Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
FlyThiz
Topic Author
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:38 pm

C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:42 am

Local news station ABC7 here in Los Angeles has reported a C-130 aircraft crashed on the runway at Santa Barbara Airport in California. A local station in Santa Barbara (KEYT) reported seven crew escaped safely and a United flight was diverted to another airport. No further details at the moment.
 
 
teomeo
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:55 pm

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:01 am

Video https://twitter.com/eliasonmike/status/ ... 41792?s=21


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
SoCalPilot
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:37 am

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:16 am

Why was this moved to Military Aviation? This looks to be an International Air Response aircraft - which is a civilian C-130, not military.

Looks like 2 flights diverted back to their departure airports because of it: Mesa 5959 from DFW, And Skywest 5744 from LAX.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:45 am

 
ericm2031
Posts: 1474
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:05 am

Will be interesting how fast they can clean it up. There’s only 1 runway long enough to handle the commercial flights. UA can’t afford to have 2 Airbuses stuck an airport for too long.
 
catiii
Posts: 3889
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:47 am

ericm2031 wrote:
Will be interesting how fast they can clean it up. There’s only 1 runway long enough to handle the commercial flights. UA can’t afford to have 2 Airbuses stuck an airport for too long.


2? I thought only the one to SFO was the RON.
 
User avatar
Chasensfo
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:07 am

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:03 am

catiii wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:
Will be interesting how fast they can clean it up. There’s only 1 runway long enough to handle the commercial flights. UA can’t afford to have 2 Airbuses stuck an airport for too long.


2? I thought only the one to SFO was the RON.

I think it is only one for UA, maybe he meant the AA A319 as well?
 
cskok8
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:37 am

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:59 pm

That's not a crash. It's a good landing
 
User avatar
9lflyguy
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:49 am

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:11 pm

Here's the live ATC recording.

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ksba/ ... -0500Z.mp3

Sounds like they were having problems before they touched down.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7762
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:19 pm

That'll buff out.
 
ericm2031
Posts: 1474
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:01 pm

catiii wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:
Will be interesting how fast they can clean it up. There’s only 1 runway long enough to handle the commercial flights. UA can’t afford to have 2 Airbuses stuck an airport for too long.


2? I thought only the one to SFO was the RON.


DEN too.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 26991
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:26 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
That'll buff out.

Nah, it's a write off.
 
User avatar
Carlos01
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:52 am

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:30 pm

Revelation wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
That'll buff out.

Nah, it's a write off.


Guys, serious question, could a write-off buff out? And what about Tuesday?
 
User avatar
SAAFNAV
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Carlos01 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
That'll buff out.

Nah, it's a write off.


Guys, serious question, could a write-off buff out? And what about Tuesday?


Probably no serious damage. Appears that only right-hand side main landing gear got either stuck up, or not fully engage in the down position and 'split out' to the side. (Needs to be down and locked to prevent any sideways movement).

Props are all feathered with no 'curl's to indicate any hits with the ground whilst producing thrust. But I guess the loadies will spend a weeking doing serious buffing :grin
 
910A
Posts: 1930
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 am

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:36 pm

Nothing on International Air Response web site about this incident. According to the Arizona Republic this was one of their planes, based at IWA in Mesa, AZ.
 
N1120A
Posts: 26927
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:40 pm

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:24 am

That was an interesting event. I flew into SBA just after this happened and the plane was still there. Apparently, they had a pretty bad hydraulic failure and SMX, where they departed, was low IFR. They picked SBA for proximity, but that short runway didn't help them.
 
D L X
Posts: 12726
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 3:30 am

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:21 pm

N1120A wrote:
That was an interesting event. I flew into SBA just after this happened and the plane was still there. Apparently, they had a pretty bad hydraulic failure and SMX, where they departed, was low IFR. They picked SBA for proximity, but that short runway didn't help them.


So, SBA ops continued after the accident then, I see.
 
User avatar
WALmsp
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:25 pm

The airport was temporarily shut down until the aircraft could be moved, about 18 hours IIRC but don't quote me on that number.
 
N1120A
Posts: 26927
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:40 pm

Re: C-130 Crash at (SBA) Santa Barbara Airport, CA

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:45 am

D L X wrote:
N1120A wrote:
That was an interesting event. I flew into SBA just after this happened and the plane was still there. Apparently, they had a pretty bad hydraulic failure and SMX, where they departed, was low IFR. They picked SBA for proximity, but that short runway didn't help them.


So, SBA ops continued after the accident then, I see.


It was shut down for a day. The 15s were shut down for longer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos