Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

par13del

Re: AA gets permanent injunction against mechanics union

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:27 pm

So why exactly don't more union members resign or retire and move on, the good ones will find jobs elsewhere and be done with all the stress involved, at times quality of life is not always about the money. Working conditions count for a lot and there is only so much your co-corkers can do to make the environment palatable.

Boof02671

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:34 pm

Where are they going to find a job making $55 an hour?

par13del

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:55 am

...with globalization...anywhere.
How about with the FAA inspecting WN, or heaven forbid other airlines in the USA or someone who needs qualified mechanics?
I do not believe that you are saying that they can only work at AA, they must like the stress.

Silver1SWA

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:03 am

par13del wrote:
How about with the FAA inspecting WN, or heaven forbid other airlines in the USA or someone who needs qualified mechanics?
I do not believe that you are saying that they can only work at AA, they must like the stress.

He’s saying a topped out employee can’t leave their airline and make topped out money at another airline. They’d have to take a major pay cut by starting at the bottom of the pay scale.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

par13del

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:09 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
He’s saying a topped out employee can’t leave their airline and make topped out money at another airline. They’d have to take a major pay cut by starting at the bottom of the pay scale.

I know, but that goes back to my quality of life issue, contract ended years ago and still this back and forth. If the whole issue is just the union and management that is one thing, but based on the slow downs and information coming out, I am shocked more workers don't just walk away. If they can't walk away then how does the complaining help if their union cannot get something done in multiple years?
I admit to being a militant, but in an organized labor force someone has to be asleep at the wheel if it takes this long to get a contract, and /i said the same about the pilots from the US days.

chepos

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:34 am

par13del wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:

I know, but that goes back to my quality of life issue, contract ended years ago and still this back and forth. If the whole issue is just the union and management that is one thing, but based on the slow downs and information coming out, I am shocked more workers don't just walk away. If they can't walk away then how does the complaining help if their union cannot get something done in multiple years?
I admit to being a militant, but in an organized labor force someone has to be asleep at the wheel if it takes this long to get a contract, and /i said the same about the pilots from the US days.

They reached a deal and they are in the process of voting it. There was a thread somewhere around here. Alas it did not have as much back and forth as this thread. . Not sure why this one from 6 months ago was resuscitated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

strfyr51

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:14 am

American has more problems that just this contract. Their Mechanics can't even come together for what UNION they want to represent them, American was TWU and US Air was IAM. USAir tried to screw over the America West mechanics and they never even resolved those issues before merging with American's mechanics SO? The fault is in their making. That they can't get any traction? Isn't any wonder..

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:15 am

par13del wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:

I know, but that goes back to my quality of life issue, contract ended years ago and still this back and forth. If the whole issue is just the union and management that is one thing, but based on the slow downs and information coming out, I am shocked more workers don't just walk away.

What makes you so sure they have not?

AA have been hiring fairly consistently for that job over the last two years. In the year looking back from today, they have taken on 60-ish A&Ps at LAX alone. There has indeed been a goodly amount of turnover in markets where that option exists.

Boof02671 wrote:
Where are they going to find a job making $55 an hour?

Most can, but as 1SWA says, it will be a long time before they see a decent wage again. I have personally found it easier to simply leave the industry altogether. But even then, it will likely be the end of 2021 before I am out all the way. Here is hoping for sooner though!

Silver1SWA wrote:
par13del wrote:

Correct. While I would agree that there is more than just money, it is not as though we go to work for our health. It is the biggest part of what matters, ceteris paribus.

Also, even what you say is contingent on being in a place like LA or NYC, WAS, etc, where there are a lot of options. Some guy working in CLT were AA is a big gorilla and most of the other outfits are hired up is not going to have a lot of options.

Making AA a better place to work at absolutely should be a priority.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

Boof02671

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:02 pm

par13del wrote:

Doesn’t work that way. You start at the bottom with pay, benefits, vacation etc

Boof02671

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:03 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
American has more problems that just this contract. Their Mechanics can't even come together for what UNION they want to represent them, American was TWU and US Air was IAM. USAir tried to screw over the America West mechanics and they never even resolved those issues before merging with American's mechanics SO? The fault is in their making. That they can't get any traction? Isn't any wonder..

Not true at all the former HP mechanics saw huge increase in pay, benefits, etc. You are thinking about the pilots, the US and HP mechanics reached a joint contract in 2008.

UpNAWAy

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:06 pm

Unions and the Seniority system trap people in a job for life at some point. Most unions have high turnover in the 1-5 year range as folks realize they would have to work another 20 years to get a better shift, or duties. You also have almost no development/movement even within your trade and company in a union . They are a huge net negative for the vast majority of working Americans and there is a reason most decline to be in a union when given the opportunity.

BTW, this TA took so long because the IAM & TWU themselves could not agree on almost anything. This was a complicated 3 way negotiation with both Unions not willing to compromise as proven out in the still separate TA.
Last edited by UpNAWAy on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boof02671

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:07 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
Unions and the Seniority system trap people in a job for life at some point. Most unions have high turnover in the 1-5 year range as folks realize they would have to work another 20 years to get a better shift, or duties. You also have almost no development/movement even within your trade and company in a union . They are a huge net negative for the vast majority of working Americans and there is a reason most decline to be in a union when given the opportunity.

And yet the US airline industry is one of the highest percentage of unionized workforce.

UpNAWAy

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Yes it is, almost exclusively due to historical reasons. If this was a brand new industry its professional ranks would absolutely not be unionized nor would they seek it.

Boof02671

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:51 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
Yes it is, almost exclusively due to historical reasons. If this was a brand new industry its professional ranks would absolutely not be unionized nor would they seek it.

Then explain how the new carriers are unionizing also?

UpNAWAy

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:06 pm

Because of the industry history. Certainly not because it is needed or even helpful.

NWAESC

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:26 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
American has more problems that just this contract. Their Mechanics can't even come together for what UNION they want to represent them,

They've never had a chance to decide. It was decided FOR them without a vote post-merger.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

WayexTDI

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:58 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

Then explain how the new carriers are unionizing also?

Because "new carriers" are "new companies in an historical industry", as opposed to "new companies in a brand new industry".

Boof02671

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:40 am

All three JCBAs have passed

http://www.twu-iam.org/wp-content/uploa ... 2620-1.pdf

Lawsuit goes away

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos