BeachBoy

Re: HA to launch OGG-LAS

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:56 pm

The weird arrival and departure time is to allow HA to operate from their one LAS gate—D35.

The 4:30 am arrival and 6:30 am departure nicely fits between flight 17’s departure (1:50 am) and flight 8’s arrival (7:25 am).

LittleFokker

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:56 pm

In the mid 2000s, after getting some of their 757s ETOPS certified, HP flew LAS-OGG daily for about 6 months before ultimately abandoning the route.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Sperl19

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:00 pm

Planes4you wrote:
If only they flew to DFW

Amen to that.

Aceskywalker

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:39 pm

Sperl19 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
If only they flew to DFW

Amen to that.

Trying to fly to an AA fortress hub would maybe not be the best way for further HA expansion in my opinion.

OGG/HNL-DFW is beyond the reach of their A321neo, which would necessitate either using an A330 or a future 787.

Its also contrary to how HA has been opening routes.
JFK and BOS have direct feed and colocation with partner B6, plus no competition aside from a seasonal DL flight from JFK.

MSPNWA

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:41 pm

RWA380 wrote:
Here read this please before you embarrass yourself further, this is why I hate sharing knowledge here, there is always one person just like you - https://www.quora.com/Where-do-people-f ... r-vacation

I'm not at all worried about being embarrassed. I don't have to be embarrassed about what the numbers are telling us. Everywhere I turn there's another stat that tells us this isn't a Maui-dominated point of sale route. The best I've seen from you in this "9th Island aura" of anecdotal evidence that doesn't include any empirical data behind it. No one is debating that LAS isn't popular with Hawaii residents. It clearly is. What is up for debate is the assertion that this flight is going to be filled by Maui point of sale. The data says no.

Another example: I just found this article that says that more than 300,000 Hawaiians visit Las Vegas every year: https://www.kcbx.org/post/journeys-disc ... d#stream/0

The numbers don't add up. It means that Maui has to have an extraordinary per capita demand to LAS above and beyond the rest of Hawaii for this flight to sniff 50/50.

afcjets

Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:22 am

Why do Hawaiians prefer downtown vs. the strip?

PHLCVGAMTK

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 am

I wouldn't entirely discount LAS POS. My time living in Las Vegas happened to coincide with a major election cycle, and in my spare time I volunteered to knock doors to get out the vote. Houses with Hawaiian paraphrenalia, ranging from flags to signs reminding guests to remove their slippahs, were common sightings on my walk routes through random neighborhoods. There is a decent VFR market to be served by this flight, both to Maui and to interisland connections.

Vegas is also the one city in the world with the best claim to being a true 24 hour city; I don't think the strange timings will hurt nearly as much as people think they will.

jetwet1

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:36 am

afcjets wrote:
Why do Hawaiians prefer downtown vs. the strip?

The very basic version, Sam and Bill Boyd, Coors beer and the California hotel.

Sam and Bill built the Cal, it opened in 1975, business wasn't good, as a last ditch effort to save the place, Sam and Bill went to Hawaii where Sam had done some time during his stint in the army, they did the rounds of the the travel agents there, dropped off some cases of Coors (wasn't available in Hawaii at the time) rekindled/made friends with the locals, got them to come out.

Over the decades they tailored the Cal to meet the Hawaiian preferences, food, drinks, design etc and again, built relationships,.

PHLCVGAMTK wrote:
I wouldn't entirely discount LAS POS. My time living in Las Vegas happened to coincide with a major election cycle, and in my spare time I volunteered to knock doors to get out the vote. Houses with Hawaiian paraphrenalia, ranging from flags to signs reminding guests to remove their slippahs, were common sightings on my walk routes through random neighborhoods. There is a decent VFR market to be served by this flight, both to Maui and to interisland connections.

Vegas is also the one city in the world with the best claim to being a true 24 hour city; I don't think the strange timings will hurt nearly as much as people think they will.

As I said above, there will be some locals that use the flight the go back to the Islands or for vacations, I just don't think it will be that many.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos