MIflyer12
Topic Author

AA gets permanent injunction against mechanics union

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Let's see how long this thread lasts.

As reported by Reuters:

A U.S. federal court on Monday issued a permanent injunction against American Airlines Group Inc’s (AAL.O) mechanics union, which the airline had accused of illegal slowdowns it said had devastated its operations during the peak summer travel season.

The judgment, issued in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, made permanent an earlier order against the TWU-IAM Association demanding the workers stop interfering in American’s operations.

Monday’s order prohibits employees from “calling, permitting, instigating, authorizing, encouraging, participating in, approving, or continuing any form of disruption to or interference with American’s airline operations,” including a refusal to accept overtime or complete any maintenance repairs in the normal course of work.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-amer ... SKCN1V220P

Perhaps the union will appeal this.

LAXdude1023

Re: AA gets permanent injunction against mechanics union

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:16 pm

Just when you thought AAs work culture couldn’t get any more cuddly.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

FlyHossD

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:18 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:

Positively warm and fuzzy!
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

lightsaber

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:34 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Positively warm and fuzzy!

Comrade, you are happy.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

panam330

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:34 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:

No kidding. What a mess - and it's only getting worse.

GVP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:55 am

sagechan

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:22 am

Hopefully, this is enough to get NMB to add more mediation, the solution is a contract.
717, 733, 734, 738, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA

JohnAudiR18

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:43 am

Pardon me for sounding extremely dumb with this, but what this mean in simpleton English?

Antarius

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:45 am

Whoops... looks like some prior thread spammers are going to eat some crow
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR MAA KTM

Blockplus

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:58 am

So basically nothing is going to change and they will get fined. And nothing will change and union leaders will be arrested for not demanding employees work more than a 40 hr week.

reltney

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:20 am

I worked a lower level management position at AA and it is a nightmare. The airline thrives putting employee groups against each other. Cannot thank my current airline for hiring me away. My brother still is at AA and nothing changed..guilty till proven innocent. Amon Carter blvd is in my rear view mirror and never turning back.... you cannot force anyone to work overtime....f them...
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

Dalmd88

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:12 am

They would have a tough time getting me to work overtime. Life is too short to spend my free time at work. If the operation depends on overtime for regular operation they have a mechanic shortage and need to start hiring. Any thing above 10-15% is signs you don't have enough people. Considering that I would imagine they are in the same boat as Delta with a very greying AMT work force, they need to get going and hire the next generation.

NWAESC

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:44 am

The company now has the Association right where it wants it. The Association is DOA the second they try to fine an individual AMT. Meanwhile, Samuelson has already backed himself into a corner by saying he'll never sign a "crap agreement." So look for some sort of deal where the company agrees to drop the suit in exchange for a vote that bypasses any recommendation by the negotiating committee.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

MIflyer12
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:45 am

sagechan wrote:
Hopefully, this is enough to get NMB to add more mediation, the solution is a contract.

Mediation was ended months ago. It's time to ask if both sides will accept arbitration to bring this to a quicker end.

sagechan

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:58 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
sagechan wrote:

Mediation was ended months ago. It's time to ask if both sides will accept arbitration to bring this to a quicker end.

The NMB hasn't released so mediation hasn't ended and could resume. Getting to arbitration may be best though.
717, 733, 734, 738, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA

ual763

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:02 pm

reltney wrote:
I worked a lower level management position at AA and it is a nightmare. The airline thrives putting employee groups against each other. Cannot thank my current airline for hiring me away. My brother still is at AA and nothing changed..guilty till proven innocent. Amon Carter blvd is in my rear view mirror and never turning back.... you cannot force anyone to work overtime....f them...

Tell that to the thousands of air traffic controllers who have been working mandatory overtime for years.
From flying to the NOTAM office

GVP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:22 pm

Neither the IAM US CBA nor the TWU AA CBA contain language for mandatory overtime. Overtime is a member’s choice.

EA CO AS

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:33 pm

GVP wrote:
Neither the IAM US CBA nor the TWU AA CBA contain language for mandatory overtime. Overtime is a member’s choice.

And yet plenty of other CBAs contain mandatory OT language when the operation has critical needs. Just like anything else, it’s something that can and will be negotiated.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

GVP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:45 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
GVP wrote:

And yet plenty of other CBAs contain mandatory OT language when the operation has critical needs. Just like anything else, it’s something that can and will be negotiated.

Company hasn’t asked for it and the OT Article has been TAed already.

So there is no and will not be mandatory OT for maintenance.

NWAESC

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:46 pm

Look for a call to vote coming soon.

Samuelson's chest-thumping has backfired.

Amiga500

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:12 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Let's see how long this thread lasts.

As reported by Reuters:

The judgment, issued in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, made permanent an earlier order against the TWU-IAM Association demanding the workers stop interfering in American’s operations.

Monday’s order prohibits employees from “calling, permitting, instigating, authorizing, encouraging, participating in, approving, or continuing any form of disruption to or interference with American’s airline operations,” including a refusal to accept overtime or complete any maintenance repairs in the normal course of work.

The first extract is quite unintentionally funny. If workers were to stop interfering in American's operations, then there would not be any operations.

(From outside the US) I do not see how anyone can be forced to work overtime.

Furthermore, and much more concerning, with such an open ended order, the court clown/judge has given the American boardroom carteblanche to flog their mechanics - which can only end up in one inevitable conclusion - a tired man or woman misses something and lives are put at risk.

GVP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:24 pm

Samuelson stated in DFW at a rally for UNITE , he will not agree nor sign a concessionary contract.

MIflyer12
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:24 pm

Amiga500 wrote:
[
Furthermore, and much more concerning, with such an open ended order, the court clown/judge has given the American boardroom carteblanche to flog their mechanics - which can only end up in one inevitable conclusion - a tired man or woman misses something and lives are put at risk.

AA doesn't enforce the order - the court does.

As noted above, there are plenty of occupations in the U.S. where overtime is mandatory. At the judge's discretion being a mechanic at AA is now one - irrespective of contract language.

GVP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:26 pm

And the Association will NOT agree to arbitration, the IAM nor the TWU has never agreed to it in the airlines. The APA and the APFA both lost their CBA arbitration in negotiations.

GVP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:27 pm

To this day AA has not disciplined one mechanic for a slowdown.

GVP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:28 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
[

As noted above, there are plenty of occupations in the U.S. where overtime is mandatory. At the judge's discretion being a mechanic at AA is now one - irrespective of contract language.

The judge cannot overrule a CBA under the RLA, the 14th Amendment outlawed slavery.

Amiga500

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:33 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

Utterly irrelevant.

1. AA says work more.
2. Judge agrees.
3. Tired worker makes mistake.
4. Passengers at risk.

Who gives two flying fks about which party "enforces" the order if the end result is still a smoking hole in the ground?

Unfortunately, the judge should probably have been a lot more precise in their court order. I see no sign of an upper limit on the amount of overtime American can now force their workers servants to do.

MIflyer12 wrote:

Any wonder America is a mess. To borrow and misuse a term, the US legal system has jumped the shark (indeed, it probably long since has jumped the shark!).
Last edited by Amiga500 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NWAESC

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:38 pm

GVP wrote:
Samuelson stated in DFW at a rally for UNITE , he will not agree nor sign a concessionary contract.

That was then, this is now Boof.

Look for an agreement to vote that bypasses any recommendations by the NC coming soon.

GVP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:41 pm

NWAESC wrote:
GVP wrote:

That was then, this is now Boof.

Look for an agreement to vote that bypasses any recommendations by the NC coming soon.

This was this morning.

Don’t know who Boof is?

ckfred

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:41 pm

First, I know a lot of unionized workers who gladly take on overtime. When pay is time and a half or double, a few hours per week adds up. The fact that AA mechanics aren't taking overtime tells me there is a concerted effort to disrupt AA's operations.

Second, I wonder if legacy AA employees are having misgivings about siding with Parker instead of Horton, when US Air was making the bid to buy AA out of Chapter 11.

Third, it seems to me that while Parker may not have learned from Bob Crandall about how to run a top-notch airline (based on complaints from passengers), it seems he has taken a page from the Crandall book on labor relations.

I know some pilots who, back in the Crandall era, despised him. But, they also understood that if Crandall had been CEO of United, Delta, or Northwest, AA would not have been as successful as it was in the 80s and 90s. I don't get the feeling that they feel the same way about Parker.

GVP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:44 pm

AA’s mechanics are taking OT and field trips, there was one last week for an MD80 Engine Change.

And once again, they can’t be forced to work OT.

NWAESC

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:50 pm

GVP wrote:

This was this morning.

So he'll have a choice to make: He can either not let the membership vote, or the Assoc. will absorb any fines coming. Meanwhile, all the chest-thumpers get to sign letters swearing to play nice.

That's a tough spot to to be in.

GVP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:01 pm

NWAESC wrote:
GVP wrote:

This was this morning.

So he'll have a choice to make: He can either not let the membership vote, or the Assoc. will absorb any fines coming. Meanwhile, all the chest-thumpers get to sign letters swearing to play nice.

That's a tough spot to to be in.

AA has not asked for any fines nor has the Judge awarded any.

https://doc-0g-2c-docs.googleuserconten ... e=download

DL757NYC

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:37 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
They would have a tough time getting me to work overtime. Life is too short to spend my free time at work. If the operation depends on overtime for regular operation they have a mechanic shortage and need to start hiring. Any thing above 10-15% is signs you don't have enough people. Considering that I would imagine they are in the same boat as Delta with a very greying AMT work force, they need to get going and hire the next generation.

I worked for Delta and they ran their employees into the ground because of lack of employees. Do more with less and give a little bonus to make it appear like they care.

kabq737

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:48 pm

To me all of this just seems immensely short sighted. The aviation industry is likely on its way to having a shortage of experienced professionals. Many projections think that this won't just be a pilot shortage. It makes one wonder if AA is playing their cards right. If AA creates a reputation of being unfriendly to their workers it could be interesting to see how much success they have in recruiting in the future.

As one of the worlds largest airlines I am sure that AA will still be able to get people but if they become the "last choice" of the large US carriers they could find themselves attracting lower quality candidates in the future.

Then again, in my opinion AA cares a lot more about todays profits than tomorrows issues so none of this comes as a surprise to me.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
Airliners.net Forum Moderator

NWAESC

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:55 pm

AA has both a greying workforce (as noted above) and a much larger workforce compared to it's peers.

You also have a workforce represented by an Association they didn't vote for, kept from voting (yes or no) on a contract offer by a union "leader" that doesn't fully understand the RLA.

Tough spot to be in.

apodino

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:55 pm

GVP wrote:

The irony about this is, the demonstration was actually LSG Sky Chefs employees seeking a new deal. This is a group that provides catering to AA. Keeping Catering in house has been one of the sticking points of the JCBA. So Samuelson is supporting the very workers that would take the catering work away from association members by supporting this UNITE rally.

As for the injunction, no big surprise here other than it took so long for the judge to rule. The association is really in a bad spot here. I doubt they will agree to binding arbitration since they say both the Pilots and Flight Attendants get burned big time by that. However, the association has almost no leverage right now. They are going to have to put something to the membership to vote on. If the membership votes no, then that puts pressure back on Parker and Isom. However, one could make an argument that encouraging a no vote would go against the spirit of this injunction. Also, I don't see the union fining anyone since although the company used statistical models to convince a judge that there is an action going on, trying to prove that individual members are responsible is almost impossible. And also, the FAA will be taking a very close look at this, because if stuff gets pencilwhipped and rushed because of this order and the FAA sees it, now AA is in trouble as well.

One other option that the association has is an appeal. The judge in this case does not have a great reputation in the legal community as he is a judge that most lawyers despise, and maybe an appeal could get a higher court to toss this.

Lastly, it is no secret that many of the employees despise the association period and want to hurt them as much as the company right now. Since this injunction is against the association, what if there was a successful raid by another group (Say AMFA for example) prior to a JCBA? Would the injunction apply to a new group, or would it be quashed because the association is decertified?

GVP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:58 pm

AA doesn’t cater line LSG, at five LUS’ stations US delivers the food, drink, ice etc. they don’t prepare meals like LSG does. At the five stations LSG only prepares the meals.

apodino

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:59 pm

kabq737 wrote:
To me all of this just seems immensely short sighted. The aviation industry is likely on its way to having a shortage of experienced professionals. Many projections think that this won't just be a pilot shortage. It makes one wonder if AA is playing their cards right. If AA creates a reputation of being unfriendly to their workers it could be interesting to see how much success they have in recruiting in the future.

As one of the worlds largest airlines I am sure that AA will still be able to get people but if they become the "last choice" of the large US carriers they could find themselves attracting lower quality candidates in the future.

Then again, in my opinion AA cares a lot more about todays profits than tomorrows issues so none of this comes as a surprise to me.

To the last point, they haven't even made investors happy. Millions in stock buybacks and dividend payments, and the stock is near its 52 week low. Right now at AA the employees aren't happy, the Customers aren't happy, and Wall Street isn't happy. How does a CEO survive very long with all of these issues?

As for the first paragraph, I can speak to one position in particular (Dispatcher), and it seems they are getting 1000 aps per opening for this position, and hiring 30 candidates at a time. The demand is there still. Same with the pilots, and they even use this thing called an organizational fit assessment. If you fail it, you are done.

That being said, all my friends at Delta, United, and Southwest all seem happy to be there. Not so much at AA.

ikramerica

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:00 pm

I'm assuming the overtime part is regarding when there is a delay or IROP that might require the mechanic to work past their scheduled time on an ad hoc basis, not SCHEDULED overtime. This kind of thing is common in just about any profession outside of government jobs. It's not an understaffing issue when no staff is coming in to replace you because the shop is running late before closing, for example.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

apodino

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:01 pm

GVP wrote:
AA doesn’t cater line LSG, at five LUS’ stations US delivers the food, drink, ice etc. they don’t prepare meals like LSG does. At the five stations LSG only prepares the meals.

Exactly. And the company wants to change this so LSG would do it all, and that LUS catering would go away. The people that would do this work are the very people that Samuelson was defending today at the rally. The US workers currently doing this work wouldn't be if Parker gets his way.

kabq737

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:04 pm

apodino wrote:
kabq737 wrote:

To the last point, they haven't even made investors happy. Millions in stock buybacks and dividend payments, and the stock is near its 52 week low. Right now at AA the employees aren't happy, the Customers aren't happy, and Wall Street isn't happy. How does a CEO survive very long with all of these issues?

As for the first paragraph, I can speak to one position in particular (Dispatcher), and it seems they are getting 1000 aps per opening for this position, and hiring 30 candidates at a time. The demand is there still. Same with the pilots, and they even use this thing called an organizational fit assessment. If you fail it, you are done.

That being said, all my friends at Delta, United, and Southwest all seem happy to be there. Not so much at AA.

Yes that makes sense and I believe that they get lots of aps right now. I am just thinking that long term creating a culture of employee frustration could kick them hard in the behind sometime in the future. However one looks at it AA is far from healed of their merger and bankruptcy wounds and this whole process has just been another signal of that.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
Airliners.net Forum Moderator

UpNAWAy

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:05 pm

GVP wrote:

A contract that pays everyone more is not Concessionary! A contract that cost the company a lot more is not Concessionary.

Why must unions lie?

ikramerica

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:05 pm

apodino wrote:
kabq737 wrote:

Sorry, but I've been reading about how horrible AA is for decades. The employees have forced out CEOs and then get mad at the new one. Back in the early 2000s it was so bad they were considering BK then so my Mom and I cashed in some miles to fly F to Japan.

They always say everything is unfair and management is evil, year after year after year. Yet through multiple AA management changes, a merger where US took over, new management since then, doesn't matter. AA is evil, employees are exploited.

Either it can't be fixed or it's posturing. Either way what exactly can be done?

NWAESC

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:06 pm

Who is he to decide, anyway? Let the members vote, and let the chips fall where they may!

ikramerica

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:10 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
GVP wrote:

A contract that pays everyone more is not Concessionary! A contract that cost the company a lot more is not Concessionary.

Why must unions lie?

In union talk, if you ask for 10% and they offer 5%, you are being asked to make unfair concessions. In government unions, if your department payroll is scheduled to grow 3% year over year but you only get 2%, it's a cut in funding.

GVP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:18 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
GVP wrote:

Why must unions lie?

There is more to a contract than pay. AA wants to outsource more cutting headcount by attrition.

And he wants to increase healthcare costs and freeze the IAM Pension.

GVP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:29 pm

NWAESC wrote:
Who is he to decide, anyway? Let the members vote, and let the chips fall where they may!

The International President, that’s who is and it’s up to him, GVP Sito Pantoja’s decision.

Aptivaboy

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:38 pm

the 14th Amendment outlawed slavery.

I think you mean the 13th Amendment. ;)

NWAESC

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:04 pm

GVP wrote:
NWAESC wrote:

The International President, that’s who is and it’s up to him, GVP Sito Pantoja’s decision.

You've just confirmed that under the Association, the membership has no say in the direction of their careers. Good job.

You sure you don't want to walk that back, even a little?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos