LAX772LR
Topic Author

Delta: no involuntary bumps in last two quarters

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:18 am

Interesting write-up, though seems to be written in a somewhat deceptive manner.
https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/delta-ai ... a-lot.html

It's however the root of the claim that I find most interesting:
DL has had only three IDBs for all of 2019, and none in the last two quarters.

The source for their claim:
https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... 9-atcr.pdf

While that's nothing compared to airlines who, say, don't overbook... it's insanely good compared to other global network carriers who do.

The comparisons to AA and WN are however flawed, seeing as they count MAX reaccommodations as IBDs; which would be an anomaly by any stretch of the imagination.

This article also acts as though airlines giving compensation for IBDs is done out of the kindness of their being, as opposed to a legal obligation.

But again, focusing on the core of such a small number of IBDs: that's a rate of only one every 75ish days. For an airline with thousands of daily flights. Incredible! :eek:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

kimimm19

Re: Delta: no involuntary bumps in last two quarters

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:38 am

So basically they are benefitting from passengers rather obtaining compensation than wanting to get to their destination at the booked time... :scratchchin:

ericm2031

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:44 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Interesting write-up, though seems to be written in a somewhat deceptive manner.

While that's nothing compared to airlines who, say, don't overbook... it's insanely good compared to other global network carriers who do.

The comparisons to AA and WN are however flawed, seeing as they count MAX reaccommodations as IBDs; which would be an anomaly by any stretch of the imagination.

This article also acts as though airlines giving compensation for IBDs is done out of the kindness of their being, as opposed to a legal obligation.

But again, focusing on the core of such a small number of IBDs: that's a rate of only one every 75ish days. For an airline with thousands of daily flights. Incredible! :eek:

I'm not sure if you meant it this way, but when WN and AA downgrade a MAX to something smaller than a MAX, that may result in an IDB if it is smaller gauge...that would be how it is reported in any type of aircraft swap regardless of the MAX situation (i.e. -900 downgraded to a -800). Reaccoms due to non-operating/cancelled flights due to the MAX are not being considered IDBs...unless I'm missing something...

alasizon

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:58 am

Not sure I see how this is possible for DL still unless they are just going bonkers with the compensation levels. With record load factors, you are going to run into more situations where people don't want to volunteer.

The other thing with AA is there were a few markets earlier this year that were denying 50+ people a week due to WX issues and performance into those airports and given DL flies into many of those same markets; I don't see how they avoid these unless they are paying big chasing that title of zero IDB.

For both WN and AA, a lot of ex-MAX flights were covered by 73Gs and 319s which is a loss of seating capacity. At AA, even a regular 738 is a capacity change.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

umichman

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:38 am

ericm2031 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I'm not sure if you meant it this way, but when WN and AA downgrade a MAX to something smaller than a MAX, that may result in an IDB if it is smaller gauge...that would be how it is reported in any type of aircraft swap regardless of the MAX situation (i.e. -900 downgraded to a -800). Reaccoms due to non-operating/cancelled flights due to the MAX are not being considered IDBs...unless I'm missing something...

WN would have way more than 2500 IDB's if they counted every passenger reaccommodated due to MAX groundings as an IDB. It's seems that the author of the article was simply speculating on the MAX grounding being a source of IDB's without knowing any actual details. A change of aircraft guage for operational needs does not count as an IDB situation. It's possible some flights were too heavily overbooked as a result of the MAX groundings and people where IDB'd where there was no change in guage, but that would simply be speculation.

Polot

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:52 am

ericm2031 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

That does not necessary mean IDBs. If you find enough volunteers to take another flight after changing to a smaller gauge then you have no IDBs. It is a situation that happens on all airlines, MAX or no MAX.

MIflyer12

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:03 am

alasizon wrote:
Not sure I see how this is possible for DL still unless they are just going bonkers with the compensation levels. With record load factors, you are going to run into more situations where people don't want to volunteer.

If you go into the DOT data - and why wouldn't you? - you'll see DL's VDB thru the roof. They were last year, too. See pdf page 42. https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... evised.pdf

Are you claiming DL has falsified data in its reports to the DOT?

alasizon

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:39 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

If you go into the DOT data - and why wouldn't you? - you'll see DL's VDB thru the roof. They were last year, too. See pdf page 42. https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... evised.pdf

I'm not so much doubting their numbers of zero IDB so much as I am that it is "realistic" and not inflated by them offering absurb compensation amounts just to get the stat. Those inflated numbers make it harder for every other airline to get to zero IDBs because they will expect DL levels of compensation.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

WayexTDI

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:51 pm

alasizon wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

I'm not so much doubting their numbers of zero IDB so much as I am that it is "realistic" and not inflated by them offering absurb compensation amounts just to get the stat. Those inflated numbers make it harder for every other airline to get to zero IDBs because they will expect DL levels of compensation.

But it doesn't matter. It's a business decision that DL has decided to make, and they pay for it; good PR for them, the pax are happy, it's a win-win.

Corpsnerd09

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:54 pm

Inc.com is so biased and sensationalist though, it's like the airline TMZ. They'll trash anyone for the read and likes.

flybaby

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:32 pm

I think this mostly has to do with the relatively clever system Delta uses in order to reduce forced bumps by asking passengers ahead of time (at check in, which is done individually and in private) how much they are willing to be compensated for being voluntarily bumped. That way, the computer can essentially perform a “silent auction” starting with the lowest bidder. That probably works much more in the airline’s favor than the results gained using the old-school desperate “public auction” style whereby gate agents are forced to announce ever-more enticing and increasing compensation offers over the PA at the gate to all the passengers.

dmstorm22

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:58 pm

flybaby wrote:
I think this mostly has to do with the relatively clever system Delta uses in order to reduce forced bumps by asking passengers ahead of time (at check in, which is done individually and in private) how much they are willing to be compensated for being voluntarily bumped. That way, the computer can essentially perform a “silent auction” starting with the lowest bidder. That probably works much more in the airline’s favor than the results gained using the old-school desperate “public auction” style whereby gate agents are forced to announce ever-more enticing and increasing compensation offers over the PA at the gate to all the passengers.

UA does the same thing when I check in online.

NWAESC

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:15 pm

flybaby wrote:
I think this mostly has to do with the relatively clever system Delta uses in order to reduce forced bumps by asking passengers ahead of time (at check in, which is done individually and in private) how much they are willing to be compensated for being voluntarily bumped.

I'm sure that's part of it, but I also think that the gift cards we use have a higher appeal than what they're actually worth (if that makes sense?). That you can take your compensation in the form of an AMEX or Amazon card I think helps.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

OzarkD9S

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:22 pm

kimimm19 wrote:

So basically they are benefitting from passengers rather obtaining compensation than wanting to get to their destination at the booked time... :scratchchin:

Hey, it works. I was asked by DL to take a later flight ATL-STL in March of this year so a couple of active duty military personnel could make my flight. I happily obliged and my $400 voucher allowed me to book a December flight to GCM (almost). Without the voucher (and a food allowance of $20 for an ATL restaurant) I probably wouldn't have done the Caymans in Dec. So, win-win. They got home to see their families and I got an extra vacation out of it so what's the problem?
TWA Hotel, Here I come. October, 2019 :airplane:

NWADTWE16

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:15 am

agree, the advanced system is the key here. Now if I could just figure out the right amount that nets me good dollar/credit versus what they will need, hrmmm

Oh, and people please stop volunteering for less than $250, that's rediculous
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

lightsaber

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:41 am

WayexTDI wrote:
alasizon wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

But it doesn't matter. It's a business decision that DL has decided to make, and they pay for it; good PR for them, the pax are happy, it's a win-win.

Claiming no IDB by paying too much for VDB? That is great customer service. Maybe not great business practice...

But their profits say there is a payback...

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

ccjohn

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:58 am

My old roommate came to town to visit last weekend. He flew delta and originally he wanted to leave Sunday but flights were almost twice as expensive as Saturday. So he booked his return flight on Saturday. He checked in online on Friday and the first thing that popped up was the VDB. It said if he was willing to change his flight from Saturday to Sunday he could put a bid in for what he wanted to be compensated. The choices were 450,550,650 or other. He ended up selecting other and putting in for 400. He showed up at the gate for his flight Saturday and they said he had been rebooked for Sunday and gave him a 400 travel voucher. He got to leave the day he originally wanted to and came out 400 ahead. Pretty good of delta to avoid IDB in my opinion. If they want to pay the price so they get some good PR let them have at it. The flight was ACK-DEN

NWADTWE16

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:34 am

I have never seen them give suggestions of how much? That greatly improves things. I like how he undercut by 50.00 but it was still well worth it. Smooth move

orcajet

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:14 am

Their offers can get truly bonkers in dire circumstances they were offering 5 figure Amex gift cards in JAC last winter during the Christmas peak, I would imagine EGE and other premium destinations can see similar numbers

NWADTWE16

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:22 am

if that's the case ill book myself in and out of JAC right now with the plan to bump

orcajet

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:36 am

NWADTWE16 wrote:
if that's the case ill book myself in and out of JAC right now with the plan to bump

JAC-ATL on Christmas Eve after a major snowstorm should do it

SocalApproach

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:13 am

I was in the gate area to fly DL to ATL the other day from SEA and witnessed the gate agent offering 200 dollars for someone to volunteer their seat on the flight to NRT. I couldnt help but laugh. Ive seen more offered on a flight from SFO-LAX

ericm2031

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:37 am

Considering WN is the most exposed to the MAX and doesn’t have interline agreements, I’m surprised they're that much below AA

BTV290

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:05 am

NWAESC wrote:
flybaby wrote:
I think this mostly has to do with the relatively clever system Delta uses in order to reduce forced bumps by asking passengers ahead of time (at check in, which is done individually and in private) how much they are willing to be compensated for being voluntarily bumped.

I'm sure that's part of it, but I also think that the gift cards we use have a higher appeal than what they're actually worth (if that makes sense?). That you can take your compensation in the form of an AMEX or Amazon card I think helps.

This. This is it. People LOVE the "cash value" of the gift cards over the old school Delta vouchers. What would have taken $1000 DL Dollars back in the day, can now be a $400 AMEX gift card, which Delta buys using the points from the DL-AE relationship. They come out at almost no loss, and the passengers are very happy. In any case, the DOT limits I-DBC compensation to $1350... So the trick here is, if you're staring down the barrel of getting IDB'ed for $1350 or an AMEX gift card for $2000, you're going to take the AMEX, whether it was truly voluntary or not...

jayunited

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:06 pm

WayexTDI wrote:

Your statement sums it up. DL executives understand in the US they are at the top, they have a reputation and the general public does not view DL through the same same lens as they do AA, UA, and WN. Everyone in this industry knows there will always be passengers bumped off flights its the nature of the beast. What DL has done is they have found a way to turn a negative into a positive. If DL wants to pay compensation so that their official IDB number is 0 more power to them.

While some people may think it isn't fair the truth is its very smart because it doesn't matter. If a passengers is classified as an IDB or VDB the airline still has to offer compensation (I understand the amount will vary but you're still paying compensation). Since you're going to end up paying out some level of compensation why shouldn't the airline be able to get a win out of it as well?

DL will get that win at the end of the year when all the numbers are released and CNN, FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS and every other media outlet her in the U.S. displays the headline DL had the lowest number of Involuntary Denied Boardings. Positive headlines like that and DL constantly ranking in the top 3 in on-time arrivals, and fewest number of cancelations (again a PR game we all have heard of DL's 20-24 hour delays to avoid a cancelation) pays for its self when customers choose DL over the competition. Shy of word of mouth which is the best advertising for an airline, having these positive headlines splashed all over the news a the end of the year gives DL an advantage that a TV commercial could never accomplish.

Nothing is stopping AA, WN, or UA from taking a page out of DL's playbook. In fact UA to a point is coping DL but the difference is the numbers show DL's firm commitment, UA's IDB numbers while better than they were a few years ago still are not close to DL's 0 IDB.

Its a PR game and DL is showing they fully understand the rules and they're mastering this game.
*As long as the other 3 airlines have these massive numbers of IDBs or keep canceling high numbers of flights no one cares or reports on the number VDB numbers or the high number of extended delays. If every airline had 0 IDBs and a low cancelation rate like DL then the attention would shift to VDBs and extended delay to avoid a cancelation on the books. DL understand this AA, UA, and WN need to catch on and catch up.*
Its such a cliche "don't hate the player hate the game" but it totally applies in this situation.

MIflyer12

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:19 pm

jayunited wrote:
we all have heard of DL's 20-24 hour delays to avoid a cancelation) pays for its self when customers choose DL over the competition.

Everyone loves the few anecdotes (in the context of 5,000-6,000 flights a day) where DL keeps people waiting. DL still has a markedly better on-time rate (vs. everybody but HA and AS) as well as a lower cancellation rate.

I'd much rather wait six hours for a mech-delayed flight than be told 'Come back Thursday. Tomorrow's flights are all full.' That after a cancellation after a rolling 3-hr delay that eliminated all options. That's a direct quote of the line I got from the gate agent as a paid F passenger on AA. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me with AA.

UA/AA/WN could decide to pay the VDB amounts to have both higher load factors (see the data for the last ~4 years) and very, very low IDB. They haven't made that choice.

slider

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Wanna know what the difference generally is between a voluntary and invol denied boarding event?

How the agent classifies it.

Anyone who's worked the front lines knows this. DL is shelling out a lot more dough, but they're being VERY deliberate on compensating to avoid Invols. And most often, a pax will get more $$ from "volunteering" than by the CoC invol compensation involved.

It's a fun game.

RDUDDJI

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:38 pm

jayunited wrote:
Positive headlines like that and DL constantly ranking in the top 3 in on-time arrivals, and fewest number of cancelations (again a PR game we all have heard of DL's 20-24 hour delays to avoid a cancelation) pays for its self when customers choose DL over the competition.

The amount of delays that long (maybe <1 month per carrier) is statistically insignificant when you're talking about an airline that has hundreds of thousands of flights per month. If you think other airlines don't use the same strategies to improve their performance numbers (and serve their pax), I have some oceanfront property in Colorado to sell you.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

kiowa

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:41 pm

I read this as WN and AA would rather bump passengers than raising the compensation package until passengers take it. DL obviously raised the package as high as needed. WN and AA would rather bump than pay.

Polot

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:10 pm

kiowa wrote:
I read this as WN and AA would rather bump passengers than raising the compensation package until passengers take it. DL obviously raised the package as high as needed. WN and AA would rather bump than pay.

When airlines bump they are required to pay. Make no mistake whatever DL/WN/AA/whoever offer as compensation for a voluntary bump it costs them less than what would be required of them in an involuntary bump situation.

As others say though DL may be wrapping their compensation in a more attractive package for customers though.

kiowa

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:33 pm

Polot wrote:
kiowa wrote:

When airlines bump they are required to pay. Make no mistake whatever DL/WN/AA/whoever offer as compensation for a voluntary bump it costs them less than what would be required of them in an involuntary bump situation.

As others say though DL may be wrapping their compensation in a more attractive package for customers though.

I prefer AA over WN or DL anytime but in this case, DL is doing the right thing for whatever reason. They may have paid more just to get this positive article and press. It’s still the right thing to do. If you raise the package high enough, you will get voluntarily takers. You just have to be willing to pay and give the agents enough authority. WN and AA were not willing to do that.

RDUDDJI

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:12 pm

slider wrote:
Wanna know what the difference generally is between a voluntary and invol denied boarding event?

Anyone who's worked the front lines knows this. DL is shelling out a lot more dough, but they're being VERY deliberate on compensating to avoid Invols. And most often, a pax will get more $$ from "volunteering" than by the CoC invol compensation involved.

It's a fun game.

True. As a former agent (not for AA or DL) I'd try to do whatever I could to take VDBs over IDBs (within company limits). I only recall one IDB in 2-3 years as an agent/supv. I think airlines are smart to offer more in compensation. Personally, I think IDBs deserve a higher payout, but as mentioned that's not the way it usually works. These days you're likely to get a lot more (in the form of gift cards/vouchers*) by VDBing than IDBing. I've heard VDB offers as high as $1400 on DL. Depending on the delay impact to the pax, that's a nice payout.

*Value of these of course, varies depending on how much you fly said airline. If you're a one time a year flyer, a voucher that expires in a year won't hold much value.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

slider

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:58 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
slider wrote:

It's a fun game.

True. As a former agent (not for AA or DL) I'd try to do whatever I could to take VDBs over IDBs (within company limits). I only recall one IDB in 2-3 years as an agent/supv. I think airlines are smart to offer more in compensation. Personally, I think IDBs deserve a higher payout, but as mentioned that's not the way it usually works. These days you're likely to get a lot more (in the form of gift cards/vouchers*) by VDBing than IDBing. I've heard VDB offers as high as $1400 on DL. Depending on the delay impact to the pax, that's a nice payout.

*Value of these of course, varies depending on how much you fly said airline. If you're a one time a year flyer, a voucher that expires in a year won't hold much value.

Precisely. I was in DTW and ATL frequently last year and was shocked at how high they were going to get volunteers.

For a recreational traveler or an infrequent traveler on a tight budget, it's a big deal. For a frequent flyer, it's also considerable if the alternative routings are good (and they throw in FC upgrade on the next flight too, as is often the case).

But travelers are often "voluntold" and they get bucketed as VOLs, not INVOLs. DLs just playing the game perfectly with it.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:00 pm

I have been under the impression that WN likes frequency because a bumped passenger can be re-accommodated on a later flight. In my limited experience WN calls passengers seems to re-route preemptively. When a Delta flight is delayed over 12 hours what sort of compensation do they offer?
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

IPFreely

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:28 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
When a Delta flight is delayed over 12 hours what sort of compensation do they offer?

Recently discussed:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/losangeles ... hours/amp/

RobertS975

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:31 pm

Well, no IDBs is impressive, but one of the reasons may be the sometimes obscene amount of money offered to get volunteers. I was recently at RSW awaiting a flight nonstop to Boston. The agent needed one seat...started at $400 with a later same day connection through ATL to arrive in BOS near midnight. No takers, and the GA kept raising the offer. Finally at an offer of $1500, a young woman volunteered .

EBiafore99

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:44 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
Well, no IDBs is impressive, but one of the reasons may be the sometimes obscene amount of money offered to get volunteers. I was recently at RSW awaiting a flight nonstop to Boston. The agent needed one seat...started at $400 with a later same day connection through ATL to arrive in BOS near midnight. No takers, and the GA kept raising the offer. Finally at an offer of $1500, a young woman volunteered .

I actually think DL is making a good, customer oriented decision. It blows my mind how any airline thinks it's okay to involuntarily bump someone. It could be a hard earned vacation, an important meeting, or a tragic event that the airline is disrupting all in the sake of "maximizing profit" through the overbooking process. Personally, I think an airline should have to keep raising the offer until all overbooked people are accommodated with volunteers...you want to overbook a flight to maximize profits, fine...but when you get it wrong, you don't get the cheap approach by forcing people off a plane, paying the penalty and washing your hands of the situation. You need to pay up.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos