AirKevin

Re: Ural Airlines A321 VQ-BOZ 15 august 2019 Moscow emergency landing

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:37 pm

tu204 wrote:
Efhkspotter wrote:
tu204 wrote:
Would it have been better had they lowered the gear? :stirthepot:

What would have been better? Everyone is alive.

Less damage to the aircraft? Remember the COPA 733 that landed (and then took off from) a levy in New Orleans?

That would be Taca, not Copa. In any event, as far as Taca 110, they lost both engines at a high enough altitude to be able to find a place to land. In this case, they didn't have very many places to pick from given the altitude.
Captain Kevin

MaksFly

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:48 pm

Wow... I suppose this is the best case for an accident.... All can walk away. Seems like one lady needed a bit more help.

Congrats to the crew and everyone. Seems like from the reports all of the emergency crews came together and we can sit here and make popcorn and write off jokes.

After the accidents... this was a great example of how aviation is becoming safer. Congrats Airbus, Congrats crew.

boerje

Re: Ural Airlines A321 VQ-BOZ 15.08.2019 Moscow emergency landing

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:49 pm

estorilm wrote:
tu204 wrote:
estorilm wrote:
True however, check out the vapes coming off the leading edge of the wing just prior to impact - I wouldn't be surprised if the pilot was full-aft on the sidestick at that point and the plane simply achieved peak AoA with alpha prot without stalling.

True but that was a completely controlled descent with a "planned" target for a landing location.

I think everything was out of their hands with this one. I too asked myself "why gear up?" however given the incredibly close proximity to the end of the runway, it's clear that a) a gravity drop of the gear might not have even been possible in that timeframe, and b) a partial or full drop of the landing gear that close to the ground would have likely stalled or put the plane into the ground in a much worse fashion than we see here. I absolutely agree with the pilots decision with those factors in mind here.

I am eagerly waiting for the Prelim report and will shortly write a buddy that flies with U6 and ask him what mode the plane was in at impact. I am not sure it was still in Normal law with a double engine failure. I am leaning towards it being in Alternate Law or Direct Law.

I totally agree with the crew (and you) that they left the gear up. It led to the aircraft neatly sliding straigh down the field and decelerating quickly (but not too quickly to kill people).
In my opinion had the gear been down, they would have broken one at a time causing it to spin and a wing tank rupture. Thats just my opinion though. The reaon why I posted my question is that I wanted to get some sort of discussion going and hearing different opinions and scenarios.

P.S. I'd also love to hear the crew's decision making process they must have had as to "up or down" in the several seconds they had to make that decision.

Edit: Saw the Investigation Committee video, there are a few cockpit shots and the gear lever is clearly in the "Up" position.

Apparently if both engines are lost, the aircraft will revert to "ALT2" which still retains AoA (assuming that's alpha prot) but loses low-energy prot, which makes sense as that's going to require thrust :lol:

I'm not exactly sure at what point the computers determine the engines are "lost" or "flamed-out" though. If they're still turning and the generators are on, the aircraft might not have even had time to revert to a full lower-level authority like ALT2. However, it would appear that alpha-prot would still be available.

I think in the Hudson incident, they had enough time that the engines were fully shut off (ie generators etc) and that's why the APU was started. FWIW it's interesting to note that this text doesn't say "unless APU power available" - as in, it appears even in the Hudson incident with the APU on, the aircraft would still have been in the same ALT2 control mode law as this incident.

Sully started the APU before the item came up on the checklist.

"I had taken by memory the first two remedial actions that would help us the most, that we would later get to on the checklist over a minute later, over a third of the way through the remaining flight time, and that was to turn on the engine ignition so the engines would recover if they could (it turned out they were irreparably damaged), and I started the airplane’s auxiliary power unit, the APU, to provide a backup source of electrical power."

[url]https://www.historynet.com/sully-speaks-out.htm/url]

Amiga500

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:00 pm

Great job that crew!

Yeah, they got a slice of luck having a big field straight in front of them - but they deserved a bit after the birds crapped out both engines.

AlphaProt is looking pretty damn sweet right now too.

bhill

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:11 pm

Ya know, John Deere will sell that farmer a MUCH MUCH cheaper combine.....

Just Sayin'
Carpe Pices

trijetsonly

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:22 pm

crownvic wrote:
CO953 wrote:
crownvic wrote:
It is said that United 292 slid into a similar type of cornfield reducing impact and injuries too..

If you're referring to United 232 in Sioux City, the cornfield at the end really didn't do much. The DC-10 was already cartwheeling and broke to bits. In my opinion the only help the cornfield gave was to cushion the landing just a bit for passengers ejected from the plane during the breakup.

Yes typo I was referring to 232...

I wonder what type of G force the passengers experienced stopping in such a short distance too..

Not that much. Around 1 G horizontal, given a sliding distance of ~200m, 6 seconds of sliding time and 120kts touchdown speed.
It's the shaking and knocking your head onto something that kills you.
Happy Landings

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:35 pm

estorilm wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
estorilm wrote:
With a single engine working perfectly, that plane still requires a firewalled 33,000lbs of thrust to climb away from the airport. With both lost or mostly lost, full of fuel, pax and bags, the thing is a giant brick with wings - no chance to convert altitude to airspeed, you're screwed. Given where this thing ended up relative to the runway, I wouldn't be surprised if the plane only reached a few hundred feet alt before coming down. :(

Depends on the TOGW, but most take-offs use reduced thrust and firewalled thrust isn’t required to continue.

GF

So, you're doing a FLEX / reduced power takeoffs after an engine failure? ;)

I was talking about how much power is required to keep the plane in the air (ie usually MTOW / certain conditions on a single-engine at rotation w/ minimum climb performance). As in - even with that 33klbs thrust it's still marginal. The OP's assertion that it should be possible with ZERO thrust is simply ridiculous was all.

Yes, if the take-off perf was done using a FLEX setting (reduced thrust by the ATM); all the requirements are met at the reduced thrust after an engine failure. There’s no requirement at go to rated thrust. Adding thrust too quickly can easily add some unneeded dynamics to the problem.

With zero thrust, no, you’re not flying for especially at 300’.

GF

estorilm

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:37 pm

boerje wrote:
estorilm wrote:
tu204 wrote:

I am eagerly waiting for the Prelim report and will shortly write a buddy that flies with U6 and ask him what mode the plane was in at impact. I am not sure it was still in Normal law with a double engine failure. I am leaning towards it being in Alternate Law or Direct Law.

I totally agree with the crew (and you) that they left the gear up. It led to the aircraft neatly sliding straigh down the field and decelerating quickly (but not too quickly to kill people).
In my opinion had the gear been down, they would have broken one at a time causing it to spin and a wing tank rupture. Thats just my opinion though. The reaon why I posted my question is that I wanted to get some sort of discussion going and hearing different opinions and scenarios.

P.S. I'd also love to hear the crew's decision making process they must have had as to "up or down" in the several seconds they had to make that decision.

Edit: Saw the Investigation Committee video, there are a few cockpit shots and the gear lever is clearly in the "Up" position.

Apparently if both engines are lost, the aircraft will revert to "ALT2" which still retains AoA (assuming that's alpha prot) but loses low-energy prot, which makes sense as that's going to require thrust :lol:

I'm not exactly sure at what point the computers determine the engines are "lost" or "flamed-out" though. If they're still turning and the generators are on, the aircraft might not have even had time to revert to a full lower-level authority like ALT2. However, it would appear that alpha-prot would still be available.

I think in the Hudson incident, they had enough time that the engines were fully shut off (ie generators etc) and that's why the APU was started. FWIW it's interesting to note that this text doesn't say "unless APU power available" - as in, it appears even in the Hudson incident with the APU on, the aircraft would still have been in the same ALT2 control mode law as this incident.

Sully started the APU before the item came up on the checklist.

"I had taken by memory the first two remedial actions that would help us the most, that we would later get to on the checklist over a minute later, over a third of the way through the remaining flight time, and that was to turn on the engine ignition so the engines would recover if they could (it turned out they were irreparably damaged), and I started the airplane’s auxiliary power unit, the APU, to provide a backup source of electrical power."

[url]https://www.historynet.com/sully-speaks-out.htm/url]

I know this - I said APU was started, has nothing to do with what I was discussing regarding the control law states of each incident aircraft. It was implied that the APU was started to regain or retain certain flight protections, and I'm simply saying that based on what I see here - that isn't the case, both aircraft should have been in ALT2. Would need a real 'bus driver to clarify though.

anrec80

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:42 pm

Chrisba320 wrote:
Well done to the pilots for putting this bird down safely with no casualties on board. I’m sure the A321’s advanced systems also played a major part in this not ending in disaster.

Not quite the case. The pilot switched off engine and all aircraft systems, and performed a completely manual landing.

tu204

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:49 pm

anrec80 wrote:
Chrisba320 wrote:
Well done to the pilots for putting this bird down safely with no casualties on board. I’m sure the A321’s advanced systems also played a major part in this not ending in disaster.

Not quite the case. The pilot switched off engine and all aircraft systems, and performed a completely manual landing.

Doesn't sound that way.
One of the engines was trying to start almost all the way into the corn. Listen to the video.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

BaconButty

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:00 pm

jupiter2 wrote:
* Good weather and daylight.
* They weren't too high, which meant they weren't going to travel too far. Which in this instance was a blessing.
* Flat, open terrain. So, no buildings, trees, hills/mountains, roads, etc to collide with.
* Farm land with corn at least 8 to 10 feet high, however small, it would've helped cushion the impact and slow the aircraft down on the ground.
* The aircraft has managed to jump over the ditch in the farm land. Could've easily nosed first into the ditch.
* Speed was relatively low.

The land was criss crossed with field boundaries. A couple of hundred yards in from is what looks like a busy road. This was well done. I also suspect I'm thinking the same as @Chrisba320.
Down with that sort of thing!

Jouhou

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:27 pm

tu204 wrote:
anrec80 wrote:
Chrisba320 wrote:

Doesn't sound that way.
One of the engines was trying to start almost all the way into the corn. Listen to the video.

I was trying to figure out what that was and why it increased in frequency as they approached the ground. Makes sense now, probably increased in frequency as the pilots got increasingly desperate for some kind of thrust.

TheLark

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Another almost forgotten no-engines crash landing in a field is flight OS 111, an Austrian Fokker 70 near Munich in 2004: https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 20040105-0.
Night's candles are burnt out, and jocund day stands tiptoe on the misty mountain tops

usflyer msp

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:37 pm

I love the applause video, it warmed my heart. If this happened in the US the pax would just be screaming about what kind of compensation they are going to get :(

tu204

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Jouhou wrote:
tu204 wrote:
anrec80 wrote:

Doesn't sound that way.

I was trying to figure out what that was and why it increased in frequency as they approached the ground. Makes sense now, probably increased in frequency as the pilots got increasingly desperate for some kind of thrust.

Not a fact, but it is my educated guess. I don't fly Airbus, so can't be certain, but it is a spooling up and down engine...so either trying to re-start, or another possibility is that it was simply surging with the guys up front playing with the throttles more frequently as shit was hitting the fan.

Anyone with more insight here to give their opinion?
Were they trying a restart that kept failing or was the engine running (not too well) and they were playing the throttles? Or something else?
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

KLASM83

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:46 pm

Amazing flying by these pilots, those engines sounded quite moribund based on watching the video.
"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability" -Edgar Allan Poe

Don't you want to hang out and waste your life with us?

CWL757

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:46 pm

"Were gonna end up in the corn field" - Sulloski
A319, A320, 738, 743, 744, 752, 772, 788, C150, E175, E190, F70, R22

kjeld0d

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:55 pm

schech wrote:
Thankfully they managed to remove the chassis

Remove the chassis?

goosebayguy

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:58 pm

Its great to see so many nationalities cope well in times of extreme stress. Firt we had the Gimli Glider then the BA B777 followed by SUlly and now this. Great pilots great skills. Well done.

qf789

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:22 pm

Please stick to the topic, this thread is not about the 737MAX, there are already plenty of topics on that already
Forum Moderator

YSAPW

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:41 pm

tu204 wrote:
Efhkspotter wrote:
tu204 wrote:
Would it have been better had they lowered the gear? :stirthepot:

What would have been better? Everyone is alive.

Less damage to the aircraft? Remember the COPA 733 that landed (and then took off from) a levy in New Orleans?

Not trying to be picky here, but that 733 was TACA (and not copa). Taca flight 110, piloted by Capt. Carlos Dardano and FO Dionisio Lopez.

Aeroflot777

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:48 pm

Glad this worked out, one hell of a day for all involved.

The applause video deserves its own spotlight and I hope there is some longer version of it. A truly heartwarming moment to have passengers thanking the crew and you can see how the emotions overtake the FA.

redcap1962

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:10 pm

Airbus builds damn good harvesters! :duck:
Last edited by redcap1962 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

DocLightning

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:25 pm

jupiter2 wrote:
But is it a write off ?

The engines sure are. The rest will buff right out with a touch of speed tape.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

sonicruiser

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:26 pm

CWL757 wrote:
"Were gonna end up in the corn field" - Sulloski

Hahahahaha :rotfl:

ScottishDavie

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:38 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
schech wrote:
Thankfully they managed to remove the chassis

Remove the chassis?

In context he/she obviously means retract the undercarriage. We don't all have the benefit of fluent English.

ukoverlander

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:55 pm

jupiter2 wrote:
Chrisba320 wrote:

Is that what lucks called now ?

It's a bit sad that you can't just give credit to the pilots where it's due. :roll: Just sayin'.

Flyingdevil737

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:58 pm

redcap1962 wrote:
Airbus builds damn good harvesters! :duck:

I’m surprised that they haven’t been licensed in the Farming Sim franchise yet! :lol:
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the very first Fokker airplane built in the world. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker.

Seabear

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:48 pm

In America you pop corn.

In Russia, corn pops you.

NWADTWE16

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:22 am

Bravo to everyone involved. Like others have stated, we know this would've been a mass casualty disaster in many if not most airports, surrounded by population and not this amazing corn.

Watching the videos is surreal, it was a crash clearly, but the calmest crash I've seen.
I am sure this not covered at all by U.S. press
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

Jouhou

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:37 am

NWADTWE16 wrote:
Bravo to everyone involved. Like others have stated, we know this would've been a mass casualty disaster in many if not most airports, surrounded by population and not this amazing corn.

Watching the videos is surreal, it was a crash clearly, but the calmest crash I've seen.
I am sure this not covered at all by U.S. press

(US here)
My co-workers had heard about it today, but no one had seen the video from inside the cabin. So it got coverage, just not with the same enthusiasm as in here or with Russian media (I'm assuming it's a big deal there).

Amiga500

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:02 am

So what can we learn from this?

Is there anything that can be done at airports to deter birds from the immediate vicinity?

Ultrasonic repellers?
Helium balloon dummies of birds of prey tied along the boundary fence (to the side of the runway obviously)?
Dedicated radar detectors at every airport along the glide and climb slopes?

Obviously once the aircraft has climbed out a bit, its not feasible to deter*, but having birds kill both engines with the aircraft still within the airport's boundaries is a bit concerning.

*however at that point, at least the pilot should have a bit of altitude to play with.

VapourTrails

Re: Ural Airlines A321 VQ-BOZ 15 August 2019 Moscow emergency landing

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:29 am

NWADTWE16 wrote:
Bravo to everyone involved. Like others have stated, we know this would've been a mass casualty disaster in many if not most airports, surrounded by population and not this amazing corn. Watching the videos is surreal, it was a crash clearly, but the calmest crash I've seen. I am sure this not covered at all by U.S. press.

It had limited press coverage in Australia, but was among the headliners.

Press interview with the crew. Starts at 1:05 but has English translation - Source: https://youtu.be/rdI5RBMYsqc
A.net member: 2001-2004, 2014-

alyusuph

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:40 am

hic787 wrote:
The corn really softened the landing!

The corn formed some small wheels for the belly to roll nicely :-)
I am not an Airbus or Boeing fan, just an aircraft fan

Armadillo1
Topic Author

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:41 am

Amiga500 wrote:
So what can we learn from this?

Is there anything that can be done at airports to deter birds from the immediate vicinity?

Ultrasonic repellers?
Helium balloon dummies of birds of prey tied along the boundary fence (to the side of the runway obviously)?
Dedicated radar detectors at every airport along the glide and climb slopes?

Obviously once the aircraft has climbed out a bit, its not feasible to deter*, but having birds kill both engines with the aircraft still within the airport's boundaries is a bit concerning.

*however at that point, at least the pilot should have a bit of altitude to play with.

it is clear an issue with ornithology service in ZIA.
its not so long become civilian airport with still just a dozen or two flights per day (but big plans)
and some issues with responsibility chain as test facility.
its less likely to happens in SVO or DME because bird protection service doing well there.

media war who is responsible already started, i expect more dirty PR.
they even try to start against junkyards close to ZIA where those birds feed on. (i dont believe in good results, junkyards is a painy issue near Moscow)

also, i interested what this bird is

djvalume

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:48 am

bhill wrote:
Ya know, John Deere will sell that farmer a MUCH MUCH cheaper combine.....

Just Sayin'

He didn't buy it... it just fell from the sky...

majano

Re: Ural Airlines A321 VQ-BOZ 15 August 2019 Moscow emergency landing

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:51 am

VapourTrails wrote:
NWADTWE16 wrote:
Bravo to everyone involved. Like others have stated, we know this would've been a mass casualty disaster in many if not most airports, surrounded by population and not this amazing corn. Watching the videos is surreal, it was a crash clearly, but the calmest crash I've seen. I am sure this not covered at all by U.S. press.

It had limited press coverage in Australia, but was among the headliners.

Press interview with the crew. Starts at 1:05 but has English translation - Source: https://youtu.be/rdI5RBMYsqc

The English translation is interesting. With questions coming from all angles, multiple persons speaking at the same time, it must be challenging to translate. But good job nonetheless.

330lover

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:07 pm

ltbewr wrote:
No doubt this was a great show of airmanship, luck and location. It does raise issues as with other airports of bird life near them that can cause interference with flight or crashes. Many airports are adjacent to water or marshes that support bird life, often protected areas so cannot control the population and if try to do so in many countries end up with protests against killing birds. I wonder if there any way or one could be developed to be able to detect bird movements in enough time so flights outbound or inbound can be suspended or would there be too many false alarms ?

I remember some years ago, Ethiopian Airlines started an evening rotation from Addis to Bahar Dar and back.
After a short while, this flight was suspended, due to bird strike risk.
See, not so far from the airport, there is a nature reserve where thousands of birds (herons, geese, ducks,..) gather in the evening to spend the night.
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

phugoid1982

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:25 pm

What makes this heroic pilots' actions much more impressive is that he did not begin a career in aviation till well into his 30s and had only 3000 hrs. This coupled with the fact they were also much lower when this happened this is much more impressive than the "Miracle on the Hudson" to me. I guess it never is to late to achieve your dreams.

Erebus

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:50 pm

phugoid1982 wrote:
What makes this heroic pilots' actions much more impressive is that he did not begin a career in aviation till well into his 30s and had only 3000 hrs.

I call fake. Only pilots with >20,000 hours and from the world's best aviation safety culture can pull off these things. :duck:

na

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:07 pm

Three cheers to the pilot! Even if he "only" did what was expected from him in such circumstances, Mr Yusupov is a hero for sure.

phugoid1982

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:36 pm

Erebus wrote:
phugoid1982 wrote:
What makes this heroic pilots' actions much more impressive is that he did not begin a career in aviation till well into his 30s and had only 3000 hrs.

I call fake. Only pilots with >20,000 hours and from the world's best aviation safety culture can pull off these things. :duck:

Haha. Of course. You know, I'm getting tired of the constant Sully adulation. I'm not taking away from his actions and to certain extent i feel it is more part of the hero obsessive culture in the US but he is everywhere now with the books, speaking engagements, even writing political op eds. I hope Captain Yusupov gets the credit he deserves but doesn't get as overexposed as Sully.

OA940

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:44 pm

phugoid1982 wrote:
Erebus wrote:
phugoid1982 wrote:

Haha. Of course. You know, I'm getting tired of the constant Sully adulation. I'm not taking away from his actions and to certain extent i feel it is more part of the hero obsessive culture in the US but he is everywhere now with the books, speaking engagements, even writing political op eds. I hope Captain Yusupov gets the credit he deserves but doesn't get as overexposed as Sully.

He won't, simply because this accident happened in Russia, even though what he and his first officer did was just as miraculous as US1549.
A350/CSeries = bae

Silverstreak

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:18 pm

There is another belly landing by a Russian airliner in history. A Tu-104 bellied landed in the Neva River in St. Petersburg. I recently came across this incident on the “The History Guy” on YouTube. I learned 2 things. This aircraft stayed afloat and was towed ashore with no pax injuries and Tu-104s were in Aeroflot service from 1956-1979. Incredible on both counts!

Aesma

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:32 pm

Just saw this. Amazing result !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:43 pm

OA940 wrote:
It's definitely just as impressive and challenging as the situation the crew of US1549 faced. It's a shame this miracle won't gather as much attention simply because of where it happened. These pilots deserve all the awards. They truly did something very impressive here

I disagree somewhat. The pilots did well here and they deserve any praise they get, but they didn't have to make the kind of decision Sully did. Their engines quit while they were barely airborne, there was a flat field in front, you learn before you first take off that in this situation you put it down in front, the only decision was about lowering the landing gear or not, and that's not even sure, there was maybe no time (and no hydraulics) to do it.

Sully was higher, had a couple options to choose from, and the end result could have been a crater in the middle of a densely populated area.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Armadillo1
Topic Author

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:48 pm

actually, left engine down first, than they tried to return with right one, but its failed short after left one.
good they dont tried to turn back or to river.

litz

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:11 pm

marcelh wrote:
OccupiedLav wrote:
Chrisba320 wrote:

At this point the aircraft was pretty much a glider, so I doubt the safe outcome was a result of advanced systems. This was good piloting/luck.

Those systems prevent the pilots to stall the plane when pulling on the stick too much.
And a nice big corn field also helped a lot!

True, but only if you have a source of power ... in the case of US 1549, they started the APU straight off, preserving the flight control envelope instead of ... what is it called, direct law? (someone airbus will correct, I'm sure).

If these guys had the APU (or enough engine power on the generators) they might have had the same ... either way, tremendous airmanship under what was certainly considerable pressure.

litz

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:17 pm

CO953 wrote:
crownvic wrote:
It is said that United 292 slid into a similar type of cornfield reducing impact and injuries too..

If you're referring to United 232 in Sioux City, the cornfield at the end really didn't do much. The DC-10 was already cartwheeling and broke to bits. In my opinion the only help the cornfield gave was to cushion the landing just a bit for passengers ejected from the plane during the breakup.

UA232 also came down faster, and hit harder, than a Space Shuttle landing. By a significant margin.

That situation was so marginal, it's actually never successfully been repeated in a simulator.

chiefs11

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:14 pm

rjmf22 wrote:
In flight video. Scary stuff:\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh_19imjx7o

Screen captures from the very beginning of that video:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos