Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

30 years ago, Flying Tigers was merged into Federal Express

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:11 pm

It happened on August 7th, 1989. I loved to see their livery with the T-logo on the tail. I also liked how the named their DC-8-63 "Jumbo Jet" before the 747 actually was airborne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Tiger_Line // http://www.aeromoe.com/fleets/ftl.html

TTailedTiger

Re: 30 years ago, Flying Tigers was merged into Federal Express

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:17 pm

Are there any written studies of that merger? I heard from a few FedEx employees that the Flying Tigers pilots were a really mean bunch who were constantly making trouble for everyone.

American 767

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:50 pm

The 727s and the 747s made it to wearing the Federal Express violet livery, but I don't think that any of the DC-8s ever did. I don't recall ever seeing any DC-8 repainted in Federal Express livery. They were probably phased out prior to the merger.
Ben Soriano

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:11 pm

American 767 wrote:
The 727s and the 747s made it to wearing the Federal Express violet livery, but I don't think that any of the DC-8s ever did. I don't recall ever seeing any DC-8 repainted in Federal Express livery. They were probably phased out prior to the merger.

LAXintl

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:16 pm

Being LAX headquartered have run across many ex FT employees. Seemingly many ended up (along with a few aircraft) at Long Beach based Polar Air Cargo a few years later.

In many ways, FT was the Pan Am equivalent in the freighter arena with a large global network.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

dispatchguy

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:43 pm

There are still a few FT crewmembers around FedEx, they are all identified with 96000 series employee numbers...
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

Varsity1

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:54 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Are there any written studies of that merger? I heard from a few FedEx employees that the Flying Tigers pilots were a really mean bunch who were constantly making trouble for everyone.

FT were worldwide cargo pirates. Fedex was like the Royal Navy. You can imagine how that merger went down.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

BravoOne

Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:50 am

FTL was a proud bunch of can do pilots and employees. Trouble makers, I doubt but unlike the FedEx pilots of that time, they had really done and seen it all.

trex8

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:00 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

Considering they were started by people who were in Chennaults Chinese AF American Volunteer Group "Flying Tigers" and who left active US military duty pre Pearl Harbor to fly as mercenaries for the Chinese government did one really expect them to be the most civilized debonaire people in the room? Though 4 decades later they were all given US veteran status and a retroactive USAF 2nd Lt commission and many also decorated when Congress recognized the AVG and CNAC pilots as a covert US military operation. Many like founder Bob Prescott and Dick Rossi then went to fly for CNAC when the US entered the pacific war rather than return to US military duty after the AVG was disbanded. My dad flew in CNAC regularly with Dick Rossi who was one of the original Chennault AVG aces. The original AVG people did not take to falling in line and doing as told!

TTailedTiger

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:24 am

trex8 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Considering they were started by people who were in Chennaults Chinese AF American Volunteer Group "Flying Tigers" and who left active US military duty pre Pearl Harbor to fly as mercenaries for the Chinese government did one really expect them to be the most civilized debonaire people in the room? Though 4 decades later they were all given US veteran status and a retroactive USAF 2nd Lt commission and many also decorated when Congress recognized the AVG and CNAC pilots as a covert US military operation. Many like founder Bob Prescott and Dick Rossi then went to fly for CNAC when the US entered the pacific war rather than return to US military duty after the AVG was disbanded. My dad flew in CNAC regularly with Dick Rossi who was one of the original Chennault AVG aces. The original AVG people did not take to falling in line and doing as told!

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the FedEx people I talked to weren't taking any liberties when they described the FT folks. That must have been awful for the professionals at FedEx to have to deal with.

Also, why were they allowed to be members of a foreign military? That just doesn't sit well with me.

trex8

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:53 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
trex8 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the FedEx people I talked to weren't taking any liberties when they described the FT folks. That must have been awful for the professionals at FedEx to have to deal with.

Also, why were they allowed to be members of a foreign military? That just doesn't sit well with me.

FDR knew the US would be in a war, eventually. China was going down the tubes with the Japanese taking more and more of China since '37. The US was providing aid to China including arms including planes. Well trained pilots were necessary. The Chinese Nationalist AF which only had post WW1 Italian and German biplanes to fly against state of the art Japanese ones (because the western powers UK, France and US didnt want a strong China in the 30s) were desperately short of pilots as they had literally been shot out of the sky by the Imperial Japanese AF. USG asks Chennault to set up a unit to fly P40s being shipped to China and active duty US military could volunteer for this but had to leave the US military. So USG was responsible for setting up this "mercenary" unit and getting it staffed and equipped which is why in the '90s Congress passed a resolution saying anyone involved in it was actually working for the USG on a covert military operation and entitled to the same benefits as if they had always been in the US military.
So they were out of the US military acting as private individuals working for the Chinese government but not actually in the Chinese military, actually they were paid through a private Chinese aircraft company CAMCO. Post Pearl Harbor this whole "fake" program was no longer necessary. Many returned to the US military when the AVG was absorbed into the USAAF , many did not and stayed on flying for CNAC over the hump which was a company owned by Pan Am and Curtiss and effectively functioned as the Chinese Nationalist AFs transport arm.

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 am

UPS Pilot

Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:35 pm

UPS was negotiating to buy Flying Tigers at the same time for their air rights. The majority of the aircraft were in disrepair. UPS passed but Fred Smith didn’t know. Fred overpaid for Tigers. He was afraid of UPS getting those air rights. It brought FDX increased revenues but it caused FDX to bleed money. Close to $200 million in loses in 1991 alone. UPS did end up with a few aircraft and decided to bring the airline in-house. I’ve known some of the Tigers crews. Great group of guys. The main issues with Tigers were seniority at the time of the merger. Such a great history with Flying Tigers..

flyPIT

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:22 am

UPS Pilot wrote:
UPS was negotiating to buy Flying Tigers at the same time for their air rights. The majority of the aircraft were in disrepair. UPS passed but Fred Smith didn’t know.

Not exactly the version I heard. UPS was simply outmaneuvered like so many other times (failed TNT deal, USPS contract, etc). Fred promised the FT managers in charge of making that decision a much better future at the combined company than UPS committed too. One only needs to looks at how UPS treated the Challenge Air Cargo staff after that buyout as evidence of how UPS deals with acquisitions.

UPS Pilot wrote:
Fred overpaid for Tigers. He was afraid of UPS getting those air rights. It brought FDX increased revenues but it caused FDX to bleed money. Close to $200 million in loses in 1991 alone.

That's pocket change compared to the value of all the traffic rights FX gained, which also included valuable LHR slots.
FLYi

TL925

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:23 am

Does anyone know much about the hub that Flying Tigers had at Rickenbacker Airport in Central Ohio? At its peak, what destinations did they fly from Rickenbacker and what types of frequencies? It's something which I have always been curious to learn more about. Thanks!

dustywings

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:49 am

It has been a lot of years, but when I was an Airport Operations Supervisor for the City of Chicago at ORD, I seem to remember a Flying Tigers 747 having a shark mouth painted on the nose like they had on the P-40s of WW2. They were supposed to have had a lot of complaints about the WW2 homage and the shark mouths were stripped off. I took a lot of photos at ORD, but never got a picture of one of these aircraft. Maybe somebody out there has one.

flyPIT

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:01 am

dustywings wrote:
It has been a lot of years, but when I was an Airport Operations Supervisor for the City of Chicago at ORD, I seem to remember a Flying Tigers 747 having a shark mouth painted on the nose like they had on the P-40s of WW2. They were supposed to have had a lot of complaints about the WW2 homage and the shark mouths were stripped off. I took a lot of photos at ORD, but never got a picture of one of these aircraft. Maybe somebody out there has one.

FLYi

KlimaBXsst

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:02 am

Awesome photos .... how many 747s of Flying Tigers had the nose freight capabilities?
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

UPS Pilot

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:18 am

flyPIT wrote:
UPS Pilot wrote:
UPS was negotiating to buy Flying Tigers at the same time for their air rights. The majority of the aircraft were in disrepair. UPS passed but Fred Smith didn’t know.

Not exactly the version I heard. UPS was simply outmaneuvered like so many other times (failed TNT deal, USPS contract, etc). Fred promised the FT managers in charge of making that decision a much better future at the combined company than UPS committed too. One only needs to looks at how UPS treated the Challenge Air Cargo staff after that buyout as evidence of how UPS deals with acquisitions.

UPS Pilot wrote:
Fred overpaid for Tigers. He was afraid of UPS getting those air rights. It brought FDX increased revenues but it caused FDX to bleed money. Close to $200 million in loses in 1991 alone.

That's pocket change compared to the value of all the traffic rights FX gained, which also included valuable LHR slots.

I had heard your version too. Regarding the TNT deal, jury is still out on that one. It looks as if UPS knew something that FDX didn’t know on that one too. Remember UPS pulled out of the TNT deal instead of fighting the EU ruling at the time. Now UPS is suing the EU for half of what FDX paid for TNT. UPS has also gained market share in Europe while FDX is having major problems still with TNT acquisition.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.ya ... 27787.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reu ... SKCN1PA13R

The USPS contract, you hear about the revenue but not about the profits. FDX is pulling drop boxes out of USPS locations. The drop boxes were originally supposed to account for $900 million in revenues. Why would they pull them out? The USPS contract goes to the lowest bidder.

Challenge, UPS bought them for the air rights only. No aircraft were to be part of the deal. Challenge ownership retained aircraft and operating certificate in the deal. Challenge also retained all liabilities. Challenge became Centurion. FDX was also trying to buy Challenge and the deal fell thru.

Those pics of the shark teeth 74’s of Flying Tigers are awesome.

TL925

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Awesome photos .... how many 747s of Flying Tigers had the nose freight capabilities?

In August 1989, Flying Tigers had a mixture of B747-100 and B747-200.

Based on the data I have, all the B747-100 were acquired in the secondary market. 1 x B747-100 was a passenger aircraft (N890FT and orignally delivered to Air Canada) and 8 x B747-100 were all converted freighters with side cargo doors. The background of all these aircraft are interesting and 3 were originally operated and converted into freighters by Pan Am (N819FT, N817FT and N818FT), 1 was converted by American Airlines (N820FT), 3 were converted by Boeing then sold to FedEx but originally with Delta (N803FT, N804FT and N805FT) and lastly N822FT was originally operated by Continental then sold to Iran Air Force and converted by the Iran Air Force.

Flying Tiger in August 1989 also had 13 x B747-200. Two were passenger aircraft (one was subleased at the time from World Airways and the other was subleased from Aerolineas Argentinas). The other 11 x B747-200 were all factory freighters with the nose loading door. Except for N809FT which was originally delivered to Cargolux, all the others were delivered as factory freighters to either Flying Tiger or Seaboard World Airways which was merged into Flying Tigers in 1980.

HPRamper

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:18 am

flyPIT wrote:

Whatever happened to those LHR slots? FX must have given them up long long ago, they use STN now.

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:31 am

TL925 wrote:
Flying Tiger in August 1989 also had 13 x B747-200. Two were passenger aircraft (one was subleased at the time from World Airways and the other was subleased from Aerolineas Argentinas). The other 11 x B747-200 were all factory freighters with the nose loading door. Except for N809FT which was originally delivered to Cargolux, all the others were delivered as factory freighters to either Flying Tiger or Seaboard World Airways which was merged into Flying Tigers in 1980.

The World Airways 747 was a -200C ( for Convertible) and had the nose door too.

skipness1E

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:38 am

HPRamper wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

Whatever happened to those LHR slots? FX must have given them up long long ago, they use STN now.

FedEx have used Stansted for years, it was their UK port long before the merger.

AWACSooner

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:40 pm

They also operated MAC charters for military folks overseas (think "Patriot Express") I flew on one of their -100's from Oakland-Anchorage-Yokota back in '88 when we moved to Misawa.

flyPIT

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:37 pm

UPS Pilot wrote:
I had heard your version too. Regarding the TNT deal, jury is still out on that one. It looks as if UPS knew something that FDX didn’t know on that one too. Remember UPS pulled out of the TNT deal instead of fighting the EU ruling at the time. Now UPS is suing the EU for half of what FDX paid for TNT. UPS has also gained market share in Europe while FDX is having major problems still with TNT acquisition.

UPS pulled out of the TNT deal a day or two before the EU ruling... and as a result had to pay TNT a $270 million penalty. Why didn't they just wait a day for the EU ruling, avoid that penalty, then fight it from there? But instead in the end UPS gave arch rival FedEx $270 million and a whole bunch of proprietary company information via FX's TNT merger. Congrats FX, UPS paid for one of your B777s.

As for market share, once TNT is integrated, of course UPS's market share is significantly reduced.
FLYi

OB1504

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 pm

On the Wikipedia page for Flying Tigers, there’s a picture of a 747 in Tigers colors with small FedEx titles and the caption states that Japan required the airplanes to stay in that livery for several years. Is that true? If so, why?

RetiredNWA

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:31 pm

OB1504 wrote:
On the Wikipedia page for Flying Tigers, there’s a picture of a 747 in Tigers colors with small FedEx titles and the caption states that Japan required the airplanes to stay in that livery for several years. Is that true? If so, why?

Route authority/cargo traffic rights/etc

Tigers was operated as a subsidiary for many years until the legalese was worked out on many fronts. Google is your friend - search for the Tigers & Federal Express ALPA merger/seniority integration decision....it’s a treasure trove of knowledge.

https://crewroom.alpa.org/ual/DesktopMo ... ntID=36559

69bug

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:30 am

Worked for Tigers in SIN up to the merger with Fedex. Totally different environment as far as work culture was concerned. Tigers was kept as a subsidiary because traffic rights in some countries did not automatically transfer to Fedex.

One highlight was during the aftermath of the first gulf war. There was a charter for a whole lot of fire-fighting equipment and most of them were metal frames which would be assembled on site in KWI. Tigers had two charters and there was an AN-124 to carry the more bulky stuff. All the components exceeded the standard 96x125inch pallets and even the 20foot pallets were not long enough. Tigers sent a load-planner who came to SIN with a scale drawing of the cargo holds and spent two days measuring each and every piece and planning how it should be loaded. It took three days to get it all loaded onto pallets and another day to load the two 747s. Everything had to fit together like a jigsaw as all the pallets had parts which stuck out the borders of the pallets. Some of them even were too heavy for individual positions and had to be 'floated'. This meant that one 20foot pallet would be loaded so that it occupied 4 normal (96x125inch) maindeck positions. One maindeck positions in the middle of the aircraft had a weight limit of close to 15,000lbs so you could theoretically load 60,000lbs spread over these 4 positions. As there were no restraints for floating pallets these needed to be tied down individually!. No way we could have gotten everything loaded, the load-planner was a genius!

Another event was a charter to somewhere west of Singapore. It carried some cargo there but came back with 2 US military blokes on stretchers fixed to a pallet on the maindeck. hooked up to drips etc.... just that .. nothing else on the maindeck. The cargo holds are not heated and are usually very cold so they were well covered with blankets etc.

Finally the crash on approach to KUL. Basically the tower said something like "Descend two five hundred" which the crew heard as "Descend to 500" and consequently flew into a hill. FT cut some turbine blades up and mounted it on a piece of wood. It was kept in the FT office in SIN but when we shifted no one wanted it in the (Fedex) office and I rescued it. Still have it in my weekend home. IIRC KUL got one as well.

Anilv

flyPIT

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:39 am

This publisher recently put out an excellent trio of books about FT:
https://the-airline-boutique.myshopify.com/
FLYi

rlwynn

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:51 am

I remember the whole big deal was that UPS wanted to close Liege and move it all to Cologne.
I can drive faster than you

UPS Pilot

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:34 pm

flyPIT wrote:
UPS Pilot wrote:

UPS pulled out of the TNT deal a day or two before the EU ruling... and as a result had to pay TNT a $270 million penalty. Why didn't they just wait a day for the EU ruling, avoid that penalty, then fight it from there? But instead in the end UPS gave arch rival FedEx $270 million and a whole bunch of proprietary company information via FX's TNT merger. Congrats FX, UPS paid for one of your B777s.

As for market share, once TNT is integrated, of course UPS's market share is significantly reduced.

No proprietary information and UPs paid TNT a termination fee. When UPS pulled out of the deal TNT’s stock dropped 42%. UPS gained 1.2%. UPS would have had to sell assets and give space on UPS aircraft to rivals. UPS felt it wasn’t worth it. Fed Wx needed it for a ground network in Europe where they have had major problems in Europe. UPS has been established and profitable in Europe going back 3 decades. UPS wanted TNT for Latin America and Asia. You can see from Miami Domicle growth that UPS is doing well in Latin America. Hindsight it looks like UPS made the right call with TNT like Tigers. Avoided a lot of problems and losses. $1.2 Billion if UPS wins the suit will pay for more Ocho’s.

flyPIT

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:53 pm

UPS Pilot wrote:
No proprietary information and UPs paid TNT a termination fee.

You have no idea that there was no proprietary information exchanged. Common knowledge would suggest that if company A approached company B with a buyout offer, company B would request as much internal data from company A so as to make a proper decision whether to accept or not. That data is now with FX.

Again, why not wait a day or so and allow the EU to officially deny the deal, avoiding the termination fee. If a termination fee was written in to the contract even with a denial from the competition authorities, then shame on UPS for agreeing to such a provision.

UPS Pilot wrote:
UPS wanted TNT for Latin America and Asia. You can see from Miami Domicle growth that UPS is doing well in Latin America. Hindsight it looks like UPS made the right call with TNT like Tigers. Avoided a lot of problems and losses. $1.2 Billion if UPS wins the suit will pay for more Ocho’s.

MIA domicile growth? Since the Challenge Air Cargo acquisition UPS pulled out of Caracas (would have happened anyway with the situation there), La Paz, Santa Cruz, Manaus, Lima, and Santiago (since resumed). I disagree about hindsight on Tigers and the jury is out on TNT but I think FX will find a way to make it work.
FLYi

b747400erf

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:14 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
trex8 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Professionals? Their attitude had been just as maverick. They started out small taking on everybody including governments. The FedEx attitude of they are better pilots because they pick military backgrounds even in the face of their crash record continues today. The person telling you that sounds like an attempt at being elitist not realizing they sound the same as the "bad attitude" they claim FT had.

CarbonFibre

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:50 am

Some former Tigers employees started up Polar, hence the similar tail logo, FT registrations and Polar Tiger callsign.

Flyingsottsman

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:16 am

Yeah I remember them flying into Melbourne, never saw them again here after their merger with FedEx, why didn't FedEx fly to Melbourne?

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:47 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:
why didn't FedEx fly to Melbourne?

For a while they did apparently.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos