BN747
Topic Author

Airliners Past: Olympic Airways receives their 1st Boeing 747

Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:07 am

As the titles says, a great moment from the past!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgOeCtoBPTg

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Max Q

Re: Airliners Past: Olympic Airways receives their 1st Boeing 747

Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:16 am

Great stuff BN

I think Onassis used to charter their 747’s from time to time
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

BN747
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:04 pm

Max Q wrote:
Great stuff BN

Thanks Max, I would not be surprised, he got what he wanted with TWA, so once he took over OA, he could do whatever he wanted.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

jmdc861

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:36 pm

I saw "Zeus" at SYD when Olympic briefly served that city in the mid-1970s. "Zeus"! One fell of an appropriate name for a 747!

Max Q

Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:36 pm

BN747 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Great stuff BN

Thanks Max, I would not be surprised, he got what he wanted with TWA, so once he took over OA, he could do whatever he wanted.

BN747

What was the connection with TWA ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

BN747
Topic Author

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:06 pm

Max Q wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Great stuff BN

BN747

As I understood it from a local TWA rep (in the 1980s) , Onassis, one of the world's most powerful men (particularly in Greece), Onassis had some sort of link with TWA (Howard Hughes owned) that gave him quite a bit of influence with the carrier (along with owning Olympic Airways). Whether that was in the form of investment or something else, I'm uncertain, but he was player on both sides of the Greece to NY services. Sorry I can't elaborate further, perhaps someone here knows more of their relationship.

BN747

OlympicATH

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:30 pm

jmdc861 wrote:
I saw "Zeus" at SYD when Olympic briefly served that city in the mid-1970s. "Zeus"! One fell of an appropriate name for a 747!

OA flew to Sydney from 1972 to 2004 so more than just “briefly”. They might have temporarily suspended the route once or twice during that period but overall it ran for over 30 years.

questions

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:09 pm

OlympicATH wrote:
jmdc861 wrote:

OA flew to Sydney from 1972 to 2004 so more than just “briefly”. They might have temporarily suspended the route once or twice during that period but overall it ran for over 30 years.

Where did OA stop on the ATH-SYD route?

Cunard

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:10 pm

BN747 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

As I understood it from a local TWA rep (in the 1980s) , Onassis, one of the world's most powerful men (particularly in Greece), Onassis had some sort of link with TWA (Howard Hughes owned) that gave him quite a bit of influence with the carrier (along with owning Olympic Airways). Whether that was in the form of investment or something else, I'm uncertain, but he was player on both sides of the Greece to NY services. Sorry I can't elaborate further, perhaps someone here knows more of their relationship.

BN747

I think that you may have things confused as I don't believe that there was any financial investment or influence between the two people concerned regarding their two airline's.

Aristotle Onassis and Howard Hughes did have one thing in common though and we're probably very good business acquaintances.

Aristotle Onassis owned Olympic Airways from the 30 May 1956 till 10 December 1974.

At the time, the ownership of Olympic Airways distinguished Aristotle Onassis as being one of only two men in the world to own a private airline, the other being Howard Hughes with TWA.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Cunard

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:04 pm

questions wrote:
OlympicATH wrote:
jmdc861 wrote:

Olympic Airlines inaugurated flights from Athens to Melbourne in 1972 after the arrival of the B747 to the airline's fleet. Initially flights were to Melbourne twice weekly with Sydney added later.

Olympic Airlines flew from Athens to Melbourne and Sydney via either Bangkok or Singapore, these flights discontinued in 2004.

A fun fact....When Aristotle Onassis acquired Olympic Airways in 1956 he was informed that he could not use the five ring Olympic symbol to his logo due to copyright issues so he just simply added a sixth ring.

In my opinion the iconic Olympic ring logo on the tail of Olympic Airlines has to be one of best there has ever been in the history of commercial aviation and it looked extremely smart on almost every aircraft within the airline's fleet and in particular on their B720/707/727/747 and A300.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

BN747
Topic Author

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:51 pm

Cunard wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

BN747

Aristotle Onassis and Howard Hughes did have one thing in common though and we're probably very good business acquaintances.

Aristotle Onassis owned Olympic Airways from the 30 May 1956 till 10 December 1974.

That statement is quite telling if true.

One man 'owned' half the US Congress from the early 1950s onward plus was very well acquainted with Jackie Kennedy while married to an alive President Kennedy.

The other man did not.

Given how business was conducted during that era, if you think the old political 'play both side's aka Rep/Dem originated in politics, it did not. Private enterprises started this and did this all the time. Considering Onassis' extensive reach running thru various businesses across the globe, I have good reason to believe the TWA reps 'opinion' of that history plus with Onassis practically owning Greece, he was like a nicer Vlademir Putin in the sense that nothing went on in Greece without his 'knowing' and having a hand in all things Greece. Perhaps the TWA rep I spoke with was referring to some preferential access to TWA ops in ATH via their relationship.Everyone knew Onassis ran OA like his own (and it was) personal toy. I wish I recall the exact conversation but I left convinced that Onassis had a reach into TWA/Greece.

BN747

alitis

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:10 am

IIRC, Olympic sold SX-OAA 'Olympic Zeus" to TWA in the mid 80's.

Flyingsottsman

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:05 am

OlympicATH wrote:
jmdc861 wrote:

Also flew to Melbourne, which had the second largest Greek population out side of Athens. They to suspended Melbourne for a while before returning, came back for a few years before going again never to return.

millionsofmiles

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:25 am

Cunard wrote:
questions wrote:
OlympicATH wrote:

Olympic Airlines inaugurated flights from Athens to Melbourne in 1972 after the arrival of the B747 to the airline's fleet. Initially flights were to Melbourne twice weekly with Sydney added later.

Olympic Airlines flew from Athens to Melbourne and Sydney via either Bangkok or Singapore, these flights discontinued in 2004.

A fun fact....When Aristotle Onassis acquired Olympic Airways in 1956 he was informed that he could not use the five ring Olympic symbol to his logo due to copyright issues so he just simply added a sixth ring.

In my opinion the iconic Olympic ring logo on the tail of Olympic Airlines has to be one of best there has ever been in the history of commercial aviation and it looked extremely smart on almost every aircraft within the airline's fleet and in particular on their B720/707/727/747 and A300.

Olympic commenced Melbourne service in 1972 with the 707, which continued to operate the route after it was changed to Sydney in 1973. The 747s were initially placed on JFK.

In 1973, the 707 service to SYD stopped in BKK and SIN eastbound, and SIN, BKK and Nicosia (the airport that closed with the Turkish invasion) westbound.

As a Greek, I can attest to the pride that Greeks felt with the arrival of the 747 and the initially high service standards of Olympic while under the ownership of Aristotle Onassis. Sadly, the fall from grace of Olympic once it became state-owned was a bitter pill for many Greeks.

questions

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:30 am

millionsofmiles wrote:
Cunard wrote:
questions wrote:

Olympic commenced Melbourne service in 1972 with the 707, which continued to operate the route after it was changed to Sydney in 1973. The 747s were initially placed on JFK.

In 1973, the 707 service to SYD stopped in BKK and SIN eastbound, and SIN, BKK and Nicosia (the airport that closed with the Turkish invasion) westbound.

As a Greek, I can attest to the pride that Greeks felt with the arrival of the 747 and the initially high service standards of Olympic while under the ownership of Aristotle Onassis. Sadly, the fall from grace of Olympic once it became state-owned was a bitter pill for many Greeks.

Thanks.

BTW, love Greece... and hottie Greeks. :)

OA260

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:36 am

I got to go onboard SX-OAB currently still parked at old Hellinikon at one of the open days . I first flew this back in 1989. Great aircraft and great interior. Onassis had this custom made from Boeing . Delivered Dec 1973. Back in 1989 the nose section was actually configured in Economy Class seats which were later removed and armchair Business Class seats were installed as seen in the photos.

I also flew JFK-ATH in the upper deck business class cabin but dont remember the Reg. It was an Ex SQ though as I remember the gold pattern at the back of the cabin that SQ had installed. OA kept it.

Cunard

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:36 pm

millionsofmiles wrote:
Cunard wrote:
questions wrote:

Many thanks for posting that additional information it's appreciated as I was always under the impression that the B747 was initially used to Australia as well as to JFK.

kaitak

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:50 pm

BN747 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

That statement is quite telling if true.

One man 'owned' half the US Congress from the early 1950s onward plus was very well acquainted with Jackie Kennedy while married to an alive President Kennedy.

The other man did not.

Given how business was conducted during that era, if you think the old political 'play both side's aka Rep/Dem originated in politics, it did not. Private enterprises started this and did this all the time. Considering Onassis' extensive reach running thru various businesses across the globe, I have good reason to believe the TWA reps 'opinion' of that history plus with Onassis practically owning Greece, he was like a nicer Vlademir Putin in the sense that nothing went on in Greece without his 'knowing' and having a hand in all things Greece. Perhaps the TWA rep I spoke with was referring to some preferential access to TWA ops in ATH via their relationship.Everyone knew Onassis ran OA like his own (and it was) personal toy. I wish I recall the exact conversation but I left convinced that Onassis had a reach into TWA/Greece.

BN747

Indeed, there used to be a joke that ran: what would have happened if Kruschev had been assassinated instead of Kennedy. Answer: Hard to tell, but one things for sure. Mrs. Kruscheva wouldn't have married Ari Onassis!

When did things go wrong for Olympic? Was there a time when they were profitable? Did the losses set in once the Greek government bought it out and then stuffed it with political apparatchiks and unnecessary manpower?

By the way, thanks for the photos of the interior of that 747 at Hellinikon. Great shots!

Doublecatered

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:54 pm

Fantastic pics OA260 !!!
Thanks so much for posting

OA260

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:37 pm

kaitak wrote:

When did things go wrong for Olympic? Was there a time when they were profitable? Did the losses set in once the Greek government bought it out and then stuffed it with political apparatchiks and unnecessary manpower?

By the way, thanks for the photos of the interior of that 747 at Hellinikon. Great shots!

Welcome. An interesting short article pretty much sums it up.

Olympic Air: From Onassis Golden Age To Aegean Takeover

The merger of Olympic Air and Aegean Airlines symbolizes the end of a whole era. The gilded crockeries, stunning fashionable uniforms for flight attendants and pilots, as well as seminars of Olympic officials enrolled in Monte Carlo in the time of the late shipping magnate Aristotle Onassis who founded the airline has given way to economic crisis and repositioning of airlines.

The European Commission approved the takeover of the failing Olympic by Aegean Airlines because it said the once iconic national carrier of Onassis would otherwise likely go out of business because it’s been bleeding so much money.

https://greece.greekreporter.com/2013/1 ... -takeover/

The Greek government used it for political purposes. It was run like an over inflated social welfare system. The 80s and early 90s were not so bad from a passenger point of view although some will disagree I had great flights on them and was a very frequent flyer on them. The A300/B727/B734 and B747 all in my log.You got proper hot meals in Y and the majority of the flights were on time. Around mid 90s is when the company really went down and they failed to upgrade the product and fell behind when other airlines were investing in their premium products. With the A340s came some enhancements such as PTVs and better J product although by that time airlines were bringing in flat seats so the product aged quickly.
The A340 was a nice product on the LHR-ATH route I flew it many times but it was not if you were flying on the longhaul compared to the competition. LHR actually made money for the company and for a time JFK but many others lost money due to crew costs. Australia NEVER made money it was purely to link diaspora for political reasons. In fact pressure was put on OA by the government and Priests to relaunch Australia after they wanted to axe it due to making such a loss.

There were way too many staff at home base and there was a joke that they had 3 staff to change a printer roll in Syngrou 96 which is where the HQ was. Politicians got their relatives jobs in the company where no position existed but something was invented. They all bled the company dry putting in crazy expense claims. People with no aviation experience were making the decisions. The Unions also made unreasonable demands and striked at the drop of a hat. They must take their blame also. On the flip side you had employees who were very highly trained like engineers and airport staff,offices abroad etc.. many who worked for the company for 30 years and who saw their once profitable and great airline slowly being run down and collapsed. Free tickets at election times for anyone who promised to vote for the current Pasok or ND parties etc..

So thats basically it. Sad really but such is life. OA should have been what A3 is today and it shows how things should be run.

Doublecatered wrote:
Fantastic pics OA260 !!!
Thanks so much for posting

Your welcome it was a very interesting trip down memory lane when I stepped onboard after all those years.

millionsofmiles

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Cunard wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Many thanks for posting that additional information it's appreciated as I was always under the impression that the B747 was initially used to Australia as well as to JFK.

Hi, Cunard...The only reason I remembered was because I grew up in a Greek...VERY Greek...household, and every development at Olympic was seen as a source of pride for my relatives. I learned how to read (minimal) Greek from my grandparents’ Greek language newspapers and magazines which had many Olympic ads, especially as Olympic also heavily targeted VFR traffic. Branches of my family emigrated from Greece to Australia, and the new route was BIG news, almost as big as the subsequent arrival of the 747,

Onassis was a deity to my family and friends, and the “gold standard” he applied to Olympic under his ownership allowed the Greek diaspora to hold their heads high. I well remember as a child vacationing at a resort frequented by Greeks in the US, and my parents speaking of a young lady staying at the resort in hushed, reverential terms, “She was a stewardess for Olympic.”

In the early 1970s, Onassis purchased the site on which stood the Best & Co. Department Store (where my mom used to take me to get my hair cut) on Fifth Avenue and built the Olympic Tower, adjacent to which the Olympic Airways ticket office stood proudly in a grand old building

The death of Onassis’s son in a plane crash hit him hard. He sold his shares in Olympic to the Greek government which, to many of us Greeks...as well as airline historians...really began the beginning of a long slide into oblivion. Routes were cut; political patronage abounded; service deteriorated significantly, and soon Olympic became the joke amongst not only the Greek population but the Greek diaspora. Suddenly, my father and our relatives were making fun of Olympic; talking about the bad service; and comparing horror stories. Part of the anti-Olympic sentiment was rooted in the strongly pro-Greek monarchy feelings amongst the diaspora. The military junta which took power in 1967 abolished the monarchy in 1973, and the Prime Minister Karamanlis (whose name was only uttered by my relatives accompanied by a spitting sound) cemented the abolition in 1974. The government ownership of Olympic, accompanied by its tarnished service and image, was a recipe for disaster and started the long spiral.

Suddenly, many Greeks no longer felt the same nationalistic feelings towards Olympic, and began choosing other airlines. On the JFK route, TWA was very popular amongst Greeks. Olympic still had plenty of traffic but many will argue it never attained its full potential. With an ever-increasing amount of tourism; the potential for major increases in business traffic due to EU membership; the missed opportunity in failing to turn Athens into a potential true east-west hub; the list goes on...and eventually, the sight of Olympic aircraft in the USA; Canada; Africa; Asia and Australia became but a memory.

That’s my take on it. As a full-blooded Greek, it really makes me sad.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos