spinotter

Re: UNITED airlines @ Schiphol

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:33 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
RetiredNWA wrote:
This is hardly a “big” presence.

Uh oh, calm down there buddy, sorry that scissor-hub operations aren't 'de rigeur' as they used to be... :roll:

De rigueur, please.

ITSTours

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:08 pm

A Dutch sandwich effect I guess? :P

United1

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:16 pm

Jetty wrote:
United1 wrote:
You can force united.com to connect you via AMS but the connection times are not all that convenient. Most of the flights Star has out of AMS are to places that already have non-stop service from EWR ect. They do sell a few connections but UAs flights are predominately O&D.

I'm not sure about the united.com, but flight search websites such as Google Flights regularly show a connection at AMS as the best US-Europe Star alliance option. IAH-ARN has the best connection time at AMS i.e. and isn't available non-stop: https://www.google.com/flights?lite=0&h ... 1;t:f;tt:o

When pier A is ready a connection at AMS might be the most convenient as well: short walking times and no security check as at most European Star hubs.

Don't get me wrong I love Amsterdam and going through AMS but it's not a preferred option for connecting passengers on UA. I ran your example through United.com and IAH-ARN will try and route you through LHR, FRA, MUC even CDG (IAH-EWR-CDG-ARN) before offering AMS as an option. Google is building an interline itinerary vs showing you a UA or Star itinerary.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

COEWR787

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:54 pm

Louis2 wrote:
Amsterdam has a very convenient train connection to all major cities in the Netherlands. It is far easier for business travel trough Schiphol than Brussel or Düsseldorf. Both have a railway station, but Schiphol is king.

Schiphol also has very good train connection to Brussels (Midi) both high speed Thalys and Regional. The Regionals even stop at Brussels National Airport!

Jetty

Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:04 pm

United1 wrote:
Jetty wrote:
United1 wrote:
You can force united.com to connect you via AMS but the connection times are not all that convenient. Most of the flights Star has out of AMS are to places that already have non-stop service from EWR ect. They do sell a few connections but UAs flights are predominately O&D.

I'm not sure about the united.com, but flight search websites such as Google Flights regularly show a connection at AMS as the best US-Europe Star alliance option. IAH-ARN has the best connection time at AMS i.e. and isn't available non-stop: https://www.google.com/flights?lite=0&h ... 1;t:f;tt:o

When pier A is ready a connection at AMS might be the most convenient as well: short walking times and no security check as at most European Star hubs.

Don't get me wrong I love Amsterdam and going through AMS but it's not a preferred option for connecting passengers on UA. I ran your example through United.com and IAH-ARN will try and route you through LHR, FRA, MUC even CDG (IAH-EWR-CDG-ARN) before offering AMS as an option.

I checked and noticed united.com indeed hides at least most of the AMS options. But these days I think many passengers search for flights using Google Flights, Skyscanner, Kayak etc. Those do turn up AMS options regularly.

Google is building an interline itinerary vs showing you a UA or Star itinerary.

The Star alliance website suggests an AMS transfer as best option and directs you to united.com to make that booking. http://booking.staralliance.com/en-GB/f ... 2019-09-12 UA even codeshares with SK on AMS-ARN (UA 7051). While united.com hides the option initially that makes it an UA and Star itinerary for all intents and purposes as far as I can see.

I'd be curious to know the actual Star transfer numbers, but don't think they are publicly available.

CFRPwingALbody

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:55 pm

COEWR787 wrote:
Louis2 wrote:
Amsterdam has a very convenient train connection to all major cities in the Netherlands. It is far easier for business travel trough Schiphol than Brussel or Düsseldorf. Both have a railway station, but Schiphol is king.

Schiphol also has very good train connection to Brussels (Midi) both high speed Thalys and Regional. The Regionals even stop at Brussels National Airport!

Here in the Netherlands we doubt the quality of the train connections. Expecially the Intercity Direct to Belgium, it's the least reliable connection with ~85%. This is caused by the train type used for this service. And the rail network on this route. (I will only tire you with the details on request.)

The train station at AMS is also close to maximum capacity. There isn't a plan to provide more capacity at the AMS train station.
Posibly it's the dutch drive to perfection (always complaining). But I think there is a reason KLM is flying the AMS - BRU route several times daily.

Though AMS isn't a hub for a Star Alliance member, most of the airlines serve AMS. I think Lufthansa tries to avoid losing transfer passengers to AMS by asking their Alliance members to make it difficult to book AMS flights.

Edit to add: only this month the NS ordered 18 new trains for the Intercity Brussel route. They will get a fleet of 20 ICNG trains that are permitted in Belgium.
Those trains will only be introduced into service around 2025. :(

Louis2

Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:30 am

CFRPwingALbody wrote:
COEWR787 wrote:
Louis2 wrote:

Here in the Netherlands we doubt the quality of the train connections. Expecially the Intercity Direct to Belgium, it's the least reliable connection with ~85%. This is caused by the train type used for this service. And the rail network on this route. (I will only tire you with the details on request.)

The train station at AMS is also close to maximum capacity. There isn't a plan to provide more capacity at the AMS train station.
Posibly it's the dutch drive to perfection (always complaining). But I think there is a reason KLM is flying the AMS - BRU route several times daily.

Though AMS isn't a hub for a Star Alliance member, most of the airlines serve AMS. I think Lufthansa tries to avoid losing transfer passengers to AMS by asking their Alliance members to make it difficult to book AMS flights.

Edit to add: only this month the NS ordered 18 new trains for the Intercity Brussel route. They will get a fleet of 20 ICNG trains that are permitted in Belgium.
Those trains will only be introduced into service around 2025. :(

As a Dutchman from the Maastricht area, I can tell you getting by train to Schiphol is much easier. From the Maastricht area you can reach Schiphol by train much faster and convinient then Zaventem, where you have to pay an extra fee for the airport and for crossing the border with a decades old, museum -style train. Schiphol can be reached twice per our and, as Maastricht and Heerlen are both railheads, there is always enough space for you and your lugage.
At the same time Düsseldorf is airport for cattle. Long lines for security, rude staff, long lines, overcrowded. The new security and border facilities make Schiphol much more costumer friendly, despite suffering from overcrowding as well.

ericm2031

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:59 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
A388 wrote:
Nice to see UA expand at one of my favorite airports where I used to work. They apparently are doing well there. I went to LHR last month and was surprised to see the Star Alliance presence there being so big. The terminal they use there is pretty big. I would have never thought their presence to be so big on BA's home turf and their One World big hub operation. Impressive.

A388

LHR is a bit of a special case, but the Star presence there is indeed impressive. A useless piece of trivia for you is that VS-DL and UA-AC have the same number of daily TATL flights from LHR (28 a piece). I haven't run the numbers but would guess that total seats is higher on VS-DL but the Star carriers' capacity is still very impressive without a partner on one end of the route.

Virgin Atlantic

ATL
BOS X2
EWR
IAD
JFK X6
LAS
LAX X2
MIA
SEA
SFO X2

= 18 daily flights

United

DEN
EWR X5
IAD X3
IAH X2
LAX
ORD X3
SFO X2

= 17 daily flights

Delta

ATL X2
BOS
DTW X2
JFK X2
MSP
PDX
SLC

= 10 daily flights

Air Canada

YHZ
YOW
YUL
YVR X2
YYC
YYT
YYZ X4

= 11 daily flights

Throw in NZ’s LAX flight and *A actually has 1 more, but if you count AM, then it evens back out

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos