Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Aquila3
Topic Author
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:07 pm

It is on ANSA news, can't post the link.
Not very clear yet, seems it was during a take off and the the aircraft returned for an emergency landing
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile
 
Waterbomber2
Posts: 1148
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Fortunately no injuries, but it could have killed people on the ground.

Image

https://www.corriere.it/
 
User avatar
n901wa
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:38 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:38 pm

Looks like they lost a Eng on takeoff. Parts of the LPT Blades & Vanes
 
dcajet
Posts: 4519
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:07 pm

787-8 LN-LND DY7115 FCO-LAX 298 paxs on board.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
chrisfrommalawi
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:24 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:35 pm

Is Norwegian RR or Genx? What happens in a situation like this where the aircraft goes tech like this away from the base?
 
bar11
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:04 pm

chrisfrommalawi wrote:
Is Norwegian RR or Genx? What happens in a situation like this where the aircraft goes tech like this away from the base?

RR. Both RR and Boeing are present in Italy.
Passengers will have to wait until leased replacement is in place (Hi Fly or similar).
 
dcajet
Posts: 4519
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:16 pm

chrisfrommalawi wrote:
Is Norwegian RR or Genx? What happens in a situation like this where the aircraft goes tech like this away from the base?


RR - and if indeed it's the engine, it adds to the list of Trent-related issues that Norwegian has been through.

I suppose it would be the same as with any airline that has an aircraft go INOP away from base. There are protocols that get activated in such cases, etc. Not sure if Norwegian has its own staff at FCO or if it's contracted out.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
StTim
Posts: 3655
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:39 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:17 pm

Do we know it was a wide body flight?
 
CWL757
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:39 pm

StTim wrote:
Do we know it was a wide body flight?

It was a 788 so yes it was.
A319, A320, 738, 743, 744, 752, 772, 788, C150, E175, E190, F70, R22
 
CWL757
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:40 pm

Is there anywhere other than the engines these parts could have come from?
A319, A320, 738, 743, 744, 752, 772, 788, C150, E175, E190, F70, R22
 
T4thH
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:04 pm

By this amount of parts of the jet engine, that will be expensive, even not a complete write off of the engine (with exception of some spare parts). Does someone has already seen a picture of the engine?
 
B747forever
Posts: 13844
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:28 pm

dcajet wrote:
787-8 LN-LND DY7115 FCO-LAX 298 paxs on board.


The Norwegian 787-8 seats 291 passengers. So the 298 must be counting with the crew.
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
Caryjack
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 9:45 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 pm

n901wa wrote:
Looks like they lost a Eng on takeoff. Parts of the LPT Blades & Vanes
What part of an engine would those be. They look rusty. Even the broken edges appear rusted.
 
PixelPilot
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:10 pm

Damn, RR at it again.
 
Dalmd88
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 3:19 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:57 pm

T4thH wrote:
By this amount of parts of the jet engine, that will be expensive, even not a complete write off of the engine (with exception of some spare parts). Does someone has already seen a picture of the engine?

No, not a write off. Not even remotely close to a write off likely. If it is LPT parts, then the LPT module can be removed and reworked with a new turbine installed in a shop visit and the engine can go back in service. If it is farther forward in the gas path it just means more modules get reworked. I don't think there have been any LPT failures yet. It could have been an IPT failure that took out the LPT. The IPT is one of the issues with the T1000.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 19330
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:20 am

Dalmd88 wrote:
T4thH wrote:
By this amount of parts of the jet engine, that will be expensive, even not a complete write off of the engine (with exception of some spare parts). Does someone has already seen a picture of the engine?

No, not a write off. Not even remotely close to a write off likely. If it is LPT parts, then the LPT module can be removed and reworked with a new turbine installed in a shop visit and the engine can go back in service. If it is farther forward in the gas path it just means more modules get reworked. I don't think there have been any LPT failures yet. It could have been an IPT failure that took out the LPT. The IPT is one of the issues with the T1000.

They look too small for LPT. Stators between HPT rows?

This is far from a write-off. Maybe 12%, worst case, of the engine's value. Probably less. Expensive though.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
alasizon
Posts: 2462
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:54 am

lightsaber wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:
T4thH wrote:
By this amount of parts of the jet engine, that will be expensive, even not a complete write off of the engine (with exception of some spare parts). Does someone has already seen a picture of the engine?

No, not a write off. Not even remotely close to a write off likely. If it is LPT parts, then the LPT module can be removed and reworked with a new turbine installed in a shop visit and the engine can go back in service. If it is farther forward in the gas path it just means more modules get reworked. I don't think there have been any LPT failures yet. It could have been an IPT failure that took out the LPT. The IPT is one of the issues with the T1000.

They look too small for LPT. Stators between HPT rows?

This is far from a write-off. Maybe 12%, worst case, of the engine's value. Probably less. Expensive though.

Lightsaber


For reference, here is the full article from the pictures posted upthread, there are some bigger chunks (most notably the one the little girl is holding in the first picture). I'm not an expert on engine internal components by any means so it all looks the same to me.

https://roma.corriere.it/foto-gallery/c ... 4b8d.shtml
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
T4thH
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:36 am

alasizon wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:
No, not a write off. Not even remotely close to a write off likely. If it is LPT parts, then the LPT module can be removed and reworked with a new turbine installed in a shop visit and the engine can go back in service. If it is farther forward in the gas path it just means more modules get reworked. I don't think there have been any LPT failures yet. It could have been an IPT failure that took out the LPT. The IPT is one of the issues with the T1000.

They look too small for LPT. Stators between HPT rows?

This is far from a write-off. Maybe 12%, worst case, of the engine's value. Probably less. Expensive though.

Lightsaber


For reference, here is the full article from the pictures posted upthread, there are some bigger chunks (most notably the one the little girl is holding in the first picture). I'm not an expert on engine internal components by any means so it all looks the same to me.

https://roma.corriere.it/foto-gallery/c ... 4b8d.shtml

What have till now shown/seen, are few parts, found by one or two families shortly after the incident and posted in social media (and later in news). I have calculated with dozens or one hundred times more parts lying around nearby in the next hundreds m or next km, which have not been shown or found/collected e.g..
Few weeks ago, I have had read somewhere, an in flight engine shut down regarding engine damage and not regarding external reasons (as a leaking tank e.g.) starts with minimum 1.2 million $ in best case. The purchase price for one Trent1000 is something around 15 to 25 million? (Calculated from an early big bulk order from a lease company already 2007, it is 16,25 million $, so the regular purchase price will be much higher).
Sorry, I do not believe, it is only 12%. I have asked for some pictures of the jet engine, than it will be possible, to estimate a little bit more. I am surprised not to have seen any in-flight videos of passenger (or I ´have missed them).
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3541
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:43 am

B747forever wrote:
dcajet wrote:
787-8 LN-LND DY7115 FCO-LAX 298 paxs on board.


The Norwegian 787-8 seats 291 passengers. So the 298 must be counting with the crew.


If there were only 7 crew (2 pilots, 5 FA's) they would be below the required min. numbers (8) to operate the flight.
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:56 am

rbavfan wrote:
B747forever wrote:
dcajet wrote:
787-8 LN-LND DY7115 FCO-LAX 298 paxs on board.


The Norwegian 787-8 seats 291 passengers. So the 298 must be counting with the crew.


If there were only 7 crew (2 pilots, 5 FA's) they would be below the required min. numbers (8) to operate the flight.


Infants are also counted as pax and require not always a seat.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
T4thH
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:12 am

Hundreds of pieces falling from the sky, 25 vehicles and 12 houses have been damaged (can be expected, they are still counting) and one man was hit, by luck, he stayed unhurt and has been only "feared".
http://avherald.com/h?article=4cb6a09d&opt=0

They have had really luck, as moments later, the jet would have been over the beaches of Rome which have been full. I have even seen a car in the linked video in the news below , with two impact marks on one single windshield of a car (two next to each other below right (one impact) and one far up right (second impact).
https://roma.corriere.it/notizie/cronaca/19_agosto_10/frammenti-aereo-cadono-fiumicino-problema-motore-7032f0ea-bb8f-11e9-9f76-c4a17a124b8d.shtml
 
Blerg
Posts: 3690
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:24 am

Do we know what parts of the engine were actually falling out? Is the outer shell of the engine intact?
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:40 am

Seen all the previous issues with the RR engines at the 787, time for some more stringent ETOPS restrictions ?

See : https://www.mro-network.com/engines-eng ... wered-787s
And: https://www.mro-network.com/engines-eng ... engine-fix
And : https://www.mro-network.com/manufacturi ... nt-version
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
T4thH
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:20 am

747classic wrote:
Seen all the previous issues with the RR engines at the 787, time for some more stringent ETOPS restrictions ?

See : https://www.mro-network.com/engines-eng ... wered-787s
And: https://www.mro-network.com/engines-eng ... engine-fix
And : https://www.mro-network.com/manufacturi ... nt-version


Has not RR already restricted the Trent 1000 Pack C to 140 min in Mar-2018, so ETOPS has been already reduced to 140 min by FAA e.g. in Apr-2018 (according Wikipedia)? Norwegian is flying them and several jets are still parked regarding issues/pending upgrades with the engines. And now the next of the few still flying has popped up.

It is really sad to see, how bad the Trent 1000 is and in comparison, how excellent the Trent XWB of the A350.

EDIT: Norwegian has also few Trent 1000 TEN in use, is it possible, it was one of the newest Trent 1000 generation? How it can be identified, which version it was?
 
RickNRoll
Posts: 1865
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:30 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:43 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:
T4thH wrote:
By this amount of parts of the jet engine, that will be expensive, even not a complete write off of the engine (with exception of some spare parts). Does someone has already seen a picture of the engine?

No, not a write off. Not even remotely close to a write off likely. If it is LPT parts, then the LPT module can be removed and reworked with a new turbine installed in a shop visit and the engine can go back in service. If it is farther forward in the gas path it just means more modules get reworked. I don't think there have been any LPT failures yet. It could have been an IPT failure that took out the LPT. The IPT is one of the issues with the T1000.

They look too small for LPT. Stators between HPT rows?

This is far from a write-off. Maybe 12%, worst case, of the engine's value. Probably less. Expensive though.

Lightsaber
Doesn't debris tend to get sucked in from the front to the back?
 
Dalmd88
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 3:19 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:48 am

RickNRoll wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:
No, not a write off. Not even remotely close to a write off likely. If it is LPT parts, then the LPT module can be removed and reworked with a new turbine installed in a shop visit and the engine can go back in service. If it is farther forward in the gas path it just means more modules get reworked. I don't think there have been any LPT failures yet. It could have been an IPT failure that took out the LPT. The IPT is one of the issues with the T1000.

They look too small for LPT. Stators between HPT rows?

This is far from a write-off. Maybe 12%, worst case, of the engine's value. Probably less. Expensive though.

Lightsaber
Doesn't debris tend to get sucked in from the front to the back?

True, exterior debris always comes in form the front. I would doubt this failure is a product of something getting sucked in the intake. Usually that really only effects the first stage fan. For the T1000 it is called the LPC. Most likely something let go internally like the HPT or IPT and it all goes out the back end and tends to tear up all the stages aft of the initial problem. On the tear down of the engine It will be very obvious what failed first. The real question is why it failed.

Was the engine on a watch cycle? That would mean defects have been found but they are in typical slow growth areas and get monitored with repetitive boroscope inspections. If this is the case those areas could now get accelerated inspection criteria for other engines with the same symptoms.

Worse case is this was an undetected new failure.
 
trex8
Posts: 5522
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:04 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:06 am

well its better than what happened with this engine on an A380! stuff falling off that GP700 would definitely have caused lots more serious damage!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x753VXDeJ8
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2655
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:32 am

Rumours has it, it was a Package B engine. If true, doesn't bode well for restoration of ETOPS 180.

Anecdotally, Norwegian has almost permanently had a 787 parked in CPH sans one or two engines for at least a couple of years. Not the same aircraft, obviously. The cost must be astronomically by now, and whilst RR (Rotating Rubbish) are picking up the tab, the loss of goodwill from passengers who booked a DY flight on a 787 with modern IFE and WiFi, only to be served by a HiFly or Privilige Style aircraft in more or less clapped out condition, must be considerable as well.
Signature. You just read one.
 
B747forever
Posts: 13844
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:24 am

747classic wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
B747forever wrote:

The Norwegian 787-8 seats 291 passengers. So the 298 must be counting with the crew.


If there were only 7 crew (2 pilots, 5 FA's) they would be below the required min. numbers (8) to operate the flight.


Infants are also counted as pax and require not always a seat.


Forgot about that. My bad. Seems then that the flight was packed!
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
Armadillo1
Posts: 521
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:30 am

why it cant be 8 crew plus 290 pax? why 291 only?
 
trex8
Posts: 5522
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:04 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:28 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Rumours has it, it was a Package B engine. If true, doesn't bode well for restoration of ETOPS 180.

Anecdotally, Norwegian has almost permanently had a 787 parked in CPH sans one or two engines for at least a couple of years. Not the same aircraft, obviously. The cost must be astronomically by now, and whilst RR (Rotating Rubbish) are picking up the tab, the loss of goodwill from passengers who booked a DY flight on a 787 with modern IFE and WiFi, only to be served by a HiFly or Privilige Style aircraft in more or less clapped out condition, must be considerable as well.

I suspect the vast majority of Norwegian pax are travelling solely on price, anything they get from nice seats to IFE etc is just icing on the cake.
 
EK77WNH
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:42 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:19 pm

While a sad and unfortunate set of circumstances, it ended up with a HiFly A380 doing Rome-Boston-Rome today.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September
 
jamsco99
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:02 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:36 pm

A Norwegian 787 was also pushed back into a fence yesterday at gatwick.
I did start a thread on it but as often happens with my threads it was deleted without an explanation
 
Dalmd88
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 3:19 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 pm

Today I heard it was an IPT failure. No other details yet.
 
cat3appr50
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:42 pm

So, a Norwegian (DY7115) B788 with around 290 passengers on board and with RR Trent 1000 engines had an engine failure in initial climb (BTW based on the calculated normal loading for number of passengers and route and associated fuel requirements, etc. the flight likely was able to takeoff with a derated/assumed temperature reduced takeoff thrust) below 3,000’ msl on August 10, 2019 which resulted in the ejection of engine parts (as reported “glowing pieces of metal rained down in the hundreds”) and as reported “25 vehicles and 12 houses were damaged by debris falling off the aircraft.” And yet to date there is no preliminary objective data, reports, or media information regarding what happened, the full extent of damage, what specific internal engine parts failed, whether there were any other damaged areas of the aircraft, etc. And photos of the incident aircraft (afaik only a photo of the engine exhaust area only) are minimal at best.

And yet, when the SWA 1380 B737 with CFM56-7B engines, engine failure occurred on April 17, 2018 there were very quickly, in just a few days, a plethora of photos including the engine and overall aircraft, technical information regarding the failure, NTSB quick response preliminary data and media public presentations, and nonstop media reports, etc.

Hard to understand the lack of information regarding what actually (objectively) happened in this flight incident.
 
boerje
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:16 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:03 pm

cat3appr50 wrote:
And yet, when the SWA 1380 B737 with CFM56-7B engines, engine failure occurred on April 17, 2018 there were very quickly, in just a few days, a plethora of photos including the engine and overall aircraft, technical information regarding the failure, NTSB quick response preliminary data and media public presentations, and nonstop media reports, etc.


SWA 1380 had 1 fatality in US airspace. And a person partially ejected from an aircraft gets people's attention.
 
Dalmd88
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 3:19 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:43 pm

boerje wrote:
cat3appr50 wrote:
And yet, when the SWA 1380 B737 with CFM56-7B engines, engine failure occurred on April 17, 2018 there were very quickly, in just a few days, a plethora of photos including the engine and overall aircraft, technical information regarding the failure, NTSB quick response preliminary data and media public presentations, and nonstop media reports, etc.


SWA 1380 had 1 fatality in US airspace. And a person partially ejected from an aircraft gets people's attention.

Yes, that pretty much is why that incident had way more media coverage. Engines do fail like the Norwegian one did and the media doesn't usually pick up the story. If it had shelled parts out the back in the same manner, but over the Mediterranean, there would be even less media coverage. We being aviation folks here, would most likely still talk about the incident. When more info gets made public I bet we will talk about it even more.

So this engine failed on Saturday If I recall. I suspect it was still on wing for the initial investigation until at least Monday or Tuesday. The Regulating Authorities first had to look at it with reps from Boeing and Rolls. Possibly even US NTSB and UK authorities. That takes time. Removing the engine takes 8-10 hours, once you get all the equipment in place. I would bet Rolls sent a team from the UK with all the tooling to remove the engine. Next the engine will get shipped back to Derby, UK for tear down. The tear down will likely take 4-5 days with the regulators inspecting as it comes apart. At that point some back channel info might get leaked. Kind of how I heard the IPT is likely at fault. That info probably came from an on wing initial assessment.

When there isn't a trail of blood there isn't the daily news briefings from the NTSB. That doesn't mean they are not investigating.
 
lowbank
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:32 am

cat3appr50 wrote:
So, a Norwegian (DY7115) B788 with around 290 passengers on board and with RR Trent 1000 engines had an engine failure in initial climb (BTW based on the calculated normal loading for number of passengers and route and associated fuel requirements, etc. the flight likely was able to takeoff with a derated/assumed temperature reduced takeoff thrust) below 3,000’ msl on August 10, 2019 which resulted in the ejection of engine parts (as reported “glowing pieces of metal rained down in the hundreds”) and as reported “25 vehicles and 12 houses were damaged by debris falling off the aircraft.” And yet to date there is no preliminary objective data, reports, or media information regarding what happened, the full extent of damage, what specific internal engine parts failed, whether there were any other damaged areas of the aircraft, etc. And photos of the incident aircraft (afaik only a photo of the engine exhaust area only) are minimal at best.

And yet, when the SWA 1380 B737 with CFM56-7B engines, engine failure occurred on April 17, 2018 there were very quickly, in just a few days, a plethora of photos including the engine and overall aircraft, technical information regarding the failure, NTSB quick response preliminary data and media public presentations, and nonstop media reports, etc.

Hard to understand the lack of information regarding what actually (objectively) happened in this flight incident.


Investigations like this are covered by something called Annex 13, anyone involved in the investigation is bound not to talk about it.
Every days a school day.
 
User avatar
JerseyFlyer
Posts: 1490
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:24 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:16 am

I'm surprised there were no photos of the exterior damage to the engine after landing. Maybe I missed them.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 23530
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:45 pm

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... de-460649/ has an interesting write up:

Engine parts were ejected over the southern areas of the city and some 4kg of turbine blade debris was recovered from the ground, some of which had damaged buildings and cars.

ANSV states that the aircraft also suffered damage to its left wing, its flaps and horizontal stabiliser, as well as superficial marks to its fuselage. The overweight landing also resulted in the left-hand main-gear tyres deflating.

Analysis of engine data downloaded from onboard monitoring units, says the inquiry, led to the hypothesis that an intermediate pressure turbine blade broke, and subsequent borescope examination revealed that two such blades had fractured.

One of the blades appeared to have suffered "progressive damage" while the other seemed to have broken from overload stresses, probably as a result of the other blade's separation.

And:

"The rupture mechanism has been attributed to fatigue corrosion," it states, adding that the Norwegian incident appears "similar".

One of the previous incidents showed that damage to the blades can result in low-pressure turbine damage and the risk of high-energy debris being ejected from the engine.

ANSV also points out that the blade failure in the Norwegian 787's left-hand engine occurred some 200 cycles below expected limits, and that the right-hand engine, at 103 cycles below limit, was within this margin.

So it seems the inspection regime did not catch this case of fatigue corrosion that led to a serious incident.

Seems we could see even stricter inspection criteria?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:45 am

Or a further restriction on ETOPS from the present restriction of 180 minutes to 120 minutes. What is the present IFSD rate (incl. this latest IFSD) for the affected 787 RR powered aircraft ?

For the propulsion system :
330 minutes : < 0,010 /1000 engine hours IFSD rate
180 minutes : < 0,020/ 1000 engine hours IFSD rate
120 minutes : < 0,050/ 1000 engine hours IFSD rate
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
FatCat
Posts: 1038
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Re: Norwegian plane loses small pieces over inhabitated area at FCO

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:54 am

cat3appr50 wrote:
So, a Norwegian (DY7115) B788 with around 290 passengers on board and with RR Trent 1000 engines had an engine failure in initial climb (BTW based on the calculated normal loading for number of passengers and route and associated fuel requirements, etc. the flight likely was able to takeoff with a derated/assumed temperature reduced takeoff thrust) below 3,000’ msl on August 10, 2019 which resulted in the ejection of engine parts (as reported “glowing pieces of metal rained down in the hundreds”) and as reported “25 vehicles and 12 houses were damaged by debris falling off the aircraft.” And yet to date there is no preliminary objective data, reports, or media information regarding what happened, the full extent of damage, what specific internal engine parts failed, whether there were any other damaged areas of the aircraft, etc. And photos of the incident aircraft (afaik only a photo of the engine exhaust area only) are minimal at best.

And yet, when the SWA 1380 B737 with CFM56-7B engines, engine failure occurred on April 17, 2018 there were very quickly, in just a few days, a plethora of photos including the engine and overall aircraft, technical information regarding the failure, NTSB quick response preliminary data and media public presentations, and nonstop media reports, etc.

Hard to understand the lack of information regarding what actually (objectively) happened in this flight incident.

Italian legislation is a bit different as the US' legislation.
The ANSV will investigate, as it is an airplane incident. But if there are damages to persons or things, the regular magistracy will coaudivate in the investigation, and results may be classified, as if it is an investigation for a criminal offence.
Also note that ANSV is a very professional agency, but it is badly understaffed.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos