Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mikeinatlanta
Topic Author

Another 747-400F back to work.

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:17 pm

Aircraft Maintenance Professional since 1979.

SpaceshipDC10

Re: Another 747-400F back to work.

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:25 pm

It's a 2008 aircraft. Tail design looks nice.

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... s/YdLoSyap

mikeinatlanta
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:42 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
It's a 2008 aircraft. Tail design looks nice.

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... s/YdLoSyap

The tail came out way better than I thought looking at the drawings.

SpaceshipDC10

Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:22 pm

mikeinatlanta wrote:
The tail came out way better than I thought looking at the drawings.

That's often how it goes.

na

Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:08 pm

Nice. Another new livery on a 744F.
Now I wonder when 21Air´s recently aquired 744BCF will fly.

mikeinatlanta
Topic Author

Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:15 am

Well that didn't last very long. Flexport killing the dedicated freighter. Livery will be gone soon. https://theloadstar.com/flexport-closes ... t-changes/

mikeinatlanta
Topic Author

Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:19 am

Was I the only one to ever get a photo of this AC? Every article I've seen uses the one I took.

andrej

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:51 am

Sad news. Do we know more about this plane, such as number of cycles and flight hours? I hope this plane gets back to business relatively quickly.

Regarding question about photos of N508KZ, when I googled it there were other photos available.

747classic

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:32 pm

andrej wrote:
Sad news. Do we know more about this plane, such as number of cycles and flight hours? I hope this plane gets back to business relatively quickly.

Regarding question about photos of N508KZ, when I googled it there were other photos available.

N508KZ is owned by WILMINGTON TRUST COMPANY TRUSTEE, see : https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquir ... txt=N508KZ

N508KZ is leased and operated by Atlas Air, (ACMI) sub- leased to "Flexport"

For a video of N508KZ, landing at RW16L at NRT, see : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP0ZjMDcer8

Last recorded flight hours/cycles at 8/6/2019 : 35.099 hours and 7180 cycles, see FAA SDR website : https://av-info.faa.gov/sdrx/Query.aspx and fill in the registration number "508KZ (without the "N")

Probably will be leased and operated further by Atlas Air.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

andrej

Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:53 pm

747classic wrote:
andrej wrote:

N508KZ is owned by WILMINGTON TRUST COMPANY TRUSTEE.....

Thank you for providing all detaila and useful links.
This is a new plane, given number of hours and cycles, she has plenty of life left.

Cheers,
Andrej

MO11

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:21 pm

747classic wrote:
N508KZ is owned by WILMINGTON TRUST COMPANY TRUSTEE, see : https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquir ... txt=N508KZ

Wilmington Trust doesn't own airplanes. The airplane is owned by Nippon Cargo Airlines, placed in a US trust, for which Wilmington Trust is the trustee. What you see on that website is the aircraft's registrant, not necessarily the owner.

SpaceshipDC10

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:50 pm

mikeinatlanta wrote:
Was I the only one to ever get a photo of this AC? Every article I've seen uses the one I took.

No. If you click on the link I posted back in August, there are four other pictures just there.

andrej

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:32 am

MO11 wrote:
747classic wrote:

Wilmington Trust doesn't own airplanes. The airplane is owned by Nippon Cargo Airlines, placed in a US trust, for which Wilmington Trust is the trustee. What you see on that website is the aircraft's registrant, not necessarily the owner.

Thanks for your clarification. Is there any publicly available register, where one can link NCA to WT?
Also, I am not sure of this is just a coincidence, but now I see NCA’s link in its registration. It went from JA08KZ to N508KZ.

Thanks!
Andrej

CX Flyboy

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:30 pm

mikeinatlanta wrote:

Quite a few photos taken of it here in Hong Kong. It was here all the time.

MO11

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:10 pm

andrej wrote:
Thanks for your clarification. Is there any publicly available register, where one can link NCA to WT?
Also, I am not sure of this is just a coincidence, but now I see NCA’s link in its registration. It went from JA08KZ to N508KZ.

Thanks!
Andrej

Well, no. Airplanes are placed in trust for a variety of reasons. For some private/corporate operators, it is simply to keep ownership information away from the public.

And yes, the N registration is no coincidence.

wjcandee

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:50 pm

MO11 wrote:
andrej wrote:

Thanks!
Andrej

Well, no. Airplanes are placed in trust for a variety of reasons. For some private/corporate operators, it is simply to keep ownership information away from the public.

And yes, the N registration is no coincidence.

And to add to MO11's correct statements, there are a couple of banks/trust-companies that specialize in being the trustee for transport-category aircraft trusts. Wilmington is one, Bank of Utah is another, and there are more. An equipment trust is a financing vehicle. The trustee makes sure all the paperwork is in order and continues to be in order, and collects the lease payments and manages the books. A diversity of investors have seen aircraft financing as a viable practice with stable, if risky, long-term returns.

Some have learned that it can be risky if they invest in a type that isn't successful long-term and thus has a plummeting market value. For example, Disney and Northwestern Mutual Life both were investors in brand-new MD11 aircraft leased to Delta, which were shown to anybody that looked as registered to a trust company. The MD11, of course, wasn't ultimately widely-adopted as a passenger carrier, but its plummeting market price made it an attractive freighter conversion. Delta's leases required that the aircraft be returned to the lessors in the interior condition that they were at the beginning of the lease, thus precluding conversion. When DL removed them from service, therefore, well before anyone expected them to, DL just parked them, mothballed, at Mirabel and somewhere else, and continued to make the lease payments, which they expected to do through the end of the lease. The lessors were unwilling to cut a deal to take them back, because their best option was to just take the stream of payments from DL that they bargained for, as there was no profit to be made from the frames in the resale market.

Ultimately, DL subleased a few of them to World at a massively-lower rental than DL was paying Disney and Northwestern Mutual, but at least they were getting some income to offset those payments on those aircraft. When DL declared bankruptcy, the first leases it rejected, on the first day, were the MD11s, which then went back to the lessors, who immediately sold them to FedEx and UPS at a market price. Doubtless, they lost money, but they had a pretty-good run given that the asset had depreciated well below expectations. Generally, however, with a stable aircraft type, such leases are a remunerative long-term play that would be an appropriate place for a long-term player like Disney or a life-insurance company to park cash.

The trustee of the equipment trust facilitates all this by being a reliable, neutral, trusted entity to handle and report the monthly finances of the investment.

MO11

Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:18 pm

wjcandee wrote:

The trustee of the equipment trust facilitates all this by being a reliable, neutral, trusted entity to handle and report the monthly finances of the investment.

This one is more likely a registration trust, which is one way to place a foreign owned airplane onto the US registry. You see this frequently with US registered airplanes operated in a foreign country. Those aircraft may be registered to Aircraft Guaranty Trust, or TVPX, or Delaware Trust, but they're actually owned by a foreign entity.

WPvsMW

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:54 pm

wjcandee wrote:

wjc, why do you think Flexport's business model failed... fleet too small? B747F too big?

andrej

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:30 pm

wjcandee and MO11,
thanks for your clarifications and help!

Cheers,
Andrej

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos