mercure1
Topic Author

Garuda looks for 3rd CEO in 3 years

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:11 am

Looks like the revolving door at GA corporate offices will continue as the company languishes in red ink.

JAKARTA -- Pressure is growing on national carrier Garuda Indonesia to dump its third chief executive in as many years as the airline has been left reeling from a bookkeeping scandal and stalled restructuring reforms.
Last month, Garuda was forced by regulators to correct its 2018 results to a $179 million net loss from an $800,000 profit, marking its second year in the red.
Ari Askhara, the airline's CEO, did not attend the July 26 news conference that announced the new results. But Fuad Rizal, director of finance and risk management, offered no apologies for the drastic disparity.
Amid the fallout, there is growing sentiment in Jakarta to replace Askhara and the rest of the leadership team over the scandal. This could happen when Indonesian President Joko Widodo, known as Jokowi, starts his second term in October.

Scandal-hit Garuda Indonesia weighs third CEO in three years
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Transp ... hree-years
mercure f-wtcc

filipinoavgeek

Re: Garuda looks for 3rd CEO in 3 years

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:18 am

Makes me wonder if they should just privatize GA; it seems keeping it in government hands is more trouble than it's worth and is preventing GA from being able to make proper decisions.

eamondzhang

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:42 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
Makes me wonder if they should just privatize GA; it seems keeping it in government hands is more trouble than it's worth and is preventing GA from being able to make proper decisions.

Being in South East Asia where corrupt is all over the place (except Singapore) I highly doubt this will happen anytime soon.

Michael

filipinoavgeek

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:01 am

eamondzhang wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

Being in South East Asia where corrupt is all over the place (except Singapore) I highly doubt this will happen anytime soon.

Michael

PR was privatized long ago and VN is planning to partially privatize soon, so it's not like it can't happen.

afterburner

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:13 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:

For many Indonesians, privatization of state-owned companies is viewed as selling the country's assets. it's an unpatriotic act. The best thing the government can do is to make the company public but the government still holds the majority shares.

ixam500

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:48 am

afterburner wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

For many Indonesians, privatization of state-owned companies is viewed as selling the country's assets. it's an unpatriotic act. The best thing the government can do is to make the company public but the government still holds the majority shares.

It is partially privatized, the Indonesian MOF only owns 60.51% .

346fetish

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:37 am

What are the main factors leading to such poor results at GA?
"BA have got waterfalls in their head office. The only time we have waterfalls in the Ryanair office is when the toilet leaks."

afterburner

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:50 am

ixam500 wrote:
It is partially privatized, the Indonesian MOF only owns 60.51% .

I know. This is still acceptable. The state still own the majority of shares. Full privatization won't be acceptable.

spinotter

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:25 pm

346fetish wrote:
What are the main factors leading to such poor results at GA?

Corruption and mismanagement!

SQ789

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:25 pm

So who will be the possible new CEO when the current CEO resigns?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

HP69

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:03 pm

Garuda should really just be fully privatized to effectively compete with Lion Air.

afterburner

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:16 pm

HP69 wrote:
Garuda should really just be fully privatized to effectively compete with Lion Air.

Lion Air is not Garuda's competitor. They have different markets. Batik Air (Lion Air's subsidiary full service carrier) is. However, Batik's network is still limited.

filipinoavgeek

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 pm

afterburner wrote:
HP69 wrote:

Lion Air is not Garuda's competitor. They have different markets. Batik Air (Lion Air's subsidiary full service carrier) is. However, Batik's network is still limited.

I know my comment is going to be really off-topic to this discussion, but that comment reminds me of CAPA's claim that the Philippine market is price sensitive, almost-always praising 5J and claiming their decisions are "sensible" while being more pessimistic of PR, despite the data showing that where PR struggles is not markets where it competes with 5J (where it's doing fine), but long-haul where it has to deal with East Asian carriers and the ME3.

SQ789

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:54 pm

afterburner wrote:
HP69 wrote:

Yeah. Batik although serve smaller of international routes but largely domestic.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos