Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cbphoto

Re: QS 737-800 Flies for Nearly 2 1/2 Hours with One Engine Out

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:45 pm

I’m an airline Captain, with over 8000 hours of PIC time. Flew MD-80s before and currently on the A320. I can think of zero reasons why flying for 2 hours on one engine on a twin would be acceptable, unless it was an ETOPs flight. All airplanes are capable of landing over weight, so no issue there. You try to restart it once, while you are starting to divert to the nearest suitable airport. This crew definitely has some explaining to do.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

csturdiv

Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:20 am

LTC8K6 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
How long can the plane glide if both engines are out?

All the way to impact.

That makes me think about sn old Ron White comedy bit about him flying on a small plane and a nervous flyer next to him asking him how far they'll fly with no engines...all the way to the crash.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

Sokes

Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:36 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Sokes wrote:
What can go wrong: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... ed_gliding
fuel system/ filter clogged by ice, wrong fuel indicator installed, engine failure outside flight envelope, hail and water ingestion, vulcanic ash, blade fracture, fuel system contamination, low oil pressure.
Can a plane above MLW circle above the nearest airport till it reaches MLW? How much fuel/ min can a B737/ A320 drop?

If an aircraft without fuel dump (such as the 737 or A320) becomes a glider with both engines out, how do you propose they reach MLW?

Have you observed that I started a new line for my question?
We were discussing a plane that flew 2,5 hours on one engine. "What can go wrong: ..." referred to reasons why one engine out requires to land at the next suitable airport.
However I find landing above MLW overdoing it. Therefore my question if the flight could have dropped fuel or circled above the nearest suitable airport.
If there is anything else difficult to understand in my post, please feel free to ask.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

Binford

Re: Smartwings flies 737-800 for almost 2'n'Half hours single engine..!??

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:54 am

Draken21fx wrote:
holczakker wrote:
BTW a poster (a hungarian ATCO) on avherald states that they flew over Serbia and Hungary without even advising ATC that they had an engine failure.

Not to doubt the Hungarian poster but how can they not advise when they asked for a FL240 for the whole overflight? Wouldnt that raise questions from the Serbian and Hungarian ATC?

FL240 is max altitude for 737NG flying with one Air Conditioning Pack inop as per MEL. So it's not unusual and most properly something ATC sees every day which alone won't raise questions.

Greetings
Michael

Waterbomber2

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:15 am

cbphoto wrote:
I’m an airline Captain, with over 8000 hours of PIC time. Flew MD-80s before and currently on the A320. I can think of zero reasons why flying for 2 hours on one engine on a twin would be acceptable, unless it was an ETOPs flight. All airplanes are capable of landing over weight, so no issue there. You try to restart it once, while you are starting to divert to the nearest suitable airport. This crew definitely has some explaining to do.

"I'm a chief pilot/management pilot and we show how things are done properly. The type is ETOPS certified so if we had wanted to, we could have flown all the way to London, but I didn't feel like missing dinner with the wife and kids."

Pan Pan Pan, we have a number 1 and number 2 pilot failure.

bennett123

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:37 pm

I thought that individual aircraft/airlines are ETOPS certified.

Are you saying that all B737 are ETOPS certified?.

ssteve

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:49 pm

I believe it was farcical, hypothetical situation. A joke.

Lots of people inferring get-home-itis here.

11C

Re: Smartwings does Europe for almost 2'n'Half hours single engine..!??

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:01 am

barney captain wrote:
mpdpilot wrote:
Looking at the flight on flightradar24 it does appear that they went direct Prague after descending to FL240. And there were many large airports along their flight path.

Burning fuel is the only thing that makes sense to me. If I have to burn 2hrs of fuel to get below MLW, might as well fly to Prague.

Also if I am going to fly around burning fuel, I am going to do it as high as I can. They will have a lot more options if they loose the final engine at FL240 then at 10000'.

In the 737 with one engine shut down, you land at the nearest suitable airport and land overweight if necessary. You would never fly around on one engine solely to burn off fuel.

I hope there's more to this story.

Thanks, I’m glad some sanity was introduced...

gregpodpl

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:51 pm

news from 3 days ago:

The Czech aviation watchdog said on Tuesday it was looking into an incident in which a Smartwings plane flew on one engine for more than two hours instead of seeking a nearby airport to land. (...)
“We are shocked, it is unprecedented in our view in terms of the crew behaviour, according to the information available so far,” said Vitezslav Hezky, spokesman for the Czech Aviation Authority (CAA).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airl ... SKCN1VH16W

bcbhokie

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:28 pm

Travel Service/Smartwings is also the owner of Czech Airlines (OK), which actually has a pretty good safety and reliability reputation. Both seem to have separate airline codes so i imagine they are operating under different certificates; do any of our European colleagues have insider information on how much is shared between the airlines as far as operational procedures, maintenance and crew training goes?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos