Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Zoedyn
Topic Author

World's largest single-building satellite concourse ready to open at PVG

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:58 am

Shanghai Pudong Airport will soon be opening the world's largest single-building satellite concourse that provides 86-125 stands for various types of aircrafts with a capacity to handle 80 million pax a year.

Absolute no doubt PVG, which is already overtaking HKG in pax numbers this year 2019, will soon knock off PEK to become China's #1 hub airport given the inevitable PKX split.

Then it'll be intriguing to watch whether PVG can take the #1 spot as the world's busiest airport in pax volume in decades to come as some Shanghainese ardently wish it to :spin:

全球最大单体卫星厅即将闪亮登场 浦东机场三期工程通过行业验收,已具备投运条件PVG to open world's largest single-building satellite concourse

New satellite terminals to propel Shanghai’s ascent

Pic via 中国民航网/CAACNEWS

ShanghaiNoon

Re: World's largest single-building satellite concourse ready to open at PVG

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:40 am

:D :D :D I can't wait to check it out. Hopefully we'll be seeing fewer low-floor buses. They're becoming a bit too common for my liking at PVG and SHA.

xiaotung

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:05 am

I was told even though the satellite terminal is one single building, it's split into S1 and S2 and each is operated separetely. There is no airside transfer facility between the two. I know everyone is excited as this is long over due but the soft product can be shockingly bad.

ShanghaiNoon

Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:12 am

That depends on which airlines are using it. They'll probably fill it with flights full of passengers who don't need airside transit. Spring Airlines and Juneyao mainly do point-to-point flights, so I could see them moving. Tour groups generally don't like transferring, so charters and scheduled flights that cater to them might be well-suited to the new terminal.

sincx

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:30 am

ShanghaiNoon wrote:
:D :D :D I can't wait to check it out. Hopefully we'll be seeing fewer low-floor buses. They're becoming a bit too common for my liking at PVG and SHA.

After boarding US-bound 787s from remote gates multiple times at PVG in recent years, I agree. It's one thing to use buses for an A319, but for a 250+ pax 787-9?!

LAX772LR

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:49 am

sincx wrote:
It's one thing to use buses for an A319, but for a 250+ pax 787-9?!

You act like that's somehow atypical/unreasonable... widebodies far larger than that have been bus/remote loaded for half a century, when needed.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Ishrion

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:12 am

LAX772LR wrote:
sincx wrote:

You act like that's somehow atypical/unreasonable... widebodies far larger than that have been bus/remote loaded for half a century, when needed.

Depending on the airport, it can cause a bit of delays because they would have to use multiple buses in multiple waves in order to bus the passengers to the remote stand.

3 weeks ago at Xiamen, we had a completely full 787-9 to Beijing. Our gate was a remote stand next to Xiamen Air’s hangar. Our flight ended up departing about 20-30 minutes late because passengers were still boarding.

ShanghaiNoon

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:13 am

LAX772LR wrote:
sincx wrote:

We're not saying it's unreasonable. We're just saying we don't like it, and we'll be grateful if we don't have to do it anymore. Bus rides at PVG can be very long depending on which gate you're leaving from, and on a few occasions I've come close to being injured when the driver stomped on the brakes without warning.

tjcab

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:27 am

sincx wrote:
ShanghaiNoon wrote:

After boarding US-bound 787s from remote gates multiple times at PVG in recent years, I agree. It's one thing to use buses for an A319, but for a 250+ pax 787-9?!

Actually, I enjoy boarding via bus. Nice to get a free tarmac tour and see the grand scale of the aircraft I'm about to fly on.

DTVG

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:00 am

xiaotung wrote:
I was told even though the satellite terminal is one single building, it's split into S1 and S2 and each is operated separetely. There is no airside transfer facility between the two. I know everyone is excited as this is long over due but the soft product can be shockingly bad.

That sounds pretty weak. Transferring between T1 & T2 (and transferring in China as a foreigner in general) is extremely inefficient. They missed the opportunity to make things better.

xiaotung

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:27 am

DTVG wrote:
xiaotung wrote:

That sounds pretty weak. Transferring between T1 & T2 (and transferring in China as a foreigner in general) is extremely inefficient. They missed the opportunity to make things better.

China likes to focus on being the biggest not the best. Take PVG T2 as an example, it was designed with a lot of user friendly functions in mind. Most gates have dual bridges and are capable of handling domestic and international pax at the same gate at the same time, ideal for those aircraft arriving as an international flight but carrying on as a domestic flight or v.v. But my observation in these circumstances is that airlines or the airport operator would rather have the aircraft parked at a remote stand and have buses to transfer international and domestic pax separately.

chunhimlai

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:09 am

PVG satellite building offer more bridged gate than Daxing main terminal

airbazar

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:12 pm

xiaotung wrote:
DTVG wrote:
xiaotung wrote:

China likes to focus on being the biggest not the best.

To be fair, they don't really have a choice on the size do they? In a country with a population of 1.4 billion, every infrastructure project needs to account for a huge amount of users.

Erebus

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:56 pm

tjcab wrote:
sincx wrote:
ShanghaiNoon wrote:

Actually, I enjoy boarding via bus. Nice to get a free tarmac tour and see the grand scale of the aircraft I'm about to fly on.

Same. I always liked getting up close and personal with aircraft. Seeing nothing between me and those big engines too!

flyer56

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:58 pm

DTVG wrote:
xiaotung wrote:

It is not a full terminal, just remote boarding gates or a "satellite concourse". Departing passengers still check in at T1 or T2 and S1 and S2 are just remote, additional boarding gates for the airlines in T1 or T2.

I agree with you on international transit though at PVG. It was never a focus of their design and I do not even know if it is something they will want support in a major way going forward. Domestic service is all point to point with surpisingly few hub type operations. A few years back I flew from Baotou in Inner Mongolia to Shanghai connecting in Beijing on Air China. There were only two gates at Baotou airport at that time and all airlines shared the same check-in counters manned by the same general services staff. When I went to check in the agent said there was now a direct flight on China Eastern and asked me to go to the Air China ticket counter and see if they would change my ticket to the non-stop on MU. I tried, the CA agent said no, and when I tried to check in again the agent went to the CA ticket counter to try to talk some sense into them. I connected in PEK. : )

Prost

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:48 pm

I always feel that China is on the verge of amazing things. I’ve felt this way for the past 15 years unfortunately.

OA940

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:10 pm

Erebus wrote:
tjcab wrote:
sincx wrote:

Same. I always liked getting up close and personal with aircraft. Seeing nothing between me and those big engines too!

Me too. Especially when said bus takes you all around the airport to get to the gate and you get to see tons of traffic. Plus whenever I board from a bus gate I remember that planes are a lot bigger up close than they look in pictures and it's great.
A350/CSeries = bae

DFW17L

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:49 pm

tjcab wrote:
sincx wrote:
ShanghaiNoon wrote:

I agree. I arrived into LAX at a remote stand on a very new AA 789. It looked absolutely awesome from ground level.

United857

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:05 pm

DTVG wrote:
xiaotung wrote:

Reading through the Chinese press-release, passengers should be able to walk between S1 and S2 airside. However, the airport will try to keep operations simpler by limiting T1 airlines to the western half of the satellite (referred to as S1) and T2 airlines to the eastern half of the satellite (referred to as S2). As a result, there are two separate people movers, one from T1 to the western half of the satellite (S1) and a separate one from T2 to the eastern half of the satellite (S2). Perhaps maybe something like the baggage handling system is not connected between the two sides thus forcing operations this way?

On the other hand, the entire satellite concourse is built European-style (the way many airports both Schengen and non-Schengen access to each gate), with the top floor for international departures, the floor below for domestic departures and arrivals in mixed flow, and the bottom floor for international arrivals. This way all gates in the satellite can be used for either domestic or international flights depending on what doors are opened in the jetway.

I think the video (unfortunately in Chinese-only) in the following link illustrates the design quite well: https://www.thepaper.cn/newsDetail_forward_1414502
A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A346 A388 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B748 B752 B764 B772 B77L B77W B788 B789 CRJ2 E145 E75S E75L E190 MD88 MD90
AA AC B6 CA CX CZ DL EK FM HU JL KA LH LX MU NH NK TK UA US

ShanghaiNoon

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:27 am

Just used it yesterday taking SL975 from PVG to HKT. The subway train is kinda cool. It seems to use the same equipment as the Shanghai Metro. The terminal itself is really boring and sterile. I would have taken some pictures, but there was nothing to photograph. There was no good spotting to be done from my gate either. Luckily they had lots of power outlets.

ThomasCook

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:33 am

Perhaps certain carriers/airports should look to Emirates/DXB for pointers. They can board an A380 or 77W to perfection by bus and depart right on time. I’ve done it many, many times. Although I much prefer boarding by airbridge, it’s a pretty awesome experience boarding an A380 by stairs.

ShanghaiNoon

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:06 am

PVG seems to handle A380s quite well. The new satellite terminal mainly seems to handle flights that almost nobody would connect to or from: discount airlines' narrow bodies to and from Japan and Southeast Asia carrying tour groups.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos