FlyHossD

Re: United suspends ORD-HKG

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:59 pm

HP69 wrote:
This cancellation indicates a broader pullback in Asia for UA, IMO.

How so?

So UA is ending ORD-HKG and GUM-HKG (not daily anyway). But they're adding another daily SFO-HKG and maintaining EWR-HKG (now a 777-300). All-in-all, that seems like a wash to me.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

eamondzhang

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:39 am

FlyHossD wrote:
HP69 wrote:

How so?

So UA is ending ORD-HKG and GUM-HKG (not daily anyway). But they're adding another daily SFO-HKG and maintaining EWR-HKG (now a 777-300). All-in-all, that seems like a wash to me.

And "a broader pullback in Asia"..... Lol. UA just announced increase in HND frequencies (and only two are swap-overs from NRT, the rest are new adds).

I can only laugh at these comments.

Michael

LAXdude1023

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:18 pm

jayunited wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

There is no 787 base at ORD. Just as with AA not operating the 787 from the MIA base, UA does not operate with the 787 from ORD. Certainly the costs of doing so just for one specific (money losing) flight would outweigh the benefits.

That wouldn’t be an obstacle if they saw value in the route. UA flies IAH-SYD despite the fact that there is no base.

No you are 100% wrong. There is a 787 base at IAH it was reopened prior to IAH-SYD launching and IAH mechanics still perform a lot of the maintenance on the 789 fleet. And one IAH-LHR flights is a 789.
At ORD you have no base and the cost involved in setting up maintenance and having spare parts all to support one flight when demand is dropping isn't worth the investment. UA learned the maintenance lessons early from from the early days of UA DEN-NRT flight when they thought they could cycle 788s through DEN without setting up maintenance with the tools and spare parts needed to do their job. The result was cancelations or long overnight delays.

That course of action had to be reversed but the difference is DEN-NRT was seeing demand growing which justified the investment from a maintenance perspective. ORD-HKG is seeing demand drop and there being no plans to base any 787s at ORD at this time it would be a waist of money to cycle a 789 through ORD, open an ORD 787 pilot base and order additional parts and tools to properly set up maintenance for success for a route that for the past year and a half or 2 years has been on a downward trajectory.

Im not the only one that was 100% wrong!
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

zakuivcustom

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:41 am

eamondzhang wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
HP69 wrote:

How so?

And "a broader pullback in Asia"..... Lol. UA just announced increase in HND frequencies (and only two are swap-overs from NRT, the rest are new adds).

Michael

Agree - come back when UA cuts ORD-PEK and ORD-PVG along with reducing frequencies on ORD-NRT like AA did, then we can talk about a "pullback".

Seriously, you're talking about a flight to a destination (HKG) which demands were reduced due to current events (i.e. protests). GUM-HKG was ending regardless anyway as it's just not all that profitable of a flight.

For now, the flight is suspend, not withdrawn, much like the extradition bill anyway :duck:

P.S. HKG itself is just not some magic market that is guarantee to be profitable regardless of where an airline fly to it from, even before the current events.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

BNAMealer

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:46 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

How so?

Michael

Agree - come back when UA cuts ORD-PEK and ORD-PVG along with reducing frequencies on ORD-NRT like AA did, then we can talk about a "pullback".

Seriously, you're talking about a flight to a destination (HKG) which demands were reduced due to current events (i.e. protests). GUM-HKG was ending regardless anyway as it's just not all that profitable of a flight.

For now, the flight is suspend, not withdrawn, much like the extradition bill anyway :duck:

P.S. HKG itself is just not some magic market that is guarantee to be profitable regardless of where an airline fly to it from, even before the current events.

And honestly, with UA finally basing the 787 at ORD, if/when things stabilize and recover in HKG, I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that it could return.

tigerzhong13

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:47 am

jayunited wrote:
right now UA has no plans to base any 787s at ORD. Looking at these facts I don't see this flight returning any time soon.

4 days later, United announced they would base 787s at ORD.

However they are 78Xs so out of range.
Last edited by tigerzhong13 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

UA857

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:31 am

Will UA still serve ORD-PEK/PVG? I know that ORD-NRT is being moved to HND.

UA857

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:08 am

FlyHossD wrote:
HP69 wrote:

How so?

And another route of the legacy UA is gone.

Pinto

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:32 am

I think UA is willing to suspend flights right now because they are making such a push to retrofit their widebodies. Right now they are almost done with all the Legcay UA 772 and beginning on the 787s. The ORD-HKG route takes 48ish hours from takeoff to landing back in ORD. So by suspending this they are freeing up 2 772s a day if my math is right. In regards to it being fully cancelled I dont think they would give up those slots so easily. Right now UA cant even get a slot at the same time for the 2nd daily SFO.

UA857

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:18 am

Can United move ORD-HKG to IAD?

LAX772LR

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:42 am

UA857 wrote:

Could they? Yes.

Why would they, especially with CX already there?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:16 am

UA857 wrote:

It would have to be all O&D since IAD (and EWR for that matter) doesn't really make sense as a connection hub to Asia.

If CX has that covered, it would be pretty tough going, especially with no alliance, leave alone JV available.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

LAX772LR

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:42 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
since IAD (and EWR for that matter) doesn't really make sense as a connection hub to Asia.

For the southeast they do.

It's a good bit quicker for those from that region to go through NYC/CHI/WAS than to spin out through the west coast, as the primary initial trajectory is northbound anyway.

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:20 am

LAX772LR wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
since IAD (and EWR for that matter) doesn't really make sense as a connection hub to Asia.

For the southeast they do.

It's a good bit quicker for those from that region to go through NYC/CHI/WAS than to spin out through the west coast, as the primary initial trajectory is northbound anyway.

No doubt. I'd argue ORD, but, well... this whole thread.

I'm just wondering how much of that there can possibly even be?
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

LAX772LR

Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:48 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
I'm just wondering how much of that there can possibly even be?

Depends on the "that" you're referring to.

BR feeds heavily on the Vietnamese traffic in the IAH (nonstop) and DFW/MSY (1stop) areas.

Plenty of Filipino workers transiting the cruise ships at the ports of IAH, MSY, MOB, and MIA; not particularly high yield traffic, but voluminous.

Then there's the Koreans in ATL and DFW, and the Japanese with Florida.

So while the southeast/southcentral could never compare to the west coast, or even east coast, for Asian traffic; there's definitely a good deal of connecting traffic, hence not only the hub carriers' nonstops, but the presence of KE, BR, SQ, JL, CA, etc.

janders

Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:54 am

Seems "suspension" might be longer than initially hinted at.

"Hopefully someday we'll be able to go back," says United CFO Gerry Laderman on Hong Kong-Chicago and Hong Kong-Guam. But going back would require a significant change in the demand environment, he adds at the Cowen investor conference.

https://twitter.com/e_russell/status/11 ... 58112?s=21
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

mercure1

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:36 pm

In another thread about CX cutting capacity, Hong Kong officials state visitor arrivals plunged 40% in August and similar was expected for September.

Any guesses if the 2nd SFO-HKG even launches? Seems like it might not be needed with the market falling off the cliff so fast.
mercure f-wtcc

HP69

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:35 pm

mercure1 wrote:
In another thread about CX cutting capacity, Hong Kong officials state visitor arrivals plunged 40% in August and similar was expected for September.

Any guesses if the 2nd SFO-HKG even launches? Seems like it might not be needed with the market falling off the cliff so fast.

Maybe it will launch next spring instead?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos