Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Someone83

Re: Updated: UA Announcing CUR, NCE and PMO and expanding some existing routes

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:38 pm

What is the aircraft on the 2nd daily EWR-FRA?

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:42 pm

There are lots of 1-stop routings NYC-PMO, some priced pretty cheaply (even in August). We'll see if UA gets the kind of average fares it needs. Good on 'em for trying.

LHUSA

Re: UA Network Planning Event 8/22/2019

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:43 pm

enilria wrote:
LHUSA wrote:
enilria wrote:
DL had just made SLC year-round a few weeks ago, so there you go.

LOL, nice try. UA has stated since launch of DEN-LHR it's desire to go year-round. Finding an available LHR slot is not something you manage in two weeks to spite a competitor.

LOL, nice try back at you. There are slots to get. The issue is always how much you are willing to pay, even within an alliance. Delta going year-round may have caused UA to increase their budget for a slot.

Even if there were the case, it likely could not be coordinated and ready for the press release all within two weeks - maybe for a domestic market but not something like DEN-LHR. It's much more likely that United stating its desire to go year-round from DEN prompted DL to make SLC year-round.

mattnrsa

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:58 pm

intotheair wrote:
I can't imagine they'd be okay with cutting EWR-LHR back to 4x in the winter. DEN-LHR has now been loaded into the schedules beyond November, but I don't see any cut anywhere.

enilria wrote:
There are slots to get. The issue is always how much you are willing to pay, even within an alliance.

Maybe I’m remembering it wrong, but I thought UA had six EWR-LHR flights, taken down to five in the summer to fund the DEN flight. Are they leaving EWR-LHR at five to keep DEN year-round?

abrelosojos

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:03 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
Look out for more hub to hub flying, like further EWR-FRA, etc.

Saludos,
Alex

= Good to see UA finally making some sensible adds. It needs to go after DL far more aggressively, and their recent network adds have been a good mix of experimental flying (PPT, PMO, CPT), and fortifying their hub to hub flying.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

abrelosojos

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:04 pm

greenair727 wrote:
Lotta hype for not much.....

= Why? These are sensible adds, and do not need throwing darts to please A.Netters. Not surprised by SFO-DEL going year round. It is an extremely high yielding route for AI.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

lugie

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:14 pm

Someone83 wrote:

One of the high-J 763s with 46 Polaris seats as per the press release.
https://hub.united.com/united--announce ... 56417.html

With the completely overhauled 767-300 and presumably still the 787-10 on the second frequency they're sending their newest hard product to FRA.
Last edited by lugie on Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

notconcerned

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Someone83 wrote:

High J 763

lesfalls

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:30 pm

PMO is mainly for the sicilian population living in Staten Island and Brooklyn. That flight will mostly be filled with passengers needing assistance due to the population getting always smaller in NY. When IG operated the route it was not profitable supposedly which caused them to move the flight to MXP under the new Air Italy. Same story with NAP. More then likely there was some government support from PMO as otherwise IG would've not operated that flight for as long as they did.

Regarding NCE I wonder what will happen to La Compagnie as that was probably one of the few other markets that they could expand to other than new routes from Paris. Anyone know how that service was doing?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

babastud

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:46 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

= Why? These are sensible adds, and do not need throwing darts to please A.Netters. Not surprised by SFO-DEL going year round. It is an extremely high yielding route for AI.

Saludos,
Alex

Good to hear about SFO-DEL going year round and the demand even though the flight has yet to start. Given the level of demand I would not be surprised if come next year we hear rumors of a SFO-BOM flight in the works? remember SFO is a perfect location to transfer and pull from the LAX area, so you have a large population to work with also. Granted the equipment would have to be available, and would it make it?

Nicknuzzii

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:50 pm

mattnrsa wrote:
intotheair wrote:
I can't imagine they'd be okay with cutting EWR-LHR back to 4x in the winter. DEN-LHR has now been loaded into the schedules beyond November, but I don't see any cut anywhere.

enilria wrote:
There are slots to get. The issue is always how much you are willing to pay, even within an alliance.

Maybe I’m remembering it wrong, but I thought UA had six EWR-LHR flights, taken down to five in the summer to fund the DEN flight. Are they leaving EWR-LHR at five to keep DEN year-round?

No, EWR has been 5x to LHR for a while. No way they would cut it down especially after all the lost capacity in the switch from 763/4s to high-J 763s

hooverman

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:55 pm

Was hoping for DEN-AMS as it’s the last major UA hub not connected to AMS. Maybe KL will beat them to it.

DLHAM

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:00 pm

lesfalls wrote:
PMO is mainly for the sicilian population living in Staten Island and Brooklyn. That flight will mostly be filled with passengers needing assistance due to the population getting always smaller in NY. When IG operated the route it was not profitable supposedly which caused them to move the flight to MXP under the new Air Italy. Same story with NAP. More then likely there was some government support from PMO as otherwise IG would've not operated that flight for as long as they did.

Its so frustrating that they launch a city like Palermo after cutting Hamburg, which is three times larger (the Metro area even more), has a 3.6 times higher GDP per Capita and I am pretty sure a much higher demand for US traffic (almost 450.000 travelers HAM <> USA in 2018, just 6,8% of them took a nonstop flight)..
But UA and AA seem to love tourists, where Hamburg cant offer all too much compared to Italy.
My Instagram Account: Instagram

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:20 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Regarding NCE I wonder what will happen to La Compagnie as that was probably one of the few other markets that they could expand to other than new routes from Paris. Anyone know how that service was doing?

I'm thinking UA's competition is more DL's JFK-NCE on a 764 (codeshared by AF) more than La Compagnie EWR-NCE.

lesfalls

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:24 pm

DLHAM wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

Its so frustrating that they launch a city like Palermo after cutting Hamburg, which is three times larger (the Metro area even more), has a 3.6 times higher GDP per Capita and I am pretty sure a much higher demand for US traffic (almost 450.000 travelers HAM <> USA in 2018, just 6,8% of them took a nonstop flight)..
But UA and AA seem to love tourists, where Hamburg cant offer all too much compared to Italy.

Have to agree with you. Flew the HAM-EWR flight 3xs and the flight was always full and expensive. The reason behind UA's pull out from what I heard was that there were consitent delays when the 767 started operating the flight which annoyed much of the buisness folk taking the flights. Ultimately this caused the end of the flight and with LH keeping its hands tight on HAM (City and airport) not much change will come unless it's from a Skyteam or Oneworld airline. EKs recent upgrade to the A380 at HAM I heard hasn't been much of success either so I wonder if LHs power in HAM has to due with their limited success with the upgrade.

FSDan

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:26 pm

lesfalls wrote:

One key difference between IG and UA is that UA can supplement the NYC O&D with connections from all over the U.S. I'm pretty sure the IG flights would have been heavily reliant on O&D from both sides.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

mattnrsa

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:39 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
No, EWR has been 5x to LHR for a while.

Do you remember when EWR went from six down to five flights? It definitely used to be six but I don’t remember when it went to five. I always thought it was to fund the DEN flight. At least that’s where it came from for the seasonal DEN service. I thought they were just keeping EWR at five to maintain year-round DEN flights.

What’s the best way to look at flights from last year? I don’t think departedflights.com is that recent.

jayunited

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:49 pm

mattnrsa wrote:

No you are not remembering things wrong here is the entire back ground on UA's LHR evolution over the past few years.

For a short time IAH-LHR was 3x daily (all 763s) but reverted back to 2x daily 77Es, then 2x daily 1 77E and 1 789.
After the IAH reduction back to 2x daily UA announced an increase on our LAX-LHR route. We were supposed to go 2x daily LAX-LHR (2x daily for IATA summer only) 1x daily year around. That seasonal additional LAX-LHR frequency was canned before it ever took flight and UA moved that frequency to EWR giving us 6x daily EWR-LHR during IATA summer only. However in 2017 UA announced the launch of DEN-LHR in March of 2018 with the launch of DEN-LHR they moved the seasonal slot from EWR to DEN. The hope ever since the announcement in 2017 has been to make this route year around and now it would seem as if UA finally has gotten their hands on yet another year round slot which opened the door for DEN-LHR to be flown year round.

FourCHZ

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:00 pm

UA had 17 total LHR slots 16 daily year round and 1 summer seasonal . With Den going year round which hub is going to get the summer seasonal slot. My guess in order of most likely to get the seasonal reduction to least are 1 ORD , 2 IAD ,3 IAH ,4 EWR (most to give) 5 lax(only 1 daily) 6 SFO (only 1 daily).

airzim

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:12 pm

I suspect these seasonal European adds are linked to Med cruises traffic. PMO, NCE, NAP, VCE, etc.

DLHAM

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:18 pm

lesfalls wrote:
EKs recent upgrade to the A380 at HAM I heard hasn't been much of success either so I wonder if LHs power in HAM has to due with their limited success with the upgrade.

In February, March, April load factors were between 83 and 88%, now in the summer months loads are lower, which is normal because not too many people fly to the middle east, far east and Oceania in the summer months.
Now they downgraded to 777 for a few weeks, which is not too silly because when the 777 is enough to carry all passengers, then better use it and take advantage of the much higher cargo capacity.

paneuropean

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:22 pm

Since Schiphol is slot allocated, I question if will SFO-AMS will return next year. In other words, how did United get this extra slot for EWR?

fraT

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:26 pm

airzim wrote:
I suspect these seasonal European adds are linked to Med cruises traffic. PMO, NCE, NAP, VCE, etc.

Are NAP, PMO and NCE really start or end points for Med cruises? Of course their are included in many schedules but I did not come across any offers with those as start or end points.

mkorpal333

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:30 pm

A bit bummed that DEN didn't get any additional service. But I'll take anything really, and still hold out hope that EI finally launches next summer.

jayunited

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:33 pm

paneuropean wrote:
Since Schiphol is slot allocated, I question if will SFO-AMS will return next year. In other words, how did United get this extra slot for EWR?

Contained within the press release there is piece of the article talking about AMS, it stated UA serves AMS from EWR, IAD, IAH, ORD, and SFO. The additional seasonal EWR-AMS service is not replacing SFO-AMS it is in addition to already existing service.

Planeboy17

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:50 pm

FSDan wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Assuming these are adds for next summer's long haul schedule, I'll throw out a few guesses:
SFO-DUB (789)
SFO-FCO (772)
DEN-CDG (788)
ORD-DUS (763)
ORD-TLV (772)
EWR-SVQ (752)
EWR-PMO (763)

Well, getting 1 one out of 7 correct doesn't seem all that great, but compared to some other folks' guessing records, I'll take it :).

Interesting that ORD-ZRH is a large enough market to warrant a 3rd daily service (I'm assuming LX will still fly a daily 333 and a daily 77W on the route in the summer?) rather than opening up a European market not already served by the JV.

I thought the same thing but now I wonder if ZRH is a substitute flight instead of an additional flight. I saw that LX is adding IAD and KIX and maybe they will pull the 2nd ORD flight for these routes and UA will simply fly the second ORD-ZRH.
I have no idea if that’s true, I’m just guesstimating.
Although it wouldn’t completely shock me if they do go 3x to ZRH either.

Planeboy17

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:54 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Assuming these are adds for next summer's long haul schedule, I'll throw out a few guesses:
SFO-DUB (789)
SFO-FCO (772)
DEN-CDG (788)
ORD-DUS (763)
ORD-TLV (772)
EWR-SVQ (752)
EWR-PMO (763)

Well, getting 1 one out of 7 correct doesn't seem all that great, but compared to some other folks' guessing records, I'll take it :).

Interesting that ORD-ZRH is a large enough market to warrant a 3rd daily service (I'm assuming LX will still fly a daily 333 and a daily 77W on the route in the summer?) rather than opening up a European market not already served by the JV.

I thought the same thing but now I wonder if ZRH is a substitute flight instead of an additional flight. I saw that LX is adding IAD and KIX and maybe they will pull the 2nd ORD flight for these routes and UA will simply fly the second ORD-ZRH.
I have no idea if that’s true, I’m just guesstimating.
Although it wouldn’t completely shock me if they do go 3x to ZRH either.

I just looked at the LX website for July 2020 and it is showing 2x ORD flights 5 days a week which I believe is the same as this summer. I don’t know how far out the LX schedules go so it may mean nothing.

Judge1310

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:56 pm

DLHAM wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

I definitely feel you. There was nothing better than flying directly into and out of HAM to the States. Just did a trip through FRA to HAM and, although it's a short hop up north, storms in the FFM area proved nearly disastrous to my travel plans.

Sidenote: is the UA 757 still being featured at Flughafen Knuffingen? ;-)

Thibault973

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:48 pm

So up to 3 daily flights from New York to Nice next summer. Interesting.

tlecam

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:57 pm

Great news. Love the Palermo add!
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

runway23

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:15 pm

fraT wrote:
airzim wrote:

Are NAP, PMO and NCE really start or end points for Med cruises? Of course their are included in many schedules but I did not come across any offers with those as start or end points.

There are no cruises in Nice. Ferries to Corsica yes but the cruises are all mostly out of MRS.

UA is after the folks who go to Nice, Cannes, St Tropez and Monaco. The 46J configuration to NCE is extremely logical.

IPFreely

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:58 pm

FSDan wrote:
Maybe they'll be able to fill the front of the plane with high-end mob traffic. :duck:

You mean low- to mid-level mob traffic. High end mobsters fly on private jets.

FSDan

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:19 am

I don't believe this was included in any of the press releases, but can anyone confirm whether the EWR-PMO service will be on a low-J 763? I'm assuming PMO is out of 752 range and that UA wouldn't start a new route like this with a 764.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

CONTACREW

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:57 am

FSDan wrote:
I don't believe this was included in any of the press releases, but can anyone confirm whether the EWR-PMO service will be on a low-J 763? I'm assuming PMO is out of 752 range and that UA wouldn't start a new route like this with a 764.

Low J 763.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

DLHAM

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:19 am

Judge1310 wrote:
I definitely feel you. There was nothing better than flying directly into and out of HAM to the States. Just did a trip through FRA to HAM and, although it's a short hop up north, storms in the FFM area proved nearly disastrous to my travel plans.

Sidenote: is the UA 757 still being featured at Flughafen Knuffingen? ;-)

AFAIK it is, yes :D. Time for a Delta 767 at Knuffingen.

Yes having to transfer somewhere is almost always a pain in the ass, especially going eastbound over the atlantic, hanging around at some airport for hours in the worst case, tired from the red eye flight.

Ishrion

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:24 am

FSDan wrote:

When booking the flight on united.com, the seat map shows the 2-2-2 old configuration.

FBGTX

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:57 am

NCE-EWR is still confirmed by Nice Matin, launched by May 2020: https://www.nicematin.com/economie/une- ... our-406886

CALMSP

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:18 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
abrelosojos wrote:
Look out for more hub to hub flying, like further EWR-FRA, etc.

Saludos,
Alex

= Good to see UA finally making some sensible adds. It needs to go after DL far more aggressively, and their recent network adds have been a good mix of experimental flying (PPT, PMO, CPT), and fortifying their hub to hub flying.

Saludos,
Alex

In what way does UA need to target DL “far more aggressively”?

airzona11

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:08 pm

Great use of the 763s, that space has big potential to backfill.

SFOtoORD

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:23 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

Saludos,
Alex

Remember when a bunch of people on this site claimed UA was losing money on EWR-BOM/DEL and that the airspace issue was just an excuse to cut their loses? And now they’ll have three daily non-stops to India year round. Still waiting for that EWR or SFO to BLR route.

Buffalomatt1027

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 am

jplatts wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
I think that UA would begin BUF-DEN or IAH first before it try’s a cross country to SFO.

UA will probably add BUF-DEN nonstop service at some point since F9 and WN both already have seasonal nonstop service to DEN from BUF and since UA has recently added nonstop service out of DEN to other destinations in the Northeast and Southeast.

UA adding BUF-IAH nonstop service is a possibility as the lack of BUF-IAH nonstop service is one of the biggest holes in both BUF and IAH.

UA really struggles at BNIA / BUF. I dont see that happening.

http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/F4SD ... htm#SUBMIT

Check out it.

Freshside3

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:04 am

jfidler wrote:
My guesses:

IAD-WAW. It's the only major *A hub in Europe not served yet from IAD.
IAD-PVG (but is China opening slots?)
IAD-ICN (does ICN have capacity?)

PRG flights from an UA hub (EWR?) could be interesting if they want to compete with AA's recently-announced expansion in Eastern Europe (more PRG capacity, new service to KRK).

ATH is a *A hub, and they also don't have a flight from IAD. But then again, UA never has taken the countries of Greece or Poland as serious markets, either.
As for going against AA in ORD to PRG/KRK.....forget it...….too late, guys.....you had your chance......try a different Eastern European city(KBP, ZAG, BEG, OTP, perhaps??)
Last edited by Freshside3 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freshside3

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:20 am

UALFAson wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
The press release is so poorly written: The bit about AMS being twice daily but doesn't say from where.

It also doesn't say where the CUR service is from and there are other typos (the 46th 767 or do you mean a 46-Polaris seat 767?)

This is really embarrassing and looks like it was done by an intern. No one was available last night or early this morning to proofread this?!?

I heard similar comments on other "Aviation Geek" and frequent flyer sites. Poor job on the UA press releases!!

lesfalls

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:46 pm

Ch-aviation is saying that PMO and NCE will be served from ORD:

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... -to-europe

runway23

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:12 pm

lesfalls wrote:

UA's press release was clear, both of them are from Newark. CH Aviation is wrong.

OA412

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:18 pm

runway23 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

UA's press release was clear, both of them are from Newark. CH Aviation is wrong.

Indeed, no way either of those two are flown from anywhere other than EWR. NCE has only worked from NYC. PHL and ATL have both been terminated.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

USAirALB

Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:44 pm

OA412 wrote:
runway23 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

Indeed, no way either of those two are flown from anywhere other than EWR. NCE has only worked from NYC. PHL and ATL have both been terminated.

Who flew PHL-NCE? I don’t recall US ever serving it.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

tpaewr

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:06 pm

lesfalls wrote:

I have family from Chicago so I get they are proud of the city but it is alway cute when Chicago-land people think their market is on par with NYC in any way

OA412

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:43 pm

USAirALB wrote:
OA412 wrote:
runway23 wrote:

Who flew PHL-NCE? I don’t recall US ever serving it.

I thought US flew it on a seasonal basis, but I could be wrong. Perhaps I'm confusing it with their PHL-VCE service.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

910A

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:53 pm

US had never flown to NCE..