sargester
Topic Author

What's with AA's new interest from the northeast to the Caribbean?

Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:55 pm

Any thoughts lads? BOS-GCM/NAS JFK-SJO/MBJ? I know the LGA-AUA and NAS flights have been successful and all but does anyone have any more insight into why AA has been adding all these routes, don't get me wrong its a good thing but I'm just curious is all...

Thoughts and comments below lads, J

https://cayman27.ky/2019/08/gcm-bos-dir ... n-january/

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 3114987526

MIflyer12

Re: What's with AA's new interest from the northeast to the Caribbean?

Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:02 pm

Uh, they figured out that business demand declines on Saturdays and they've got spare aircraft, and see demonstrable demand from the Northeast to the Caribbean? This is like Alaska declaring, what, in 2012, that they had figured out demand was slower on Tuesdays and Wednesdays so they were going to schedule fewer flights. There's no magic or brilliance here - just Revenue Management blocking and tackling.

You're familiar with enilria's Sunday changes report, right? That captures new routes, discontinued routes and frequency changes but doesn't even look for upgauging/downgauging. Big carriers make changes all the time.
Last edited by MIflyer12 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ishrion

Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:02 pm

"Rich people over the winter".

Other than that, Vasu Raja said AA's strategy at JFK is targeting the unserved markets like GEO.

Also. it seems that AA's Caribbean BOS routes seem to be performing well, BOS-PLS is well sold out on many Saturdays 3-4 months in advance.

Brickell305

Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:08 pm

First off, I don’t think this is anything new. These flights have been happening for a while. AA ran several seasonal Caribbean routes from both JFK and BOS for years.

Re AA @ JFK, GEO is not an unserved market. There’s an incumbent carrier on the route.

Ishrion

Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:33 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
First off, I don’t think this is anything new. These flights have been happening for a while. AA ran several seasonal Caribbean routes from both JFK and BOS for years.

Re AA @ JFK, GEO is not an unserved market. There’s an incumbent carrier on the route.

BOS-GCM/NAS are new additions for AA that haven't been served since 2010 when U.S. Airways last flew them.

This shows that AA will continue to play at BOS, despite cutting numerous destinations(CDG, LHR, etc.) in recent years.

And I suppose I should rephrase "unserved" to underserved.

Brickell305

Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:47 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

BOS-GCM/NAS are new additions for AA that haven't been served since 2010 when U.S. Airways last flew them.

This shows that AA will continue to play at BOS, despite cutting numerous destinations(CDG, LHR, etc.) in recent years.

And I suppose I should rephrase "unserved" to underserved.

I’m not saying that the routes aren’t “new”. I’m saying the concept of flying seasonal Caribbean routes from BOS and JFK isn’t.

HP69

Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:09 pm

I guess these routes just make money for them.

maverick4002

Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:21 pm

Ishrion wrote:
"Rich people over the winter".

Other than that, Vasu Raja said AA's strategy at JFK is targeting the unserved markets like GEO.

Also. it seems that AA's Caribbean BOS routes seem to be performing well, BOS-PLS is well sold out on many Saturdays 3-4 months in advance.

Doesn't GEO have direct flights with BW?

caribny

Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:39 pm

maverick4002 wrote:

There are some people who think that a route is un(der) served if a US carrier isnt on the route. JFK GEO is a VFR route so BW has as much access to these people as does AA. When/if B6 enters the route we will see how long AA sticks around. AA does seem to do VFR out of JFK to the Caribbean these days.

Antarius

Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:48 pm

caribny wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

There are some people who think that a route is un(der) served if a US carrier isnt on the route. JFK GEO is a VFR route so BW has as much access to these people as does AA. When/if B6 enters the route we will see how long AA sticks around. AA does seem to do VFR out of JFK to the Caribbean these days.

From a US point of sale, Northeast to GEO is, in a lot of ways unserved. Save for the route via MIA on AA, most of the routes are multi stop with unrealistic travel times.

So yes, not unserved, but a segment is for sure.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR MAA KTM

Brickell305

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:39 pm

Antarius wrote:
caribny wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

From a US point of sale, Northeast to GEO is, in a lot of ways unserved. Save for the route via MIA on AA, most of the routes are multi stop with unrealistic travel times.

Outside of NYC, there is extremely little market from the Northeast US to GEO. By serving JFK, BW serves the overwhelming bulk of that market.

Antarius

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:19 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Antarius wrote:
caribny wrote:

Outside of NYC, there is extremely little market from the Northeast US to GEO. By serving JFK, BW serves the overwhelming bulk of that market.

But AA launched the route, which means either they thing they can displace BW, or there is more market to be served.

Outside of NYC, there is likely minimal VFR traffic. But oil and gas production is looking to ramp up, and with that a slew of associated traffic. Maybe this is their goal, plus poaching some of the US POS who are AA/OW loyal.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR MAA KTM

Brickell305

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:37 am

Antarius wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

But AA launched the route, which means either they thing they can displace BW, or there is more market to be served.

Outside of NYC, there is likely minimal VFR traffic. But oil and gas production is looking to ramp up, and with that a slew of associated traffic. Maybe this is their goal, plus poaching some of the US POS who are AA/OW loyal.

I think they believe they can poach BW’s traffic on JFK. The new oil related travel can be covered through MIA as a lot of that originates in Houston but there’s still not enough traffic to warrant IAH-GEO nonstop on UA.

caribny

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:15 pm

Antarius wrote:

To GEO the only routes that make sense are JFK and MIA/FLL. BW is on both and AA and PY are also out of MIA, so I don't know how GEO is unserved. Yes maybe BW can do with some competition on the JFK but to suggest that the route is unserved is not accurate. There is insufficient consistent demand and there will never be demand for BOS GEO. No carrier provides service even to the leisure destinations like UVF out of the DC area so that isn't viable either

BW runs 10x NONSTOP from JFK. I don't know what multi stop routes that GEO needs nonstop service to in the northeast. Its not as if AA is a fabulous product, because it isn't. I use it all the time. Its merely adequate and can be quite cruel when problems develop as I bet those who are trying to get out of BGI today have discovered.

caribny

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:39 pm

Antarius wrote:
[

The JFK GEO route is a 2 airline one. Whenever there is only one carrier fares fly thru the roof so either AA or B6 (not sure both) are needed, in addition to BW. Not because the route is "unserved". But because VFR travel is very sticky and while it is price sensitive it isn't price elastic in the way that leisure travel is. So if a carrier wishes to utilize a high fare strategy, and the market tolerates it by paying the fares (definitely true for the JFK GEO), they can get away with it. B6 uses comes in at a lower price point, at least until they become established on a route.

I doubt that many Guyanese are AA loyal, aside from those traveling to/from MIA, and especially those transferring thru that airport. AA's power in the Caribbean is due to its very strong MIA fortress hub. SoFL rivals the NY area in the O&D VFR travel generated and then AA offers connectivity to points with decent VFR, but insufficient to justify nonstop service. Points like ATL and the DC area. AA lacks these advantages in the NY market. The Caribbean VFR are much wedded to B6 as they not only use them on trips to the Caribbean, but also to FL. Caribbean VFR travel is very strong between NY/NJ and FL.

People hoped that AA entering the GEO space would have reduced airfares, but this has not happened. So I don't see that AA is meeting an unmet need.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos