Doberdawg
Topic Author
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:48 am

Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:50 pm

Looking at the history in the civil aviation forum as well as a general search online I could not find much - has there ever been or are there plans for any flights from NE Brazil, say FOR, NAT or REC to ROB, ABJ or ACC in West Africa?
 
sw733
Posts: 5859
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:19 am

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:04 pm

Doberdawg wrote:
Looking at the history in the civil aviation forum as well as a general search online I could not find much - has there ever been or are there plans for any flights from NE Brazil, say FOR, NAT or REC to ROB, ABJ or ACC in West Africa?


I’m not sure about the history, but I very much doubt there is much of a market between NE Brazil and West Africa, expect for Cabo Verde (which does have Brazil service). There are minimal business and cultural ties between, say, Natal and Accra.
 
ThalesCoelho
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:02 pm

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:08 pm

Maybe only at the DCs and Connies times, for refueling beteween SA and Europe. 0 commercial ties that justfy a flight.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2407
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Was there a Varig 727 GIG-REC-LOS ages ago?
Only similar flight (but not ex NE Brazil) was GIG-LOS with a Varig 707 and GRU-ABJ-BEY with MEA A310 (maybe also a 747?)
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2806
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:39 pm

eta unknown wrote:
Was there a Varig 727 GIG-REC-LOS ages ago?
Only similar flight (but not ex NE Brazil) was GIG-LOS with a Varig 707 and GRU-ABJ-BEY with MEA A310 (maybe also a 747?)


http://www.departedflights.com/GIG89p1.html

There was GIG-ABJ and GIG-LOS, both on Varig DC10, as late as 1989. But again, still not NE Brasil.

As sw733 already said, other than Cabo Verde, I just don't see how much market there is between Western Africa and NE Brasil, or for that matter, Brasil overall.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Posts: 1530
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:40 pm

I know this is about West Africa but,
RwandAIr is looking at starting flights to Brazil in the near futur:

https://ktpress.rw/2019/08/brazil-is-ou ... dair-boss/
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
AF022
Posts: 1817
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:41 pm

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 pm

There was some discussion years ago on this forum about GOL starting GRU-REC-LOS? I think they were trying to get in the GRU-LOS market using 737s.

I found this but not on airliners.net
https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... ket-113243

"Gol aims to launch three weekly flights from Recife in northeast Brazil to Lagos in Nigeria by the end of 2013."
 
hpff
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:20 am

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:03 pm

The flights from say FOR-ACC are not short flights - they're longer than a transcontinental U.S. flight by miles, for instance, plus there appears to be a total lack of demand. You can fly to SID from all the major Brazilian airports due to the cultural ties, but you can only really get to DKR from SID.

A random flight search REC-ACC only shows flight options for four out of the seven days of the week and includes stops in GIG/GRU-CDG/AMS, LIS/LFW, or GRU/IST.
 
Superboi
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:40 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
Was there a Varig 727 GIG-REC-LOS ages ago?
Only similar flight (but not ex NE Brazil) was GIG-LOS with a Varig 707 and GRU-ABJ-BEY with MEA A310 (maybe also a 747?)


http://www.departedflights.com/GIG89p1.html

There was GIG-ABJ and GIG-LOS, both on Varig DC10, as late as 1989. But again, still not NE Brasil.

As sw733 already said, other than Cabo Verde, I just don't see how much market there is between Western Africa and NE Brasil, or for that matter, Brasil overall.


I Remember seeing Varig in Lagos with their DC-10s in the late 1980s......My last memory was a Misapproach in the harmattan I think in 1988/1989 season, don't think I saw them again after that
 
User avatar
BenChSFO
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:22 am

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:27 am

I remember years ago Varig had flights from Lagos to Salvador and continuing to Sao Paulo (not NE Brazil).
 
User avatar
leleko747
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:16 pm

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:50 am

Not sure if it counts as "West Africa" but Cabo Verde Airlines flies from SID to FOR, REC and SSA using their fleet of 757-200 jets. The first city served was Fortaleza, since 2001, if I remember well.

LAM Moçambique (again: not sure if it counts) also had a few flights to FOR (maybe charters?) using the 767-200ER!
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.
 
2travel2know2
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:57 am

If there were some demand, probably would be between ABJ/LOS/DLA and GIG because of oil, not between the rest of West Africa and North East Brazil.
There are flights between Cabo Verde (RAI/SID) and North East Brazil, however, worth noticing that there are no flights (yet) between Brazil and Guinea Bissau or São Tome, even if those countries are Portuguese speaking too.
I'm not on CM's payroll.
 
User avatar
ojjunior
Posts: 826
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:04 am

AF022 wrote:
There was some discussion years ago on this forum about GOL starting GRU-REC-LOS? I think they were trying to get in the GRU-LOS market using 737s.

I found this but not on airliners.net
https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... ket-113243

"Gol aims to launch three weekly flights from Recife in northeast Brazil to Lagos in Nigeria by the end of 2013."


Was this for real?
Good they didn't!
Dear Lord... it would be hard to imagine a worst nightmare than this.
 
peterinlisbon
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:09 pm

TACV based in Cap Verde flies to Dakar and Lago in West Africa and Fortaleza, Recife, Salvador and Belem in NE Brazil. Cap Verde itself is technically a West African country.
 
peterinlisbon
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:11 pm

ojjunior wrote:
AF022 wrote:
There was some discussion years ago on this forum about GOL starting GRU-REC-LOS? I think they were trying to get in the GRU-LOS market using 737s.

I found this but not on airliners.net
https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... ket-113243

"Gol aims to launch three weekly flights from Recife in northeast Brazil to Lagos in Nigeria by the end of 2013."


Was this for real?
Good they didn't!
Dear Lord... it would be hard to imagine a worst nightmare than this.


If they could get to the Canary Islands that would provide a pretty cheap way of getting between Europe and South America, given that you could self-connect from there to pretty much anywhere in Europe.
 
User avatar
lesfalls
Posts: 3268
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:33 pm

Didn't ET fly LFW-GRU a couple of years back but then stopped it due to low demand?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4120
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Whatever demand there is from Brazil to Africa is in Sao Paulo. There is next to zero profitable demand from NE Brazil to places such as Lagos.

Over the years, VARIG flew to Africa either as a destination itself (Lagos, Abidjan, Johannesburg) or as a stop on the way to Europe (Monrovia). VARIG even lost a 707 (PP-VJK flt RG797) near Abidjan in January 1987, with the loss of 50 of its 51 occupants
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
KMCO
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:11 pm

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:04 pm

I do remember that VRG flew REC/SID on a 727 (late 70's early 80's), but nothing to continental Africa from NE Brazil.
 
PB26
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:09 am

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:08 pm

Nowadays TACV flies SID-REC/SSA/FOR, the only links between Brazil and West Africa. The Government of Ceara (where is located FOR) is in talks with RAM to fly CMN-FOR.

In 1950s and 1960s, many south american and european carriers flew XXX-GIG-REC-DKR/SID-LIS/MAD-XXX. BSAA flew via NAT.

Panair and Varig flew Rio de Janeiro-Monrovia-Rome in the Sixties. Varig flew GIG-LOS-SSA-GIG with 707 and DC 10. For a few months, the Bellview Airlines flew LOS-GIG with A300-600!
Rio and all South America by Panair do Brasil’s jets.
 
behramjee
Posts: 4965
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:56 am

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:37 pm

Quite simply put the P2p demand between West Africa and GRU is vvv small.

The biggest market segment is LOS-GRU which had only 10,200 round trip pax in 2018 so no way is it feasible to operate. Even ET suspended ADD-LFW-GRU in favour of nonstop from ADD itself relying on feed from India SE Asia NBO and DXB.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4120
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Flights from Northeast Brazil to West Africa

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:50 pm

PB26 wrote:
Nowadays TACV flies SID-REC/SSA/FOR, the only links between Brazil and West Africa. The Government of Ceara (where is located FOR) is in talks with RAM to fly CMN-FOR.

In 1950s and 1960s, many south american and european carriers flew XXX-GIG-REC-DKR/SID-LIS/MAD-XXX. BSAA flew via NAT.

Panair and Varig flew Rio de Janeiro-Monrovia-Rome in the Sixties. Varig flew GIG-LOS-SSA-GIG with 707 and DC 10. For a few months, the Bellview Airlines flew LOS-GIG with A300-600!


Slightly off topic: AR's Comet IVs did EZE-GIG-REC-DKR-MAD from 1959 until 1966 when the 707s replaced them and with them came the first EZE-MAD nonstop, the longest scheduled nonstop flight in the world back then and a quantum leap over the Comets. For some time in 1959, AR's Comets where the first scheduled jets to operate regularly over the South Atlantic.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos