Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 4243
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Hungarian government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:34 am

Good morning,

According to various Hungarian sources, the Hungarian Prime Minister Antal Rogán stated during a parliamentary committee meeting that the government failed in buying back Budapest airport.

'It still suggests that something should happen, as government officials have recently become loud critics of the airport and its management, although the poor conditions they criticized have existed for years. The Orbán government gave an ultimatum for Budapest Airport Ltd. to put an end to the practice of using container terminals, the so-called “basic boarding gates” serving low-budget flights, which lack seats, bathrooms, heating and cooling. This “solution” was first implemented in 2012, after Malév went bankrupt, and has remained, although having been criticized by passengers.'

Will be interesting to see what happens. First they speak of a curfew, then the LCC move to Kecskemet and now they are openly handing out ultimatums. If BUD does shut down these container boxes, makes me wonder what it means for Wizz Air which is the biggest operator there. If they start using regular gates then they will have to pay much more in charges, something they will not be happy about.

With both LO and FR both putting greater emphasis on BUD, we will have to see how Wizz Air responds to all this.

Sources:

https://hungarytoday.hu/govt-take-back- ... rt-failed/
https://www.napi.hu/magyar_vallalatok/r ... 89738.html
Last edited by SQ22 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated
 
DTVG
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:06 pm

Re: HU government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:01 am

The LCC gates are bad, but you you get what you pay for (with those dirt cheap flights to BUD).
Definitely don't support the gov. buying back the airport. Just another step in centralising/cementing his and his cronies positions without necessarily delivering any added value. If they want to prove how great they are, maybe concentrate on building a damn railway connection to the main terminal.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 4243
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: HU government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:11 am

DTVG wrote:
The LCC gates are bad, but you you get what you pay for (with those dirt cheap flights to BUD).
Definitely don't support the gov. buying back the airport. Just another step in centralising/cementing his and his cronies positions without necessarily delivering any added value. If they want to prove how great they are, maybe concentrate on building a damn railway connection to the main terminal.


I think the government's issue is that Wizz Air is flying from other airports which do not have such facilities and they don't seem to mind, even if they have to pay a bit more. I suppose they are laying grounds for the removal of those nasty warehouse-like structures.
 
United857
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:37 am

Re: HU government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:06 am

To avoid confusion I think the thread title should read "Hungarian" instead of HU since HU is the IATA code for Hainan Airlines.
A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A346 A388 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B748 B752 B764 B772 B77L B77W B788 B789 CRJ2 E145 E75S E75L E190 MD88 MD90
AA AC B6 CA CX CZ DL EK FM HU JL KA LH LX MU NH NK TK UA US
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 1920
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: HU government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:10 am

United857 wrote:
To avoid confusion I think the thread title should read "Hungarian" instead of HU since HU is the IATA code for Hainan Airlines.


Title has been updated accordingly, please use reporting function next time, makes things a bit easier for us, because we do not follow every thread at every time.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 4243
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: HU government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:25 am

United857 wrote:
To avoid confusion I think the thread title should read "Hungarian" instead of HU since HU is the IATA code for Hainan Airlines.


Who would think it was Hainan government? And why you they buy back a Hungarian airport they never owned?
 
User avatar
SAAFNAV
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: HU government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:49 am

Blerg wrote:
United857 wrote:
To avoid confusion I think the thread title should read "Hungarian" instead of HU since HU is the IATA code for Hainan Airlines.


Who would think it was Hainan government? And why you they buy back a Hungarian airport they never owned?


It's about the bigger principle: Aviation uses standardised codes, and you didn't. Whilst you might figure it out from context, it is unneeded when there are already acceptable codes.
CFI/Gr. III, L-382 Loadmaster, ex C-130B Navigator
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 4243
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: HU government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:06 am

SAAFNAV wrote:
Blerg wrote:
United857 wrote:
To avoid confusion I think the thread title should read "Hungarian" instead of HU since HU is the IATA code for Hainan Airlines.


Who would think it was Hainan government? And why you they buy back a Hungarian airport they never owned?


It's about the bigger principle: Aviation uses standardised codes, and you didn't. Whilst you might figure it out from context, it is unneeded when there are already acceptable codes.


Actually I did, ISO 3166-1 country code for Hungary is HU so it was still correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... ntry_codes
 
parrotta
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Re: Hungarian government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:03 am

It is fake news. They do not want to buy it back, its simply the populist government of Hungary is trying to pressurize the airport to speed up investments as the pax traffic grew so rapidly that the airport is horribly crowded.
 
Lrockeagle
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:40 am

Re: Hungarian government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 pm

Flew through on EasyJet last year and it seemed pretty Soviet Russia-era
Lrockeagle
15 years ago

I got $20 says AA takes their 787's with GE powerplants. Just a hunch. Any takers?
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8462
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: HU government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Blerg wrote:
United857 wrote:
To avoid confusion I think the thread title should read "Hungarian" instead of HU since HU is the IATA code for Hainan Airlines.


Who would think it was Hainan government? And why you they buy back a Hungarian airport they never owned?


I initially read the thread title as 'Hainan Airlines buys BUD' and only after doing a double-take did I re-read the title and deduce what HU meant in context. The current title makes a lot more sense as it reduces grounds for confusion.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
holczakker
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: Hungarian government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:33 pm

The "tents" were not built for Wizz but for the request of Ryanair which promised to base 5-6 aircraft in BUD after Malev went bust (never happened). Wizz in fact refused to use them for a long time. Half of it were already demolished last year and a new pier was built on its place. Wizz have 14 aircraft based in BUD for 8 such remaining aircraft stands therefore it will not be much affected if those are gone as well.
Kecskemet plan is a joke, there are zero (and I mean zero) civil facilities, it is hardly able to accomodate 14 Gripens let alone 5-6 million low-cost pax a year.
The government need the money. As it happens everywhere in Hungary if you have a successful business sooner rather than later you will get an irreristible "offer" from the government or one of the oligarchs. If you refuse it, they will try to ruin you and force you out of it. This is what's happening here. If the government would be really this worried about the well-being of the public then there would be at least a single hospital in the country looking better than the ones in Lagos.
 
User avatar
SAAFNAV
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: HU government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:11 pm

Blerg wrote:
SAAFNAV wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Who would think it was Hainan government? And why you they buy back a Hungarian airport they never owned?


It's about the bigger principle: Aviation uses standardised codes, and you didn't. Whilst you might figure it out from context, it is unneeded when there are already acceptable codes.


Actually I did, ISO 3166-1 country code for Hungary is HU so it was still correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... ntry_codes


Yes, but ISO 3166-1 country codes aren't applicable to airports and aviation in this context.
Heaven forbid you should expect aviation related abbreviations and initialism on an aviation website.
CFI/Gr. III, L-382 Loadmaster, ex C-130B Navigator
 
Toinou
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:21 am

Re: Hungarian government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:30 pm

Frankly speaking, this forum makes a huge use of abbreviation, maybe a bit too much. It is not easy to handle for beginners and it encourages people to use even more of them, even when it leads to lacks of clarity.
 
kanye
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:32 am

Re: Hungarian government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:22 pm

I definitely think the government needs to do something. I was there in May and it’s the absolutely worst airport experience I ever had. Would have been much better to just demolish and let people stand outside on the grass.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 4243
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: HU government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:13 pm

SAAFNAV wrote:
Blerg wrote:
SAAFNAV wrote:

It's about the bigger principle: Aviation uses standardised codes, and you didn't. Whilst you might figure it out from context, it is unneeded when there are already acceptable codes.


Actually I did, ISO 3166-1 country code for Hungary is HU so it was still correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... ntry_codes


Yes, but ISO 3166-1 country codes aren't applicable to airports and aviation in this context.
Heaven forbid you should expect aviation related abbreviations and initialism on an aviation website.


Ok then please let us know what you consider applicable in various contexts so that we know how and what to post. You know, to make sure we further lower the standard of the general discussion, God forbid people should use their brains.

How about you actually post on the topic at hand?
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 4243
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Hungarian government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:14 pm

kanye wrote:
I definitely think the government needs to do something. I was there in May and it’s the absolutely worst airport experience I ever had. Would have been much better to just demolish and let people stand outside on the grass.


Did you also use the 'corridors' that lead from the gate to the plane? I never used BUD since MA went bankrupt so I don't know what the actual situation is like. Maybe they should have kept T1 for LCCs.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1976
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Hungarian government tries to buy back BUD due to mismanagement

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:49 pm

holczakker wrote:
The "tents" were not built for Wizz but for the request of Ryanair which promised to base 5-6 aircraft in BUD after Malev went bust (never happened). Wizz in fact refused to use them for a long time. Half of it were already demolished last year and a new pier was built on its place. Wizz have 14 aircraft based in BUD for 8 such remaining aircraft stands therefore it will not be much affected if those are gone as well.
Kecskemet plan is a joke, there are zero (and I mean zero) civil facilities, it is hardly able to accomodate 14 Gripens let alone 5-6 million low-cost pax a year.
The government need the money. As it happens everywhere in Hungary if you have a successful business sooner rather than later you will get an irreristible "offer" from the government or one of the oligarchs. If you refuse it, they will try to ruin you and force you out of it. This is what's happening here. If the government would be really this worried about the well-being of the public then there would be at least a single hospital in the country looking better than the ones in Lagos.


Wasn't there 4 based after 2012, followed by a reduction and currently 6 in 2019.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos