Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

n7371f

Re: Delta 757 hard landing this morning at Azores PDL

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:46 am

They also did a majority of DL's M90 and 717 entry into service.

wjcandee wrote:
Flightstar is where Atlas fixed its bent 767.

PW100

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:03 pm

airtechy wrote:
Assuming the flight back to the US will be with a ferry permit, who would issue the permit .. the FAA or the equivalent Azores authority? It would be interesting to see the conditions for the permit. At one time the FAA issued permit to fly Elvis's Convair from FLL to MEM was posted in the plane. As I recall, it was gear down, below 10K feet, airspeed limit, etc. The plane was in really bad shape! This plane is obviously in excellent shape .. except for ..

Jim

As Azores is part of EU (Portugese autonomous territory), they are covered by EASA regulations. I'd expect that both EASA and FAA will need to authorize such a ferry permit (as well as any other potential third party authority affected by overflight).

Having said that, I'm not sure if there is a reciprocal agreement between FAA and EASA on accepting each other Flight Ops standards. If so, then only the FAA would require to authorize such event (as state of registry), with possible notification of EASA and/or local aviation authority (Portugese) of the event.
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

BravoOne

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:07 pm

Since the airplane is N registered, I would think that the FAA would be the issuing authority.

airtechy

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:47 pm

Any news/pics on repairs?

Jim

BravoOne

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:44 pm

I would imagine that regardless of prep for for ferry status, they would be waiting out the hurricane to see what's left of the MRO facility. I also heard the it might be heading back to ATL as opposed to the other facility?

fwncrcnwdl

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Retired after 47 years of scheduled carrier service.

lightsaber

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:05 pm

zeke wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
The cost of scrapping and parting out will not be cheap in the Azores - this is likely to make the case for a repair more compelling.

A good crew of mechanics would be able to remove the best parts of it in a week or two. Doors, avionics, actuators, engines, apu. They can be loaded into shipping containers.

An excavator and truck could dispose of the aircraft into landfill in a day. Sometimes they are donated as airport fire fighting training tools.

I calculate $300,000 to fly in a crew and equipment, their hotels, excavator rental with operators and disposal fee, transportation, and crew meals to recover $5 million+ of hardware (engines, avionics, gear, APU, and lots of stuff. Is it worth saving the seats? If so add another $100k incl transportation and all the Dunnage.).

If some skin reinforcement of the aircraft doesn't allow a one time flight to a scrapyard.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

jumbojet

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:19 pm

lightsaber wrote:
zeke wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
The cost of scrapping and parting out will not be cheap in the Azores - this is likely to make the case for a repair more compelling.

A good crew of mechanics would be able to remove the best parts of it in a week or two. Doors, avionics, actuators, engines, apu. They can be loaded into shipping containers.

An excavator and truck could dispose of the aircraft into landfill in a day. Sometimes they are donated as airport fire fighting training tools.

I calculate $300,000 to fly in a crew and equipment, their hotels, excavator rental with operators and disposal fee, transportation, and crew meals to recover $5 million+ of hardware (engines, avionics, gear, APU, and lots of stuff. Is it worth saving the seats? If so add another $100k incl transportation and all the Dunnage.).

If some skin reinforcement of the aircraft doesn't allow a one time flight to a scrapyard.

Lightsaber

If they went the route of scrapping it but they are going to repair it.

fwncrcnwdl

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:32 pm

lightsaber wrote:
zeke wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:

Lightsaber

Delta scheduled a ferry flight for tomorrow 16 September 2019 for N543US see https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n543us PDL - ATL. Why do that if it was going to be scrapped?

lightsaber

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:43 pm

fwncrcnwdl wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
zeke wrote:

Lightsaber

Delta scheduled a ferry flight for tomorrow 16 September 2019 for N543US see https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n543us PDL - ATL. Why do that if it was going to be scrapped?

Nyet. Now to place bets on a repair. Obviously the maintenance team should do an estimate.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

NWAROOSTER

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:20 pm

This aircraft obviously has insurance on it less a deductible.. It is possible that insurance company has an input into whether the aircraft is repaired or scrapped. I am sure that they determined that the aircraft is repairable as I am sure they had the aircraft inspected by an authorized source who determined that the cost of repair is less than what they would need to pay Delta less any monies they would receive for the usable parts. Delta would most likely be one of a few buyers for any parts removed. The insurance company would then be also responsible for removal of the aircraft or it's hulk from the Azores. This would be no cheap endeavor. I will use the following as an example. I had a car that should of been totaled. The insurance insisted on repairing it as the cost to do so would be $500 less. I even offered to accept $500 less and they refused. It took six weeks to repair the car and I then traded it in on another car as I did not want it. :old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

BravoOne

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:32 pm

Not sure how you would factor in a hull loss in the big picture, but I'm sure it would have a negative impact on various future costs for DL. I would imagine that DL is self insured so the simple hull loss not with standing insurance coverage for injuries could be minimal.

wjcandee

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:26 am

My info was that DL sent a team to inspect it shortly after this all happened, and the determination was made to make it ferryable and fly it to ATL for repairs. The photos I saw certainly don't look as bad as the photos of the 767-300 that Atlas bent in PSM, which, as noted earlier in the thread, was flown to Flightstar, fixed there, and returned to service.

Delta can't be entirely self-insured. More likely they have stop-loss coverage above a certain amount, similar to having a big deductible on your car's coverage.

T4thH

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:56 pm

And the 22 years old LH A319, which was hit last month by the stairs car in the AIP back, will never again leave the Frankfurt airport, it will be parted out and scrapped in Frankfurt (and putative parked next to the LH A340, damaged at the front by the fire).

And it is likely, the much heavier damaged B757 will be repaired (OK, we do not know, how heavily the A319 has been damaged).
Last edited by T4thH on Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BravoOne

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:46 pm

T4thH wrote:
And the 22 years old LH A319, which was hit last month by the stairs car in the AIP back, will never again leave the Frankfurt airport, it will be parted out and scrapped in Frankfurt (and putative parked next to the LH A340, damaged at the front by the fire).

And it is likely, the much heavier damaged B757 will be repaired (OK, we do not know, how heavily the A319 has been damaged).

Just reading an MRO/Scrapping news letter and the comments were directed at the extremely low values associated with the short body airliners when evaluating scrap content. Specifically mention the 319 as being pretty much worthless, even low time airframes.

Oilman

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:08 pm

How do the pilots, mechanics, etc clear US customs on this flight? Will it use a gate on concourse E or F? If the plane goes straight to parking area, do they all go by bus?

RyanVHS

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:46 pm

Oilman wrote:
How do the pilots, mechanics, etc clear US customs on this flight? Will it use a gate on concourse E or F? If the plane goes straight to parking area, do they all go by bus?

They’ll park at E or F and go through customs. Right now, it is slated to park at E15.

litz

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:42 pm

For anyone worried about pressurization, it's currently at 28,000 feet, heading up to 38,000.

Scheduled arrival is 9:23pm ATL time.

airtechy

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:55 pm

Looks like they did a pretty complete repair. Maybe all that is remaining is cosmetics.

Jim

BravoOne

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:43 pm

T4thH wrote:
AngelsDecay wrote:
Could this become a written off..!?
Looks a Lil bit nasty...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/acores. ... 386448162/

Regular it can be repaired, but it is really expensive and the bird will be for long time in the repair shop.

As this is a B757-251 according link, it iwill become a written of. It will be just phased out a little bit earlier.
Does someone know, how old it is, the production number?

EDIT: and most worse, the accident has occurred on the Azores, on an island n the middle of the Atlantic ocean with a real special airport. How they will get it back from there? They will have to part it out locally.

So much for your assessment of aircraft repairs.

lightsaber

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:23 pm

litz wrote:
For anyone worried about pressurization, it's currently at 28,000 feet, heading up to 38,000.

Well, I need a serving of crow...

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

NWAROOSTER

Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:09 am

litz wrote:

It may be possible the aircraft had no skin breaks or anything compromising the basic integrity of the aircraft. The nose landing gear may have needed some serious attention or replacement before they did the ferry flight. Also a gear swing would have been necessary before the ferry flight. This aircraft will have a few more years of service before it is retired. :old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

EA CO AS

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:33 am

lightsaber wrote:
litz wrote:

Well, I need a serving of crow...

Lightsaber

Pass it down after you take your helping; I'll need mine as well. Thought for sure she'd be a write-off, but I'm glad I was wrong!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

777Mech

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:36 am

NWAROOSTER wrote:
litz wrote:

It may be possible the aircraft had no skin breaks or anything compromising the basic integrity of the aircraft. The nose landing gear may have needed some serious attention or replacement before they did the ferry flight. Also a gear swing would have been necessary before the ferry flight. This aircraft will have a few more years of service before it is retired. :old:

Like I said up thread. It was due for a heavy check, and the funding was already provided, so that probably helped make the decision to repair it.

bennett123

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:43 am

Not sure if I see this point.

If the decision had been to scrap the plane then wouldn’t those funds be available for other purposes?.

kelval

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:11 am

Yes, but from what I understand here, the due heavy check will greatly reduce the cost of the repairs. This makes the whole thing viable.

ltbewr

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:20 am

Fortunately the basic structure of this plane is ok so can do a ferry flight, that is a good sign.

I wonder, if a plane has major damage like here and repaired, is there special & more frequent attention given to the repaired and adjacent area for the rest of its life ?

I also wonder about the investigation of the incident as to the pilots actions or if any non-pilot issues that were factors in it. As others noted previously, this model does have some quirks that sometimes makes it more likely to have a nose-heavy landing. I wonder if there should be adjustments made in pilot training to reduce that risk.

MIflyer12

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:09 am

bennett123 wrote:
Not sure if I see this point.

If the decision had been to scrap the plane then wouldn’t those funds be available for other purposes?.

They had already decided it was worth a heavy check so the relevant figure is the incremental cost of repair. What's the cost of a 757 heavy check? ($3 million?) Is this frame worth another $0.5 million? They think so.

BravoOne

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:28 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Fortunately the basic structure of this plane is ok so can do a ferry flight, that is a good sign.

I wonder, if a plane has major damage like here and repaired, is there special & more frequent attention given to the repaired and adjacent area for the rest of its life ?

I also wonder about the investigation of the incident as to the pilots actions or if any non-pilot issues that were factors in it. As others noted previously, this model does have some quirks that sometimes makes it more likely to have a nose-heavy landing. I wonder if there should be adjustments made in pilot training to reduce that risk.

These type of flight characteristics would normally be covered during the Initial Operating phase of a new pilots checkout. Nothing really new to add after all of these years of service. I'm confident that the Instructors and Line Check Pilots at Delta will be reminded to cover these issues.

fwncrcnwdl

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:44 pm

It ferried to VQQ on October 13th. this also in the news
https://portuguese-american-journal.com ... 20-azores/

jumbojet

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:54 pm

fwncrcnwdl wrote:

why?

plane never flew above 9,000 feet.

B757Forever

Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:28 pm

jumbojet wrote:
fwncrcnwdl wrote:

why?

VQQ is where Flightstar is located. They are performing the heavy check on the aircraft.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

barney captain

Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:35 pm

jumbojet wrote:
fwncrcnwdl wrote:

why?

Good question, why at 9000ft? Maybe the repair in the Azores wasn't as successful as initially thought.
Southeast Of Disorder

Spacepope

Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:39 pm

barney captain wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
fwncrcnwdl wrote:

why?

Good question, why at 9000ft? Maybe the repair in the Azores wasn't as successful as initially thought.

Did anyone actually think the repairs just to get it flightworthy in the azures was anything more than temporary repairs?
The last of the famous international playboys

barney captain

Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:48 pm

Spacepope wrote:
barney captain wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

why?

Did anyone actually think the repairs just to get it flightworthy in the azures was anything more than temporary repairs?

No. But that doesn't answer the altitude question. They flew at FL380 from the Azores.
Southeast Of Disorder

747classic

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:17 am

N543US seems to have been fully repaired and is active again since December 01th 2019.
See : https://twitter.com/mleibner/status/1201221085867528200
And : https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n543us
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

zeke

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:24 am

747classic wrote:
N543US seems to have been fully repaired and is active again since December 01th 2019.

Didn’t think that would happen from the damage sustained. Good work all round to achieve that.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

dampfnudel

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:50 am

747classic wrote:

Good to see it back in service. Some other aircraft would’ve probably been written off, but the 757 remains a valuable narrow-body TATL option for US carriers on certain routes.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

747classic

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:09 am

In this thread still missing, a picture of the temporally repairs, before the ferry flight from Ponta Delgada toward Atlanta at September 16th 2019.
See : https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N54 ... /LPPD/KATL

See : https://www.airliners.net/photo/Delta-A ... /5681255/L

Any pictures from the actual repair at VQQ and/or recent action pictures of the fully repaired N543US ?
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

Dalmd88

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:18 pm

"Any pictures from the actual repair at VQQ and/or recent action pictures of the fully repaired N543US ?"

There are no pictures to be had from final repair work at VQQ. All the work was done by DL. The crew went to PPD and repaired 18 stringers across the top of the plane. They cut a three foot wide section of skin out and did a temp repair to ferry back to ATL. Once it got to ATL they then removed the temp skin repair and did the permanent skin repair. After that was done the plane ferry flighted to VQQ for the H check.

smartplane

Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:59 pm

zeke wrote:
747classic wrote:

Didn’t think that would happen from the damage sustained. Good work all round to achieve that.

Perhaps the MAX grounding has a silver lining?

747classic

Tue May 12, 2020 8:54 am

The final report has been released by Portugal's GPIAA, see PDF file : http://www.gpiaa.gov.pt/wwwbase/wwwincl ... ebSiteMenu

STT757

Tue May 12, 2020 2:28 pm

Will this aircraft be retired now?
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Dalmd88

Tue May 12, 2020 3:25 pm

STT757 wrote:

I highly doubt it will be retired soon. It just came out of H check. It may be temp parked currently. Candidates for retirement are aircraft that are due a major check in the near future.

747classic

Wed May 13, 2020 3:56 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
STT757 wrote:

I highly doubt it will be retired soon. It just came out of H check. It may be temp parked currently. Candidates for retirement are aircraft that are due a major check in the near future.
STT757 wrote:

N543US is currently out of service due the corona crises and parked (stored) at San Bernadino (SBD). Of the Delta 757-200 fleet of 111 aircraft, presently only 26 are active, 85 are parked (stored), most at Victorville (VCV). Seen the last HMV, only three months ago, this aircraft will return in service.

ltbewr

Wed May 13, 2020 4:29 pm

747classic wrote:
The final report has been released by Portugal's GPIAA, see PDF file : http://www.gpiaa.gov.pt/wwwbase/wwwincl ... ebSiteMenu

From the report, it appears the PIC over-corrected due to variances in the wind speed and direction just as landing, pushed the nose down too hard, the NLG apparently bottomed out and stressed the plane causing it to bend. Seems similar to the WN 737 that had the hard nose landing at LGA a few years ago.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos