Blerg
Topic Author

easyJet in Berlin

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:22 am

Good morning,

I read in another thread that easyJet is suspending Berlin-Warsaw while Berlin-Belgrade will be downgraded from 4 weekly to 2 this winter. I was wondering, how are they generally doing in Berlin? Are they suspending/reducing any other routes or are they adding elsewhere?

Someone83

Re: easyJet in Berlin

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:01 am

They seems to be having challenges and are reducing to several other destinations the coming winter

TWA772LR

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:24 am

I know this means absolutely nothing but in February I flew easyjet TXL-MUC and the plane had to be no more than 1/4 full. So I'd guess "not terribly good". Aside from the Costco-esque terminal building, easyjet in Berlin was a decent experience, especially for $45.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:09 am

Someone83 wrote:
They seems to be having challenges and are reducing to several other destinations the coming winter

Do you by any chance know what destinations they are reducing this winter?

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:10 am

TWA772LR wrote:
I know this means absolutely nothing but in February I flew easyjet TXL-MUC and the plane had to be no more than 1/4 full. So I'd guess "not terribly good". Aside from the Costco-esque terminal building, easyjet in Berlin was a decent experience, especially for $45.

I think TXL-MUC is similar to TXL-VIE, a destination where they have to be present even if they record losses at the moment. They need to reinforce their brand-awareness to gain more customers, it's in a way a long-term investment.

steman

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:11 am

Easyjet is a life saver for me in Berlin. Especially in TXL since they filled the void left from air berlin. In the past 12 months I have flown only on easyjet and only out of TXL (SXF is really inconvenient for me). I don´t remember exactly but I think they have a total of 37 aircraft based between TXL and SXF, making Berlin their biggest station after London.
Routes reductions however, are to be expected, especially in winter. There were rumours that TXL-FRA would be cancelled or suspended but this seems to be untrue.
Easyjet is one of the few airlines that have already decided/been assigned Terminal space in the new BER. They will be based in the main Terminal (which will be called T1 once the other Terminals are opened). BER seems to be on course for opening in October 2020. TXL will be open for another 6 months after BER has been opened. I wonder if easyJet will transfer all their planes to BER T1 from day 1 or if they will just move the SXF based ones first and the TXL machines gradually in the following months.
With no more split operations I guess some duplicate routes will be rationalised. Currently U2 operates flights to some destinations from both TXL and SXF. So, a further rationalisation/reduction of routes can be expected.

Someone83

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:16 am

Blerg wrote:
Someone83 wrote:

Do you by any chance know what destinations they are reducing this winter?

Seems like all their Nordic routes are seeing frequency reduction this Winter vs last year. And also several domestic routes

Kikko19

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:30 pm

i think they removed also TLL it's not anymore in the october schedules.

PhilInBRN

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:16 pm

SXF-VIE has also been dropped as of Winter 19/20 resulting in another duplicate route being ceased.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:10 pm

So what's happening with extra capacity? Are they reallocating it elsewhere?

BasilFawlty

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:44 pm

steman wrote:
I don´t remember exactly but I think they have a total of 37 aircraft based between TXL and SXF, making Berlin their biggest station after London.

Currently 31 I believe, 19 at TXL and 12 at SXF.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

william

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:00 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

Coscto-esque? I think you are being kind, more like Greyhound bus station, but it works for them and I imagine its low in cost being there.

EFHK

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:40 pm

steman wrote:
BER seems to be on course for opening in October 2020.

That is quite some statement to make!

steman

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:24 am

EFHK wrote:
steman wrote:

There have been recent tests performed by the TÜV and they said they are satisfied.
T2 is under construction and seems to be progressing well.

runway23

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:41 am

steman wrote:
EFHK wrote:
steman wrote:

There have been recent tests performed by the TÜV and they said they are satisfied.

They've been saying the same for 10 years now. The chances of BER opening soon are about as high as AZ shutting down.

dangerhere

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:02 pm

steman wrote:
EFHK wrote:
steman wrote:

https://www.morgenpost.de/flughafen-BER/article226683557/Flughafen-BER-Tuev-mit-bisherigen-Tests-zufrieden.html

BER-Eröffnung könnte am Dübel-Problem scheitern
Flughafenchef Lütke Daldrup sagte dazu, dass für eine verwandte Dübelart inzwischen ein Gutachter beauftragt worden sei, die Zulassungsanträge für zwei weitere eingesetzte Dübel würden im September gestellt. Für eine weitere Befestigung habe sich das Problem erledigt, weil die Herstellerfirma inzwischen einen Ausnahmegenehmigung selbst beantragt und genehmigt bekommen habe. Der für das gesamte Genehmigungsverfahren zuständige Landrat Stephan Loge (SPD) hatte bereits darauf hingewiesen, dass die BER-Eröffnung am Ende auch am Dübel-Problem scheitern könnte.

That almost certainly means further delays beyond 2020.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos