Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blerg

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:35 am

EIBPI wrote:
A number of TLV flights are being dropped.

They have just advertised a lot of jobs for the AUH operation.

I just checked online and TLV is not loaded from any destination for winter 2020. It might be still early as we have not even entered the summer season.

From what I see, Riga-Tel Aviv is being cut from 29.05.2020.

myki

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:45 pm

Ahh, we were so close to finding out where and when the AUH ops would take Wizz too ... https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN20V079

Any insiders have any tips they can hint at (as opposed to guesses)?

MCTSET

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:55 pm

myki wrote:
Ahh, we were so close to finding out where and when the AUH ops would take Wizz too ... https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN20V079

Any insiders have any tips they can hint at (as opposed to guesses)?

Guess we just have to wait. I predict first routes will be to destinations they already serve and know, probably there main bases in CEE.

amdiesen

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:00 am

holczakker wrote:

proverb: 'Its better to be lucky than to be good'
William Franke and his team appear to be both.
The tone of the Indigo question may have changed, but it's the same question, "What will we do with all this cash"

SMKCosmopolitan

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:03 am

amdiesen wrote:
holczakker wrote:

The tone of the Indigo question may have changed, but it's the same question, "What will we do with all this cash"

Interestingly, their stock price has tumbled by 6.25% intraday so far. I'm wondering whether it's due to the Indigo sale mentioned above, even though the sale price seems way above their current market price (which in turn I believe to insanely undervalue the company - it should be noted though that I'm biased as a shareholder^^).

Potentially, Wizz Air will be able to benefit from some airline bankruptcies in Eastern Europe (TAROM, Blue Air, Ukraine International Airlines etc.) and emerge as even stronger player in the long-run. Their cash reserves of approximately 1.3bn € should be largely sufficient to cope with a grounding of several months I suppose.

CRJ900

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:24 am

Norwegian TV2 news channel reports that Wizz is suspending flights to/from Norway starting from today and until 03 April due to corona virus.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

BoardingPass

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:22 pm

Wizz Air will fly tomorrow from BUD to PVG via TSE, flight W69011 operated with HA-LVH.

Return to BUD on Monday via IKT and TSE - cargo only.

amdiesen

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:00 am

SMKCosmopolitan wrote:
amdiesen wrote:
holczakker wrote:

Interestingly, their stock price has tumbled by 6.25% intra-day so far. I'm wondering whether it's due to the Indigo sale mentioned above, even though the sale price seems way above their current market price (which in turn I believe to insanely undervalue the company - it should be noted though that I'm biased as a shareholder^^).

Potentially, Wizz Air will be able to benefit from some airline bankruptcies in Eastern Europe (TAROM, Blue Air, Ukraine International Airlines etc.) and emerge as even stronger player in the long-run. Their cash reserves of approximately 1.3bn € should be largely sufficient to cope with a grounding of several months I suppose.

Understood. Respects to the market fluctuations and the impact of an outlier on the stockholders. My thesis has been that the Airlines, despite being in an industry with highly elastic demand, had fallen into complacency. Moth-balling defense measures that seasoned c-suiters had learned the hard way. Average fleet age was mis-understood, esp. the advantages of having an older portion of the fleet to mitigate the economic impact of fat-tail events.

Bill Franke and Indigo sold portions of their Wizz holdings, pre-covid, as a means of meeting regulatory ownership objectives? IE they were lucky in their timing. It appears that Mr. Franke and team are gearing up for buying opportunities while playing defense on a daily basis.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fron ... SKBN2171A4

parrotta

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:57 pm

BoardingPass wrote:
Wizz Air will fly tomorrow from BUD to PVG via TSE, flight W69011 operated with HA-LVH.

Return to BUD on Monday via IKT and TSE - cargo only.

it is flying already. https://www.flightradar24.com/WZZ9012/243eff04

will bring medical stuff

lesfalls

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:13 pm

A bit off topic but does anyone know why Wizz has a big office in Geneva? I found a lot of their employees are based in the city and never understood how come considering Budapest being their main base and one of Europes next up and coming cities (with Prague being the bigger market in Southern Europe of course).

Some info:
World Trade Center 1 Geneva International Airport Geneva 15, 1215 Switzerland
https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/WZZAF:US
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

DUSZRH

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:31 am

Tax reasons?! I read their entire VIE operation is employed in Geneva....

parrotta

Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:04 pm

DUSZRH wrote:
Tax reasons?! I read their entire VIE operation is employed in Geneva....

its very smartly structured tax reasons :)
most operations and Wizz holding is registered in Budapest Hungary and some services in GVA CH. I think IAG and BA is doing similar.

parrotta

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:55 pm

WizzAir flies covid passenger rescue flights tommorrow with A321neos

BUD-KEF-MIA-ORD-YYZ-BUD and BUD-KEF-JFK-LAX-JFK-BUD

tickets 880 and 1200 USD 1way. Might be the most expensive wizzair tickets for oneway :)

Aeroflot777

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:30 pm

parrotta wrote:
BUD-KEF-MIA-ORD-YYZ-BUD and BUD-KEF-JFK-LAX-JFK-BUD

Those are some super long flights as far as comfort goes... the seats on their aircraft are less than desirable for anything longer than 3-4 hours. Not to mention the leg room. But desperate times call for desperate measures!

Blerg

Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:33 pm

I don't get it so someone who is in Miami and needs to go home to Budapest, he must endure the horror of flying first to Chicago then Toronto and then all the way to Budapest? Can A321neo even make it without a stop if it is fully loaded?

Blerg

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:32 pm

Anyone know how Wizz Air is coping with corona? Have they estimated how much it will cost them?

myki

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:54 pm

Blerg wrote:
Anyone know how Wizz Air is coping with corona? Have they estimated how much it will cost them?

Let's just say it's lucky they didn't start up their Abu Dhabi base. I think they only got as far as advertising for some roles, but that's it.

Phosphorus

Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:21 pm

Blerg wrote:

Their CEO gave a fairly smug interview to Hungarian press a couple of weeks ago.
A rehash in Russian is available here:
https://cfts.org.ua/news/2020/03/24/moz ... _air_57926
Key takeaways:
COVID-19 is somewhat overblown
Wizz Air is well positioned to ride it out -- they can literally "survive for three more years without flying". 1.5 bn Euro cushion is there to help that
Most competitors are dead in 1-2 months of no flying and no government handouts
Intends to continue inducting new frames, to be better positioned, when markets reopen
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

Blerg

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:57 am

Phosphorus wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Their CEO gave a fairly smug interview to Hungarian press a couple of weeks ago.
Key takeaways:
Wizz Air is well positioned to ride it out -- they can literally "survive for three more years without flying". 1.5 bn Euro cushion is there to help that
Intends to continue inducting new frames, to be better positioned, when markets reopen

Cute. Maybe he shouldn't be as arrogant as it's not just about not flying for three months, it's also about surviving until demand picks up so that they can get back the passenger volume without which they would be dead. I also wonder what will become of their network, there were major cuts in Romania even before corona, same in Bulgaria and Prague. On top of that there is still Vienna where they are the smallest of the big players and are extremely aggressive. I think operations should start resuming from May so let's see what makes it in the end.

Phosphorus

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:22 am

Blerg wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Key takeaways:

Cute. Maybe he shouldn't be as arrogant as it's not just about not flying for three months, it's also about surviving until demand picks up so that they can get back the passenger volume without which they would be dead. I also wonder what will become of their network, there were major cuts in Romania even before corona, same in Bulgaria and Prague. On top of that there is still Vienna where they are the smallest of the big players and are extremely aggressive. I think operations should start resuming from May so let's see what makes it in the end.

True. Even if flying magically would be legal from tomorrow, COVID-19 dissipated, etc. -- it would still not be rainbows and unicorns. Air travel would be restarting in new circumstances, and baseline would be totally different.

But, for the record -- he speaks about three years of no flying. That's a lot of ability to absorb damage; I wonder if he means staff layoffs, or does he intend to continue paying his staff in the meantime.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777

f4f3a

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:35 am

This guy is talking rubbish . Every month they don't fly they have to refund all tickets for that month. Also values of owned a/c that have no resale value at the moment . cash in the bank includes future flights that have been sold . The bigger the carrier the bigger the financial pain. Only if they had the ability to get rid of all staff and aircraft costs etc for this period . Then maybe wizz air as a holding might survive but not intact

Armodeen

Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:19 am

Wizz was one of the best placed airlines in Europe financially before this, with plenty of liquidity compared to many of the others. If anyone will survive this it is gonna be Wizz.

Blerg

Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:36 pm

Phosphorus wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:
Key takeaways:

True. Even if flying magically would be legal from tomorrow, COVID-19 dissipated, etc. -- it would still not be rainbows and unicorns. Air travel would be restarting in new circumstances, and baseline would be totally different.

But, for the record -- he speaks about three years of no flying. That's a lot of ability to absorb damage; I wonder if he means staff layoffs, or does he intend to continue paying his staff in the meantime.

Given the circumstances, seems like there won't be a summer season this year which will be a problem for many, Wizz Air included. That's when everyone makes most of their money. It's one thing to not fly but it's another to operate loss-making flights until loads and yields improve. Like that a business burns through their reserves much faster. We will have to wait and see what happens in the end.

From what I know he's paying his staff 50% of their salary in order to avoid layoffs.

Blerg

Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:38 pm

Armodeen wrote:
Wizz was one of the best placed airlines in Europe financially before this, with plenty of liquidity compared to many of the others. If anyone will survive this it is gonna be Wizz.

And what happens once all this passes and when they have to face their competition which got state aid? They will be in a much better position to compete against them. Sure, Wizz Air will weather this storm but I think what comes after is more important than what we are seeing now.

Armodeen

Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:41 pm

Blerg wrote:
Armodeen wrote:

And what happens once all this passes and when they have to face their competition which got state aid? They will be in a much better position to compete against them. Sure, Wizz Air will weather this storm but I think what comes after is more important than what we are seeing now.

State aid isn't an I win though, it often comes with conditions that hold back a business for years to come until they can shed the terms they had to accept. It's better to survive without a bailout than with one, tbh.

Blerg

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:36 am

Armodeen wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Armodeen wrote:

State aid isn't an I win though, it often comes with conditions that hold back a business for years to come until they can shed the terms they had to accept. It's better to survive without a bailout than with one, tbh.

What you are referring to is the standard EU aid package to government owned companies. That's not what's happening right here right now. These are not normal times so governments are allowed to provide financial aid for their airlines without any terms and conditions. Just the other day the Latvian government provided airBaltic with a €150.000.000 lifeline and no strings attached. Wizz Air and airBaltic compete in both Riga and Vilnius.

Phosphorus

Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:14 am

Right. So Wizz Air CEO also gave an interview to Bloomberg last week:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -to-airbus
Key takeaways appear the same, though numbers are slightly different -- 1.5 years without flying as an acceptable option, etc.
One thing that sounded more pronounced -- he is expecting some competition to fail as a condition for Wizz Air growing, going forward.

parrotta

Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:08 pm

It seems all 8 321 NEOs became cargo planes between BUD and China.

Blerg

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:18 pm

After a series of interviews by their CEO, here comes the reality.

Wizz Air to...

- Flight crew and office personnel to get a 14% cut in salaries
- 1.000 people to be laid off
- Airline's high ranking employees to get a 22% cut in salaries (board members, directors...)
- Airline will return some of the older A320s in order to reduce costs
- W6 currently operates at 3% capacity and passenger numbers are down by 34%

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -cuts.html

First they said they can go on for 3 years without flying only to revise their statement and make it 1.5 years. Then Varadi claimed many airlines won't make it and how they are fine because they are sitting on top of billions... then two weeks later we get to read such news. I guess they shouldn't have been as arrogant during such hard times.

#prayforwizzair

davidjohnson6

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:35 pm

Just because a company has reserves and could last a long time, does not mean that they want to spend their reserves. The point of saying "we have huge reserves, we can manage" was to maintain confidence in the company by suppliers and customers
Every airline right now is trying to cut costs, save money and hold onto those reserves

Blerg

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:39 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Just because a company has reserves and could last a long time, does not mean that they want to spend their reserves. The point of saying "we have huge reserves, we can manage" was to maintain confidence in the company by suppliers and customers
Every airline right now is trying to cut costs, save money and hold onto those reserves

Yes, it really makes me confident when a business says they have billions and can stay in business this long only to revise that forecast a week later by cutting it in half. So what changed? Where did these extra expenses come from?

davidjohnson6

Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:01 pm

It's not about *extra* expenses - it's about existing things they are paying for (i.e. lots of staff) which senior management have decided they no longer need and thus don't want to pay for. From the social side, this is not nice at all - but when there is a significant fall in revenues and number of customers, the first thing most companies do is to cust staff costs
Banks and leasing companies have access to expensive lawyers and can make lots of trouble in court. Employees don't. Customers and suppliers quickly forget if staff numbers are cut during an economic slowdown. If they see headlines saying "Airline XYZ lost US$300 million in 6 months", they get nervous about the airline - even if the airline has $3 billion in reserves
I imagine that senior management at most airlines will view a lot of the junior staff (e.g. cabin crew) as expendable

holczakker

Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:28 pm

Yep, the empty bluff of "everything will be back to normal by May" did not work out. Bashing other airlines asking for government help will backifre when Wizz joins the back of the the queue, very much so. 265 pilots, 700 cabin crew members and 40 office staff made redundant, the rest can continue (for now) with reduced hours/pay.

Blerg

Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:58 am

holczakker wrote:
Yep, the empty bluff of "everything will be back to normal by May" did not work out. Bashing other airlines asking for government help will backifre when Wizz joins the back of the the queue, very much so. 265 pilots, 700 cabin crew members and 40 office staff made redundant, the rest can continue (for now) with reduced hours/pay.

Do you know in which bases they cut their working staff? I suppose office staff is in Budapest though they do have offices in Switzerland.

Maybe eventually they will ask Hungary for help though I don't know why Budapest should pay for their operations elsewhere.

Blerg

Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:42 pm

Since they started firing pilots and cabin crew, have they started suspending or reducing routes?

PatrickZ80

Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:05 pm

Blerg wrote:
Maybe eventually they will ask Hungary for help though I don't know why Budapest should pay for their operations elsewhere.

As far as I'm aware, companies that lay off staff are not entitled to government support. At least, that's the case in the Netherlands. Don't know how this is arranged in other countries.

Blerg wrote:
Since they started firing pilots and cabin crew, have they started suspending or reducing routes?

Not only have they started, they barely got any routes left. Just like any European airline by the way. This all started months ago. Of course it all will be started up again once the Corona crisis is over, but for the moment nearly all routes are suspended and the few still operational are heavily reduced.

Blerg

Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:09 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

As far as I'm aware, companies that lay off staff are not entitled to government support. At least, that's the case in the Netherlands. Don't know how this is arranged in other countries.

Blerg wrote:

Not only have they started, they barely got any routes left. Just like any European airline by the way. This all started months ago. Of course it all will be started up again once the Corona crisis is over, but for the moment nearly all routes are suspended and the few still operational are heavily reduced.

I didn't mean if they are flying now, I know they have something like 3% of their routes being operated, I meant if they made any adjustments for what comes after? There is going to be much less demand in Europe and beyond. I am sure it won't be business as usual for them.

PatrickZ80

Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:54 pm

Blerg wrote:
I didn't mean if they are flying now, I know they have something like 3% of their routes being operated, I meant if they made any adjustments for what comes after? There is going to be much less demand in Europe and beyond. I am sure it won't be business as usual for them.

They expect it will be.

Here's a news article about it (in Dutch): https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... timistisch

Basically it says that their ambitious growth plans remain mostly intact. They are going through a difficult time right now, but they expect that after the Corona crisis is over they can achieve 15% growth per year like they did before. Also the launch of WizzAir Abu Dhabi will not be canceled.

Of 32 old aircraft the lease contract will not be prolonged. On the other hand the order for 270 new aircraft will not be postponed, they will take delivery of these aircraft as planned.

They expect that within 2 years (in 2022) the whole aviation sector will be back on the level where it was in 2019. People will not fly any less, that's just temporary. In the meanwhile they're looking at measures to only fill their aircraft for 2/3, keeping the middle seats empty. That way they can maintain social distancing.

f4f3a

Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:02 pm

I wonder with everyone retrenching the next couple years will Ryanair do opposite and expand into the void. With limited slots at many European airports it's going to be a huge opportunity

BMike

Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:46 pm

Blerg wrote:

As it can be seen in the Hungarian press, they got money by overpriced charter and medical flights. The only legal ways to get gov money is either this or nationalising.

myki

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:18 pm

The first round of destinations is just moving flights from DWC to AUH: https://www.anna.aero/2020/04/24/wizz-a ... and-sofia/

I understand this is all heresay for now, and not confirmed by Wizz Air yet, however it makes sense as they will already know the numbers of people travelling to these places.

holczakker

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:38 pm

It's simply because DWC might not open for the summer. Guess they don't want to use DXB instead hence the move of the existing flights to AUH.

holczakker

Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:24 pm

The rules of flying after the virus as imagined by Wizz Air. Leaving the middle seats empty (as it was hinted by their CEO before) is not mentioned as it would hurt their pocket. Cleaning during the 30 minutes ground time is not mentioned as it's impossible. Cleaning at the end of the day is OK but what about the four or six flights done during the day? You need to wear a mask but how can you eat or drink the beverages you bought on board with the nice contactless payment then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mVFOEaDrxI

PatrickZ80

Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:03 pm

holczakker wrote:
It's simply because DWC might not open for the summer. Guess they don't want to use DXB instead hence the move of the existing flights to AUH.

Not too sure of that. Here's a news article (in Dutch) saying they want to launch Wizzair Abu Dhabi earlier than originally planned:

https://www.upinthesky.nl/2020/04/27/wi ... -lanceren/

Basically it says that they first planned to launch Wizzair Abu Dhabi in the fall, now they pulled it forward however the article doesn't say how far forward. From Abu Dhabi they're planning to launch routes to Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Africa.

So I figure moving these flights to Abu Dhabi is the first move in the launch of their new daughter airline there.

Blerg

Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:45 pm

I wonder what routes in Africa they might consider? I suppose Egypt is pretty high on the list though I don't know what is the status of the bilateral.

davidjohnson6

Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:59 pm

Can someone explain to me the overall idea of Wizz Abu Dhabi ? It seems like a bit of Abu Dhabi trying to outdo Dubai but not quite realising that there is a reason why Dubai gets over 3 times the number of pax. Etihad's fight against Emirates didn't end well for Abu Dhabi...

xwb777

Sun May 03, 2020 1:53 pm

Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces its route network. Starting from June 2020, Bucharest and Budapest will be linked to AUH and starting from September 2020, Sofia, Cluj Napoca will be served

Galwayman

Sun May 03, 2020 2:41 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Can someone explain to me the overall idea of Wizz Abu Dhabi ? It seems like a bit of Abu Dhabi trying to outdo Dubai but not quite realising that there is a reason why Dubai gets over 3 times the number of pax. Etihad's fight against Emirates didn't end well for Abu Dhabi...

I think it’s the opposite .

AUH has realised it can’t compete with DXB but it can have a strategy as an intercontinental LCC hub like SAW / STN / DUB

Presumably Ethiad will shrink to core routes Lon/Bkk/Oz etc which may in time be branded EK

Smart move IMHO ... looking forward to hearing more Wizz routes , they’re such a great airline and the A321 is perfect for this strategy

Blerg

Sun May 03, 2020 3:55 pm

Will Wizz Air keep on flying to those destinations from Dubai as well or will they just shift to Abu Dhabi?

SeanM1997

Sun May 03, 2020 4:45 pm

Blerg wrote:
Will Wizz Air keep on flying to those destinations from Dubai as well or will they just shift to Abu Dhabi?

Shift over - flights showing as "Sold Out" on Wizz Air's website

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos