HP69
Topic Author

Future of AA hub at PHX

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:29 pm

PHX is AA’s least profitable hub not located in a key intl market (MIA, NYC, and LAX). Also, it is heavily overlapping with DFW and LAX. So taking these factors into consideration, what is the future of AA at PHX?

apodino

Re: Future of AA hub at PHX

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:31 pm

Oh boy not this again. The fact that they have added LHR and haven’t downsized much in the five years since the merger tell you all you need to about this. The hub isn’t going anywhere.

wn676

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:35 pm

HP69 wrote:
PHX is AA’s least profitable hub not located in a key intl market (MIA, NYC, and LAX). Also, it is heavily overlapping with DFW and LAX. So taking these factors into consideration, what is the future of AA at PHX?

What insight do you actually have to the profitability of the hub?
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

maps4ltd

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:37 pm

:roll:
Delta Gold Medallion

cathay747

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:44 pm

With some fairness to the OP, they only joined a month ago so they haven't been around to see all the threads, or posts in threads, about PHX being dehubbed, etc.

This topic has been beaten to death. The PHX hub isn't going anywhere. As noted above, AA just started a daily year-round nonstop to/from LHR a few months ago as well as adding several other new routes (a few haven't started quite yet). PHX fills a specific niche in the AA network. And there's no more overlap with LAX/DFW than they have with their other closely-located hubs of NYC/PHL/DCA/CLT. Additionally, LAX couldn't possible absorb what PHX does as AA simply doesn't have the capacity available at LAX.

That about sums it up.
Try a Little VC-10derness

DLASFlyer

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:53 pm

Phoenix is the fastest growing large metro in the nation.

Miamiairport

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:57 pm

In the end probably some modest growth and handle some of the excess capacity AA can't (and shouldn't) put at LAX. Unless you like waiting for a gate for 30 minutes plus.

PhilMcCrackin

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:01 pm

cathay747 wrote:
With some fairness to the OP, they only joined a month ago so they haven't been around to see all the threads, or posts in threads, about PHX being dehubbed, etc.

This topic has been beaten to death. The PHX hub isn't going anywhere. As noted above, AA just started a daily year-round nonstop to/from LHR a few months ago as well as adding several other new routes (a few haven't started quite yet). PHX fills a specific niche in the AA network. And there's no more overlap with LAX/DFW than they have with their other closely-located hubs of NYC/PHL/DCA/CLT. Additionally, LAX couldn't possible absorb what PHX does as AA simply doesn't have the capacity available at LAX.

That about sums it up.

There are also seasonal upgrades to widebodies to several domestic destinations(ORD, DFW, CLT, HNL, PHL...)

The prognostications from the experts on this website that AA would dehub PHX the minute they were able to has largely failed to materialize. AA promised three years to PHX and the state of AZ before they would possibly make significant changes and that sunsetted two years ago.

There have been a few adjustments and right sizings as time has gone on, but nothing as drastic as most were predicting here.

Vctony

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:09 pm

PHX also isn’t the least profitable hub. I forgot which thread it was but I believe numbers were posted showing MIA and LAX as less profitable (potentially JFK as well).

WN732

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:18 pm

Vctony wrote:
PHX also isn’t the least profitable hub. I forgot which thread it was but I believe numbers were posted showing MIA and LAX as less profitable (potentially JFK as well).

I definitely see this. LAX is a must have market but consistently has trash fares on popular routes since there is just so much competition.

RemoFlyer

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:19 pm

Vctony wrote:

Thats what he is stating, PHX is the least profitable other than the large international cities of NYC LAX and MIA.

Theres a thread here from sometime late last year that contained a slideshow of hub margins from some investor conference. I dont remember the numbers but they were in the order CLT DFW DCA ORD PHL (two approx equal) PHX MIA LAX LGA, the last two were negative margins.

Ishrion

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:21 pm

RemoFlyer wrote:
Vctony wrote:

Thats what he is stating, PHX is the least profitable other than the large international cities of NYC LAX and MIA.

Theres a thread here from sometime late last year that contained a slideshow of hub margins from some investor conference. I dont remember the numbers but they were in the order CLT DFW DCA ORD PHL (two approx equal) PHX MIA LAX LGA, the last two were negative margins.

I’m pretty sure JFK is no longer the “least profitable” or negative hub. Vast Raja in the latest Tell Me Why said it’s actually turning a profit by targeting different markets.

UpNAWAy

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:28 pm

Vctony wrote:

I believe PHX is actually 3rd on a margin basis after DFW and CLT. The single most profitable flight (again on a margin basis) in the entire system is from PHX. Not to mention with PHX growth showing no signs of slowing. Also structurally PHX airport has more potential for growth than almost any other big city airport. In 20 years I bet PHX will surpass MIA and ORD in flights and passengers.

MrPeanut

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:39 pm

HP69 wrote:

Well LAX is maxed out for AA at the moment so they couldn't absorb much, if any incremental business from PHX. In addition, DFW is bursting at the seams especially when taking into consideration the potential Terminal C renovation. Therefore, unless the airline is willing to forego a loss in total revenue for slightly improved margins, it makes no sense at all to downsize PHX. The airline needs higher margin hubs to offset the low to mid-single digit margins at MIA, NYC, and LAX.

MIflyer12

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:39 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
Vctony wrote:

I believe PHX is actually 3rd on a margin basis after DFW and CLT. The single most profitable flight (again on a margin basis) in the entire system is from PHX. Not to mention with PHX growth showing no signs of slowing. Also structurally PHX airport has more potential for growth than almost any other big city airport. In 20 years I bet PHX will surpass MIA and ORD in flights and passengers.

Would you care to cite the source of insight on AA hub margins? On the source of individual flight margins?

I'll take the under on PHX surpassing ORD in passengers counts in 20 years, thanks.

jplatts

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:43 pm

While there are some destinations such as BUF, CLE, LIT, SDF, BNA, and TUL that have nonstop service out of PHX on WN but not on AA, there are some other destinations served by both AA and WN that currently have nonstop service out of PHX on AA but not on WN such as BOS, CUN, CLT, HNL, OGG, KOA, LGB, LBB, MEM, MAF, PVR, SJD, and DCA.

MrPeanut

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:45 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
Vctony wrote:

PHX is 6th.

Ranked by 2018 profit margin:
CLT
DCA
DFW
PHL
ORD
PHX
MIA
JFK
LGA
LAX

raptorbandito

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:45 pm

I suspect people who keep bringing this up have no idea that the Phoenix metro area has almost as many people as the Boston metro and is the same size as the San Francisco metro area. Its always compared to cities like Cleveland and Memphis which are literally half the size of Phoenix

Swadian

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:46 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
Vctony wrote:

Which flight is that from PHX?

Junction

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:46 pm

PHX is to AA what DEN is to UA and SLC is to DL.

raptorbandito

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:48 pm

MrPeanut wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:
Vctony wrote:

PHX is 6th.

CLT
DCA
DFW
PHL
ORD
PHX
MIA
JFK
LGA
LAX

If i remember correctly thought PHL, ORD, and PHX were all within 3% of eachother on margin.

RemoFlyer

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:51 pm

raptorbandito wrote:
MrPeanut wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

PHX is 6th.

CLT
DCA
DFW
PHL
ORD
PHX
MIA
JFK
LGA
LAX

If i remember correctly thought PHL, ORD, and PHX were all within 3% of eachother on margin.

Thats right 12 12 and 9 i think MIA was around 4 JFK around 2 and the last two were negative

RemoFlyer

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:53 pm

Ishrion wrote:
RemoFlyer wrote:
Vctony wrote:

I’m pretty sure JFK is no longer the “least profitable” or negative hub. Vast Raja in the latest Tell Me Why said it’s actually turning a profit by targeting different markets.

it never was, I missed JFK in my list - it sits between MIA and LAX/LGA, JFK had a positive margin until late last year.

RemoFlyer

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:55 pm

I was off by a few here and there:

CLT 14.3%
DCA 13.6%
DFW 12.7%
ORD 11.4%
PHL 11.4%
PHX 9.6%
MIA 6.7%
JFK 3.1%
LGA -0.8%
LAX -0.9%

Reference is here https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... ry-anymore

LAXLHR

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:03 pm

HP69 wrote:

OMG A G A I N????????????? How many bloody times do we have to discuss this!?. From someone that clearly does not work for AA.

Let's put this thread into a coma, which is probably where its heading anyway.
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

spinotter

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:06 pm

Junction wrote:
PHX is to AA what DEN is to UA and SLC is to DL.

That is thought-provoking. Meaning that every one of the US3 must have an intermountain hub?

MO11

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:06 pm

HP69 wrote:

This quote came from a FlightGlobal article late last year, in response to a blogger who predicted dehubbing:

Vasu Raja, vice-president of network and schedule planning at American, told Snyder earlier October that Phoenix was no longer the east-west connecting hub for the airline as it was at US Airways, but a "mountains to the world" hub.

bob75013

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:08 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:

DFW is gaining 150k a year. Does Phoenix beat that?

HP69
Topic Author

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:13 pm

bob75013 wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:

Yes, it does.

PhilMcCrackin

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:26 pm

HP69 wrote:
bob75013 wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:

Yes, it does.

No, it doesn't. The PHX MSA added a net 96k residents last year. It's been increasing year over year for quite a while now, but it won't be anywhere near DFW. However, at any rate, it's one of the fastest growing areas of the country, which can only mean good things for air service.

I suspect people who keep bringing this up have no idea that the Phoenix metro area has almost as many people as the Boston metro and is the same size as the San Francisco metro area

Along with the ignorant stereotype that it's only old people and poor people that live in Phoenix, which I'm surprised hasn't been dropped yet.

Dominion301

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:59 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:
Vctony wrote:

Would you care to cite the source of insight on AA hub margins? On the source of individual flight margins?

I'll take the under on PHX surpassing ORD in passengers counts in 20 years, thanks.

I think the poster is referring just to AA ops at those hubs and not the overall pax / flight movement totals.

ripcordd

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:55 pm

If AA could have another 100-150 gates then PHX would close but until then it will be a hub and LAX will serve the most profitable O/D routes

Brickell305

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:04 pm

Busiest Airports by Number of AA Passengers in 2018:

Dallas/Fort Worth (55.06 million)
Charlotte (40.33 million)
Miami (28.36 million)
Chicago O’Hare (27.55 million)
Philadelphia (21.09 million)
Phoenix (19.79 million)
Los Angeles (16.41 million)
Washington Reagan National (11.03 million)
New York LaGuardia (7.73 million)
New York John F. Kennedy (6.89 million)

Busiest Airports by Average Daily Departures on AA in 2018:

Dallas/Fort Worth (719)
Charlotte (617)
Chicago O’Hare (437)
Philadelphia (346)
Miami (324)
Phoenix (252)
Washington Reagan National (224)
Los Angeles (196)
New York LaGuardia (143)
New York John F. Kennedy (87)

https://thepointsguy.com/news/american- ... e-numbers/

jmc1975

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:17 pm

What will Northwest be replacing their DC9s with?

RemoFlyer

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:21 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Busiest Airports by Number of AA Passengers in 2018:

Dallas/Fort Worth (55.06 million)
Charlotte (40.33 million)
Miami (28.36 million)
Chicago O’Hare (27.55 million)
Philadelphia (21.09 million)
Phoenix (19.79 million)
Los Angeles (16.41 million)
Washington Reagan National (11.03 million)
New York LaGuardia (7.73 million)
New York John F. Kennedy (6.89 million)

Busiest Airports by Average Daily Departures on AA in 2018:

Dallas/Fort Worth (719)
Charlotte (617)
Chicago O’Hare (437)
Philadelphia (346)
Miami (324)
Phoenix (252)
Washington Reagan National (224)
Los Angeles (196)
New York LaGuardia (143)
New York John F. Kennedy (87)

https://thepointsguy.com/news/american- ... e-numbers/

Departures by hub on an avg July day

DFW 915
CLT 688
ORD 546
PHL 417
MIA 353
PHX 261
DCA 255
LAX 210
LGA 174
JFK 88

Source viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1420609&hilit=Aa+departures+by+hub

Sydscott

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:36 pm

jmc1975 wrote:

Concordes on a 1 for 1 replacement basis. (Because DC9's have about 100 pax and that's what Concordes could carry)

xdlx

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:49 pm

jmc1975 wrote:

Between the MD9/717 I say we looking at 2030ish...

PhilMcCrackin

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:52 pm

jmc1975 wrote:

757s when Boeing restarts the line.

YYZLGA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:00 pm

CLT's profitability really shows the importance of airports keeping their cost per enplaned passenger low. That low cost is clearly the key ingredient in the hub's profitability.

paulsaz

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:02 pm

PHX-HMO (Hermosillo, Sonora) is supposedly the highest margin route--I think that is for PHX only, not system wide.

YYZORD

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:14 pm

Honestly with more people moving to Phoenix Area each year, I can see it someday becoming a pacific hub with LAX being at max capacity. Probably AA or JL can start with NRT/HND for example and then move to places like ICN and HKG.

CIDFlyer

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:22 pm

PHX is also a huge O&D market at well which also helps. It’s not going anywhere

DDR

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:30 pm

LAXLHR wrote:
HP69 wrote:

OMG A G A I N????????????? How many bloody times do we have to discuss this!?. From someone that clearly does not work for AA.

Let's put this thread into a coma, which is probably where its heading anyway.

Amen. These PHX threads are getting old. New poster or not, he or she could have looked at older posts. PHX is not going anywhere as far as AA is concerned.

FSDan

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:31 pm

bob75013 wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:

I'm guessing Phoenix counts as the fastest growing large metro area by percentage growth. The Metroplex may be adding more people per year, but I believe growth rates are often measured as a percentage of the total population.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

gregn21

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:41 pm

The bottom line is if AA didn't have a hub in PHX, someone else would. Whether that's B6, AS, more WN, or someone else, AA would be at a net loss by seceding the hub to their competition. They currently use PHX to funnel traffic from the midwest and east coast to the west coast (other than LAX), and it works well. PHX local market is also currently booming, which helps and will only continue to help in the future. Any of the mid-major US airlines (B6, AS, etc.) would jump at the opportunity to seize demand at a major airport geographically located in Phoenix both for east-west connections and local catchment. Basically, AA is preventing more west coast market saturation by keeping the PHX hub afloat. Even by just breaking even, they would be preventing competition from growing out west. Fortunately for them, they are making a sizable amount of money at the same time.

And for the last time, LAX does not compete with PHX, just like JFK and PHL don't compete with each other. AA drives barely any connecting traffic through LAX and probably never will, considering the lack of gate space and room to grow. If LAX made PHX irrelevant for AA, LAX and SEA would make SLC irrelevant for DL, which (surprisingly) no one on this site ever asks about. LAX is any O&D operation, PHX is a pure connecting hub that more efficiently routes east-west traffic north of DFW and south of ORD.
Last edited by gregn21 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IPFreely

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:43 pm

cathay747 wrote:

You're right. But this is the same OP who has brought us these other gems:

HP69 wrote:
DL could easily make nonstops from JFK to NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG, TPE, MNL, andSGN work.

HP69 wrote:
DL has a way better EU network than UA though.

HP69 wrote:
I have insider info that the next Airbus clean-sheet will be the A390. It will replace the A380 and will be a 3-5-3 seating configuration for a 3-class capacity of about 450.

HP69
Topic Author

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:54 pm

IPFreely wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

HP69 wrote:
DL could easily make nonstops from JFK to NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG, TPE, MNL, andSGN work.

HP69 wrote:

HP69 wrote:
I have insider info that the next Airbus clean-sheet will be the A390. It will replace the A380 and will be a 3-5-3 seating configuration for a 3-class capacity of about 450.

All three of those statements are factual. I do have insider info stating the above. Additionally, the two statements about Delta in NYC are supported by facts.

LAXdude1023

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:02 am

HP69 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

HP69 wrote:

HP69 wrote:

HP69 wrote:

All three of those statements are factual. I do have insider info stating the above. Additionally, the two statements about Delta in NYC are supported by facts.

Please tell me what “facts” exist that would make JFK-MNL/SGN profitable.
Last edited by LAXdude1023 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

HP69
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:03 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
HP69 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

You couldn’t possibly have insider information that DL would start those pacific routes.

I meant insider info on the A390.

Ishrion

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:10 am

HP69 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

HP69 wrote:

HP69 wrote:

HP69 wrote:

https://www.flightconnections.com/route ... irlines-ua
United: ~ 27 Destinations in Europe (Including PMO/NCE)
https://www.flightconnections.com/route-map-delta-dl
Delta: ~ 26 Destinations in Europe, 27 Cities including the upcoming LGW.

In my opinion, they both have very solid and rounded-out networks across Europe. However, you'd need to factor in the AF/KL/VS and LH Group Joint Ventures.

If DL could easily make nonstops from JFK to the Asian cities listed, why haven't they? DL can't even make SEA-HKG work, and was immediately replaced by CX.

The "insider info"... is this serious?...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos