Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blerg

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:22 am

In other news, Wizz Air cancels all flights to Odessa for a period of 2.5 month, from 26.03 to 05.06. Routes that will be temporarily suspended are: Berlin, Budapest, Bratislava, Gdansk, Katowice and Wroclaw.

Wizz Air stated it's because of runway works but other airlines operate normally from what I've seen.

Source: https://www.avianews.com/ukraine/2020/0 ... to_odessa/

Meanwhile Ryanair has stepped in with rescue fares both from Odessa and Luton for passengers who were affected:
https://www.avianews.com/ukraine/2020/0 ... om_odessa/

myki

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:06 am

Blerg wrote:
CLJ-DWC suspended from June to September
Interesting that Cluj has seen such reductions, it's not a small market after all.

When you open the oven door to check on the cake you are baking and are blasted by a furnace of hot air, that is the UAE in June-September. They wouldnt be getting the tourist market to DWC at this time.

Blerg

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:17 am

myki wrote:
Blerg wrote:
CLJ-DWC suspended from June to September
Interesting that Cluj has seen such reductions, it's not a small market after all.

When you open the oven door to check on the cake you are baking and are blasted by a furnace of hot air, that is the UAE in June-September. They wouldnt be getting the tourist market to DWC at this time.

There is a large Balkan and eastern European diaspora in Dubai so my guess is that is their key market during those months. I suppose there aren't enough people from the Cluj area in Dubai to justify flights in summer.

Blerg

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:12 pm

Capacity from Wizz Air's Kiev-FRA will be shifted to Kiev-SXF which will be increased from 7 to 12 weekly flights.

https://www.avianews.com/ukraine/2020/0 ... ev_berlin/

Phosphorus

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:24 pm

Blerg wrote:
Capacity from Wizz Air's Kiev-FRA will be shifted to Kiev-SXF which will be increased from 7 to 12 weekly flights.

Interesting. KBP-FRA was already reduced to once daily on PS; and this once daily is fairly consistently packed (to the point of overbooking). Now Wizz withdraws. LH will be gradually upping their fares, probably, as they are the only ones on the route with a reasonable capacity and flexibility.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

Blerg

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:52 pm

Phosphorus wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Interesting. KBP-FRA was already reduced to once daily on PS; and this once daily is fairly consistently packed (to the point of overbooking). Now Wizz withdraws. LH will be gradually upping their fares, probably, as they are the only ones on the route with a reasonable capacity and flexibility.

My guess is that PS carried mostly lower yielding transfer passengers so they scaled it back to a level where they can manage it. As for Lufthansa, they will no doubt profit the most from the situation.

Blerg

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:02 pm

Wizz Air adds four weekly BTS-LED onboard A321 from 01.06.2020.

W67612 LED1230 – 1410BTS 321 x246
W67611 BTS0820 – 1155LED 321 x246

Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... rk-in-s20/

Blerg

Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:38 am

Starting from 01.06.2020 Wizz Air will be discontinuing Luton-Prague flights. Flights have already been removed from the system.

SMKCosmopolitan

Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:13 pm

Wizz Air just announced two new routes from Poland: Katowice-Palma de Mallorca (seasonal) and Gdansk-Skelleftea, both to be served twice per week. Impressive growth from Gdansk this year, especially towards Scandinavia!

Sources: Wizz Air booking engine

MCTSET

Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:27 pm

Blerg wrote:
Starting from 01.06.2020 Wizz Air will be discontinuing Luton-Prague flights. Flights have already been removed from the system.

So is that just bad performance from the route, which surprises me how can they not fill a 320 from London, to a city like Prague??

Blerg

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:02 pm

MCTSET wrote:
Blerg wrote:

So is that just bad performance from the route, which surprises me how can they not fill a 320 from London, to a city like Prague??

Maybe they need the plane elsewhere? From what I've seen they have daily flights in May. Also they closed their Prague base a while ago so they don't seem to be too successful there.

myki

Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:13 am

New routes (and some closures) on almost a daily basis! Amazing to keep up with it. Any word on the potential AUH flights?

pdp

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:57 am

Blerg wrote:
MCTSET wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Maybe they need the plane elsewhere? From what I've seen they have daily flights in May. Also they closed their Prague base a while ago so they don't seem to be too successful there.

Isn't Ryanair big in Prague? It might be a case of being unable to shift the competition.

Blerg

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:04 am

pdp wrote:
Blerg wrote:
MCTSET wrote:

Isn't Ryanair big in Prague? It might be a case of being unable to shift the competition.

They are but from what I've seen easyJet has a solid presence on the Prague-London market.

Coma993

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:19 am

myki wrote:
New routes (and some closures) on almost a daily basis! Amazing to keep up with it. Any word on the potential AUH flights?

So far, nothing is confirmed, overheard some rumors that it might be BUD and MXP among the first two routes to be launched.

I guess they will first expand on the markets where the brand is recognized.

Blerg

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:21 am

Coma993 wrote:
myki wrote:

So far, nothing is confirmed, overheard some rumors that it might be BUD and MXP among the first two routes to be launched.

A lot of their DWC flights have to stop in Larnaca for refuelling and crew change. Could it be that AUH project is postponed until they can operate flights without stopping along the way? Unless they will first focus on regional flying from Abu Dhabi?

holczakker

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:32 am

Blerg wrote:
Coma993 wrote:
myki wrote:

A lot of their DWC flights have to stop in Larnaca for refuelling and crew change. Could it be that AUH project is postponed until they can operate flights without stopping along the way? Unless they will first focus on regional flying from Abu Dhabi?

The LCA fuel stops are done only until 04MAR.

holczakker

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:38 am

Blerg wrote:
MCTSET wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Luton reached the 18 million pax/year cap therefore no new ATMs are approved for now. It results routes being cancelled to be able to start new ones and operators moving flights to other airports (like El-Al to STN and Wizz to SEN). Most probably more money is to be made on the newly announced Canary flights than on the oversaturated Prague.

MCTSET

Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:42 pm

holczakker wrote:
Blerg wrote:
MCTSET wrote:

Luton reached the 18 million pax/year cap therefore no new ATMs are approved for now. It results routes being cancelled to be able to start new ones and operators moving flights to other airports (like El-Al to STN and Wizz to SEN). Most probably more money is to be made on the newly announced Canary flights than on the oversaturated Prague.

Makes sense, so future London growth is to be projected at London Southend.

MettP

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:09 pm

Wizz has long-term problems in Prague, as someone has mentioned already, they closed their base here a few years ago. However, the main reason for that wasn’t that the routes were unsuccessful, rather Wizz couldn’t bear that PRG airport required normal fees from them and generally didn’t provide them the “special status” they have on most airports in eastern Europe. They just didn’t realize that Prague is actually quite a rich city and the airport is really not dependent on Wizz in comparison with BUD or OTP. Closing of the LTN route is on one hand the consequence of Ryanair/EasyJet competition. On the other hand more and more Czechs don’t mind paying more for better BA service, as well as more people coming to Prague don’t have problem paying more for their flight, because Prague increasingly gets a different type of tourists than Warsaw or Bucharest.

I see the position of Wizz in PRG in the similar way as in western European cities. The won’t have a base here, but they will fly here from their eastern European bases, where they also recruit crew much easier. The evidence for this shift is also a recently opened PRG-KIV route and PRG-OTP route, which is starting in July.

holczakker

Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:57 pm

MettP wrote:
They just didn’t realize that Prague is actually quite a rich city and the airport is really not dependent on Wizz in comparison with BUD or OTP.

Is that why CSA is in a great shape (not) and was taken over by a famously dodgy and cheapskate operator?

Blerg

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:14 pm

holczakker wrote:
MettP wrote:
They just didn’t realize that Prague is actually quite a rich city and the airport is really not dependent on Wizz in comparison with BUD or OTP.

Is that why CSA is in a great shape (not) and was taken over by a famously dodgy and cheapskate operator?

What has OK's mismanagement got to do with how wealthy Prague is? Is Rome a poor market since Alitalia is struggling? Is ADD rich because ET is well run?

holczakker

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:09 pm

Blerg wrote:
holczakker wrote:
MettP wrote:

What has OK's mismanagement got to do with how wealthy Prague is? Is Rome a poor market since Alitalia is struggling? Is ADD rich because ET is well run?

My point exactly, thank you. Wizz doing bad or great in PRG has nothing to do how "rich" the city is. If that would be the case LCCs would not thrive in countries where the average income is 2-3-4 times bigger than the one of Czechia (like the UK, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Sweden, Iceland etc etc). It has more to do with low yields not worth fighting for while the assets can be used elsewhere to generate a lot bigger revenue.

marcogr12

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:57 pm

If that's the case with Wizz, why is FR taking Wizz's place in PRG?
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

holczakker

Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:51 am

marcogr12 wrote:

Some places work for FR, some places work for others. Why TSR, CRA, TZL, CLJ, LTN, BSL, EIN, BEG, SKP, DEB, DSA, SVG, BGO, KEF, LED, TKU, IAS, SCV and a lot of other places work for Wizz and not working for Ryanair? Simple business decisions, you can't be everywhere when your fleet expansion is limited.

Blerg

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:54 am

holczakker wrote:
Blerg wrote:
holczakker wrote:

My point exactly, thank you. Wizz doing bad or great in PRG has nothing to do how "rich" the city is. If that would be the case LCCs would not thrive in countries where the average income is 2-3-4 times bigger than the one of Czechia (like the UK, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Sweden, Iceland etc etc). It has more to do with low yields not worth fighting for while the assets can be used elsewhere to generate a lot bigger revenue.

Well the yields are not there for Wizz Air, I wouldn't qualify Prague as a low-yielding market. Matter of fact is that their product was rejected in Prague. We will have to see how they perform in some non-ethnic markets especially in western Europe. The jury on Vienna is still out and it remains to be seen what will happen and if they will manage to beat Lufthansa (via Austrian Airlines) and Ryanair (via Lauda).

Blerg

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:55 am

holczakker wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Some places work for FR, some places work for others. Why TSR, CRA, TZL, CLJ, LTN, BSL, EIN, BEG, SKP, DEB, DSA, SVG, BGO, KEF, LED, TKU, IAS, SCV and a lot of other places work for Wizz and not working for Ryanair? Simple business decisions, you can't be everywhere when your fleet expansion is limited.

Ryanair never tried flying out of BEG, TZL or SKP and a few other destinations you mentioned so don't mix apples and oranges please. You need to only mention cities where Ryanair withdrew from.

Blerg

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:01 am

In other news, Wizz Air's Skavsta-Kutaisi which was supposed to be launched on July 1st 2020 has been removed from the system. Have they changed their mind about it? Sweden has seen a lot of cuts recently so I wouldn't be surprised.

myki

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:58 am

Coma993 wrote:
myki wrote:

Yep would make sense to connect AUH with a current market already. Out of AUH to the eastern side Europe there is only BEG and IST daily, MSQ a few times a week, and RIX seasonal. That leaves loads of markets for them to have to themselves - Poland, Romania, Czech, Austria, Hungary, etc ...

Blerg

Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:21 am

myki wrote:
Coma993 wrote:
myki wrote:

Yep would make sense to connect AUH with a current market already. Out of AUH to the eastern side Europe there is only BEG and IST daily, MSQ a few times a week, and RIX seasonal. That leaves loads of markets for them to have to themselves - Poland, Romania, Czech, Austria, Hungary, etc ...

But is there really a market from AUH to those places? They could go after Dubai bound market but then in many places they would go against EK and FZ. In Sofia for example they cut flights to DWC while competing with FZ to DXB.

MCTSET

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:20 pm

Blerg wrote:
In other news, Wizz Air's Skavsta-Kutaisi which was supposed to be launched on July 1st 2020 has been removed from the system. Have they changed their mind about it? Sweden has seen a lot of cuts recently so I wouldn't be surprised.

Maybe it’s the increased costs and pressures of operating out of Sweden. W6 seems to really like the Norwegian market, not so much W9, probably because of Norwegian shuttle strong presence.

Blerg

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:28 pm

MCTSET wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Maybe it’s the increased costs and pressures of operating out of Sweden. W6 seems to really like the Norwegian market, not so much W9, probably because of Norwegian shuttle strong presence.

Could it be that the market is not that big to start with? I mean is there a large Georgian community around Stockholm and is Georgia popular as a tourist destination in Sweden? It probably doesn't help that the flight is long so costs are pretty high.

MCTSET

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Blerg wrote:
MCTSET wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Could it be that the market is not that big to start with? I mean is there a large Georgian community around Stockholm and is Georgia popular as a tourist destination in Sweden? It probably doesn't help that the flight is long so costs are pretty high.

Yes that is true but W6 are confident in their ability to stimulate demand and turn a profit as long as they have things there way (subsidies, slots etc.) that is what they are able to to with Kutaisi, which they are given free roam and have proven they are capable of moving masses. This is also why I think W6 was picked for the Abu Dhabi venture, they have proven this method, and I’m sure they though if W6 can move half a million people in kutaisi imagine what they can do with Abu Dhabi.

Blerg

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:45 pm

MCTSET wrote:
Blerg wrote:
MCTSET wrote:

Yes that is true but W6 are confident in their ability to stimulate demand and turn a profit as long as they have things there way (subsidies, slots etc.) that is what they are able to to with Kutaisi, which they are given free roam and have proven they are capable of moving masses. This is also why I think W6 was picked for the Abu Dhabi venture, they have proven this method, and I’m sure they though if W6 can move half a million people in kutaisi imagine what they can do with Abu Dhabi.

Maybe it also has to do with them being unable to overfly eastern Ukraine and Crimea and going around them from Sweden makes it unprofitable?

As for AUH, I think it depends in what direction they go. Personally I would love for them to expand regionally before Europe.

holczakker

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:26 pm

Blerg wrote:
holczakker wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Ryanair never tried flying out of BEG, TZL or SKP and a few other destinations you mentioned so don't mix apples and oranges please. You need to only mention cities where Ryanair withdrew from.

Please stop repeating this stupid apples and oranges thingy when there is no comparison listed but examples. Examples for a lot of places where FR did not even try yet (or doing business with half steam) because of being limited with aircraft. That simple.

Blerg

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:33 pm

holczakker wrote:
Blerg wrote:
holczakker wrote:

Please stop repeating this stupid apples and oranges thingy when there is no comparison listed but examples. Examples for a lot of places where FR did not even try yet (or doing business with half steam) because of being limited with aircraft. That simple.

What do you mean there were no comparisons when you literally compared Wizz Air and Ryanair. At times I have a feeling that you are Varadi given how fiery you are when it comes to Wizz Air, you defend them no matter what, even when it makes no sense.

holczakker

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:37 pm

Blerg wrote:
holczakker wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Matter of fact is that their product was rejected in Prague.

I call BS. PRG was working nicely (financially) as a single aircraft base. Later it was not working so nice as a two-aircraft base altough the load factor was there. What else could have been the problem other than the yields?? It went back to be a single aircraft base and worked out again. Then came the business decision not to have single aircraft bases (either to boost them or close them), that's when PRG, LUZ, KSC went. That simple again. The same case happened with BRQ/Brno where the loads were good but the yields were not (besides constant problems with fog) therefore it was ceased. The same "rich" (haha) country and the product was not rejected, just to the contrary, the airport was keen to keep those flights (and even tried to create their own airline with Blue Air to no avail when Wizz left).

Blerg

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:48 pm

holczakker wrote:
Blerg wrote:
holczakker wrote:

Matter of fact is that their product was rejected in Prague.

I call BS. PRG was working nicely (financially) as a single aircraft base. Later it was not working so nice as a two-aircraft base altough the load factor was there. What else could have been the problem other than the yields?? It went back to be a single aircraft base and worked out again. Then came the business decision not to have single aircraft bases (either to boost them or close them), that's when PRG, LUZ, KSC went. That simple again. The same case happened with BRQ/Brno where the loads were good but the yields were not (besides constant problems with fog) therefore it was ceased. The same "rich" (haha) country and the product was not rejected, just to the contrary, the airport was keen to keep those flights (and even tried to create their own airline with Blue Air to no avail when Wizz left).

If the loadfactor was there but yields were not then it means the market in Prague decided Wizz Air's product was not worth paying more to fly on. So Wizz Air packed and left. Other airlines can and are making money there, so something has to give.

Lebroncin

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:11 pm

holczakker wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Coma993 wrote:

Why does Wizz stop on the way back from DWC? Isnt it way in range from A321N? I would guess that a fuel stop would not be needed...

Blerg

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:31 pm

Lebroncin wrote:
holczakker wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Why does Wizz stop on the way back from DWC? Isnt it way in range from A321N? I would guess that a fuel stop would not be needed...

I think those stops were introduced after the Ukrainian jet was shot down by the Iranians. Many airlines have started avoiding the Iranian airspace.

Coma993

Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:36 pm

Lebroncin wrote:
holczakker wrote:
Blerg wrote:

They stop mainly because of crew change (they run out of duty time), but also to refuel. I’m not sure how are the winds affecting the flight, maybe a fully loaded A321N can’t make it all the way back with current routing. If it would be only duty time for the crew, I guess they would station some people in Dubai, like they do now in LCA.

Blerg

Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:27 am

Coma993 wrote:
Lebroncin wrote:
holczakker wrote:

They stop mainly because of crew change (they run out of duty time), but also to refuel. I’m not sure how are the winds affecting the flight, maybe a fully loaded A321N can’t make it all the way back with current routing. If it would be only duty time for the crew, I guess they would station some people in Dubai, like they do now in LCA.

I don't think it's the crew because FZ flies to places like Bucharest, Catania, Belgrade, Bratislava... and they don't need to stop along the way to change their crew.

Coma993

Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:02 am

Blerg wrote:
Coma993 wrote:

I don't think it's the crew because FZ flies to places like Bucharest, Catania, Belgrade, Bratislava... and they don't need to stop along the way to change their crew.

Well, FZ didn’t change their routing radically, like W6 did, if you take a look on FR24, you can see that those 2 take drastically different flight path. One think I know is that in UAE flight time limitations are different than in Europe. FZ does have layovers on their longer flights, just not in Belgrade.

Blerg

Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:58 am

Coma993 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Coma993 wrote:

Well, FZ didn’t change their routing radically, like W6 did, if you take a look on FR24, you can see that those 2 take drastically different flight path. One think I know is that in UAE flight time limitations are different than in Europe. FZ does have layovers on their longer flights, just not in Belgrade.

Well if you look above you will see that I wrote that they changed their flight path to Dubai which forced them to introduce LCA stops. As for FZ, they have crew changes at their final destination, they don't do it in the middle.

myki

Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:15 am

BT were also doing the same (not sure if it has continued)... RIX-AUH direct, and on the return leg is AUH-LCA-RIX

Coma993

Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:17 am

Starting today, flights will operate with a normal (direct routing), without a LCA stop.

Blerg

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:35 am

In the period 11.03 to 02.04, Wizz Air will be considerably shrinking its Italian operations. Number of weekly flights will drop from 270-280 to just 112.

List of reduced destinations can be found here: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-27feb20/

myki

Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:30 am

No actual date given, but aiming for an Autumn start for AUH.

https://www.thenational.ae/business/avi ... n-1.986932

EIBPI
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:21 am

A number of TLV flights are being dropped.

They have just advertised a lot of jobs for the AUH operation.

Blerg

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:25 am

EIBPI wrote:
A number of TLV flights are being dropped.

They have just advertised a lot of jobs for the AUH operation.

Do you know which ones they are dropping? I know Ryanair also dropped Bucharest-Tel Aviv.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos