jetsetterusa
Topic Author

Far fetched idea on AA performance especially in the stock market!

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:06 am

Ok so hear me out on this one.... So Parker 3 years ago or so said to himself he wants out and knowing his job is based on prety much the stock market he does a risky idea! He already has a ton of cash in his bank so why not run the stock price to a low amount knowing to mostlikly will double in price once a new CEO gets in and after a few years.... so wile the stock is low he goes and buys x amount of shares... then at this point he knows that he is on the way out since he is not doing so well and then when he " retires" he now has a crap load of cash in the back and x amount of shares that will most likely double in price in the next 5 years or so!

Yes I know I have too much time in my hands don't criticize me on my spelling or grammar and I know it's far-fetched but what do you guys think you think Parker is or has any CEO done such thing?
Crazy Day Tripper

SkyVoice

Re: Far fetched idea on AA performance especially in the stock market!

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:24 am

Have you ever heard of "insider trading"? Google that. Doing that can get you a long chunk of time in a very secure place, with all expenses paid for by the federal government. It's called prison! And, insider trading is just one of the charges that can get you sent there for doing what you suggest. There's so much more, but let's give some other posters a chance to respond . . .
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson

WeatherPilot

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:31 am

SkyVoice wrote:
Have you ever heard of "insider trading"? Google that. Doing that can get you a long chunk of time in a very secure place, with all expenses paid for by the federal government. It's called prison! And, insider trading is just one of the charges that can get you sent there for doing what you suggest. There's so much more, but let's give some other posters a chance to respond . . .

Tell that to Congress. New Congress members go in middle class and leave as wealthy multi-millionaires on a $174,000 salary.

VS11

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:50 am

It is nothing unusual for a CEO to buy stock of the company they are running. It is even considered a good sign that a CEO puts more of their own money into the company. It is more suspicious when executives sell their shares. It is not very clear why anyone would assume that a new CEO would necessarily cause a stock price to double. Furthermore, American Airlines authorized $2b stock buyback - based on this you can be certain the stock will go up and this is public information.

m007j

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:54 am

jetsetterusa wrote:
Ok so hear me out on this one.... So Parker 3 years ago or so said to himself he wants out and knowing his job is based on prety much the stock market he does a risky idea! He already has a ton of cash in his bank so why not run the stock price to a low amount knowing to mostlikly will double in price once a new CEO gets in and after a few years.... so wile the stock is low he goes and buys x amount of shares... then at this point he knows that he is on the way out since he is not doing so well and then when he " retires" he now has a crap load of cash in the back and x amount of shares that will most likely double in price in the next 5 years or so!

Yes I know I have too much time in my hands don't criticize me on my spelling or grammar and I know it's far-fetched but what do you guys think you think Parker is or has any CEO done such thing?

Simply put, this is illegal. Breaks multiple securities laws, insider trading being the most famed one that everyone knows. As a person with control, you cannot act on information that may result your own financial gain. If Parker doesn't have good business decisions behind whatever he does to tank the company, he's going to get sued for all the gan that he's made. Even the appearance of impropriety is enough to invite the SEC to come visit you.

Besides, CEOs and persons of control must file with the SEC whenever they sell shares. And if the CEO is doing this, the other major market players (think institutional investors like BlackRock, Vanguard, and Fidelity) is going to make moves. He can't compete against the arbitrage that the big guns can pull off.

jetwet1

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:08 am

VS11 wrote:
It is nothing unusual for a CEO to buy stock of the company they are running. It is even considered a good sign that a CEO puts more of their own money into the company. It is more suspicious when executives sell their shares. It is not very clear why anyone would assume that a new CEO would necessarily cause a stock price to double. Furthermore, American Airlines authorized $2b stock buyback - based on this you can be certain the stock will go up and this is public information.

True, it's more common for them and other executives to buy through stock options which are part of their contract.

What the OP is missing is that the options are at a pre set price and it would certainly not be in Doug's interest to drive those options underwater.

Antarius

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:20 am

jetsetterusa wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
jetsetterusa wrote:
so why not run the stock price to a low amount knowing to mostlikly will double in price once a new CEO gets in...

I think you need to learn about the fiduciary duties of U.S. CEOs, and a.net starts to start screening users for knowledge and sanity.

Then in that case what about a.net starting cracking down on bulles and jerks for making comments like that? I am sick and tired of people treating me and my post like crap.... I might not know EVERY THING like some people and I learn new stuff everyday and sorry for thinking outside of the box and all that and if u read my post I said it was far fetched! So sorry for wasting ur 5 sec time on reading something! I have had it up to here for all the jerks in this place this is why I dont comment or make many post! This might be to far but people that want to criticize others for stupid crap she not be allowed on here this should be a fun and enjoyable and may be debatable sometimes but nothing like that past post! So sorry for not knowing everything be mr. Perfect!

Theres a level of acceptable discourse and there is inanity. This is no different than claiming that bad press is muted as Parker hires hit squads on bloggers or pays them out through the Cayman islands.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR MAA KTM

jetmechanicdave

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:35 am

Lets discuss the topic and refrain from the personal attacks. Thanks
Aircraft Mechanic and Airliners.net Forum Moderator

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:38 am

SkyVoice wrote:

But would it be insider trading though? There's no certainty that the prices will rise just because he steps down as CEO.

I would think it's hard to argue insider trading just because he bought shares knowing that he is going to step down.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Antarius

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:40 am

WeatherPilot wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:

Tell that to Congress. New Congress members go in middle class and leave as wealthy multi-millionaires on a $174,000 salary.

Insider trading for Congress wasnt illegal for long time. Then it was banned, but allowed for family members still :roll: comical, but it was legal.

Parker cannot do the same.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR MAA KTM

Antarius

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:41 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:

But would it be insider trading though? There's no certainty that the prices will rise just because he steps down as CEO.

I would think it's hard to argue insider trading just because he bought shares knowing that he is going to step down.

The issue is Parker driving the price down so he can buy more. It is a gross violation of fiduciary duty if he intentionally drives the price down.

Breach of fiduciary Duty does not typically require proof of criminal intent either, so he'd have to be a special kind of stupid to try to pull this off.

umichman

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:57 am

This makes absolutely no sense. He currently holds 2.2 million shares of AAL stock. What about the value of that?? If he intentionally drives down the price of the stock, it's going to put a big hurt on the value of his existing holdings. How does he know if the stock will actually recover to it's former levels if he intentionally drives it down? It can take many years for an airline to win back it's reputation and flyers once they are lost. That's a huge risk that I can't imagine any airline CEO taking when they are already sitting on a significant number of shares.

PhilMcCrackin

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:56 am

The CEO holds a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders to return value on their investment in the company. Purposely driving the company into the ground would likely earn him some fancy chrome bracelets and a new concrete home, and the shareholders would launch a class action lawsuits against the company for fraud.

Additionally, the CEO is held responsible by the BOD and requires BOD approval for many larger actions, e.g. buying large capital assets, mergers/acquisitions/divestitures, hiring of C-level personnel, etc. In light of that, I'm not sure a CEO could even pull this off if he wanted to under the oversight of a BOD.

Not to mention most CEO compensation is incentivized based on the performance of the company, not salaried, so you'd only be shooting yourself in the dick with this wacky nonsense.

jetblueguy22

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:11 am

You’re acting under the assumption that he doesn’t place a dollar figure on his own name. Some CEOs may not care about being known as honest and fair to their employees, but they all want to leave with a good legacy of providing value to shareholders....of which he is one that would benefit massively by their being successful.

This is just looking for a reason that isn’t there. I think Parker gets a lot of hate, but he is also following the direction of the market, which isn’t more legroom and bigger F cabins. The problem has been their execution of their ideas is poor. That I’m sure drives him nuts.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Miamiairport

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:54 pm

As noted there's no guarantee if Parker stepped down the stock price would rise. In fact, there hasn't been a shareholder move to replace him despite the lackluster performance compared to peers. As per the statement of jetblueguy22 yes Parker is following where the market is going, as are competitors. A cramped Y cabin for price shoppers and for those relatively few paxs willing to shell out the big bucks on long haul luxurious accommodations upfront, far more superior than 20 years ago. Don't think the IFE being touted on DL is in part used to divert attention to the sardine like conditions back in Y.

Being an airline CEO is one tough job. Few industries get the amount of public attention and government scrutiny. Or the requirement to be multiple things to many people. Could you imagine the Wal Mart CEO being pressured to deliver a Neiman Marcus experience to some and a Dollar General experience to others with many thinking the Dollar General crowd should be treated more like the Neiman Marcus crowd. Parker's primary issues seem to center around operational ineffectiveness, which is what's behind the low numbers.

sagechan

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:30 pm

To the OP's take, it's very unlikely Doug would risk prison time for a plan that has questionable success even if it weren't illegal. Doug's entire compensation is in stock and many if those options come due on an annual basis, so to fully maximize his income a high stock is far more valuable than risking potential gains form current market prices.

It's funny that so many a.nutters complain that AA's only strategy is copy delta, then say their strategy is the main cause of the problems. Doug's biggest strategic mistake from a shareholder POV was mid-contract unilateral raises. AA's biggest current problems are labor related. Although the merger went fairly smooth on a technical basis, AA is/was years behind DL & UA on merger timing as well.

The biggest item people seem to debate with AA is IFE. While I've personally flipped on IFE (I now think there are viable cost effective solutions that makes it important for a full-service carrier) I still havent seen any evidence that IFE is a differentiator on domestic routes at a macro level.
717, 733, 734, 738, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA

Ziyulu

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:50 pm

It's no different than any other company, so why even put AA in the spotlight here?

OB1504

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:53 pm

sagechan wrote:
It's funny that so many a.nutters complain that AA's only strategy is copy delta, then say their strategy is the main cause of the problems.

The problem is that AA’s strategy seems to be to copy Delta half assedly.

Delta goes to 30” pitch and installs brand new cabins and state of the art IFE on their domestic fleet. AA goes to 30” pitch and rips the IFE out.

Delta introduces basic economy. AA introduces basic economy with an added carry-on restriction that started to affect on-time departures so badly that they ended up having to drop it.

Just some examples that come to mind.

apodino

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:56 pm

sagechan wrote:
To the OP's take, it's very unlikely Doug would risk prison time for a plan that has questionable success even if it weren't illegal. Doug's entire compensation is in stock and many if those options come due on an annual basis, so to fully maximize his income a high stock is far more valuable than risking potential gains form current market prices.

It's funny that so many a.nutters complain that AA's only strategy is copy delta, then say their strategy is the main cause of the problems. Doug's biggest strategic mistake from a shareholder POV was mid-contract unilateral raises. AA's biggest current problems are labor related. Although the merger went fairly smooth on a technical basis, AA is/was years behind DL & UA on merger timing as well.

The biggest item people seem to debate with AA is IFE. While I've personally flipped on IFE (I now think there are viable cost effective solutions that makes it important for a full-service carrier) I still havent seen any evidence that IFE is a differentiator on domestic routes at a macro level.

Is AA really copying DL though? While still a traditional Hub and Spoke carrier, DL has added a lot of P2P flying in their network with non traditional routes, where AA has retreated to the most profitable hubs. DL pays huge profit sharing, AA was late to the game and compared to DL, their profit sharing pays pennies on the dollar. DL brought in the A220 which all early indications are have been very positive. AA is parking the 190, leaving a huge gap between the 175 at Eagle, and what will become the smallest mainline plane, the 319. DL is using their MRO in ATL to do outside work, AA in TUL seems to be going in the opposite direction. DL has very little debt, AA has loads of debt.

I would disagree that the raises were the biggest mistake from a shareholder POV. To me the biggest mistake from a Shareholder POV was using the excess profits to buy back stock instead of pay down debt. Stock buybacks look great until you see today that the stock is at a 5 year low, and this is largely due to fears that AAs debt load will leave them vulnerable to a recession that is now widely feared. The Shareholders made nothing from the buybacks, and now the money has disappeared into thin air with nothing to show for it.

My one beef with the whole IFE thing is AA doesn't seem to promote it very well. There is virtually nothing in the gate areas at the airports, especially the hubs that mention it, nor do they mention you need to download the AA app to view it on your device. If they informed the traveling public of this much better, this could actually work out for AA long term. The IFE product on the mobile devices is actually very good, and while AA spent a ton of money to refit airplanes for this, the only place its mentioned that you need the APP is in the seat pocket of the airplanes. By the time this is noticed, the devices have to end up in airplane mode anyways.

As for the OP, what a load of rubbish. Parker has actually told investors on earnings calls exactly what he feels about the stock price, and has gotten into some heated discussions with Wall Street over this. I wont elaborate more because others have said it so beautifully.

sagechan

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:01 pm

OB1504 wrote:
sagechan wrote:
It's funny that so many a.nutters complain that AA's only strategy is copy delta, then say their strategy is the main cause of the problems.

The problem is that AA’s strategy seems to be to copy Delta half assedly.

Delta goes to 30” pitch and installs brand new cabins and state of the art IFE on their domestic fleet. AA goes to 30” pitch and rips the IFE out.

Delta introduces basic economy. AA introduces basic economy with an added carry-on restriction that started to affect on-time departures so badly that they ended up having to drop it.

Just some examples that come to mind.

The 2nd point is valid, especially since when AA changed the policy they pointed to loss of sales die to search engines factoring cost difference for carry-ons.

While I do now think the seat back IFE removal is a mistake, AA still has a very good BYOD IFE on those planes, and I still haven't seen any evidence to show that IFE increases sales, margins or retention on a macro scale, so I'm not sure AA is actually wrong on that point.

Delta's biggest advantage for past 5 years or so has been running a damn good operation and they deserve a lot of credit for that. Oddly enough US was really the one giving DL a run operationally prior to the merger.
717, 733, 734, 738, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA

spinotter

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:12 pm

apodino wrote:
sagechan wrote:

Is AA really copying DL though? While still a traditional Hub and Spoke carrier, DL has added a lot of P2P flying in their network with non traditional routes, where AA has retreated to the most profitable hubs. DL pays huge profit sharing, AA was late to the game and compared to DL, their profit sharing pays pennies on the dollar. DL brought in the A220 which all early indications are have been very positive. AA is parking the 190, leaving a huge gap between the 175 at Eagle, and what will become the smallest mainline plane, the 319. DL is using their MRO in ATL to do outside work, AA in TUL seems to be going in the opposite direction. DL has very little debt, AA has loads of debt.

I would disagree that the raises were the biggest mistake from a shareholder POV. To me the biggest mistake from a Shareholder POV was using the excess profits to buy back stock instead of pay down debt. Stock buybacks look great until you see today that the stock is at a 5 year low, and this is largely due to fears that AAs debt load will leave them vulnerable to a recession that is now widely feared. The Shareholders made nothing from the buybacks, and now the money has disappeared into thin air with nothing to show for it.

My one beef with the whole IFE thing is AA doesn't seem to promote it very well. There is virtually nothing in the gate areas at the airports, especially the hubs that mention it, nor do they mention you need to download the AA app to view it on your device. If they informed the traveling public of this much better, this could actually work out for AA long term. The IFE product on the mobile devices is actually very good, and while AA spent a ton of money to refit airplanes for this, the only place its mentioned that you need the APP is in the seat pocket of the airplanes. By the time this is noticed, the devices have to end up in airplane mode anyways.

As for the OP, what a load of rubbish. Parker has actually told investors on earnings calls exactly what he feels about the stock price, and has gotten into some heated discussions with Wall Street over this. I wont elaborate more because others have said it so beautifully.

"The Shareholders made nothing from the buybacks..." Why do you say that? Isn't the goal to benefit shareholders by giving them a good purchase price? Others have said that companies with too much cash, and little debt, are targets for takeover artists. It broke my heart when Northwest was bought out by Al Checchi and friends, after decades of Nyrop's fabled parsimony (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Nyrop), which is what attracted me to NW from the beginning - Midwest integrety and close-fistedness. I never cared about NW after that.

spinotter

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:14 pm

apodino wrote:
sagechan wrote:

"The Shareholders made nothing from the buybacks..." Why do you say that? Isn't the goal to benefit shareholders by giving them a good purchase price? Others have said that companies with too much cash, and little debt, are targets for takeover artists. It broke my heart when Northwest was bought out by Al Checchi and friends, after decades of Nyrop's fabled parsimony (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Nyrop), which is what attracted me to NW from the beginning - Midwest integrety and close-fistedness. I never cared about NW after that.

OB1504

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:16 pm

apodino wrote:

They way they’ve implemented the BYOD IFE is so maddening. If you didn’t download the app before takeoff, you can’t use it. Why on earth can you not download it inflight using the onboard Wi-Fi? There’s already free access to AA.com, surely they could set something up to allow connecting to the Wi-Fi to download the app.

sagechan wrote:
Delta's biggest advantage for past 5 years or so has been running a damn good operation and they deserve a lot of credit for that. Oddly enough US was really the one giving DL a run operationally prior to the merger.

That’s another good one. Delta runs an amazing operation so AA focuses on D0 to the detriment of customer experience, and their operational performance doesn’t actually increase while their employees and customers are negatively affected.

I loved flying with premerger US Airways. It was a relatively basic product, but it was comfortable, reliable, and consistent. AA can’t seem to offer that nowadays.

AA really needs to watch out for United, since it looks like they’re poised to make a comeback (in part because Scott Kirby is there now) and AA could be left in third place with their operational issues and uncompetitive product.

chidino

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:38 pm

The OP also ignores that the aviation industry is subject to outside influences. A recession or (heaven forbid) some attack could drastically change the future. If Parker can control those things, he's wasting his time at something as mundane as an airline. ;)

LAXdude1023

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:54 pm

No disrespect to the OP, but that is illegal on several levels. Parker would end up serving time in a federal prison for actions like that.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos