x1234
Topic Author

Rumors of American Airlines 2nd announcement coming soon (HND + AUS/NZ)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:20 pm

JonNYC tweeted the following today:
https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1163470747064504320

"Rumors circulating that the S.Pacific and HND realignment (whatever that may entail) stuff could be coming out very soon."

Any guesses on what changes will entail? I hope its this week!

Delta28L

Re: Rumors of American Airlines 2nd announcement coming soon (HND + AUS/NZ)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:35 pm

x1234 wrote:
JonNYC tweeted the following today:
https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1163470747064504320

"Rumors circulating that the S.Pacific and HND realignment (whatever that may entail) stuff could be coming out very soon."

Any guesses on what changes will entail? I hope its this week!

HND must be the official schedule of the new routes they obtained in the last round of bidding for HND slots. South Pacific is for the JV with Qantas since Qantas already announced their new routes. Hopefully a few routes out of Dallas would be nice.

MAH4546

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:36 pm

Los Angeles-Melbourne and Dallas-Auckland.
a.

B747forever

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:04 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Los Angeles-Melbourne and Dallas-Auckland.

LAX-AKL back to year round?
Work Hard, Fly Right

x1234
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:10 pm

LAX-AKL has lots of competition with ANZ. AKL-DFW makes sense in that it allows QF to use AKL has a mini hub for flights from BNE, SYD & MEL connecting onto the AA DFW flight as the SYD-DFW flight is always packed and is weight restricted west-bound. Melbourne is the 2nd most populated city in Australasia (5 million+), home of some Australian global multi-nationals and could always use more capacity. Too bad there's no DFW-BNE.

DFW17L

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:16 pm

DFW-HND. 25 notable Japan-based companies in DFW area, with a total of 164 (source: Dallas Business Journal, May 6, 2016).

Eirules

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:01 pm

Any chance of ORD-SYD on the QF JV? NZ have already jumped onto ORD-AKL
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

Sightseer

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:07 pm

Eirules wrote:

Unlikely, IMO, since QF has already announced BNE-ORD.
Last edited by Sightseer on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ishrion

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Eirules wrote:

Probably not... range is most likely why QF favored BNE-ORD rather than SYD-ORD. SYD-ORD is 9,232 mi while PER-LHR is 9,009 mi and SIN-EWR is 9,534 mi.

x1234
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:22 pm

There are severe head-winds flying west/south-bound TPAC to AUS/NZ/East Asia that need to take into account. That's why they launched ORD-BNE instead of ORD-SYD.

RainerBoeing777

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:35 pm

LAX-MEL/BNE and DFW-AKL
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG

sagechan

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:43 pm

My guesses
LAX-MEL (year round, non daily NS)
LAX-CHC (NW Seasonal)
LAX-AKL (back to year round)
DFW-AKL (NW seasonal)

Japan
HND-LAX/DFW (as awarded)
1 DFW-NRT cancelled
ORD-NRT Cancelled

Slight chance (dont think they will be announced this time though)
DFW-KIX or NGO
LAX-ICN
717, 733, 734, 738, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA

Sydscott

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:44 pm

Qantas announces their full year financial results on the 22nd of August so I'd say any announcement by AA would be made at the same time as QF does that. So that's Thursday Sydney time or Wednesday in the US.

MIflyer12

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:27 pm

x1234 wrote:
LAX-AKL has lots of competition with ANZ.

How is one carrier with 64 planes and the only carrier on LAX-AKL 14x weekly 'lots of competition'?

gregn21

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:57 pm

Don't expect any significant LAX expansion outside of maybe MEL and AKL year round. Vasu Raja of AA made it clear they will wait to add long haul capacity from LAX until they get access to more gates at TBIT.

jplatts

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:02 am

sagechan wrote:
Slight chance (dont think they will be announced this time though)
DFW-KIX or NGO

While I agree that AA will probably not announce DFW-KIX or DFW-NGO in this announcement, AA adding DFW-KIX and DFW-NGO are possibilities as Osaka-based Kubota has its North American headquarters in Grapevine and Toyota (whose world headquarters are located in Toyota City near Nagoya) has its North American headquarters in Plano.

SCFlyer

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:10 am

LAX-MEL (seasonal daily NW, less than daily NS)
LAX-AKL year round (against NZ/UA).

gregn21

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:29 am

jplatts wrote:
While I agree that AA will probably not announce DFW-KIX or DFW-NGO in this announcement, AA adding DFW-KIX and DFW-NGO are possibilities as Osaka-based Kubota has its North American headquarters in Grapevine and Toyota (whose world headquarters are located in Toyota City near Nagoya) has its North American headquarters in Plano.

Toyota's North American HQ was just recently moved from Torrance in the LA area to Plano. Even LAX never supported a nonstop to NGO.

Cointrin330

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:36 am

LAX-MEL which will sub one of the QF flights on this route, to free up a 787-9 for QF to operate BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD and LAX-AKL goes year round, with Northern Hemisphere summer less than daily. I don't see AKL-DFW on AA metal, sorry though it's not out of the realm, because DFW is AA's biggest hub. LAX-BNE 3-4 times a week also a possibility, since QF flies it a bit more than daily and has less capacity having shifted last year from a 744 to a 789.

FSDan

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:39 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
LAX-MEL which will sub one of the QF flights on this route, to free up a 787-9 for QF to operate BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD and LAX-AKL goes year round, with Northern Hemisphere summer less than daily. I don't see AKL-DFW on AA metal, sorry though it's not out of the realm, because DFW is AA's biggest hub. LAX-BNE 3-4 times a week also a possibility, since QF flies it a bit more than daily and has less capacity having shifted last year from a 744 to a 789.

I agree. LAX-MEL makes sense and I could see DFW-AKL or LAX-CHC as a potential seasonal route.

I don't think AA-QF needs to backfill any BNE-LAX capacity as BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD will undoubtedly be carrying many passengers who currently have to transfer at LAX.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

LAXdude1023

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:48 am

gregn21 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Toyota's North American HQ was just recently moved from Torrance in the LA area to Plano. Even LAX never supported a nonstop to NGO.

Yup. While DFW's O&D to Tokyo has grown since 2011, its not dramatic. It went from 60 PDEW to 74 PDEW. DFW-KIX/NGO are far smaller than that Toyota notwithstanding.

DFW is very well served to Asia. I dont see how there is possibly room for more to the Far East.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

Cointrin330

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:13 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
gregn21 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Yup. While DFW's O&D to Tokyo has grown since 2011, its not dramatic. It went from 60 PDEW to 74 PDEW. DFW-KIX/NGO are far smaller than that Toyota notwithstanding.

DFW is very well served to Asia. I dont see how there is possibly room for more to the Far East.

Didn't AA operate (briefly) or announce, but never launched, DFW-KIX a while back (like in the mid-1990s)?

SCFlyer

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:17 am

Cointrin330 wrote:

The BNE-ORD/SFO flight are to come from the frames currently operating QF 55/56 BNE-LAX (which will be cancelled once ORD and SFO come online) and BNE-SYD/HKG (replaced with A330s). So the QF 789 frame(s) from LAX-MEL doesn't necessarily need to be transferred to BNE.

As stated by others, there's no need to backfill BNE-LAX capacity (on either AA or QF). The BNE-LAX route has been right-sized with some of the passengers being moved to the upcoming QF ORD and SFO flights to connect to the AA and AS hubs respectively.

remymartin11

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:27 am

PHX-NRT

hoons90

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:35 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
Didn't AA operate (briefly) or announce, but never launched, DFW-KIX a while back (like in the mid-1990s)?

AA flew DFW-KIX from December 1998 to January 2002, and again from November 2005 to October 2006.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

BA744PHX

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:54 am

remymartin11 wrote:
PHX-NRT

Unfortunately Raja has already stated PHX-Asia is not likely at this time, subject to change in the future
UA Gold 2019, DL Silver 2019
Upcoming flights
UA EWR-EZE-EWR, EWR-YYZ-EWR, EWR-PHX-EWR, EWR-NRT-EWR
NH NRT-BKK-NRT
TG BKK-HKT-BKK

chepos

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:11 am

x1234 wrote:
LAX-AKL has lots of competition with ANZ. AKL-DFW makes sense in that it allows QF to use AKL has a mini hub for flights from BNE, SYD & MEL connecting onto the AA DFW flight as the SYD-DFW flight is always packed and is weight restricted west-bound. Melbourne is the 2nd most populated city in Australasia (5 million+), home of some Australian global multi-nationals and could always use more capacity. Too bad there's no DFW-BNE.

I’m pretty certain LAX-AKL is going back to year round, the question is whether they get an additional seasonal flight from DFW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

ZK-NBT

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:50 am

DFW-AKL when QF go 789 On SYD-DFW? In that case AKl-DFW might even be year round? Anyone ex MEL/BNE routed through AKL. Maybe DFW/LAX-AKL both year round 4-5 weekly in NW?

Sydscott

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:46 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

The BNE-ORD/SFO flight are to come from the frames currently operating QF 55/56 BNE-LAX (which will be cancelled once ORD and SFO come online) and BNE-SYD/HKG (replaced with A330s). So the QF 789 frame(s) from LAX-MEL doesn't necessarily need to be transferred to BNE.

As stated by others, there's no need to backfill BNE-LAX capacity (on either AA or QF). The BNE-LAX route has been right-sized with some of the passengers being moved to the upcoming QF ORD and SFO flights to connect to the AA and AS hubs respectively.

QF 55/56 operates 3 x per week while the 787 Hong Kong services only take up 1 frame. So you effectively release 2 frames by doing what you've suggested which is probably enough to operate ORD and SFO but doesn't leave much room for delays etc in the schedule.

If AA were to start on MEL-LAX it also begs the question of what QF would do with the 787 operating MEL-LAX twice per week. As we know MEL-LAX is part of the LHR-PER-MEL-LAX/SFO routing so it's not like that 787 can go far from MEL and keep to the operating pattern required of it. So what I'd suggest will happen is that once the last batch of 787's start to arrive that aircraft will be rotated on MEL-SYD to provide additional lift out of SYD with another aircraft rotated down for MEL-PER-LHR. That to me makes the most logical sense.

smi0006

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:32 am

Some great suggestions. Hope we also see some MEL-DFW services; mostly likely on QF, as don’t AA have some issues with pilot contracts and configuration ranges?

I think this will be first round of capacity, second round will come when QF receive more 789s.

Be great to see LAX-MEL on AA, CHC is an interesting one! Maybe. Is DFW-AKL allowable with the current AA pilot contracts, and their dense 789 ranger?

QF742

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:03 am

Sydscott wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

QF 55/56 operates 3 x per week while the 787 Hong Kong services only take up 1 frame. So you effectively release 2 frames by doing what you've suggested which is probably enough to operate ORD and SFO but doesn't leave much room for delays etc in the schedule.

If AA were to start on MEL-LAX it also begs the question of what QF would do with the 787 operating MEL-LAX twice per week. As we know MEL-LAX is part of the LHR-PER-MEL-LAX/SFO routing so it's not like that 787 can go far from MEL and keep to the operating pattern required of it. So what I'd suggest will happen is that once the last batch of 787's start to arrive that aircraft will be rotated on MEL-SYD to provide additional lift out of SYD with another aircraft rotated down for MEL-PER-LHR. That to me makes the most logical sense.

QF very rarely reposition international aircraft in the domestic network. I think the 2 weekly LAX flights will either go to increase MEL-SFO, be deployed elsewhere ad hoc (eg MEL-HKG) or be used to allow for downtime/maintenance.

QF742

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:08 am

smi0006 wrote:
Some great suggestions. Hope we also see some MEL-DFW services; mostly likely on QF, as don’t AA have some issues with pilot contracts and configuration ranges?

I think this will be first round of capacity, second round will come when QF receive more 789s.

Be great to see LAX-MEL on AA, CHC is an interesting one! Maybe. Is DFW-AKL allowable with the current AA pilot contracts, and their dense 789 ranger?

Would be great to have MEL-DFW but neither AA or QF have the aircraft to operate it. We will have to wait until project sunrise.

Best outcome for MEL re the new AA routes will look like this:
QF daily A380 to LAX
QF 6 weekly 789 to SFO
AA seasonal daily to LAX (reducing to less than daily in off season)

If QF can have 2 daily flights out of BNE I think they could easily do 20 weekly ex MEL. By comparison, SYD will have 27 weekly flights (is DFW still 6 weekly?).

vhtje

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:30 am

QF742 wrote:

I get confused as to what is "off season" when crossing the equator. Would this be the northern winter or the southern winter? I would expect June/July the flights to be favoured by Australians heading to the northern summer, whereas December/January favours Americans heading south?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

ZK-NBT

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:11 am

vhtje wrote:
QF742 wrote:

I get confused as to what is "off season" when crossing the equator. Would this be the northern winter or the southern winter? I would expect June/July the flights to be favoured by Australians heading to the northern summer, whereas December/January favours Americans heading south?

Off season down under is NS so July August.

planemanofnz

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:24 am

What about NYC - AKL? A QF 789, or an AA 77W or 789? Even if it had to be payload restricted, could the yield make up for it? NZ/UA beat QF/AA to ORD - now QF/AA may want pay-back against NZ/UA on the non-stop front at NYC.

Cheers,

C.

ZK-NBT

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:27 am

planemanofnz wrote:
What about NYC - AKL? A QF 789, or an AA 77W or 789? Even if it had to be payload restricted, could the yield make up for it? NZ/UA beat QF/AA to ORD - now QF/AA may want pay-back against NZ/UA on the non-stop front at NYC.

Cheers,

C.

Only a QF 789 has any chance there and they have very few and would be very unlikely to use them NYC-AKL.

I doubt there is any payback

planemanofnz

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:37 am

chepos wrote:
I’m pretty certain LAX-AKL is going back to year round

Perhaps, but New Zealand is a very seasonal market. Would they make more money doing 3x weekly LAX - AKL NS, or a 3x weekly LAX - CHC NW service? The advantage with double-downing on the NW-front is that there would probably be more spare frames then (in the NS, I presume the frames would be tied up with seasonal additional capacity in the US-EU market, with NS their peak season).

ZK-NBT wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Only a QF 789 has any chance there and they have very few and would be very unlikely to use them NYC-AKL.

I doubt there is any payback

There are numerous examples of QF doing payback against NZ, like launching JQ to regional New Zealand in the midst of then-partner VA taking on QF aggressively in the domestic Australian market (Luxon said it was payback himself). Although not the most likely scenario, I wouldn't rule it out.

QF could replace a LAX stop for its JFK flight with an AKL one. AKL - like LAX - gets feed from BNE, SYD and MEL. But moving the stop to AKL means: a) QF frees up capacity on its LAX flights (which has the biggest O&D traffic for AU-US in its own right), plus AKL traffic, and maybe PER too.

Cheers,

C.

AA100

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:02 am

This absolutely wont be part of this announcement, but would AA ever consider a 789 ORD-HKG? Seems like HKG is one of the more profitable APAC cities. 789 might be a good right size aircraft to fly and bring an Asian flight back to ORD?

Ishrion

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:45 am

AA100 wrote:
This absolutely wont be part of this announcement, but would AA ever consider a 789 ORD-HKG? Seems like HKG is one of the more profitable APAC cities. 789 might be a good right size aircraft to fly and bring an Asian flight back to ORD?

From the Tell Me Why Vasu Raja says they’re moving away from ORD-Asia and focusing on Europe. Not saying it’s impossible, just less likely.

chepos

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:20 pm

smi0006 wrote:

Yes, DFW-AKL would be doable with the AA 789. DFW-MEL would require a QF 789.

Fly the Flag!!!!

EvanWSFO

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:37 pm

planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Seems highly unlikely. If anyone is going to fly NYC-AKL, it would be NZ.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

chepos

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:50 pm

I am not understanding the insistence of an AKL-NYC route. Not a route AA would even consider and I am not sure why NZ needs to rush into this route. Connections to NYC from AKL are easier than ever. via ORD, IAH, LAX and SFO. AKL-NYC seems more of a prestige route rather than a necessary route.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Cointrin330

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:27 pm

planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Not gonna happen. There is nothing for AA/QF to "get back at" UA/NZ. Yes, NZ launched AKL-ORD, but ORD isn't quite the global gateway for AA and neither is JFK. A long, thin route to AKL from the US depends on feed and AA can't provide it at JFK. AA won't be putting a 77W on a JFK-AKL route (or any AKL route for that matter) either.

PHLCVGAMTK

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:51 am

Given the previous statements about service under the JV, and the simple internal logic for AA, I would expect a lot more new northern-winter-seasonal routes than year-round. Take all those 787s running Europe summer-seasonal flights, and instead of turning them into essentially domestic heavy-haulers/freighters, spam as many as you can out of LAX and DFW into AU/NZ. Remember that the JV's flying only has to be balanced over the course of the entire year, so if QF metal does most of the summer (i.e. year-round) flying, and AA metal has a majority of the winter flying, they're in the clear with the crews.

I'd even say that seasonal PHX-SYD or LAS-SYD is much more logical than PHX-NRT, although I wouldn't say that any of them were very likely.

Sydscott

Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:22 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Not gonna happen. There is nothing for AA/QF to "get back at" UA/NZ. Yes, NZ launched AKL-ORD, but ORD isn't quite the global gateway for AA and neither is JFK. A long, thin route to AKL from the US depends on feed and AA can't provide it at JFK. AA won't be putting a 77W on a JFK-AKL route (or any AKL route for that matter) either.

Project Sunrise will eventually find a plane to do SYD-JFK non-stop anyway. So there isn't a question of QF, or AA, needing to respond now because eventually QF will be able to make up its slight geographic disadvantage to NZ in terms of the Americas by getting an airplane that will allow it to fly virtually wherever it needs to non-stop.

x1234
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:02 am

Last years mega announcement was today last year. I have my fingers crossed!

Ishrion

Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:57 am

x1234 wrote:
Last years mega announcement was today last year. I have my fingers crossed!

It’s Wednesday. Strong chance - if anything - it’ll be tomorrow.

aa1818

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:19 pm

So I guess no announcement today.
QF's earnings call didn't feature the new US/ Oceania flights.
UA's announcement probably caused AA to push back it's planned announcement?

Cheers,
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

chepos

Rumors of American Airlines 2nd announcement coming soon (HND + AUS/NZ)

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:31 pm

Where are people getting that an announcement was today? The tweet stated rumors were circling of an announcement very soon, soon can mean many things not necessarily this week. Most of these potential routes are not starting in summer 2020, but potentially late fall/winter 20/21 (at least Oceania). Vasu mentioned before the end of the year, so not sure why the expectation was on an announcement this week.

Fly the Flag!!!!

aa1818

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:26 pm

chepos wrote:
Where are people getting that an announcement was today? The tweet stated rumors were circling of an announcement very soon, soon can mean many things not necessarily this week. Most of these potential routes are not starting in summer 2020, but potentially late fall/winter 20/21 (at least Oceania). Vasu mentioned before the end of the year, so not sure why the expectation was on an announcement this week.

Don't get your knickers in a twist- it was speculation because:
- The AA announcement was expected to include some Oceania flights, QF annoucing results today may have fueled speculation of an announcement at the same time.
- One year ago to the day, there was a large announcement of routes, so speculation was fueled further with the QF JV announcement.

Since it's merely speculation, no need to get worked up.
No announcement yesterday or today...so we'll continue to speculate on the content of the announcement and the timing of the announcement as everyone does on A.Net.

Cheers,
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos