washingtonflyer

Re: IAD Airport finally bounces back

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:07 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
jetblastdubai wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
but it doesn't have all of the stops the Silver Line will have.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure on how long the ride will be out to IAD?

The loop to ORD is close to an hour and no one seems to have an issue with that since many times the train flies by traffic stalled on the freeway. It's close to impossible to plan a trip when auto travel times vary so much. The train takes the same time regardless of time of day or rush hour. Travel times and airport parking fees or taxi/Uber costs ought to make even the longest train trip tolerable.

WMATA.com trip planner puts WIEHLE-RESTON EAST METRO STATION to METRO CENTER STATION at 41 minutes. Add another 15-20 and you’re at Dulles. So that’s about 1hr from downtown to IAD.

Agree. I would put Metro Center to IAD at probably about 50 to 55 minutes. Its about a 5 minute walk from the station to the escalators at the terminal - served mostly by moving walkway.

washingtonflyer

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:08 pm

DCA-ROCguy wrote:
NiMar wrote:
Dulles would work even better if there were a more direct Potomac river crossing from Montgomery County on, say, Rte 28. As it stands one has to go over the American Legion Bridge of the Beltway and endure awful traffic most of the day.

Given the tech corridors along both 270 and the Toll Road, not to mention IAD, such a bridge would be a great idea. But there's opposition in MoCo to a highway through the "agricultural reserve" farmland in the southwestern part of the county to cross the river and meet up with the Toll Road corridor. This article from April 2019 suggests there won't be a bridge soon.

Jim

https://bethesdamagazine.com/bethesda-b ... the-water/

Yeah, discussions of bridges up river are fightin' words for the folks in Poolesville.

washingtonflyer

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:13 pm

msp747 wrote:
What premium market is currently without service due to the perimeter rule? Just about every major city outside of the zone has service and some have service from more than one airline. So how are you FORCED to go to IAD? United offers service from DCA to all its hubs other than LAX (and IAD), yet those markets are still served from IAD.

SAN. AA had to stop owing to slot issues during the merger with US.

RyanairGuru

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:05 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
msp747 wrote:
What premium market is currently without service due to the perimeter rule? Just about every major city outside of the zone has service and some have service from more than one airline. So how are you FORCED to go to IAD? United offers service from DCA to all its hubs other than LAX (and IAD), yet those markets are still served from IAD.

SAN. AA had to stop owing to slot issues during the merger with US.

They didn't have to give up the slot, AA opted to move it to LAX to make DCA-LAX double daily. The second LAX is the legacy US perimeter exemption used for SAN pre-merger.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

washingtonflyer

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:30 pm

If the choice was an O&D route or a connection to a major hub, then the choice is probably pretty easy. Either way, SAN is sans a DCA connection.

KD5MDK

Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:52 am

SMF is a major city with I expect significant travel demand to DC that doesn't appear to have direct DCA service I can find.

msp747

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:30 pm

KD5MDK wrote:
SMF is a major city with I expect significant travel demand to DC that doesn't appear to have direct DCA service I can find.

It appears WN has 1 direct between SMF and BWI. UA also has a daily flight between SMF and IAD, but it is a redeye. I don't know if that's enough demand for an airline to use a slot on (if they had the opportunity) or not.

Antarius wrote:
msp747 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Then let the market dictate it. Slots are here to stay, why do we need to add extra rules. If you are so confident that slots are the reason that DCA will not replace IAD for high-demand routes, then let it happen.. nothing should change. Instead, we have what amounts to a anti-Wright Amendment argument here.

I don't personally care. I don't live in DC or go there super often, so nice try to cast away my argument as "personal preference". IAD is and has been a massive failure in terms of utilization, a grandiose idea that never worked out. MWAA is only interested in band-aiding the problem and artificially holding back the market from DCA to prop up IAD. All at the expense of consumers.

If IAD is really so important, relax the rules and let's see what happens. Why so scared?

LOL... this is just getting sad. Why so scared? I guess in that alternate universe of yours, I personally am the overlord of MWAA and Congress and the only reason I am not getting rid of the rule is because I'm worried changing it could jeopardize my chances of winning an argument on A.Net :roll:

If you want to change it, knock yourself out. It doesn't bother me. Call your congressman. Donate money to their campaign. Start a change.org petition. Don't let me stop you. It's just I have better things to do with my time then fight to change something that doesn't bother me.

Another deflection.

I don't really see how it's a deflection. You asked why I was scared of eliminating the perimeter rule, and I said I'm not, but it's not my call. I told you who you should take it up with if you really want to see it go away. I am not sure what else I am supposed to do to make you happy.

I am confident there is enough traffic in the DC area for all 3 airports to succeed, even if the perimeter rule went away. I think others on this forum have also provided a lot of information that shows why IAD plays an important role, especially when it comes to international traffic. if you lived here, spent more time here, or used all of the airports in this region on a regular basis, you would come to realize that as well. Until Congress and MWAA decide to do away with the perimeter rule, we have the status quo. They are the only 2 agencies that can make that change. IT'S NOT MY DECISION.

HP69

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:34 pm

AA should really add DCA-DEN service to compete with UA and F9.

blockski

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:40 pm

HP69 wrote:

They can't; DEN is beyond the DCA perimeter (unless AA wants to move their LAX flight to DEN).

YoungDon

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:49 pm

blockski wrote:
HP69 wrote:

They can't; DEN is beyond the DCA perimeter (unless AA wants to move their LAX flight to DEN).

Yep, but AA probably wishes they could fly DCA-DEN - I bet UA is cleaning up on that route. I believe they use a 753 on it.

dcaproducer

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:15 pm

YoungDon wrote:
blockski wrote:
HP69 wrote:

Yep, but AA probably wishes they could fly DCA-DEN - I bet UA is cleaning up on that route. I believe they use a 753 on it.

Every beyond perimeter route from DCA is probably a gold mine. Limited frequency, limited competition, desirable routes.

AS does well on SEA from DCA. DL fills their daily LAX flight and it’s flown on a 75S with D1 service. The DL flight to SLC is also popular.

jplatts

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:20 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
YoungDon wrote:
Every beyond perimeter route from DCA is probably a gold mine. Limited frequency, limited competition, desirable routes.

AS does well on SEA from DCA. DL fills their daily LAX flight and it’s flown on a 75S with D1 service. The DL flight to SLC is also popular.

While WN currently uses its only beyond-perimeter slot exemption on DCA-AUS, there is enough demand for WN to serve DEN and LAS nonstop from DCA if WN can acquire extra beyond perimeter slot exemptions at DCA as there is significant O&D on both DCA-DEN and DCA-AUS along with a significant amount of passengers connecting to DCA from beyond-perimeter cities in the Western U.S.

ITB

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:07 pm

msp747 wrote:
I am confident there is enough traffic in the DC area for all 3 airports to succeed, even if the perimeter rule went away.

I agree. While there is some overlap, IAD, BWI, and DCA each have their respective catchment basins. The population within IAD's prime catchment area numbers around two million, and it's rapidly growing. In time, it is almost inevitable IAD will become the Capital Region's largest airport. There's several factors which are leaning in Dulles' favor, including:

• located near one of most desirable business districts in the country, that is, the Dulles Corridor, which stretches from Tysons to Dulles
• positioned at the center of one of the wealthiest areas in the U.S. — of the highest-income counties in the U.S., Loudoun County is No. 1; Fairfax County, No. 3
• robust population growth in prime catchment basin — Loudoun County will soon hit 500,000; Fairfax 1,200,000; Prince William 500,000+
• new transportation option — Metro — may prove popular, due to ease of use and money savings — no parking fees, no $60+ taxi fares, etc.
• strengthened O/D — 65% in 2011 — population growth in catchment basin may open up new markets, both domestic and international, due to increased O/D demand

If you question my assertion IAD will become the region's largest airport, it may be enlightening to read a 2013 report issued by MWCOG (Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments) that analyzes and forecasts O/D of the region's airports. The report projects IAD becoming the largest airport in terms of enplanements in 2035, overtaking BWI. To be sure, estimates and forecasts are a moving target, and nothing stays the same. Nevertheless, population growth alone points to IAD steadily growing enplanements in upcoming years.

MWCOG Report: https://www.mwcog.org/assets/1/6/APOD_1 ... y_2013.pdf

After bottoming out in 2014, IAD is indeed showing signs of a resurgence. If UA decides to add a bank or two, enplanements will approach the 15 million mark, enabling MWAA to replace C/D with a world-class facility. Additional banks, too, may lift IAD over BWI in enplanements, sooner rather than later.

As for the lifting of perimeter restrictions at DCA, the impact on IAD is increasingly limited, as there's only a handful of additional routes — SAN, SMF, ABQ, SAT — that may be viable from DCA. In fact, as population growth expands in the Dulles catchment basin, these and other beyond perimeter markets more viable at IAD than at either DCA or BWI, all the more so with continuing corporate growth in Tysons, Reston, and other points along the Dulles Corridor. Bear in mind that even though the District of Columbia, Arlington, and Alexandria, are growing, it's the outer areas of the Capital Region — particularly the Virginia counties of Loudoun, Stafford, and Prince William — that are growing at a much, much faster rate, with thousands of new residents added yearly.

Sources:
List of Highest-Income Counties in U.S.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... ted_States
DCA Route Map (nonstop destinations): https://www.flyreagan.com/dca/nonstop-destinations

STT757

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:47 pm

According to that list UA is the hub carrier for 8 out of the 10 wealthiest counties in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

bluefltspecial
Topic Author

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:58 am

KD5MDK wrote:

IIRC I believe that B6 operated IAD-SMF for a short time when they were building up Dulles. However, with limited connection feed and the economy at the time, I don't think there was enough government traffic to sustain the route as they had hoped.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos