smbukas
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:17 am

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:01 am

Well, such an increase on BUD-BRU cannot be sustainable. SN has now 3x daily flights (with an overnight in BUD) and LOT will fly on the same schedule for most lucrative morning and evening rotations. Here comes Wizz Air, with relatively competitive schedule and 239-seater A321NEO: you cannot compete on seat costs with E195. Wizz Air may sell 2hour sector for 50EUR and make money when LOT will sell for 90EUR and lose money. Even though, I'm sure 40-50EUR premium for flying LOT is not achievable for LOT which is not the very famous brand in Hungary or Belgium. Belgian travelers will stay with SN due to brand recognition, corporate contracts, etc.; price-sensitive passengers will go with Wizz Air and LOT will have a very hard time to find their niche.
 
SMKCosmopolitan
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:42 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:37 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
From W6's FB page. New airport for W6 (BRU) competing directly with LOT's new BUD-BRU. How convenient.

We are proudly announcing the allocation of another state-of-the-art Airbus A321neo aircraft at our base in Budapest and the start of three new services.
From the 1st of June, 2020 we'll start a new daily service to a new destination: Brussels Airport, the Belgian capital's main airport and from 1 and 3 June 2020, two Ukrainian services to Lviv, Western Ukraine’s central city, and Kharkiv, the second-largest city in the country.


Seems like W6 responds vigorously to the entry of LOT into the Hungary-Belgium market. Do you think we might see additional CRL routes being shifted to BRU? WAW would certainly be a prime candidate if the target is to up the ante versus LOT.

Overall, I would have expected a more significant expansion from BUD, yet according to budflyer more new route announcements likely to follow https://budflyer.blog.hu/2019/09/11/jov ... a_wizz_air

In additional to the listed candidates (Minsk, Cluj) I could definitely imagine Beirut, Turku, another German destination (likely Cologne or Hamburg) and Tallinn. Which destinations do you think are likely on their radar?
 
Blerg
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:58 pm

But if they keep on moving from secondary to primary airports, wouldn't that affect their costs? I can only imagine how much more expensive BRU is compared to CRL.

To me it seems like they are going down the same path as FR.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5418
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:47 pm

SMKCosmopolitan wrote:
Seems like W6 responds vigorously to the entry of LOT into the Hungary-Belgium market. Do you think we might see additional CRL routes being shifted to BRU? WAW would certainly be a prime candidate if the target is to up the ante versus LOT.


The route has not been moved. It has been duplicated. Ryanair has also made that. For instance a few years ago MAD-CRL was twice daily. Then they started operations in BRU and LUX. Now MAD-BRU is 12 weekly, MAD-CRL 5 weekly and MAD-LUX 4 weekly. Wizz also makes this in London at LGW and SEN, duplicating LTN routes.

I think the most logical additions out of BRU would be Bucharest and Warsaw. W6 does not fly from either KTW or KRK to CRL/BRU and Ryanair is starting KRK-BRU and already flies KRK-CRL. Maybe Katowice/Krakow or Gdansk from BRU would also make sense.
 
Blerg
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:51 am

Wizz Air is increasing its presence in Serbia next summer:

INI-MMX from 3 to 4 weekly.
INI-FMM from 2 to 3 weekly.
 
Galwayman
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Wizz share price is falling dramatically in response to the oil spike. Possibly the markets don't think they're sufficiently hedged
 
EIBPI
Topic Author
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:56 pm

Wizz Air to launch Luton to Tenerife.
 
MCTSET
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:44 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Wizz Air to launch Luton to Tenerife.


Could you link a source please?
 
MCTSET
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:47 pm

With the collapse of TCX how do you think wizz air will use this to their advantage. More Gatwick service, an expansion at BHX or maybe the beginning of service from Manchester?
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 pm

MCTSET wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
Wizz Air to launch Luton to Tenerife.


Could you link a source please?


The flights are on sale on Wizz Air's website and timings are:

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 90145?s=19

Someone removed the wiki edit of LTN-TFS with Wizz but check the Wizz website and you will find this route
 
EIBPI
Topic Author
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:06 pm

MCTSET wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
Wizz Air to launch Luton to Tenerife.


Could you link a source please?


Wizz Air FB page.
Image
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 3944
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:44 pm

MCTSET wrote:
With the collapse of TCX how do you think wizz air will use this to their advantage. More Gatwick service, an expansion at BHX or maybe the beginning of service from Manchester?


Just could be, however they won't be the only ones interested. I can see EasyJet trying to get it's share as well. Also Ryanair, Jet2 and TUI might jump at the opportunity.
 
EIBPI
Topic Author
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:14 pm

It will be interesting to see if Wizz Air tries to get a substantial number of LGW slots with Thomas Cook gone.
 
oschkosch
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:58 pm

terefere wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
Is there any reason why they serve those secondary Norwegian airports only from the North (Gdansk) and South (Krakow) and not from Warsaw?

Is it because people from Warsaw migrate less to Norway or other developed countries? (which makes sense because of the "capital effect"?


My guess is that + Gdansk is definitely the no 1 tourist destination for Norwegians in PL, perhaps Krakow is quite popular too?
Polish friends say there is extreme medical Tourism between Nordic countries and Poland. Mainly pensioners coming for dental work. They then add on some cheap shopping and 1 day sightseeing. Much cheaper than at home!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
 
MCTSET
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:12 pm

EIBPI wrote:
MCTSET wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
Wizz Air to launch Luton to Tenerife.


Could you link a source please?


Wizz Air FB page.
Image


Thank you, well that was a very quick first response. I definitely see them attempting something at Glasgow.
 
MCTSET
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Wizz air seem very interested in expanding at Gatwick, they are eager to get LGW slots.
 
EIBPI
Topic Author
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:05 pm

The Vienna war continues with Ryanair/Lauda launching a bunch of new routes:
Image

Vienna – Lappeenranta – Vienna (2x Week from March 29, 2020)
Vienna – Helsinki – Vienna (Daily from March 29, 2020)
Vienna – Tallin – Vienna (3x Week from March 31, 2020)
Vienna – Bristol – Vienna (2x Week from March 29, 2020)
Vienna – Banja Luka – Vienna (2x Week from March 30, 2020)
Vienna – Burgas – Vienna (2x Week from March 31, 2020)
Vienna – Skiathos – Vienna (2x Week from May 2, 2020)
Vienna – Kefalonia – Vienna (2x Week from May 2, 2020)
Vienna – Dubrovnik – Vienna (2x Week from March 29, 2020)
Vienna – Brindisi – Vienna (5x Week from March 29, 2020)
Vienna – Lamezia Terme – Vienna (2x Week from March 31, 2020)
Vienna – Catania – Vienna (3x Week from March 31, 2020)
Vienna – Malta – Vienna (3x Week from March 30, 2020)
Vienna – Palermo – Vienna (3x Week from March 31, 2020)
Vienna – Alghero – Vienna (2x Week from March 29, 2020)
Vienna – Milan Malpensa – Vienna (Daily from March 29, 2020)
Vienna – Santander – Vienna (2x Week from March 30, 2020)

https://www.fly4free.com/flight-deals/e ... hELro5RHJI
 
flyingbird
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:21 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:07 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Is there any reason why they serve those secondary Norwegian airports only from the North (Gdansk) and South (Krakow) and not from Warsaw?

Is it because people from Warsaw migrate less to Norway or other developed countries? (which makes sense because of the "capital effect"?


Generally when people from Poland migrate abroad they pick mainland Europe with UK and Germany at the top. But when people from northern Poland migrate they often pick Scandinavia because of distance and ferry connections. And when people from Sweden go for a weekend trip they often pick Gdansk or Krakow because these cities offer what people want to do during a weekend trip. Capital city Warsaw is not so attractive for a weekend trip.
 
Blerg
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:18 am

EIBPI wrote:
The Vienna war continues with Ryanair/Lauda launching a bunch of new routes:
Image

Vienna – Lappeenranta – Vienna (2x Week from March 29, 2020)
Vienna – Helsinki – Vienna (Daily from March 29, 2020)
Vienna – Tallin – Vienna (3x Week from March 31, 2020)
Vienna – Bristol – Vienna (2x Week from March 29, 2020)
Vienna – Banja Luka – Vienna (2x Week from March 30, 2020)
Vienna – Burgas – Vienna (2x Week from March 31, 2020)
Vienna – Skiathos – Vienna (2x Week from May 2, 2020)
Vienna – Kefalonia – Vienna (2x Week from May 2, 2020)
Vienna – Dubrovnik – Vienna (2x Week from March 29, 2020)
Vienna – Brindisi – Vienna (5x Week from March 29, 2020)
Vienna – Lamezia Terme – Vienna (2x Week from March 31, 2020)
Vienna – Catania – Vienna (3x Week from March 31, 2020)
Vienna – Malta – Vienna (3x Week from March 30, 2020)
Vienna – Palermo – Vienna (3x Week from March 31, 2020)
Vienna – Alghero – Vienna (2x Week from March 29, 2020)
Vienna – Milan Malpensa – Vienna (Daily from March 29, 2020)
Vienna – Santander – Vienna (2x Week from March 30, 2020)

https://www.fly4free.com/flight-deals/e ... hELro5RHJI


This is going to be bad, no one will make money in Vienna so let's see who lasts the longest.

Didn't Level try MXP only to cut it?

Also, isn't W6 adding more planes to Vienna?
 
EIBPI
Topic Author
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:24 am

Yes, W6 is growing VIE to 8 aircraft by July 2020. I wouldn’t be surprised to see further growth announced soon.
 
Blerg
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:29 am

EIBPI wrote:
Yes, W6 is growing VIE to 8 aircraft by July 2020. I wouldn’t be surprised to see further growth announced soon.


But how much can they grow before VIE reaches its maximum capacity?
 
MCTSET
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:45 am

Do you think the 321 and the neo will give them a significant cost advantage too Lauda?
 
EIBPI
Topic Author
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:39 pm

A third aircraft added to the Iasi base from 1 August 2020.

New routes: Barcelona, Bari, Berlin Schönefeld, London Southend, Turin and Verona.
Frequency increases to Rome Ciampino, Bologna, Brussels Charleroi and Tel Aviv.

https://wizzair.com/en-gb/information-a ... new-routes
 
EIBPI
Topic Author
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:40 pm

Blerg wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
Yes, W6 is growing VIE to 8 aircraft by July 2020. I wouldn’t be surprised to see further growth announced soon.


But how much can they grow before VIE reaches its maximum capacity?


I don't believe VIE is capacity constrained at present.
 
Blerg
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:42 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Blerg wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
Yes, W6 is growing VIE to 8 aircraft by July 2020. I wouldn’t be surprised to see further growth announced soon.


But how much can they grow before VIE reaches its maximum capacity?


I don't believe VIE is capacity constrained at present.


Maybe not now but how much longer before gates become an issue. Also what's the current capacity of VIE?
 
MCTSET
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:44 pm

EIBPI wrote:
A third aircraft added to the Iasi base from 1 August 2020.

New routes: Barcelona, Bari, Berlin Schönefeld, London Southend, Turin and Verona.
Frequency increases to Rome Ciampino, Bologna, Brussels Charleroi and Tel Aviv.

https://wizzair.com/en-gb/information-a ... new-routes


Interesting addition is Southend, do you guys think because of current capacity at Luton, future expansion in London may be primarily targeted at Southend.
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:16 pm

MCTSET wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
A third aircraft added to the Iasi base from 1 August 2020.

New routes: Barcelona, Bari, Berlin Schönefeld, London Southend, Turin and Verona.
Frequency increases to Rome Ciampino, Bologna, Brussels Charleroi and Tel Aviv.

https://wizzair.com/en-gb/information-a ... new-routes


Interesting addition is Southend, do you guys think because of current capacity at Luton, future expansion in London may be primarily targeted at Southend.


If Wizz Air gets Gatwick slots then it may base 1 or 2 aircraft there. Southend and East London/Essex is targeting locals not tourists as much - hence the initial routes being Bucharest, Sibiu, Vilnius and now Iasi.

Wizz can't grow too much at Luton until 2023. Gatwick and Southend will be the future but will be at off peak slots (late night)
 
jghealey
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:20 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
MCTSET wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
A third aircraft added to the Iasi base from 1 August 2020.

New routes: Barcelona, Bari, Berlin Schönefeld, London Southend, Turin and Verona.
Frequency increases to Rome Ciampino, Bologna, Brussels Charleroi and Tel Aviv.

https://wizzair.com/en-gb/information-a ... new-routes


Interesting addition is Southend, do you guys think because of current capacity at Luton, future expansion in London may be primarily targeted at Southend.


If Wizz Air gets Gatwick slots then it may base 1 or 2 aircraft there. Southend and East London/Essex is targeting locals not tourists as much - hence the initial routes being Bucharest, Sibiu, Vilnius and now Iasi.

Wizz can't grow too much at Luton until 2023. Gatwick and Southend will be the future but will be at off peak slots (late night)


I doubt they would open a base at Gatwick with just 1 or 2 aircraft, but there could definitely be an opportunity for other routes where aircraft are coming from other bases (like at SEN)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
 
MCTSET
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:15 am

Wizz air announces new routes out of Zaporizhzhya Ukraine. They will fly too: Budapest, Vienna, krakow, wroclaw, Gdansk and Vilnius all twice weekly.

From current trends we should wait 24 hours before ryanair announce routes from Zaporizhzhya. :D
 
User avatar
Phosphorus
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 11:38 am

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:24 pm

MCTSET wrote:
Wizz air announces new routes out of Zaporizhzhya Ukraine. They will fly too: Budapest, Vienna, krakow, wroclaw, Gdansk and Vilnius all twice weekly.

From current trends we should wait 24 hours before ryanair announce routes from Zaporizhzhya. :D


Well, Ryanair has a mover advantage on this chessboard now -- a few days ago, they announced opening of flights to Kherson still this year. So, we are not only waiting for Ryanair to announce Zaporizhzhia, we are anxious for an announcement of WizzAir flights to Kherson, too! :)
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam
 
MCTSET
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:02 pm

Phosphorus wrote:
MCTSET wrote:
Wizz air announces new routes out of Zaporizhzhya Ukraine. They will fly too: Budapest, Vienna, krakow, wroclaw, Gdansk and Vilnius all twice weekly.

From current trends we should wait 24 hours before ryanair announce routes from Zaporizhzhya. :D


Well, Ryanair has a mover advantage on this chessboard now -- a few days ago, they announced opening of flights to Kherson still this year. So, we are not only waiting for Ryanair to announce Zaporizhzhia, we are anxious for an announcement of WizzAir flights to Kherson, too! :)


Do you think there is a non declared war between wizz and Ryanair? For them to be both purposely trashing each others yield while ignoring potential open markets seems strange.

Especially when Ryanair isn't in a position to expand, so any limited capacity they have they are dumping it on new wizz markets.
 
User avatar
Phosphorus
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 11:38 am

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:33 pm

Well, both are in relatively uncharted territories, while moving further East. I would not be surprised that places like OZH and KHE were first off the radar for both; then on the drawing board for both more or less simultaneously.
Both airlines are reaching for traffic, in this particular case, that they could not easily quantify in advance. So yes, there is a non-zero opportunity that once one of the airlines makes a move towards a formerly unflown destination, the other might be thinking "these guys have a piece of information that I don't -- and this piece makes this destination worthwhile".

And no, I don't believe they are consciously trying to make each other bleed. They just want to grab the cake themselves. Whether that means they swing their table utensils too aggressively, hurting themselves and other in the process -- that's a different question.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam
 
P1aneMad
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:36 pm

FR according to its boss was supposed to have almost 60 MAXes by Summer 2020.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ch-459960/
So unless the aircraft returns to service fast a lot of its schedule will have to readjust.
I think most of their planned expansion is for 2020 summer season so they have some time left before cutting routes and frequencies.
W6 on the other hand has no such issues holding them back.
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:38 pm

Perhaps worth mentioning that Zaporizhia has a (almost) completely new terminal

I imagine that MotorSich as well as Dnipro airport might be getting a little nervous...
 
User avatar
Phosphorus
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 11:38 am

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:56 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Perhaps worth mentioning that Zaporizhia has a (almost) completely new terminal

I imagine that MotorSich as well as Dnipro airport might be getting a little nervous...


Fully agree for Dnipro airport. These guys have always overpriced their services and played favourite to the local airline too hard.

Motor-Sich? Those guys will be probably undisturbed by a competitor, flying routes to EU. Their network is mainly domestic. Probably, even will find some convenience out of it -- local public will be more used to air travel. Maybe even airport fees will get lower with more traffic.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam
 
MCTSET
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:35 pm

P1aneMad wrote:
FR according to its boss was supposed to have almost 60 MAXes by Summer 2020.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ch-459960/
So unless the aircraft returns to service fast a lot of its schedule will have to readjust.
I think most of their planned expansion is for 2020 summer season so they have some time left before cutting routes and frequencies.
W6 on the other hand has no such issues holding them back.



Even if they ungrounded tomorrow 60 aircraft by summer seems close to impossible, both on the Boeing side and on the ryanair side. Also W6 is slightly constrained aswell with deliveries of the neo, to the point in which I heard In an earnings call that next year they will take delivery of the a320neo over the prefered 321neo, due to more reliable deliveries.
 
MCTSET
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:23 pm

Wizz air recorded €300 million euro profit in the 2nd quarter up to September, representing a 30% growth from last year.

This is really impressive as capacity has increased by less than that, indicating an increase in margins, which is quite an achievement in this current market. What is wizz doing right that the others aren't?
 
User avatar
Phosphorus
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 11:38 am

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:38 pm

I don't know what they are doing right, but sometimes what they are saying is incredible:

https://simpleflying.com/wizz-ceo-ban-business-class/

Quote:
“Business class should be banned. These passengers account for twice the carbon footprint of an economy passenger, and the industry is guilty of preserving an inefficient and archaic model. A rethink is long overdue, and we call on fellow airlines to commit to a total ban on business class travel for any flight under five hours.”

Interesting. First, airlines are decreasing seat size: pitch and width. To those of us with long legs and thick build, the crowd screams "buy yourself a business class seat". The same crowd applauds these same airlines for making a lot of money, by cramming us in, like sardines: "They are doing it right!".

Now, CEO of an airline, that is among leaders in "squeeze them in" game, goes all holy and innocent, and starts shaming airlines, who still offer better seats. I wonder, how the crowd responds to this. Oh, no, I don't wonder. He's waving a green flag, so the crowd will be probably ecstatic...
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam
 
pdp
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:50 pm

MCTSET wrote:
Wizz air recorded €300 million euro profit in the 2nd quarter up to September, representing a 30% growth from last year.

This is really impressive as capacity has increased by less than that, indicating an increase in margins, which is quite an achievement in this current market. What is wizz doing right that the others aren't?


Wizz is very much the dominant force in Eastern Europe right now. Combined with a gradual move to A321s and offering often higher frequency than FR means they flood the market.

Look at LUZ. Once FR had the upper hand, but when W6 (as it was then) moved to daily or almost daily (mostly on an A321) as they moved the base to Luton FR shrank away to nothing from STN.
 
MCTSET
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:26 pm

pdp wrote:
MCTSET wrote:
Wizz air recorded €300 million euro profit in the 2nd quarter up to September, representing a 30% growth from last year.

This is really impressive as capacity has increased by less than that, indicating an increase in margins, which is quite an achievement in this current market. What is wizz doing right that the others aren't?


Wizz is very much the dominant force in Eastern Europe right now. Combined with a gradual move to A321s and offering often higher frequency than FR means they flood the market.

Look at LUZ. Once FR had the upper hand, but when W6 (as it was then) moved to daily or almost daily (mostly on an A321) as they moved the base to Luton FR shrank away to nothing from STN.



They claim to have the lowest CASK/M in Europe, even more than ryanair do you think this is possible?
 
Blerg
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:55 am

MCTSET wrote:
pdp wrote:
MCTSET wrote:
Wizz air recorded €300 million euro profit in the 2nd quarter up to September, representing a 30% growth from last year.

This is really impressive as capacity has increased by less than that, indicating an increase in margins, which is quite an achievement in this current market. What is wizz doing right that the others aren't?


Wizz is very much the dominant force in Eastern Europe right now. Combined with a gradual move to A321s and offering often higher frequency than FR means they flood the market.

Look at LUZ. Once FR had the upper hand, but when W6 (as it was then) moved to daily or almost daily (mostly on an A321) as they moved the base to Luton FR shrank away to nothing from STN.



They claim to have the lowest CASK/M in Europe, even more than ryanair do you think this is possible?


Well the fact that they are almost exclusively based in eastern Europe helps them since wages are considerably lower. Furthermore, I suppose eastern European airports are more willing to lower their charges for Wizz Air. Look at BUD, I think it was last year they finally managed to record a profit after a decade! So it took them ten years and 15 million passengers. This can only indicate that Wizz Air isn't paying much to fly from there.

Another thing that Wizz Air has going for them is that they mostly fly to secondary airports in Western Europe while Ryanair has launched primary airports (AMS, FRA, BCN, MAD...) a while ago. With Wizz Air expanding more and more at airports like Vienna or Milan Malpensa, their costs will slowly start growing. In a way they are where Ryanair was some ten years ago.
 
holczakker
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:15 am

Wizz is using primary airports like BCN, MAD, FCO, MXP, FRA, HAM, GLA, VIE, BHX, CGN, SXF, WAW, OSL, LIS, NAP etc etc for a long time (and will start using BRU soon). The only notable exceptions are CDG, LHR, AMS, MUC, MAN, ZRH and ARN.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos