Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sonicruiser
Topic Author

30th anniversary of Qantas LHR-SYD 747 record flight

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:47 am

30 years ago on August 16, 1989, VH-OJA set the record for what was then the world's longest commercial flight departing LHR and touching down in SYD 20hrs and 9min later.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-17/ ... t/11413346

http://www.traveller.com.au/how-a-qanta ... 989-h0y0y4

GalaxyFlyer

Re: 30th anniversary of Qantas LHR-SYD 747 record flight

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:04 am

It wasn’t commercial, it was a delivery flight with all sorts of unique features—special high density load of fuel, almost no stores or delivery shipment, few passengers. Shell actually found a batch of jet fuel of exceptional density to ensure a full load, towed to runway end at LHR (!) and made it.

GF

PC12Fan

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:31 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It wasn’t commercial, it was a delivery flight with all sorts of unique features—special high density load of fuel, almost no stores or delivery shipment, few passengers. Shell actually found a batch of jet fuel of exceptional density to ensure a full load, towed to runway end at LHR (!) and made it.

GF

Thanks for those links! Nice video of the event as well.

I actually remember hearing about this when it hit the news. I was really a 747-400 back then, (still am, probably always will be) so it naturally got my attention.

Also glad to hear it's was donated to go on display. Deservedly so IMHO.

Long live the Queen!

SpaceshipDC10

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:50 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

"The plane was filled with the super-fuel and with just 23 people on board" (Source: Aunty)

QF93

Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:52 pm

The ABC article seems to suggest the delivery flight was “top secret”. I was fairly young at the time so don’t remember much about it, but was it the case that Qantas kept the flight quiet beforehand?

If the flight happened these days there would be a massive marketing campaign launched around the flight complete with social media strategy and onboard celebrities live tweeting every step of the flight !

chunhimlai

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:51 pm

Soon we will see the longest commercial flight

ClassicLover

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:46 pm

QF93 wrote:
The ABC article seems to suggest the delivery flight was “top secret”. I was fairly young at the time so don’t remember much about it, but was it the case that Qantas kept the flight quiet beforehand?

If the flight happened these days there would be a massive marketing campaign launched around the flight complete with social media strategy and onboard celebrities live tweeting every step of the flight !

I don't really think so... it was announced in the press, because my Dad and I went off to Sydney Airport to see it land. We weren't the only ones there to see it come in either, so it was known that it was happening.

Perhaps they meant it was top secret in the planning stages. Once it was near flight time, no-one could gazump them, so it was announced.

UA735WL

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:16 pm

There's a pretty entertaining account of the flight at this website:

http://www.aussieairliners.org/b-747/vh ... story.html

Fitting that the 30th anniversary should come around with all this tall of Project Sunrise and the like.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos