cx828
Topic Author

Cathay Pacific CEO Rupert Hogg resigns

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:23 am

As per BBC Cathay Pacific boss resigns as ceo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-49297158

Paul Loo, the chief customer and commercial officer of Cathay who was one of Hogg’s deputies, has also stepped down.

Tang, Augustus Kin Wing will be the new CEO

https://www1.hkexnews.hk/listedco/listc ... 816434.pdf

TheFlyingDisk

Re: Cathay Pacific ceo Rupert hogg resigns

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:51 am

Obviously Augustus would be toeing the big dragon lady's line.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Luftymatt

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:04 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Exactly, it looks like Mr Hogg is being made a scapegoat off. It's also in line with Cathay replacing staff in high up positions with Chinese.
chase the sun

Virtual737

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:50 am

"Hogg said these had been "challenging weeks" and it was right for him and Loo to take responsibility as leaders."

I can think of at least one other industry chief who might want to take that on board.

tonystan

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:24 am

Well this reeks of the “Peoples Republic”!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

bennett123

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:43 am

I imagine that going forward any CX staff supporting the protests will be straight under the bus.

PlymSpotter

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:47 am

Not unexpected, but still somewhat concerning. Underhand government intervention is never a good thing.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

commpilot

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:04 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
Not unexpected, but still somewhat concerning. Underhand government intervention is never a good thing.

Especially when it's comes to major Chinese companies that are forced into joining the party or you don't operate. Everything is state run one way or another.

9w748capt

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:49 pm

Wow. Hong Kong as they knew it is gone. Done.

scootaway

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:57 pm

Please welcome Air China Hong Kong

USAirALB

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:58 pm

I personally wouldn't read too much into this, even considering the recent events in Hong Kong. Swire is still the majority stakeholder in CX.

I was always under the impression that Hogg wasn't necessarily well liked among CX crews, at least according to a friend of mine who works for CX. Augustus Tang has a long history at Swire/CX, and seems fit for the position. I am more concerned that a Hong Kong Express LCC exec is climbing the ranks of CX, and may be responsible for more cost-cutting.

If I woke up tomorrow and saw that Swire was selling its stake to Air China, then I would be concerned.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

KLMatSJC

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Does this mean we might see the return of CX special schemes?
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

seansasLCY

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:32 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:

That's seriously your priority right now with CX and HKG? I doubt CX will both with major promotions until things settle down and they can then run a campaign to promote HKG again.

However, at the moment, the people of HKG have other things to deal with.

LAXintl

Re: Cathay Pacific CEO Rupert Hogg resigns

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Imo a good move.

The airline has unfortunately been negatively embroiled and its staff directly associated with criminal protest, so a significant move was needed to reset things and help rebuild trust and confidence.

Letter to employees.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECFwMZNUYAEwNQL.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECFwMZNUcAAk_f2.jpg
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mercure1

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:13 pm

Pretty clear big changes were on the way since the CX chairman and Swire Group CEO both largely echoed CAAC concerns about the commitment to safety and security at the airline. That was a pretty clear shot against the airlines' management team.

USAirALB wrote:
. I am more concerned that a Hong Kong Express LCC exec is climbing the ranks of CX, and may be responsible for more cost-cutting.

Up until 1-month ago, he was at CX. He was only was appointed HK Express CEO in July when the deal closed.
mercure f-wtcc

ITSTours

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:16 pm

Air China owns 29.99% of Cathay so...

PlymSpotter

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:22 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:

Perhaps. I hear they are planning a series of Winnie-the-Pooh logojets to commemorate China's intervention in HKG

...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

UPlog

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:27 pm

This will be a good business school study of about management team with their head in the sand.

Classic example of management failing to grasp the importance of events and the larger world around them.

CX simply responded way with too little and way too late in being dragged into a political fire storm by some rogue staff. Simply sitting by or thinking things will blow over was obviously a terrible move. CX operates and largely owes its existence to serving China. You'll get burned by waking the dragon.

reply1984

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:42 pm

ITSTours wrote:
Air China owns 29.99% of Cathay so...

Well...The Air China's shares can be traced back to Cathay Pacific acquiring Dragon Air in 2006. There is also an agreement between Swire and CA and it sets strict restrictions for CA (e.g. CA cannot buy any CX shares/ buy any other local airlines unless they get approved by the board of CX; Swire can appoint the chairman of the board and can nominate enough directors so that Swire can control the board, etc).

Now two directors of CX have resigned and another two managers fill their positions, but these two new directors are still from Swire. It seems that Swire still controls CX.

SQ32

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:47 pm

It is not as if the Swire are popular in China, but contrary. The Swire are barely tolerated and Chinese intellects still remember gen1-Swire made the fortune by pushing opium to Chinese. This was evidenced by an almost comprehensive ban against Cathay to most Chinese cities earlier.

In 1996, CITIC Pacific increased its holdings in Cathay Pacific from 10% to 25%, while the Swire Group holding was reduced to 44% as two other Chinese companies, CNAC(G) and CTS, also bought substantial holdings.

The Chinese stake in Cathay protected the Swire and Cathay as they and China now have some interest in common.

But the relationship is never really good. For the past few months, China concern about Swire is fully confirm when Cathay managers failed to take adequate actions against staffs who participated in anti China protests.
Last edited by SQ32 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zeke

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:03 pm

The news comes as a surprise to me, Mr Hogg was a very good boss, fair and balanced to his employees and a very good leader. Under his leadership he turned the airline around and delivered very strong first half results. I have always found Mr Hogg to one of strong integrity and ethics, something which is hard to hard in leadership of large organizations these days.

I wish him good fortune in the future and good health to him and his family.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

ER757

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:30 pm

zeke wrote:
The news comes as a surprise to me, Mr Hogg was a very good boss, fair and balanced to his employees and a very good leader. Under his leadership he turned the airline around and delivered very strong first half results. I have always found Mr Hogg to one of strong integrity and ethics, something which is hard to hard in leadership of large organizations these days.

And I wish you and your co-workers at CX the same - hope things settle down

sonicruiser

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:37 pm

zeke wrote:

Very well said. I hope to see CX emerge stronger from all of this once this few weeks are done and dusted.

Revelation

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Part of the fat pay packets and golden handshake retirement packages that CEOs get is the need to be the fall guy when things go bad, even when they are outside of their control.

A bit of tolerance for letting staff have their own opinion was OK for quite a while, but now the party line has changed and the axe has fallen.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

J343

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:07 pm

This is a shame. Rupert Hogg was a good leader indeed. Ivan Chu on the other hand was not and Mr Hogg managed to get CX back into profitability.

LAXintl

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:41 pm

In the interview on CNN Quest Means Business show, it was mentioned it will be interesting to watch long term if CX corporate brand and image takes a permanent hit especially in a key market like China where both the consumer and government have long memories.

Letting Hogg go was at the very least part of the early stages of a crisis management process that will be tasked on rebuilding the carriers image and confidence in eyes of its key China market.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

zakuivcustom

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:56 pm

LAXintl wrote:
In the interview on CNN Quest Means Business show, it was mentioned it will be interesting to watch long term if CX corporate brand and image takes a permanent hit especially in a key market like China where both the consumer and government have long memories.

Mainland Chinese consumers have long memories? Something that's as far away from the truth as it gets :).

Seriously, Carrefour is still thriving (This was way back in 2008 Olympics), Japanese cars are still selling like hotcakes in mainland China (2014 Anti-Japan protest due to Diaoyutai/Senkaku dispute), Mainland Chinese visitors to South Korea is already rebounding (2017 THAAD "crisis"). I'll give 3 months max before this blow over and Chinese netizens move onto the next 京A88519.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

blueflyer

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:28 pm

USAirALB wrote:
I personally wouldn't read too much into this, even considering the recent events in Hong Kong. Swire is still the majority stakeholder in CX.

I think the past week or two have shown that if the Chinese government asks Swire to jump, Swire will jump as high as possible and apologize for not jumping higher still...
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

CX Flyboy

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:48 pm

I've not read whether they are leaving Swire, or simply resigning from Cathay and awaiting reassignment elsewhere in the Swire empire. While it is a shame Cathay is having to buckle to political bullying, I wouldn't necessarily worry about those departed leaders being able to feed their families just yet.

c933103

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:21 am

I heard that before Hogg resign, he was asked by CAAC to submit a list of staff participated in the strike. In response to the demand, he submitted a name list containing no one other than himself. That's probably one of the direct cause for his resignation if the rumor was true.
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

seat64k

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:35 pm

zeke wrote:
I have always found Mr Hogg to one of strong integrity and ethics, something which is hard to hard in leadership of large organizations these days.

I've heard similar thing from other Cathay staff.

c933103 wrote:
I heard that before Hogg resign, he was asked by CAAC to submit a list of staff participated in the strike. In response to the demand, he submitted a name list containing no one other than himself. That's probably one of the direct cause for his resignation if the rumor was true.

Source: https://news.ltn.com.tw/news/world/breakingnews/2888488

It also mentions that CCTV reported the news before Cathay announced it (something I've heard elsewhere too), giving more voice to the idea that he was pushed. Of course, the article uses the usual "It is reported that...", so who knows.

CX Flyboy

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:22 pm

“Strike”?? Maybe something lost in translation? Or do they mean that single day where many workers in HK took a day off work? (Officially or otherwise)

mercure1

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:00 pm

New CEO lays down plan:

“We must and will ensure 100 per cent compliance with [CAAC demands] and all directives. Quite simply, this is our licence to operate,” Tang said in his first memo to staff as boss.

“The way every single one of us acts, not only at work serving our customers but also outside work – on social media and in everyday life – impacts how we are perceived as a company,” he said. “We have made very clear that we have zero tolerance for illegal activities or breaches of our own policies.”

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... s-staff-he
mercure f-wtcc

EightyFour

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:47 pm

Just goes to show the protesters are right. If you don't tote the party line hard enough you will be eliminated in one way or another. It's sad to see what's happening to Hong Kong, as well as CX.

Galwayman

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:01 pm

Not interested in the political
Propaganda

Anyone who leaks passenger information and damages safety or security should go to prison and never be allowed to work for any airline ever again

SQ32

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:47 pm

Another CIA MI6 fake news ad nuseam.

You mean Hogg wont deliver Cathay staff information to CAAC when this guy just retrenched hundreds of workers some months back.

zeke

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:58 pm

SQ32 wrote:
Are you kidding?

I bet these alpha male CEOs will sell their mother instead of self-sacrifice. They will do anything for money.

I do not think you have ever met the gentleman Mr Hogg is to make such a character assassination.

Having known him personally, he is gentleman, a man of integrity and ethics. Many times I can think were he has not put money first as you claim.

Galwayman wrote:
Not interested in the political
Propaganda

Anyone who leaks passenger information and damages safety or security should go to prison and never be allowed to work for any airline ever again

Passenger information was not leaked, no names, seats, passport details etc.

It is on the public record that Hong Kong police and fire, along with members from far afield as Brazil and the USA are attending the 2019 World Police & Fire Games,.

You can see people have posted video of them YouTube and other internet sites with photos including those run directly by the Chinese mainland government.

No person has “damaged safety and security”. Hong Kong is regulated by the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department, the HKCAD has not made and indication of any issues.

No employeee has been convicted of rioting.

Cathay has been providing the details requested by CAAC, there has been no issues. We already routinely supply the same information to other agencies like Australia and the USA

The majority of flights into mainland China have been ramp checked, these checks have been taking 1-3 hours to complete. No safety issues have been identified m. They don’t like our rubbish bags or the way we secure our luggage, we fixed that.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

zeke

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:31 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
Another sad day for HK and for CX. Chinese politics keeps getting more and more depressing around the world. Hogg was a great leader.

Saludos,
Alex

Just to keep things factual, this is the actual terms of reference Hong Kong is to operate under.

From the official Hong King Government website

https://www.cmab.gov.hk/mobile/en/issues/joint2.htm

I cannot see under what provision Mr Hogg could have been legally influenced by parties outside of Hong King under the agreement.

“The Joint Declaration

In the Joint Declaration, the Government of the People's Republic of China declared that it had decided to resume the exercise of sovereignty over Hong Kong with effect from July 1, 1997, and the Government of the United Kingdom declared that it would restore Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China with effect from July 1, 1997.

The Government of the People's Republic of China declared that the basic policies of the PRC towards Hong Kong were:

Hong Kong shall be a Special Administrative Region (SAR) of the People's Republic of China upon the resumption of the exercise of sovereignty;
the Hong Kong SAR (HKSAR) will be directly under the authority of the Central People's Government and will enjoy a high degree of autonomy except in foreign and defence affairs which are the responsibilities of the Central People's Government;
the HKSAR will be vested with executive, legislative and independent judicial power including that of final adjudication. The laws in force before the resumption of the exercise of sovereignty by China will remain basically unchanged;
the Government of the HKSAR will be composed of local inhabitants. Foreign nationals working for the government of Hong Kong may remain in employment;
the social and economic system in Hong Kong before the resumption of the exercise of sovereignty by China will remain unchanged, and so will the life-style. Rights and freedoms, private property, ownership of enterprises, legitimate rights of inheritance and foreign investment will be protected by law;
the HKSAR will retain the status of a free port and a separate customs territory;
the HKSAR will retain the status of an international financial centre and there will be a free flow of capital. The Hong Kong dollar will continue to circulate and remain freely convertible;
the HKSAR will have independent finances;
the HKSAR may establish mutually beneficial economic relations with the United Kingdom and other countries;
using the name "Hong Kong, China", the HKSAR may on its own develop economic and cultural relations with states, regions and relevant international organisations;
the maintenance of public order in the HKSAR will be the responsibility of the HKSAR itself, and
these policies will remain unchanged for 50 years.”

I’m not getting into the politics about this, that is for another forum. The attitude that some have displayed in this thread one would say is somewhat contrary to the autonomy business should have in HKG to operate under HKG, with HKG laws and courts having the final arbitration.

seat64k

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:11 pm

CX Flyboy wrote:
“Strike”?? Maybe something lost in translation?

Likely. The article I linked mentions people who took part in the protest, but refers to the list as a "strike list" (罷工名單) - any Taiwnese readers can clear this up?

zakuivcustom

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:25 pm

zeke wrote:
I’m not getting into the politics about this, that is for another forum. The attitude that some have displayed in this thread one would say is somewhat contrary to the autonomy business should have in HKG to operate under HKG, with HKG laws and courts having the final arbitration.

Not trying to get into politics either, but all I'll say is people HAVE to realized that there is (supposedly) a totally separate system between mainland and HK. HKers in general have the right to strike, protest, and is guarantee freedom of speech - something that's totally infringed upon.

Somebody did ask Carrie Lam during the (as usual useless) press conference today about CX and how does the gov't guarantee that business in HK can operates according to law of HK instead of law of China. Of course, not surprisingly, she just deflect the question. But quite frankly, CX today, then there are the real estate corporations that more or less say "they love China and say no to violence" more or less with a gun pointed at the head (With the exception of, well, Li Ka Shing whose response is a lot more vague).

Hack, all these infringements are the reason why HKers are so pissed in general anyway! :banghead: :banghead:

seat64k wrote:
Likely. The article I linked mentions people who took part in the protest, but refers to the list as a "strike list" (罷工名單) - any Taiwnese readers can clear this up?

I believe CAAC wants the list of employees who "strike" (in mainland Chinese definition, of course) during a protests earlier at the airport, so yes, that does refer to "Strike List".
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

SQ32

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:25 pm

On the contrary, the violent rioters and Cathay's earlier inappropriate support of radicalized employees were partially responsible for the collapse of rule of law. The radical aircrew was also a safety concern. Cathay now realized her mistake and made several public annoucement in support of law and order. Unfortunately it was too little too late.

WorldFlier

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:08 am

Luftymatt wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Exactly, it looks like Mr Hogg is being made a scapegoat off. It's also in line with Cathay replacing staff in high up positions with Chinese.

He's not a scapegoat. He sacrificed himself:

https://www.ibtimes.com/cathay-pacific- ... st-2815487

Wish more leaders would LEAD!

Newark727

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:11 am

DTVG wrote:
Bad guy Hogg and the radical aircrew!

Wait, are we talking about Cathay Pacific or 1990s skateboarding clubs?

ewt340

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:21 am

This is the end of Hong Kong. Pretty sad....

He is a good man for sacrificing himself so innocent employee wouldn't get hurt by the Chinese Government.

juliuswong

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:25 am

Hi all, please stay on topic, thanks to those who have.

Also, thank you to those who have filed report thus far, we have given some members warning and ban to make sure every forum members are able to contribute constructively.

Thanks.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

zeke

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:30 am

SQ32 wrote:
On the contrary, the violent rioters and Cathay's earlier inappropriate support of radicalized employees were partially responsible for the collapse of rule of law. The radical aircrew was also a safety concern. Cathay now realized her mistake and made several public annoucement in support of law and order. Unfortunately it was too little too late.

Cathay has always supported law and order, the Hong Kong law is for Hong Kong to be the final say on issues within Hong Kong.

It is against Hong Kong law for a foreign states to interfere with the autonomy of Hong Kong. It is against Hong Kong law for agencies of foreign states to interfere with the regulation of aviation activities in Hong Kong.

It is against Hong Kong law for foreign states to force the leaders of private companies like Mr Hogg to leave their posts.

It is against Hong Kong law to blackmail or intimidate individuals or corporations.

It is against Hong Kong law and international law for foreign states to kidnap private business owners and transport them across boarders for interrogation and torture.

It is against Hong Kong and international law for foreign states to kidnap and detain diplomatic staff.

It is against Hong Kong law for foreign states to use fake Twitter and Facebook accounts to slander individuals and corporations.

Neither the Hong Kong CAD or any other aviation regulator has found safety deficiencies with Cathay. Notwithstanding that foreign state agents and agencies have slanderous stated there are safety issues.

No Hong Kong court has found a Cathay employee guilty of an offence.

Mr Hogg is a true gentleman, a terrific leader. He unfortunately got in the path of an unprecedented attack on a publicly listed Hong Kong company based on false and misleading information falsely spread by a foreign state.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos