piedmontflyer
Topic Author

CLT A Expansion and SkyClub

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:50 am

Looks like CLT will finally be getting a SkyClub according to renderings out by C DESIGN. Could A expansion mean new routes for Delta or just higher frequencies / upgauging on existing routes?

https://www.instagram.com/cdesigninc/?u ... M2FDjDz_V0

enilria

Re: CLT A Expansion and SkyClub

Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:48 am

Delta adding point to point routes from a fortress hub would be war with AA. If DL was going to risk that it would be over MIA rather than CLT. Probably just Delta being Delta improving their operation and product with a club and more space to cater to corporate pax.

jplatts

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:40 pm

piedmontflyer wrote:
Looks like CLT will finally be getting a SkyClub according to renderings out by C DESIGN. Could A expansion mean new routes for Delta or just higher frequencies / upgauging on existing routes?

While I do not expect DL to serve destinations other than its hubs or focus cities nonstop from CLT, DL adding CLT-BOS, CLT-LAX, and CLT-SEA nonstop service are possibilities as DL has hubs at BOS, LAX, and SEA.

MIflyer12

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:15 pm

jplatts wrote:
While I do not expect DL to serve destinations other than its hubs or focus cities nonstop from CLT, DL adding CLT-BOS, CLT-LAX, and CLT-SEA nonstop service are possibilities as DL has hubs at BOS, LAX, and SEA.

You're ignoring the level of competition. AA's 7x frequency (Friday) on CLT-LAX makes it very, very unlikely DL will try that route. CLT-BOS is 9x AA and 3x B6. Maybe DL would throw 3x E75 at it - but I wouldn't bet on it.

chepos

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 pm

It seems like we get the, Is DL expanding in CLT thread on a monthly basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

sargester

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:46 pm

They aren't expanding folks... skyclub is a nice touch though, it would be tough for DL to get anymore traffic out of CLT as it is AA has contracts that are for many many years and it would be very difficult for them to try to steal pax from that, although i do see CLTBOS on DL to compete with B6... other than that, DL isn't flying to the west coast from CLT anytime soon or maybe ever

TWFlyGuy

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:16 pm

Adding the SkyClub is more a function of the expansion of A giving them room to add it. Original A was pretty confined. The renovations to the concourses have been pretty impressive in my opinion. I don't see DL adding LAX from CLT as AA would defend that pretty heavily. As one of the fastest growing cities in the country, the local traffic base will grow to be more in line with what other hubs have but likely still be behind them for a while. The biggest opportunity for AA here is the ability to get some of the gates on original A freeing up space in other concourses, especially D for int'l growth. What would be interesting to see is how they use those A gates. I think back to when TWA branded their close in gates to TWQ service which was focused on high frequency business markets (LGA, DFW, ORD, etc.). Given the A concourse gates proximity to security, they could possibly market that.

jplatts

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:26 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
Adding the SkyClub is more a function of the expansion of A giving them room to add it. Original A was pretty confined. The renovations to the concourses have been pretty impressive in my opinion. I don't see DL adding LAX from CLT as AA would defend that pretty heavily.

While LAX is a hub for DL, I can understand DL not adding CLT-LAX nonstop service since AA has hubs at both CLT and LAX and since AA is bigger than DL is at LAX. I also agree that AA would heavily defend CLT-LAX if DL adds CLT-LAX nonstop service, not only due to the AA CLT hub but also due to AA having a bigger presence at LAX, AA having a significant FF base in Greater Los Angeles, and AA having corporate contracts in Greater Los Angeles.

CanadianRedneck

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Those renderings look awesome, who else is supposed to join DL in the expansion of A?

TWFlyGuy

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:00 pm

CanadianRedneck wrote:
Those renderings look awesome, who else is supposed to join DL in the expansion of A?

Basically everyone else except Lufthansa & Volaris. The new section of A is pretty awesome.

KMCOFlyer

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:47 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
CanadianRedneck wrote:

Basically everyone else except Lufthansa & Volaris. The new section of A is pretty awesome.

I think it will just be DL as all the other domestic carriers are already in the new A. I believe the new concourse will also have 8 gates and DL currently has 7, so it makes sense.

afcjets

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:18 pm

piedmontflyer wrote:

Where is the SkyClub pic?

jbs2886

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:25 pm

afcjets wrote:
piedmontflyer wrote:

Where is the SkyClub pic?

I suspect it was deleted given it wasn't announced.

WPvsMW

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:45 pm

With RDU as a focus city, I see DL at CLT as making CLT a "bigger GSP", IOW, upgauging service to ATL and DTW from CLT.

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:14 pm

piedmontflyer wrote:

This is CLT we are talking about, any additions made by DL will be counteracted two fold by AA, AA is extremely protective of CLT
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

afcjets

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:36 pm

From another topic:

afcjets wrote:
Delta opened a huge SkyClub (7500sf) this year in PHX. Delta has 27 flights from PHX (19 mainline plus 8 DL Connection) and 35 from CLT (22 mainline plus 13 DL Connection)

afcjets

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:41 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
With RDU as a focus city, I see DL at CLT as making CLT a "bigger GSP", IOW, upgauging service to ATL and DTW from CLT.

That won't be hard, except for SLC every mainline flight has been downgauged to a 717, but they did add a second JFK flight.

hagela

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:49 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
Adding the SkyClub is more a function of the expansion of A giving them room to add it. Original A was pretty confined. The renovations to the concourses have been pretty impressive in my opinion. I don't see DL adding LAX from CLT as AA would defend that pretty heavily. As one of the fastest growing cities in the country, the local traffic base will grow to be more in line with what other hubs have but likely still be behind them for a while. The biggest opportunity for AA here is the ability to get some of the gates on original A freeing up space in other concourses, especially D for int'l growth. What would be interesting to see is how they use those A gates. I think back to when TWA branded their close in gates to TWQ service which was focused on high frequency business markets (LGA, DFW, ORD, etc.). Given the A concourse gates proximity to security, they could possibly market that.

The currently open new A gates are not in close proximity to security. It may just feel like it since there's nothing on the way but I'd say portions of the original A, B, and C are all just as close or closer to the new A gates. I believe the plans call for a parallel pier to the north for the new new A gates which would put them even further from the main lobby. No plans I've seen show the lobby and security extending around the corner to the North that I recall.

TWFlyGuy

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:11 pm

hagela wrote:
TWFlyGuy wrote:

The currently open new A gates are not in close proximity to security. It may just feel like it since there's nothing on the way but I'd say portions of the original A, B, and C are all just as close or closer to the new A gates. I believe the plans call for a parallel pier to the north for the new new A gates which would put them even further from the main lobby. No plans I've seen show the lobby and security extending around the corner to the North that I recall.

You're right that they're not necessarily closer but if you funnel those local pax through the A security to the new A gates, you could potentially market it. Again, if you focus on high density biz markets, you're more likely to have people who get through security faster...it's a gimmick admittedly but gimmicks sometimes sell.

N312RC

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:29 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

You're ignoring the level of competition. AA's 7x frequency (Friday) on CLT-LAX makes it very, very unlikely DL will try that route. CLT-BOS is 9x AA and 3x B6. Maybe DL would throw 3x E75 at it - but I wouldn't bet on it.

Uhhh... so are you. The same scenario didn’t stop American from adding 2x daily ATLLAX on 737-800 when AirTran/WN and DL had the market up over 10x per day. EDIT: A service which is now flown 3x daily, two of which are on A321s. If there’s corporate contracts on either end that desire the service, or if DL can make it work with the feed from the LAX hub, they’ll add it. Try again bud.
My views as expressed above are my views alone and do not constitute the views of my employer.

TW870

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:42 pm

sargester wrote:
They aren't expanding folks... skyclub is a nice touch though, it would be tough for DL to get anymore traffic out of CLT as it is AA has contracts that are for many many years and it would be very difficult for them to try to steal pax from that, although i do see CLTBOS on DL to compete with B6... other than that, DL isn't flying to the west coast from CLT anytime soon or maybe ever

Agree completely. The Skyclub is for people - especially in the banking business - on corporate contracts based in the NYC, DTW, MSP, and ATL markets who have business in the booming CLT economy, and who expect value from their Skyclub memberships and Medallion status. Some road warriors are in these outstations very often, and they expect a place to work, have a drink, etc., on as many trips as possible. My guess is that CLT just hit a tipping point where DL thought it needed a club there. This is about value in the DL FF experience, not an effort to feed an expansion. Chicago, Miami, Phoenix, and Denver are all examples of cities with clubs to serve the FF base but no growth plans.

afcjets

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:46 am

TWFlyGuy wrote:
hagela wrote:
TWFlyGuy wrote:
The biggest opportunity for AA here is the ability to get some of the gates on original A freeing up space in other concourses, especially D for int'l growth. What would be interesting to see is how they use those A gates. I think back to when TWA branded their close in gates to TWQ service which was focused on high frequency business markets (LGA, DFW, ORD, etc.). Given the A concourse gates proximity to security, they could possibly market that.

You're right that they're not necessarily closer but if you funnel those local pax through the A security to the new A gates, you could potentially market it. Again, if you focus on high density biz markets, you're more likely to have people who get through security faster...it's a gimmick admittedly but gimmicks sometimes sell.

AA already has the freed up A gates reserved, they are just waiting for renovations to be complete.

The proximity of the new A North gates is not relevant to AA other than every airline except AA and LH are a long walk from the ticket counter. IMO A North actually feels much longer than it even looks.

Local passengers heading to A gates are already going through A security or B, which is about the same distance from the ticket counter to the gate.

The close in B and C gates are closer to the main terminal than the close in A gates which are being rennovated for AA, and AA's ticket counter is especially far from concourse A.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos