DWC

Re: Updated: Japan allocates Haneda international slots to 9 nations

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:52 pm

fessor wrote:
Jetty wrote:
DWC wrote:
Business wise, even politically wise, Amsterdam is not Tokyo, KLM surely wants to fly there, but why would the Japanese fly to a lesser Skyteam hub ? BRU is not the only one close to AMS, Star hubs CPH & FRA can serve it well, BA also from LHR.

For the same reason AMS is served by an Asian airline from 10 out of 11 largest Asian airports, including by non-Skyteam airlines like SQ, BR and CX?

Maybe it's more About getting slots in AMS

Be realistic :
Japan is not Singapore, not Hong-Kong, not Taiwan : it is one of Asia's two long-standing economic giants.
With 126.8 million high purchasing power citizens, no less :
not 5.6, not 7.4, not 24 millions respectively. With 51,5 million, SKorea is some 40% of Japan.
Thus, if either Japanese airlines saw commercial potential & wanted access to AMS, they'd be flying there long ago. Period.

Waterbomber2

Re: Japan allocates additional Haneda international slots to ANA & JAL

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:09 pm

c933103 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
The India 0.5 for each far from ideal.

According to Japanese news site https://www.aviationwire.jp/archives/182833 ,
That 0.5 daytime slot for India is going to be coupled with 0.5 nighttime/early morning slot for both carriers.
Also, ANA getting Italy, Turkey, and Scandinavia while JAL getting Finland was reportedly a decision being made according to codeshare partner of each of the two carriers.

JL codeshares with AZ too if I'm not mistaken.

About AMS, I'm sure that there is interest from NH and JL to fly the route and more specifically from HND.
In theory they are already offering the HND-AMS route via LHR and FRA and now also more or less via VIE.
The transfer at those partner hubs is as convenient as flying from NRT.

The problem with AMS is probably the slots, lack of a codeshare partner and poor O&D pricing. Last time that I flew KLM on the route, business class was nearly empty.

berari

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Ethiopian Airlines' CEO is on the record stating that the airline will begin service to HND, going daily nonstop by end of 2020. So we can expect for one pair to be assigned to ET.

jbs2886

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:17 pm

berari wrote:
Ethiopian Airlines' CEO is on the record stating that the airline will begin service to HND, going daily nonstop by end of 2020. So we can expect for one pair to be assigned to ET.

Where are they going to get the rights? According to the release above, there are none assigned to Ethiopia.

EFHK

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:41 pm

QuawerAir wrote:

Now that we're talking about the Russian overflight rights, could we see some expansion to North America given that AY cannot add many flights to Asia? They receive one A350 in the 1H2020 which will be used 3 weekly to Busan. Thus, it could be used on another route for 3-4 weekly operations. I've also understood AY will receive another A350 in 1H2020 as well. They have to place them somewhere. As CKG will not be served in S20, an A330 will be released from this route as well (4 weekly operations).

Optimal solution would obviously be to gain more overflight rights, but unfortunately the distribution of those seems to be guided more by politics than common sense, so I've understood that gaining them is far from simple.

Without them, SE Asia and Indian subcontinent seem the only places where some money might be made. Such as BOM, BLR, KUL, CGK. Although all of these might work better during winter. As fun as seeing more TATL flights would be, TATL fares seem still rather low, so increasing capacity there would probably be sub-optimal. YYZ could be a candidate though.

MareBorealis wrote:

When AY started to expand outside NRT in Japan I remember one reason the gave was the limited slots in Tokyo area. Perhaps they consider making cuts in KIX NGO or FUK (summer) in favor of HND? In the coming winter they are starting a seasonal service to CTS also

Fares to secondary Japan appear to be constantly higher than to secondary China, so I'd be somewhat surprised if they cut from those. Although the additional overnight frequencies to KIX could be a candidate.

Now if we want to think out of the box, and I stress that this is pure speculation and not likely to happen, AY does have a history with flying the polar route to Tokyo, bypassing Soviet airspace. The route would be around 3000km longer than the Siberian one, and take a few more hours to fly. Now, having an overnight flight does usually increase J demand. So, let's say that if AY would be desperate enough to send their A350s somewhere, it would be funny to see them resurrecting the polar route by sending an A350 each night for a red-eye on each direction.

Obviously that would severely impact the whole idea of flying the Northern shortcut etc among other hindrances, but it's still a fun idea.

zakuivcustom

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:08 pm

Jetty wrote:
For the same reason AMS is served by an Asian airline from 10 out of 11 largest Asian airports, including by non-Skyteam airlines like SQ, BR and CX?

DWC wrote:
Be realistic :
Japan is not Singapore, not Hong-Kong, not Taiwan : it is one of Asia's two long-standing economic giants.
not 5.6, not 7.4, not 24 millions respectively. With 51,5 million, SKorea is some 40% of Japan.
Thus, if either Japanese airlines saw commercial potential & wanted access to AMS, they'd be flying there long ago. Period.

Let's not forget that SQ and CX can get transit traffic, i.e. AMS-SIN-SE Asia (i.e. Indonesia or backtrack to Malaysia)/AusNZ, or for CX, AMS-HKG-AusNZ/Mainland China (Although less so the latter case as KL along with Skyteam are very strong in mainland PRC).

Taiwan is an oddball case - it's more or less bilateral (Netherlands being one of the first few countries in Europe (IIRC...I can be totally wrong) that allow non-stop from Taiwan, this was back in 1980s or so) and historical reason.

AMS->Japan is pure O&D, while Japan->AMS is largely transit traffic with a some Japanese tourism traffic to Netherlands thrown in. Thus, KL greatly benefit from the transit traffic direction.

EFHK wrote:
ares to secondary Japan appear to be constantly higher than to secondary China, so I'd be somewhat surprised if they cut from those. Although the additional overnight frequencies to KIX could be a candidate.

Now if we want to think out of the box, and I stress that this is pure speculation and not likely to happen, AY does have a history with flying the polar route to Tokyo, bypassing Soviet airspace. The route would be around 3000km longer than the Siberian one, and take a few more hours to fly. Now, having an overnight flight does usually increase J demand. So, let's say that if AY would be desperate enough to send their A350s somewhere, it would be funny to see them resurrecting the polar route by sending an A350 each night for a red-eye on each direction.

Obviously that would severely impact the whole idea of flying the Northern shortcut etc among other hindrances, but it's still a fun idea.

Tokyo dominates Japan but is not the end all for Japan. For instance, before BA restarted KIX-LHR, most pax flew KIX-HEL-LHR (via AY) or KIX-AMS-LHR (via KL). Those are traffic that AY looks to capture (alongside boosting tourism to Finland by Japanese) - it's the exact same reason why AY fly to those secondary Chinese cities and had pushed to fly to PUS (in South Korea) for years.

Waterbomber2 wrote:
JL codeshares with AZ too if I'm not mistaken.

They don't. AZ's flight are listed on ANA's timetable but not JAL's.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

berari

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:53 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
berari wrote:

Where are they going to get the rights? According to the release above, there are none assigned to Ethiopia.

Details are not disclosed, but here's the article I'm referencing.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Transp ... 0-per-week

zakuivcustom

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:36 pm

berari wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
berari wrote:

It does say 2021, so perhaps some additional allocations later? Or ET getting a late night/early morning slots instead?

On the other hand, I was doing a random Google search, and ET had been trying to get into HND since 2015.

https://www.aviationwire.jp/archives/59837 (Sorry, Japanese only).

YYZflyboy

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:41 pm

Everyone also forgot one thing about BRU. It is the hub of SN, Brussels Airlines. Two reasons: *A member hub, and connections to Africa and more parts of Europe.

DWC wrote:
fessor wrote:
Jetty wrote:

Maybe it's more About getting slots in AMS

Be realistic :

Dominion301

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:15 am

Whiteguy wrote:
YYZORD wrote:
Because the demand for Montreal and Calgary is very small and can be sustained with 1x daily from AC. YYZ on the other hand is a way bigger market and a bigger star alliance hub too. its home to the largest city in Canada and is pretty big for a metropolitan area (6-7 million people). YYZ can be compared to hubs like ORD, IAH, SFO, etc. A lot of Japanese companies have Canadian head offices near YYZ too. YYZ is not only a gateway to Eastern Canada but its also a major gateway to the Eastern/Midwest US thanks to AC's route network so altogether, that accounts for way more demand for another tokyo flight for YYZ which NH can add. There are a lot of asians living here that would love to pay for premium service from NH.

Ishrion wrote:

Why not Montreal or Calgary :stirthepot:

Maybe WS will get it instead of AC. YYC-HND to compete with AC NRT flight....

I have a hard time believing that YYC can support two airlines flying to Tokyo. The fact that YYC has two transpacific routes for a city of its size is remarkable if of itself.

moa999

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:06 am

LAXintl wrote:
A380 is not authorized at HND.

I thought the A380 could but there were rules surrounding times (off peak only) and ground space. An A380 did a test flight in 2010.

Indeed this article suggests that Qantas has looked at it
https://www.executivetraveller.com/qant ... dney-tokyo

If they get a morning departure slot they'd be able to turn QF25/26 around more quickly.

ITSTours

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:47 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
berari wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

It does say 2021, so perhaps some additional allocations later? Or ET getting a late night/early morning slots instead?

On the other hand, I was doing a random Google search, and ET had been trying to get into HND since 2015.

https://www.aviationwire.jp/archives/59837 (Sorry, Japanese only).

Their current NRT-ICN-ADD flight departs late night, especially ICN departure is 1AM.
If ET wants an 1AM slot for HND I think it should be possible.

zakuivcustom

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:21 am

ITSTours wrote:

If ET ever get the HND slot they'll probably fly it non-stop instead of via ICN, though. They'll have to push back the departure time at ADD to something like 2 or 3am just to arrive at HND after 10pm.

On a side note, if ET continues to fly ADD-ICN-HND, maybe the HND-ICN sector can be filled quite well, at least after the current spat between the two nations (Which hopefully should be over by 2021...)

Jetty

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:42 am

YYZflyboy wrote:
Everyone also forgot one thing about BRU. It is the hub of SN, Brussels Airlines. Two reasons: *A member hub, and connections to Africa and more parts of Europe.

While that is true there isn't a single connection that is unique to BRU; FRA and MUC cover all European connections BRU has to offer more frequently and for Africa BRU is a huge detour.

ITSTours

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:55 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
ITSTours wrote:

If ET ever get the HND slot they'll probably fly it non-stop instead of via ICN, though. They'll have to push back the departure time at ADD to something like 2 or 3am just to arrive at HND after 10pm.

On a side note, if ET continues to fly ADD-ICN-HND, maybe the HND-ICN sector can be filled quite well, at least after the current spat between the two nations (Which hopefully should be over by 2021...)

Oh, I should have clarified, yes I meant it would be HND-ADD direct.

Bazooka

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:35 am

LAXintl wrote:
centrair wrote:
Exciting!!!! Look forward to some new movements at HND... with ANA moving international to T1 to integrate with domestic, it’ll become a very different international terminal.

Terminal -2

Bazooka wrote:
Will ANA fly it’s Superjumbo out of HND to HNL instead of NRT?

A380 is not authorized at HND. Thanks for the info.

wenders825 wrote:
insane that Malaysia Airlines couldn't get in on this, yet all surrounding countries' flag carriers have service.

Malaysia was one of the first countries that gained HND access. Rights were however given to Air Asia by the Malaysian government.

seanwd209

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:41 am

Are there any chances of ANA or JAL launching new routes from NRT as more slots have been freed up there as a result of developments at HND? Can cities like JNB, DXB, DUB, MAD, BCN be served by either of the two?

goldorak

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:13 pm

I think AF would be very happy to move their once daily CDG-NRT to HND to have all their Tokyo ops in HND. But to do that, they need of course to obtain slots, but they need also that SB is moving the NRT-NOU flight to HND and at convenient times/slots to ensure the connections between the 2 flights that are strongly linked. So not so easy.

eamondzhang

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:42 pm

seanwd209 wrote:
Are there any chances of ANA or JAL launching new routes from NRT as more slots have been freed up there as a result of developments at HND? Can cities like JNB, DXB, DUB, MAD, BCN be served by either of the two?

Neither of them have enough crew and planes to do too many expansions. A route or two is probably the max they can afford, and at least for ANA they do have quite a few new intl routes they'll launch from HND.

And I doubt they'll gonna launch JNB (too far) or DXB (not much for them - they're not chasing after transit traffic and Dubai-Tokyo O&D won't be that great at all) anytime soon.

Michael

seanwd209

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:39 am

I see, well I wonder why ANA included Africa and the Middle East in their 'white spots' or places they intend to fly to in the future, according to their Mid-Term Corporate Strategy for FY2018-2022.

https://www.ana.co.jp/group/en/pr/20180 ... 201-2.html

YYZORD

Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:58 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
seanwd209 wrote:

Neither of them have enough crew and planes to do too many expansions. A route or two is probably the max they can afford, and at least for ANA they do have quite a few new intl routes they'll launch from HND.

And I doubt they'll gonna launch JNB (too far) or DXB (not much for them - they're not chasing after transit traffic and Dubai-Tokyo O&D won't be that great at all) anytime soon.

Michael

I can see these destinations added from NRT by both NH & JL:

NH: ZRH, AKL, YYZ, AMS
JL: MAD, BNE, BCN

Sydscott

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Sydscott wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:

Think this two are highly unlikely given they'll still command about 75-80% of total market share with any sort of cooperation, regardless of where ANA flies with its additional HND slot. Any applications will likely be shot down by ACCC.

Michael

I wouldn't be so sure as an ACCC position will take into account both the direct and indirect marketshare of Qantas and JAL in their assessment. There is also, in my opinion, no counterfactual position to take whereby competition emerges from the Australian side to Japan however that would also take into account the substantial amount of indirect competition for pax.

So it's not as straight forward as looking at direct marketshare.

I wouldn't be so sure - look at the HKG example, and that was just a codeshare versus the full JV that we're discussing here.

Competition environment is similar - CX and QF dominates the market (although with more flights), and the only direct competition comes from the twice daily VA flights.

If this has any indications, JL/QF would face similar scenario in Japan to Australia market as you could argue NH's twice daily flights are the only competition that they face.

Michael

We'll see pretty quickly where the HND slots are going in Australia. The IASC has now started its allocation process:

https://www.iasc.gov.au/applications/index.aspx#JPN

Final allocations will happen by October 31st.

seanwd209

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:29 am

YYZORD wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
seanwd209 wrote:

Michael

Do you have any sources that prove JL and NH will fly to those cities?

jbs2886

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:36 am

seanwd209 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:

Michael

Do you have any sources that prove JL and NH will fly to those cities?

He’s clearly speculating: “I can see”

seanwd209

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:04 am

Sorry, I didn't notice that.

seanwd209

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:35 pm

Does anyone have access to this CAPA report analysing the Haneda slot awards?

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... ers-492396

mercure1

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Japan - Turkey sign updated bilateral with rights for Haneda.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EEG7lraU0AEdTYt.jpg
mercure f-wtcc

Fuling

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:50 pm

Sorry if its been mentioned, but do we have any indication as to when JL and NH will be announcing their HND additions?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:37 am

QF applied for both Australia HND slots

https://www.iasc.gov.au/applications/fi ... _Japan.pdf

Seek 2nd SYD-HND(787) and new MEL-HND(A330)
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ITSTours

Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:35 am

Will VA jump in? Otherwise it is granted that QF will get two slots...

mercure1

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:32 am

Virgin Australia also seeks Haneda slot.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL3N268147
mercure f-wtcc

gokmengs

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:46 am

YYZORD wrote:
No love for Canada?

LAXintl wrote:
Foreign route allocation for ANA - JAL

ANA
USA - 6
China - 2
Russia - 1
Australia - 1
India - 0.5
Italy - 1
Turkey - 1
Scandinavia - 1

JAL
USA - 6
China - 2
Russia - 1
Australia - 1
India - 0.5
Finland - 1

Canada might be the toughest country to get into for foreign airlines, TK might as well be begging for more flights, what goes around comes around I guess:)
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

rigo

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:34 am

ITSTours wrote:
what's 0.5? How does it work? Only arrival or departure?

It means only half the plane is allowed to land :lol:

xieym

Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:39 pm

according to CAAC
http://www.caac.gov.cn/XXGK/XXGK/TZTG/2 ... 162595.pdf

CA PEK-HND 1 daily
MU PKX-HND 1 daily
CZ PKX-HND 1 daily
FM PVG-HND 1 daily

seanwd209

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:23 am

Does anyone have access to this article?

https://aviationweek.com/commercial-avi ... na-and-jal

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:26 am

Virgin Australia applies for BNE-HND

On 24 September 2019, the Commission received an application from Virgin Australia for an allocation of one frequency per day for passenger services during daytime hours on the Japan route to operate to/from Haneda Airport.

Virgin Australia’s application:
https://www.iasc.gov.au/applications/fi ... p_2019.pdf
Last edited by LAXintl on Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

RainerBoeing777

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:32 am

Why NH,JL and the other nations take so long to publish the routes?

Another big question that I have Air Italy as Norwegian could request slots for HND?
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG

eamondzhang

Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:13 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Why NH,JL and the other nations take so long to publish the routes?

Another big question that I have Air Italy as Norwegian could request slots for HND?

Not really surprising as it's for S20 - they don't really have to rush and have plenty of time for it.

Air Italy and Norwegian in theory can, but Norwegian doesn't have the overfly right in Russia so it's are almost impossible (financially) to fly to HND.

Michael

ITSTours

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:53 am

LAXintl wrote:
Virgin Australia applies for BNE-HND

On 24 September 2019, the Commission received an application from Virgin Australia for an allocation of one frequency per day for passenger services during daytime hours on the Japan route to operate to/from Haneda Airport.

Virgin Australia’s application:
https://www.iasc.gov.au/applications/fi ... p_2019.pdf

Interesting, not SYD or MEL.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:26 am

Per SK contact heard they will seek to run CPH-HND using A350s for summer 2020.

Also at a celebration for 50th anniversary of Tokyo-Sydney service, JAL Australia manager Toshima Takizo stated "Sydney is the most promising candidate" for the carriers recently awarded Haneda slot.

JAL, Haneda-Sydney “Most Promising Candidate” 50th anniversary
https://www.aviationwire.jp/archives/185463

=

Amsterdam

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:00 am

Any chance for a AMS flight? KLM is still flying to Narita.

janders

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:04 pm

The Netherlands was not one of the nations awarded access to Haneda, so no KLM wont be able to serve it.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

eamondzhang

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:59 pm

Amsterdam wrote:

If you scroll up thread you'll answer your own question.

But no, no chance at this moment as Netherlands are not awarded slots at HND.

Michael

Amsterdam

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:49 am

janders wrote:
The Netherlands was not one of the nations awarded access to Haneda, so no KLM wont be able to serve it.

Man... :-/

Amsterdam

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:50 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

If you scroll up thread you'll answer your own question.

But no, no chance at this moment as Netherlands are not awarded slots at HND.

Michael

Yes I read it after I asked the question...
Maybe in the future AMS-HND will be.

LIPZ

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:03 am

As per ENAC (Italian Civil Aviation Authority) statement Alitalia has now officially been granted 7xw flights to Haneda eff from S20.

Dieuwer

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:54 pm

Not sure how there can be different outcomes for different EU countries with respect to to HND. I thought the EU demanded all EU countries treated equally with respect to air rights. Is there not one unified airspace in the EU? How can Japan just cherry pick which countries in Europe can get HND access and which not??

mercure1

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Not sure how there can be different outcomes for different EU countries with respect to to HND. I thought the EU demanded all EU countries treated equally with respect to air rights. Is there not one unified airspace in the EU? How can Japan just cherry pick which countries in Europe can get HND access and which not??

Pretty simple. EU bloc does not have air service agreement or openskies agreement with Japan. Individual bilaterals stand. This is the reason why France, Germany, and UK were initially granted Haneda access in 2011.
mercure f-wtcc

Dieuwer

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:13 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Pretty simple. EU bloc does not have air service agreement or openskies agreement with Japan. Individual bilaterals stand. This is the reason why France, Germany, and UK were initially granted Haneda access in 2011.

Then why is the EU Commission not pushing for an all-encompassing air service agreement with Japan? If I were KL, I would consider starting a case at the ECJ.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:22 pm

The EU has very few(only about 10) bloc-wide air service agreements primarily because many members have opposed or dragged their feet in giving the commission such authority. Additionally, many partner nations still prefer to enter into individual trade deals which includes air service with EU states.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos