720B
Topic Author
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:52 am

maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:15 am

As per Sam Chui's website, A maintenance mishap has left an Emirates Airbus A380-800 with serious damage to its nose and surrounding structure.

The aircraft, registered A6-EOP, was undergoing a routine maintenance check when the aircraft collapsed onto its nose.

https://samchui.com/2019/08/24/maintena ... WEbb-hKiUl
 
ltbewr
Posts: 14325
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:24 am

While the damage from the outside looks minor, it is what inside that could be the real problem. I doubt this will be a write off but it will need serious repairs, likely taking a few months. As it allegedly fell off a jack, it suggests a potential problem in mx procedures or just a human error.
 
User avatar
LoganTheBogan
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:49 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:09 pm

Ouchies! Had to be the 200th frame too :(
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
 
Scotron12
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:16 pm

Holy cow! Looks bad...
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 2679
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:21 pm

It happened " on site", so no expensive ferry flight is needed, so the total repair bill will be lower.
A380's are still produced so all structural spare parts must be available or can be salvaged from already stored A380 aircraft, earmarked for scrapping.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
User avatar
LoganTheBogan
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:49 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:27 pm

Apparently Emirates is really narrowing down on how this was released. Websites that published this are being hasted for sources.....

Note: Heard this from a writer who reported this on a different page - take with usual skepticism.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
 
StTim
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:39 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:28 pm

That is not going to be cheap to repair.
 
User avatar
DL747400
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:44 pm

Were these EK aircraft mechanics or were they contractor employees?
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1226
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:54 pm

DL747400 wrote:
Were these EK aircraft mechanics or were they contractor employees?

Why does it matter?
 
jeffrey0032j
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:59 pm

LoganTheBogan wrote:
Ouchies! Had to be the 200th frame too :(

Not the 200th frame, there are quite a number of skipped MSNs.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 21423
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:20 pm

ltbewr wrote:
While the damage from the outside looks minor, it is what inside that could be the real problem. I doubt this will be a write off but it will need serious repairs, likely taking a few months. As it allegedly fell off a jack, it suggests a potential problem in mx procedures or just a human error.

The end of the report is updated with speculation that it may be as simple as actuating the nose gear without the pin in.

The pictures make it look as if the nose clipped the building structure on the way down and the radome and the weather radar dish got sacrificed.

Image

So, is it resting on the nose gear doors?

The other non-accident picture makes it appear that those are much further back.

Maybe there is a 2nd set of doors for the mechanisms?

Edit: It does look like it's resting on the higher set of doors shown in this pic:

Image

It's not clear to me if the damage is structural or if it's only skin deep.

This was a relatively low energy event compared to one happening at operating speeds.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
User avatar
DL747400
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:31 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
DL747400 wrote:
Were these EK aircraft mechanics or were they contractor employees?

Why does it matter?


I'm curious about how the "HR side" of the incident will be handled. Based on the preliminary information, it sounds as if this may have been either equipment failure or human error. If in fact the investigation determines that this incident was a result of human error, not following policy & procedure, etc., then it will be interesting to see whether any details emerge regarding how the people involved are handled.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.
 
User avatar
kearnet
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 11:56 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:11 pm

As this was in a hanger when this happened I’m wondering about the tail. Was there any scaffolding around it or did it hit the hanger ceiling? If so, what extent was the damage there?
C402 9K | B1900D US | ATR72 AA | DHC8 US | CRJ2 US | E175 UA | E190 B6 | D93 US | M88 US/AA | 732 US | 733 US/WN | 734 US | 73G WN | B738 FJ/QF | B752 US/AA | B762 DL | B772 UA | B77W EK | F28 US | F100 US | A319 US | A320 B6 | A332 FJ | A380 EK
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 2223
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:11 pm

I agree with Revelation. It seems like nose gear was retracted and the aircraft is resting on the doors.

It might not be as bad as it looks. Radome and radar scraped off the front, a bit of buckling in the fuselage around the doors.

It's a 2015 aircraft, so I would not be suprised if it was fixed and returned to service.
 
ikramerica
Posts: 14900
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:31 pm

Doesn’t look that bad to me. No pressurized areas look damaged.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
by738
Posts: 2997
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:49 pm

where is door 1L ?
 
User avatar
afterburner
Posts: 1356
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:38 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:04 pm

kearnet wrote:
As this was in a hanger

Hangar. :)
 
User avatar
n901wa
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:38 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:39 pm

That Sucks. I hope its not too bad. If it was in a dock I wonder if other parts not in the picture has any damage? by738 I was wondering the same thing. I bet its laying on the dock / Stand above in the picture.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1226
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:42 pm

afterburner wrote:
kearnet wrote:
As this was in a hanger

Hangar. :)

Well, it'll be hanging around the hangar for a while, time to put hangers inside for the workers cloth. :lol:
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 18146
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:45 pm

ikramerica wrote:
Doesn’t look that bad to me. No pressurized areas look damaged.

Concur. Get out the speed tape and fly!
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1226
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:47 pm

jeffrey0032j wrote:
LoganTheBogan wrote:
Ouchies! Had to be the 200th frame too :(

Not the 200th frame, there are quite a number of skipped MSNs.

MSN 18 shows "on order", MSN's 24, 37, 53, 60, 91, 97, 104, 118, 129, 185, 196, 212, 245, 246, 260, 261 (out of 263 as of today) have been skipped.
So, MSN 200 is the 188th built.
 
PaxPicti
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:37 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:49 pm

by738 wrote:
where is door 1L ?

Same place as the radome - on the decking above.
 
787SIN
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:00 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:51 pm

If they are lucky its just the nose fairing, the unpressurised section under the flight deck floor that has taken then brunt of the damage.

Not sure of the clearance though on the inboard engines if the nose gear is retracted position. Perhaps resting on the engines.

Also that DR1L is missing! You can see the cable loom (black plastic conduit) stretching up into the docking. Hopefully no other docking was around the aircraft at the time as that could make things worse still.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 18146
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:07 pm

787SIN wrote:
If they are lucky its just the nose fairing, the unpressurised section under the flight deck floor that has taken then brunt of the damage.

Not sure of the clearance though on the inboard engines if the nose gear is retracted position. Perhaps resting on the engines.

Also that DR1L is missing! You can see the cable loom (black plastic conduit) stretching up into the docking. Hopefully no other docking was around the aircraft at the time as that could make things worse still.

Stands were all around the aircraft. I suspect near the wing and other doors.

EK:. We need to order the following doors: L1, L5 and a set of flaps for the A380 and new wing Leading edges.
Airbus: what?!?

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
DDR
Posts: 1632
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:18 pm

LoganTheBogan wrote:
Apparently Emirates is really narrowing down on how this was released. Websites that published this are being hasted for sources.....

Note: Heard this from a writer who reported this on a different page - take with usual skepticism.


Oh no, does this mean no more free first class flights for Sam Chui? LMAO
 
ikramerica
Posts: 14900
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:29 pm

lightsaber wrote:
787SIN wrote:
If they are lucky its just the nose fairing, the unpressurised section under the flight deck floor that has taken then brunt of the damage.

Not sure of the clearance though on the inboard engines if the nose gear is retracted position. Perhaps resting on the engines.

Also that DR1L is missing! You can see the cable loom (black plastic conduit) stretching up into the docking. Hopefully no other docking was around the aircraft at the time as that could make things worse still.

Stands were all around the aircraft. I suspect near the wing and other doors.

EK:. We need to order the following doors: L1, L5 and a set of flaps for the A380 and new wing Leading edges.
Airbus: what?!?

Lightsaber

The doors are still there. Just have to give them an extra nudge now.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
Magnolia
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:30 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
jeffrey0032j wrote:
LoganTheBogan wrote:
Ouchies! Had to be the 200th frame too :(

Not the 200th frame, there are quite a number of skipped MSNs.

MSN 18 shows "on order", MSN's 24, 37, 53, 60, 91, 97, 104, 118, 129, 185, 196, 212, 245, 246, 260, 261 (out of 263 as of today) have been skipped.
So, MSN 200 is the 188th built.

Can someone explain to a newbie why they skip MSNs?
 
TC957
Posts: 3514
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:52 pm

Magnolia wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
jeffrey0032j wrote:
Not the 200th frame, there are quite a number of skipped MSNs.

MSN 18 shows "on order", MSN's 24, 37, 53, 60, 91, 97, 104, 118, 129, 185, 196, 212, 245, 246, 260, 261 (out of 263 as of today) have been skipped.
So, MSN 200 is the 188th built.

Can someone explain to a newbie why they skip MSNs?

Usually cancelled orders, or orders that had MSN's allocated then deferred to a later delivery date. MH's A380's for example.
 
User avatar
LX015
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:28 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:03 pm

Magnolia wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
jeffrey0032j wrote:
Not the 200th frame, there are quite a number of skipped MSNs.

MSN 18 shows "on order", MSN's 24, 37, 53, 60, 91, 97, 104, 118, 129, 185, 196, 212, 245, 246, 260, 261 (out of 263 as of today) have been skipped.
So, MSN 200 is the 188th built.

Can someone explain to a newbie why they skip MSNs?


Why don't you do it?
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 3887
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:31 pm

DDR wrote:
LoganTheBogan wrote:
Apparently Emirates is really narrowing down on how this was released. Websites that published this are being hasted for sources.....

Note: Heard this from a writer who reported this on a different page - take with usual skepticism.


Oh no, does this mean no more free first class flights for Sam Chui? LMAO


Given that Sam is apparently UAE based, I thought he would know that publishing something that makes Emirates looks bad isn't really so smart. The UAE doesn't have a free press and they don't tolerate dissent.


DL747400 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
DL747400 wrote:
Were these EK aircraft mechanics or were they contractor employees?

Why does it matter?


I'm curious about how the "HR side" of the incident will be handled. Based on the preliminary information, it sounds as if this may have been either equipment failure or human error. If in fact the investigation determines that this incident was a result of human error, not following policy & procedure, etc., then it will be interesting to see whether any details emerge regarding how the people involved are handled.


EK didn't wait for a report before firing the flight crew of EK407 after that incident, so why would anybody think that some lowly maintenance crew would get treated any better?
First to fly the 787-9
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 13992
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:48 pm

lightsaber wrote:
787SIN wrote:
If they are lucky its just the nose fairing, the unpressurised section under the flight deck floor that has taken then brunt of the damage.

Not sure of the clearance though on the inboard engines if the nose gear is retracted position. Perhaps resting on the engines.

Also that DR1L is missing! You can see the cable loom (black plastic conduit) stretching up into the docking. Hopefully no other docking was around the aircraft at the time as that could make things worse still.

Stands were all around the aircraft. I suspect near the wing and other doors.

EK:. We need to order the following doors: L1, L5 and a set of flaps for the A380 and new wing Leading edges.
Airbus: what?!?

Lightsaber


I think it would be cheaper to buy one of the ex SQ birds off Dr Peters and strip the parts.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
KFLLCFII
Posts: 3495
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:08 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:59 pm

Narwhal lost its tusk.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3495
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:02 pm

Boy, A.net is slipping - 30+ posts and no one said "That'll buff right out"
 
User avatar
DL747400
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:08 pm

zkojq wrote:
DL747400 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Why does it matter?


I'm curious about how the "HR side" of the incident will be handled. Based on the preliminary information, it sounds as if this may have been either equipment failure or human error. If in fact the investigation determines that this incident was a result of human error, not following policy & procedure, etc., then it will be interesting to see whether any details emerge regarding how the people involved are handled.


EK didn't wait for a report before firing the flight crew of EK407 after that incident, so why would anybody think that some lowly maintenance crew would get treated any better?


Trust me, I would never assume that EK would treat any employee fairly. It won't surprise me at all if EK doesn't wait for a formal, official investigation to conclude before taking action against employees thought to have been involved. This is the Middle East / UAE we're talking about, after all.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.
 
xwb777
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:24 pm

Did this happen at DXB maintenance or AUH maintenance ? EK have been sending B777s and A380s to AUH for maintenance.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 13992
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:40 pm

DL747400 wrote:
Trust me, I would never assume that EK would treat any employee fairly. It won't surprise me at all if EK doesn't wait for a formal, official investigation to conclude before taking action against employees thought to have been involved. This is the Middle East / UAE we're talking about, after all.


I find those comments very unfair. After the 777 landing accident in DXB EK looked after their crew very well.

As this was a maintenance related event, there will be no “official” investigation, maybe the insurer will. This is just a normal industrial accident, by not much different to a car coming off a hoist. The object just happens to be an aircraft.

Events involving aircraft only get investigated by aircraft investigators when they are being used as aircraft.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
Karlsands
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:50 pm

Revelation wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
While the damage from the outside looks minor, it is what inside that could be the real problem. I doubt this will be a write off but it will need serious repairs, likely taking a few months. As it allegedly fell off a jack, it suggests a potential problem in mx procedures or just a human error.

The end of the report is updated with speculation that it may be as simple as actuating the nose gear without the pin in.

The pictures make it look as if the nose clipped the building structure on the way down and the radome and the weather radar dish got sacrificed.

Image

So, is it resting on the nose gear doors?

The other non-accident picture makes it appear that those are much further back.

Maybe there is a 2nd set of doors for the mechanisms?

Edit: It does look like it's resting on the higher set of doors shown in this pic:

Image

It's not clear to me if the damage is structural or if it's only skin deep.

This was a relatively low energy event compared to one happening at operating speeds.

The nose gear on the a380 goes up nose direction wise , the larger door close once the gear is locked
 
moa999
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:57 pm

lightsaber wrote:
EK:. We need to order the following doors: L1, L5 and a set of flaps for the A380 and new wing Leading edges.
Airbus: what?!?


Think they'd be used to it. Accidents happen.
Qantas recently got a big parts delivery at LAX - a new leading edge for VH-OQA after plane v truck incident
 
User avatar
Joshu
Screener
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:05 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:48 am

ER757 wrote:
Boy, A.net is slipping - 30+ posts and no one said "That'll buff right out"


Our bad!
Washington-Baltimore Spotters Group
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 3887
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:51 am

DL747400 wrote:
zkojq wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

I'm curious about how the "HR side" of the incident will be handled. Based on the preliminary information, it sounds as if this may have been either equipment failure or human error. If in fact the investigation determines that this incident was a result of human error, not following policy & procedure, etc., then it will be interesting to see whether any details emerge regarding how the people involved are handled.


EK didn't wait for a report before firing the flight crew of EK407 after that incident, so why would anybody think that some lowly maintenance crew would get treated any better?


Trust me, I would never assume that EK would treat any employee fairly.


Indeed though they might have a chance if they're local.


zeke wrote:
I find those comments very unfair. After the 777 landing accident in DXB EK looked after their crew very well.

... because the captain was an Emiriti.
First to fly the 787-9
 
User avatar
Flyingdevil737
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:54 am

Joshu wrote:
ER757 wrote:
Boy, A.net is slipping - 30+ posts and no one said "That'll buff right out"


Our bad!


I’ll be first then...
That’ll buff right out

I shall also ask:

Is it a write off?? :duck:
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the very first Fokker airplane built in the world. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker.
 
User avatar
SEPilot
Posts: 5456
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:21 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:10 am

The forward doors open only when the gear is to move, then they close after the move, be it lowering or raising. The fact that they are open indicates that someone selected gear up without the locking pins in place. The main gear wouldn’t move because of the weight on them; they go sideways so would be impossible to move while the plane is stationary. But without engines running, where did the hydraulic power come from?

As to damage, I suspect it is much more severe than most posters are allowing. There is likely to be be extensive distortion of skin panels and ribs; it may extend about a third of the way to the wing. It is repairable, but will be a huge job.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler
 
OMAAbound
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:43 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:21 am

Not to worry, there’s plenty of A380’s parked up at DWC that they weren’t using, nothing to see here, move along...

OMAA
Right hand seat of a 787. Also can be found eating sandwiches, drinking coffee and attempting to understand Chinese ATC!
 
EK216
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:41 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:25 am

I'm not quite well-versed in aviation/airplane engineering, but I don't think EK will write it off. If anything, I would think EK would want to try their best in repairing it considering the current state of Airbus and A380 production. I agree with what someone said above, the timing is good on Airbus's end so they could sell befitting parts to EK for a good price.

I do see A6-EOP taken out of commission for a lengthy time, but it's not like EK doesn't have any spare A380s to assume this bird's duties.
 
787SIN
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:00 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:42 am

Gear doors can also be opened for maintenance as well.

As for hydraulics, the aircrafts electric pumps or a ground supply cart can be used to supply pressure without engines running.

Not the first time a aircraft has been dropped on its nose during maintenance and won’t be the last.
 
dragon6172
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:56 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:46 am

SEPilot wrote:
The forward doors open only when the gear is to move, then they close after the move, be it lowering or raising. The fact that they are open indicates that someone selected gear up without the locking pins in place. The main gear wouldn’t move because of the weight on them; they go sideways so would be impossible to move while the plane is stationary. But without engines running, where did the hydraulic power come from?

As to damage, I suspect it is much more severe than most posters are allowing. There is likely to be be extensive distortion of skin panels and ribs; it may extend about a third of the way to the wing. It is repairable, but will be a huge job.

No.

Landing gear should not operate with weight on wheels, pins in or not.

What I had heard is that it fell off the nose jack. Plausible, aircraft do shake and vibrate quite a bit when the gear is operated. Probably a lot more to it though
Phrogs Phorever
 
787SIN
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:00 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:54 am

dragon6172 wrote:
SEPilot wrote:
The forward doors open only when the gear is to move, then they close after the move, be it lowering or raising. The fact that they are open indicates that someone selected gear up without the locking pins in place. The main gear wouldn’t move because of the weight on them; they go sideways so would be impossible to move while the plane is stationary. But without engines running, where did the hydraulic power come from?

As to damage, I suspect it is much more severe than most posters are allowing. There is likely to be be extensive distortion of skin panels and ribs; it may extend about a third of the way to the wing. It is repairable, but will be a huge job.

No.

Landing gear should not operate with weight on wheels, pins in or not.

What I had heard is that it fell off the nose jack. Plausible, aircraft do shake and vibrate quite a bit when the gear is operated. Probably a lot more to it though


You say no, but the right combination of actions will do it. Bit more difficult to do on a bus to a boeing but if your in the LGCIUs and performing certain tests there are some very clear warnings suggesting the gear may move and gear pins must be fitted.

Edited, see this SQ A330 in Changi from 2015, http://avherald.com/h?article=48da23e8 for what happens when you mess with the LGCIUs on a bus without confirming pins are fitted.
Last edited by 787SIN on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
dragon6172
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:56 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:08 am

787SIN wrote:
You say no, but the right combination of actions will do it. Bit more difficult to do on a bus to a boeing but if your in the LGCIUs and performing certain tests there are some very clear warnings suggesting the gear may move and gear pins must be fitted.

True. Sorry I jumped the gun. I forget these new computer controlled jets have all sorts of maintenance functions.

That being said, the original linked article does mention that it came off of a hydraulic jack.
Phrogs Phorever
 
foxtrotbravo21
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:52 am

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:10 am

Looks like a human error/mistake and aircaft should be able to be repaired. Not the frst time an aircraft have such incidents. One SIA A330 similiarly had this incident about 2 years ago when the aircraft mechanic did not put the pin in and retracted the nose wheel during a check at the gate and even had its door 1L damaged.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 21423
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: maintenance mishap causes extensive damage to an Emirates Airbus A380

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:36 pm

OMAAbound wrote:
Not to worry, there’s plenty of A380’s parked up at DWC that they weren’t using, nothing to see here, move along...

This is the comment I was expecting to read.

Ya got 100+ A380s, what does one less matter?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos