Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
bgm
Posts: 2511
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:59 pm

Are any American posters here able to comprehend that TATL doesn't necessarily mean a city in the US? What about cities in Canada, central, and South America that BA could serve?

Instead of 'I wonder if BA will fly to <insert random-Podunkville-backwater-town>. :boggled:
 
GBNWB
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:00 pm

User001 wrote:
GBNWB wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
*Sigh* nothing for the north again...Please BA put more metal in MAN.

Fred


I'm not feeling it, but wish American would try and fight back on behalf of Oneworld.

I always thought IAG would open a Vueling base to try and fight it at MAN for shorthaul but I guess EZY, Jet2, RYR, TCX and TUI have it sewn up.

If BA was ever in a position cost base wise to open MAN then it must be now, alas I cant see it. Ryanair and Easy would still be £30 cheaper.


Long haul wise, I would put bets on DL/VS moving to sew that market up in the next few years, especially with the BE/VS connect feed coming online in the very near future. So I do agree, BA/IAG need to set up now if they have any hope of being a viable competitor at MAN. And even then I doubt we would see BA at MAN long haul wise, it would highly likely be in the guise of ‘Level’.

Short haul wise, unless travelling in CE, there is very little difference between say, Easyjet and BA now, same seat pitch, same BOB service, same spaceflex galleys etc, therefore BA would find it very hard to get a foot in the door.

That said, the weekend Cityflyer flights had apparently been quite successful. Now, I’m not going to reopen the whole ‘it’s only because LCY is closed’ debate, but, just debate whether the flights have paid their way or not. Apparently CE uptake is quite high, the loads have been decent and see, to be the only non-Charter operation left outside London (and 2 EDI flights) after expanding a fair bit in past seasons. Whether that success could be transferred to a whole week operation by either an IAG partner or Ba themselves, that’s for the bean counters to decide, but I’m not holding my breath.

On the whole, I feel BA has missed the boat at MAN. I know they had bigger fish to fry, but, regardless of that fact, the boat has sailed.



I quite agree, the fatal wound was GBL being bought by EZY.
 
JamesCousins
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:19 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:19 pm

CHRISBA35X wrote:
Dare I say it... MAN/GLA-JFK???


My thoughts exactly. If not this time it's surely only a matter of time? Do they have sufficient frames to form any sort of Manchester base though?
Q400, A320-200, A321-200, 737-500, 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 787-9 // FCA, TOM, TUI, MON, MT, BA, VS, DL, BE, X9, OLY // Upcoming: W6 A320, W6 A321, EVA 77W, VS 787-9m AS A320, VS A35K, KLM E190, KLM 738, LS 737
 
BlueTrue
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:21 pm

Are any able to comprehend that it might be Lgw and not Lhr? Oh, I forgot, all services must operate from Lhr as to do otherwise would be downright stupid.
 
greenair727
Posts: 1473
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:27 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:22 pm

bgm wrote:
Are any American posters here able to comprehend that TATL doesn't necessarily mean a city in the US? What about cities in Canada, central, and South America that BA could serve?

Instead of 'I wonder if BA will fly to <insert random-Podunkville-backwater-town>. :boggled:


As I said earlier--post #75, in priority order:

LHR-CLE
LHR-STL
LHR-BSB

Brasilia is the capital of Brazil. It is not a US city.
 
by738
Posts: 3116
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:00 pm

I can't see any outwith USA... so many to choose from and lower risk than South Am or Canada
 
GBNWB
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:21 pm

BlueTrue wrote:
Are any able to comprehend that it might be Lgw and not Lhr? Oh, I forgot, all services must operate from Lhr as to do otherwise would be downright stupid.


Many new marginal routes are started with the 787 and therefore LHR. I know there was Oakland and Fort Laurderdale etc but LHR and the 787 seems to win more often with the likes of PIT, CLS, AUS, BNA, MSY etc.
 
User avatar
PDXPOL
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:47 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:24 pm

ANA787 wrote:
avtcle wrote:
[*]
trexel94 wrote:
Assuming this info is true might as well add MCI-LHR. FI has stuck around so I imagine BA would do even better with LHR being one of the largest unserved foreign routes from KC

PDX already has DL and TPA is served with LGW.


I can’t imagine BA is looking to compete with another carrier in a midsize US city.

In the PDX case, BA would easily be able to push DL out of the market. BA would have feed at the PDX side from AS.


This is an intriguing argument. Delta has established itself well at PDX, they have lucrative contracts for their international flights. If I recall Delta has announced and upgage aircraft next year to the 764, but last I checked booking engines show a 332. This may be due to the Haneda flight. Your right Alaska could provide a tremendous feed. As Well as BA on their end. But IMOP I think Delta will defend and go year round. They have an advantage of offering this route currently. From what I heard, the flight is doing very well, 80 percent plus as well as front of the plane full. If they can do this already will people bail to BA? Anyway PDX will be growing and more international flights will be coming.
 
Dragonlionting
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:30 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:02 am

Does TATL exclusively mean London-USA? It could be expansion in the Caribbean, South America, or Central America for all we know. I wonder why they haven’t started GEO-LGW yet.
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:29 am

LHR-SYR The British want another go at Fort Stanwix.
 
BWA900
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 11:20 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:54 am

One official announcement could be BA LGW-UVF, as an increase in airlift is def on the horizon since VS is planning to axe the route.
What about a LGW-SVD-GEO-LGW ? These are also some former colonies that haven't been served yet, though I'm not sure if the demand to warrant launching either route is there. Those are some possibilities along with other cities within the Canada, the West Indies & South America.
Flown: A300 A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A359 A388 AT72 AT76 B712 B735 B736 B737 B738 B739 B38M B744 B752 B753 B763 B772ER B772LR B77W B788 B789 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 DH8A DH8B DH8D E145 E170 E190
 
Antarius
Posts: 2752
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:01 am

User001 wrote:
GBNWB wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
*Sigh* nothing for the north again...Please BA put more metal in MAN.

Fred


I'm not feeling it, but wish American would try and fight back on behalf of Oneworld.

I always thought IAG would open a Vueling base to try and fight it at MAN for shorthaul but I guess EZY, Jet2, RYR, TCX and TUI have it sewn up.

If BA was ever in a position cost base wise to open MAN then it must be now, alas I cant see it. Ryanair and Easy would still be £30 cheaper.


Long haul wise, I would put bets on DL/VS moving to sew that market up in the next few years, especially with the BE/VS connect feed coming online in the very near future. So I do agree, BA/IAG need to set up now if they have any hope of being a viable competitor at MAN. And even then I doubt we would see BA at MAN long haul wise, it would highly likely be in the guise of ‘Level’.

Short haul wise, unless travelling in CE, there is very little difference between say, Easyjet and BA now, same seat pitch, same BOB service, same spaceflex galleys etc, therefore BA would find it very hard to get a foot in the door.

That said, the weekend Cityflyer flights had apparently been quite successful. Now, I’m not going to reopen the whole ‘it’s only because LCY is closed’ debate, but, just debate whether the flights have paid their way or not. Apparently CE uptake is quite high, the loads have been decent and see, to be the only non-Charter operation left outside London (and 2 EDI flights) after expanding a fair bit in past seasons. Whether that success could be transferred to a whole week operation by either an IAG partner or Ba themselves, that’s for the bean counters to decide, but I’m not holding my breath.

On the whole, I feel BA has missed the boat at MAN. I know they had bigger fish to fry, but, regardless of that fact, the boat has sailed.


Likely because MAN isn't what people make it out to be. US-MAN prices are often a fraction of USA-LHR, which likely indicates exactly why BA has decided that this is not a market pursuing.

I don't think they missed the boat. They simply let the little kayak go on purpose.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
ASA
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:01 am

RalXWB wrote:
Hourly service LHR - DTW :white:


Haha - I was going to say hourly LHR-BOS :duck:
 
PTYspotter
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:09 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:41 am

According to sources in the British Embassy of Panama, as well as insiders in the Panamanian aviation industry, British Airways intends to establish a flight from LHR to PTY. The aforementioned sources mentioned an event and meetings held at the embassy as well as BA execs meeting with CM for codeshare agreements.
 
User001
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:23 am

Antarius wrote:

Likely because MAN isn't what people make it out to be. US-MAN prices are often a fraction of USA-LHR, which likely indicates exactly why BA has decided that this is not a market pursuing.

I don't think they missed the boat. They simply let the little kayak go on purpose.


Bitter sounding and not quite correct re prices, but, if replying to posts like this helps you sleep better at night, then go ahead, knock yourself out.....
 
Antarius
Posts: 2752
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:33 am

User001 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Likely because MAN isn't what people make it out to be. US-MAN prices are often a fraction of USA-LHR, which likely indicates exactly why BA has decided that this is not a market pursuing.

I don't think they missed the boat. They simply let the little kayak go on purpose.


Bitter sounding and not quite correct re prices, but, if replying to posts like this helps you sleep better at night, then go ahead, knock yourself out.....


Bahahahahahaha

I dont care as LHR meets my needs perfectly. Seemingly it meets almost everyone elses. That time when economic realities are at odds with your emotions.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
rj1385
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:42 am

With AA needing to use their slots at JFK and their joint venture, I am wondering it we could see some utilization from JFK to more UK locations?
 
greenair727
Posts: 1473
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:27 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:02 am

So regarding this BA TATL rumor----how many different routes are supposed to be announced?
 
User001
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:15 am

Antarius wrote:
User001 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Likely because MAN isn't what people make it out to be. US-MAN prices are often a fraction of USA-LHR, which likely indicates exactly why BA has decided that this is not a market pursuing.

I don't think they missed the boat. They simply let the little kayak go on purpose.


Bitter sounding and not quite correct re prices, but, if replying to posts like this helps you sleep better at night, then go ahead, knock yourself out.....


Bahahahahahaha

I dont care as LHR meets my needs perfectly. Seemingly it meets almost everyone elses. That time when economic realities are at odds with your emotions.


And just who was comparing MAN to LHR, as no one on this thread was, thus you appear to be reading into something that isn't there.

But as said, if this is the only sort of post you can add to the thread, knock yourself out. No sleep lost here.
 
Antarius
Posts: 2752
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:36 am

User001 wrote:
Antarius wrote:
User001 wrote:

Bitter sounding and not quite correct re prices, but, if replying to posts like this helps you sleep better at night, then go ahead, knock yourself out.....


Bahahahahahaha

I dont care as LHR meets my needs perfectly. Seemingly it meets almost everyone elses. That time when economic realities are at odds with your emotions.


And just who was comparing MAN to LHR, as no one on this thread was, thus you appear to be reading into something that isn't there.

But as said, if this is the only sort of post you can add to the thread, knock yourself out. No sleep lost here.


The whole original comment was about BA and MAN, and considering BA's hub is LHR, fundamentally they are in comparison- BA has elected to forgo the MAN market in lieu of having passengers connect through LHR. A market, that I feel (and BA's decision making appears to as well) was not worth pursuing.

So, exactly how is this controversial? Other than you getting your feelings hurt?
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
acentauri
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:35 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:49 am

I can't wait until Friday and this thread is put to bed - permanently and very likely with Zero closure. :mrgreen:
 
LAXLHR
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:09 am

I would say a few do not understand how LHR works. Also its BA, they can make any destination in the US work if chosen. They also have the might of AA sales/res system to support the flight. Many BA flights are AA/BA. DL understood from the beginning or learned that sometimes VS is the better metal out of LHR for some slots/routes. You play to your strengths.
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 330s 340s 350 380
 
DobboDobbo
Posts: 1157
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:02 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:24 am

Antarius wrote:
User001 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Bahahahahahaha

I dont care as LHR meets my needs perfectly. Seemingly it meets almost everyone elses. That time when economic realities are at odds with your emotions.


And just who was comparing MAN to LHR, as no one on this thread was, thus you appear to be reading into something that isn't there.

But as said, if this is the only sort of post you can add to the thread, knock yourself out. No sleep lost here.


The whole original comment was about BA and MAN, and considering BA's hub is LHR, fundamentally they are in comparison- BA has elected to forgo the MAN market in lieu of having passengers connect through LHR. A market, that I feel (and BA's decision making appears to as well) was not worth pursuing.

So, exactly how is this controversial? Other than you getting your feelings hurt?


Antarius - I’m afraid the emotive language used in your posts on this subject matter gives your game away.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 7534
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:16 am

graham697 wrote:
In re: Switching TPA to LHR from LGW.

Words from my friends in their German counterpart is that they expect them to make the switch at some point. BA apparently was caught off guard how much business traffic LH is able to route through its a FRA hub. That said, could they do a split operation between LHR/LGW? Not sure how BA's crew contracts would view that, but operating a few key days to LHR and the rest to LGW for holiday'ers.

With a few First class seats perhaps if the market is that good?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
OlympicATH
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2001 8:43 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:37 am

greenair727 wrote:
bgm wrote:
Are any American posters here able to comprehend that TATL doesn't necessarily mean a city in the US? What about cities in Canada, central, and South America that BA could serve?

Instead of 'I wonder if BA will fly to <insert random-Podunkville-backwater-town>. :boggled:


As I said earlier--post #75, in priority order:

LHR-CLE
LHR-STL
LHR-BSB

Brasilia is the capital of Brazil. It is not a US city.


I doubt IAG would launch BSB from LHR before MAD. Highly unlikely.
Also BSB is a surprisingly small international market which AF tried and was not able to hold on to. And they are bigger than BA in Brazil (AF and KL both also fly to FOR in addition to GRU/GIG). It only seems to work for TP - I have flown the route twice myself and it was packed.
IMO BA has bigger fish to fly across the pond.
 
User001
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:40 am

Antarius wrote:
User001 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Bahahahahahaha

I dont care as LHR meets my needs perfectly. Seemingly it meets almost everyone elses. That time when economic realities are at odds with your emotions.


And just who was comparing MAN to LHR, as no one on this thread was, thus you appear to be reading into something that isn't there.

But as said, if this is the only sort of post you can add to the thread, knock yourself out. No sleep lost here.


The whole original comment was about BA and MAN, and considering BA's hub is LHR, fundamentally they are in comparison- BA has elected to forgo the MAN market in lieu of having passengers connect through LHR. A market, that I feel (and BA's decision making appears to as well) was not worth pursuing.

So, exactly how is this controversial? Other than you getting your feelings hurt?


It's not comparing LHR to MAN at all, apart from you. No one has said MAN could generate better yield/load than LHR, or that LHR would have to suffer to allow a MAN flight. Again, your reading something that isn't there to be read. So in other words, Put your angst to bed, it's making you look silly.
 
mutu
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:04 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:11 am

rj1385 wrote:
With AA needing to use their slots at JFK and their joint venture, I am wondering it we could see some utilization from JFK to more UK locations?


Actually (whilst I still think it unlikely) there could be merit in AA expanding JFK/UK regions/Europe, and BA taking over all LHR/JFK rotations.....just saying
 
chonetsao
Posts: 720
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:09 pm

mutu wrote:
rj1385 wrote:
With AA needing to use their slots at JFK and their joint venture, I am wondering it we could see some utilization from JFK to more UK locations?


Actually (whilst I still think it unlikely) there could be merit in AA expanding JFK/UK regions/Europe, and BA taking over all LHR/JFK rotations.....just saying


No way. Unless BA and AA can work out an agreement for AA nonrev on LHR JFK routes, it will be firecely contested by JFK based crew and union. AA will not give up LHR JFK on its own metal.
 
Antarius
Posts: 2752
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:27 pm

User001 wrote:
Antarius wrote:
User001 wrote:

And just who was comparing MAN to LHR, as no one on this thread was, thus you appear to be reading into something that isn't there.

But as said, if this is the only sort of post you can add to the thread, knock yourself out. No sleep lost here.


The whole original comment was about BA and MAN, and considering BA's hub is LHR, fundamentally they are in comparison- BA has elected to forgo the MAN market in lieu of having passengers connect through LHR. A market, that I feel (and BA's decision making appears to as well) was not worth pursuing.

So, exactly how is this controversial? Other than you getting your feelings hurt?


It's not comparing LHR to MAN at all, apart from you. No one has said MAN could generate better yield/load than LHR, or that LHR would have to suffer to allow a MAN flight. Again, your reading something that isn't there to be read. So in other words, Put your angst to bed, it's making you look silly.


BA only has a certain number of long haul aircraft. By pulling one off a route from LHR/LGW and moving it to MAN, that requires yields to be better.

Given that they have not, it appears that the yields do not justify the equipment use.

What is your point? That there is a conspiracy? If it was so easy then why would BA not do it.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6194
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:14 pm

greenair727 wrote:
So regarding this BA TATL rumor----how many different routes are supposed to be announced?


None probably.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
oceanvikram
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:17 pm

Like others, I too hope that London Airways will become a proper British Airways and start some long haul flights from Manchester.

But like other posters, that boat has sailed.

By the way, if any expansion to the US is a reaction to the upcoming Brexit and a trade deal with the Americans?
My comments are based as an aviation enthusiast first, then as a passenger who paid for his own ticket, after that a passenger on a business trip and finally an armchair CEO.
 
User001
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:52 pm

Antarius wrote:

BA only has a certain number of long haul aircraft. By pulling one off a route from LHR/LGW and moving it to MAN, that requires yields to be better.

Given that they have not, it appears that the yields do not justify the equipment use.

What is your point? That there is a conspiracy? If it was so easy then why would BA not do it.


Again where has anyone stated a conspiracy. Why would it require an aircraft to be pulled from LHR/LGW? I'll say again, you seem to be creating an argument that no one else is participating in?
 
PlaneMad134
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:25 pm

oceanvikram wrote:
Like others, I too hope that London Airways will become a proper British Airways and start some long haul flights from Manchester.

But like other posters, that boat has sailed.

By the way, if any expansion to the US is a reaction to the upcoming Brexit and a trade deal with the Americans?


True, BA need to offer (if able to) Manchester flights and Edinburgh too so they are serving all of Britain and not just England or London. But yes I feel it will be very unlikely too see this anytime soon if at all.

Ps. And by Serve I dont mean flights to London, I mean mini hubs or bases for mainline.
 
tonyflyboi
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:51 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:03 pm

I hear LGW-LAX as well can anyone support
 
Antarius
Posts: 2752
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:07 pm

User001 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

BA only has a certain number of long haul aircraft. By pulling one off a route from LHR/LGW and moving it to MAN, that requires yields to be better.

Given that they have not, it appears that the yields do not justify the equipment use.

What is your point? That there is a conspiracy? If it was so easy then why would BA not do it.


Again where has anyone stated a conspiracy. Why would it require an aircraft to be pulled from LHR/LGW? I'll say again, you seem to be creating an argument that no one else is participating in?


Unless BA has oodles of widebodies collecting dust, where exactly would the aircrafts come from?

The only reason there is an argument is that you are unwilling to accept the economic reality. If it was so important, so profitable to expand long haul at MAN, wouldn't BA do it already?
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
HP69
Topic Author
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:04 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:28 pm

tonyflyboi wrote:
I hear LGW-LAX as well can anyone support


I heard the same, to preempt VS.
 
voxkel
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:17 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:35 am

LHR-SAV to complement the flight to Charleston.

LGW-EWR is a flight that needs to exist but doesn't.

Highly doubt this but LHR-MDT is possible and would be a jaw-dropper. Lots of places in PA within a 90 minute drive (Harrisburg, Allentown, State College, York, Lancaster, etc), where MDT is closer than the major airports. IIRC MDT also has an Amtrak station on the keystone line.
 
LBA1432
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:52 am

It’s been talked about before on here:

But what are the chances of BA taking AA’s daily RDU-LHR route on the 787?
 
wenders825
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:29 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:56 am

LBA1432 wrote:
It’s been talked about before on here:

But what are the chances of BA taking AA’s daily RDU-LHR route on the 787?

why would they? people mention this often on here but there's little reason for them to, other than "just because"

it does extremely well on the 777, and if there was gonna be a shift to a 787, AA has plenty of their own they could use. keeping AA on RDU allows BA to open more of the PIT, MSY, BNA type stuff.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3071
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:58 am

wenders825 wrote:
LBA1432 wrote:
It’s been talked about before on here:

But what are the chances of BA taking AA’s daily RDU-LHR route on the 787?

why would they? people mention this often on here but there's little reason for them to, other than "just because"

it does extremely well on the 777, and if there was gonna be a shift to a 787, AA has plenty of their own they could use. keeping AA on RDU allows BA to open more of the PIT, MSY, BNA type stuff.


Originally more of this was supposed to happen. A while ago, AA was rumored to launch IAD-LHR on its own metal, freeing up some BA aircraft.

This rumor supposedly ended when the AA/QF JV got approved, where AA plans on utilizing its aircraft more.
 
User001
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:23 am

Antarius wrote:
Unless BA has oodles of widebodies collecting dust, where exactly would the aircrafts come from?


There are other ways of freeing up capacity than hoping there are ‘aircraft collecting dust’. There a JV partners that could adjust their routes, new aircraft coming online, other IAG airlines that could run the route (as alluded to by me when I said any ‘BA’ long haul could actually be Level)

The only reason there is an argument is that you are unwilling to accept the economic reality. If it was so important, so profitable to expand long haul at MAN, wouldn't BA do it already?


No the only reason there is an argument is because you started it by using such aggressive and defensive tones. You are also arguing against points that no one made. You accuse people of believing there is a conspiracy when no one has said anything to that regard. You say we are comparing LHR vs MAN when again no one has done so.

You just need to put your angst to bed now as, it’s getting boring now and you are clearly just trying to argue for the pure sake of arguing. The conversation was flowing quite smoothly and a good discussion was occurring until you decided to make a meal of nothing.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 13350
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:05 am

LAXLHR wrote:
Also its BA, they can make any destination in the US work if chosen.

Sure can!

~signed,
DTW, OAK, FLL



voxkel wrote:
LGW-EWR is a flight that needs to exist

Because _____?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
Arion640
Posts: 3116
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:47 am

PlaneMad134 wrote:
oceanvikram wrote:
Like others, I too hope that London Airways will become a proper British Airways and start some long haul flights from Manchester.

But like other posters, that boat has sailed.

By the way, if any expansion to the US is a reaction to the upcoming Brexit and a trade deal with the Americans?


True, BA need to offer (if able to) Manchester flights and Edinburgh too so they are serving all of Britain and not just England or London. But yes I feel it will be very unlikely too see this anytime soon if at all.

Ps. And by Serve I dont mean flights to London, I mean mini hubs or bases for mainline.


No they don’t, they just get AA to do it for them.
 
metroline2006
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:19 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:48 am

Antarius wrote:
User001 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

The whole original comment was about BA and MAN, and considering BA's hub is LHR, fundamentally they are in comparison- BA has elected to forgo the MAN market in lieu of having passengers connect through LHR. A market, that I feel (and BA's decision making appears to as well) was not worth pursuing.

So, exactly how is this controversial? Other than you getting your feelings hurt?


It's not comparing LHR to MAN at all, apart from you. No one has said MAN could generate better yield/load than LHR, or that LHR would have to suffer to allow a MAN flight. Again, your reading something that isn't there to be read. So in other words, Put your angst to bed, it's making you look silly.


BA only has a certain number of long haul aircraft. By pulling one off a route from LHR/LGW and moving it to MAN, that requires yields to be better.

Given that they have not, it appears that the yields do not justify the equipment use.

What is your point? That there is a conspiracy? If it was so easy then why would BA not do it.


I agree if IAG was anywhere near expansion at MAN they would never of retired the B767-336ER fleet or The B757-236ER fleet both being ideal aircraft to open US markets. But I also believe IAG/BA chase the premium pax’s and they can far better use there aircraft from LHR as LGW is more leisure based and the smallest aircraft they have is now the 788
 
metroline2006
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:19 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:55 am

If LGW in terms of North America was to get more flights possibly PHX, ORD , DFW etc anywhere American can move on transiting pax’s. As any stand alone destinations would require a B777-236ER and that’s a lot of seats to fill unless they transfer A321 LR
 
metroline2006
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:19 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:57 am

metroline2006 wrote:
Antarius wrote:
User001 wrote:

It's not comparing LHR to MAN at all, apart from you. No one has said MAN could generate better yield/load than LHR, or that LHR would have to suffer to allow a MAN flight. Again, your reading something that isn't there to be read. So in other words, Put your angst to bed, it's making you look silly.


BA only has a certain number of long haul aircraft. By pulling one off a route from LHR/LGW and moving it to MAN, that requires yields to be better.

Given that they have not, it appears that the yields do not justify the equipment use.

What is your point? That there is a conspiracy? If it was so easy then why would BA not do it.


I agree if IAG was anywhere near expansion at MAN they would never of retired the B767-336ER fleet or The B757-236ER fleet both being ideal aircraft to open US markets. But I also believe IAG/BA chase the premium pax’s and they can far better use there aircraft from LHR as LGW is more leisure based and the smallest aircraft they have is now the 788


Also to add on BA also let the Bmi A330-200’s go again an ideal aircraft to forge new routes with.
 
TurnaroudUK
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:40 am

timberwolf24 wrote:
Something off the wall.
LGW-ORD
MAN-ORD


A boy can dream
 
Summa767
Posts: 1847
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:30 am

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:42 am

LHR-BOG is likely at some point.
In the last few days I read that this was on the cards from a Panamanian source.
In an earlier post, somebody mentioned
Panama..
Ir could always be a triangular route as TK’s service -uncompetitive though it is to have a stop.
 
Antarius
Posts: 2752
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:24 am

User001 wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Unless BA has oodles of widebodies collecting dust, where exactly would the aircrafts come from?


There are other ways of freeing up capacity than hoping there are ‘aircraft collecting dust’. There a JV partners that could adjust their routes, new aircraft coming online, other IAG airlines that could run the route (as alluded to by me when I said any ‘BA’ long haul could actually be Level)

The only reason there is an argument is that you are unwilling to accept the economic reality. If it was so important, so profitable to expand long haul at MAN, wouldn't BA do it already?


No the only reason there is an argument is because you started it by using such aggressive and defensive tones. You are also arguing against points that no one made. You accuse people of believing there is a conspiracy when no one has said anything to that regard. You say we are comparing LHR vs MAN when again no one has done so.

You just need to put your angst to bed now as, it’s getting boring now and you are clearly just trying to argue for the pure sake of arguing. The conversation was flowing quite smoothly and a good discussion was occurring until you decided to make a meal of nothing.


There are other ways, yet they havent done it. Wonder why? All these options have been on the table for years.

Again, you're the only one arguing a point with no basis, seemingly only because you got triggered by an aggresive tone? Lol. My position supported by what an airline appears to be doing. So, either make a point that is backed by something other than your feelings or walk away and this can end right now.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
User001
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: Unconfirmed: BA to make major 2020 TATL expansion later this week

Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:41 am

Antarius wrote:
User001 wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Unless BA has oodles of widebodies collecting dust, where exactly would the aircrafts come from?


There are other ways of freeing up capacity than hoping there are ‘aircraft collecting dust’. There a JV partners that could adjust their routes, new aircraft coming online, other IAG airlines that could run the route (as alluded to by me when I said any ‘BA’ long haul could actually be Level)

The only reason there is an argument is that you are unwilling to accept the economic reality. If it was so important, so profitable to expand long haul at MAN, wouldn't BA do it already?


No the only reason there is an argument is because you started it by using such aggressive and defensive tones. You are also arguing against points that no one made. You accuse people of believing there is a conspiracy when no one has said anything to that regard. You say we are comparing LHR vs MAN when again no one has done so.

You just need to put your angst to bed now as, it’s getting boring now and you are clearly just trying to argue for the pure sake of arguing. The conversation was flowing quite smoothly and a good discussion was occurring until you decided to make a meal of nothing.


There are other ways, yet they havent done it. Wonder why? All these options have been on the table for years.

Again, you're the only one arguing a point with no basis, seemingly only because you got triggered by an aggresive tone? Lol. My position supported by what an airline appears to be doing. So, either make a point that is backed by something other than your feelings or walk away and this can end right now.



I’ll tell you what, i was going to write a post countering this, but, why waste my time when I’d get more sense from a brick wall in return, so, I am walking away from the argument, not because I can’t back my argument up, but because you can’t argue against stupidity such as this and better things to do. It’s been stated several times that you are arguing against points that we’re never made yet you seem to continue whilst adding nothing new.

So, Consider it a victory for you if it helps you sleep better at night, I’ll certainly loose no sleep in the knowledge my brain cells aren’t being eroded by you rather bizzare, repetitive and pointless argument.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos