Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aemoreira1981

Re: Spirit Airlines looking at larger aircraft from Boeing

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:30 pm

I don't get what Spirit could get that's any bigger. The Boeing 737 MAX 10 would be roughly the same exit-door capacity as the A321-200NX...possibly a bit smaller.

As for airlines not flying longer than 2500 nmi in the USA, B6 will come off that list soon with JFK-GYE, to be flown on a 200-seat A321-200NX. (Related, is JetBlue the first A321neo Cabin Flex customer to have all exits activated?)

Karlsands

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:15 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I don't get what Spirit could get that's any bigger. The Boeing 737 MAX 10 would be roughly the same exit-door capacity as the A321-200NX...possibly a bit smaller.

As for airlines not flying longer than 2500 nmi in the USA, B6 will come off that list soon with JFK-GYE, to be flown on a 200-seat A321-200NX. (Related, is JetBlue the first A321neo Cabin Flex customer to have all exits activated?)

A 787 9 for trans Atlantic etc , as Norwegian does, that would be my guess , if it isn’t just bartering chips

Pellegrine

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:46 am

Luke1994 wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

A321 is "the future"? What does that even mean? Future of what?

Boneyards.

No doubt Airbus will continue to make money on it short-mid term, but the A321 is not the "future" of the middle-market share in any form, absent their own clean-sheet.

Nonsense. Airlines won’t be ditching their shiny new Airbii for an aircraft that’s still a good 5 years away from even being unveiled, especially given Boeing’s recent track record with new aircraft.

But let’s say for fun Boeing does indeed launch a totally badass, gangbusters 797 that blows the current 321NEO away with 500nm more range, 25 more seats, and 10T higher MTOW. Sounds like a game changer and 321 killer, right?

...nah. Airbus will introduce their rewing’d A321 and all-new stretched A322, erasing the advantage Boeing thought it had with its clean sheet design. Boeing is currently stuck between a rock and a hard place, with the MAX being the rock, and Airbus being the hard place. Boeing can’t move a midsize plane right now to save their lives, and airlines are hemorrhaging money by not being able to fly their shiny new toys that have been cratered a bunch of times. At this point, I think the general public may actively avoid the MAX even if it’s ever fixed, which is a shame, as it’s a very nice aircraft outside of, well... you know..

Anyways, I can imagine there are many sleepless nights over in Chicago, and it won’t be getting any better...

Forgive me but it's Airbuses, not Airbii. Airbus is a portmanteau, it doesn't have a latin root. :duck:

SQ32

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:58 am

I see a definite PR advantage when an airline can showcase her fleet without a single MAX.

william

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:34 am

Veigar wrote:
Why do people act differently when an Airbus airline "looks" at Boeing aircraft vs the reverse? Remember the Southwest thread?

Funny, isn't? :scratchchin: 8-)

bob75013

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:08 am

SQ32 wrote:
I see a definite PR advantage when an airline can showcase her fleet without a single MAX.

You mean until there's an A320 incident????

PacoMartin

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:14 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
Personally, I think that the MAX would be no good, but a 797 or large aircraft would be. It could operate on high density routes, like EWR-FLL, and ORD-LAS. Additionally, it could justify some additional coast to coast flying (like BOS-LAS) with a lowered crew/fuel cost per passenger.
My verdict, however, is that they will not buy the 797 (unless it’s a narrow body). If they do buy a wide body, it will be an A330.

As near as I can tell, airlines simply don't purchase wide-bodies for capacity, they only purchase them if they need range. But once they own them they sometimes use them on capacity routes.

I think this list is accurate, but I won't swear to it.

Maximum route in statute miles
2874 ANC KOA Alaska Airlines Inc.
2704 BOS SFO JetBlue Airways
2626 FLL LIM Spirit Air Lines
2617 MSP AUA Sun Country Airlines d/b/a MN Airlines
2555 EWR OAK Southwest Airlines Co.
2193 SAN RDU Frontier Airlines Inc.
1900 CVG LAX Allegiant Air

For some reason, the foreign airlines seem much more willing to approach the limit range of the aircraft. Compañía Panameña de Aviación, S.A. (COPA) flies B737 Next Generation jets from Panama City (PTY) to both San Francisco (SFO-3,320 mi) and Montevideo (MVD-3,385 mi) in Uruguay.

It is not clear how many of these airports Spirit could imagine service to. It is possible they may be more comfortable with the XLR A321 instead of an A330.

FLL -> range in statute miles
3608 BSB Brasília [Presidente Juscelino Kubitschek Intl], DF, BR
4082 GRU São Paulo [Guarulhos Intl (Governador André Franco Montoro)], SP, BR
4135 SCL Santiago (Santiago de Chile) [Arturo Merino Benítez Intl (Pudahuel Intl)], RM, CL
4421 EZE Buenos Aires [Aeropuerto Internacional Ezeiza/Ministro Pistarini], C, AR
4477 MVD Montevideo [Carrasco/General Cesáreo L. Berisso Intl], CA, UY
Last edited by PacoMartin on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polot

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:18 pm

I think you guys are reading into/getting hyped up about this larger aircraft comment way too much. It is almost certainly A321 vs 737-10.

DL757NYC

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:22 pm

Redd wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:

If the 797 is built to fit a Code C gate, the 321 is a dead bird flying.

Yeah maybe, but in 6-8 years from now assuming Boeing gets their sh*t together.

Doubt it the 797 has been a paper airplane for years. They have nothing between the 737 and the 787 makes me scratch my head. Meanwhile AB is loading up the books with 321 neo orders. The 797 is almost reaching the point of missing the market.

peterinlisbon

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:48 pm

Luke1994 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Luke1994 wrote:
I’ll eat my hat if Boeing can make a widebody that’s more efficient than the 321. Call me skeptical, but I’ll believe it when I see it. Lol.

Just in case that happens, I suggest that you go to the bakery and ask them to make a hat for you out of pastry.

TTailedTiger

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:56 pm

Maybe Boeing will develop a varient of the 797 just for Spirit. A model with no exit limits that will jettison the walls and ceiling in an emergency. Then Spirit could be free to cram in as many people as possible.

CalebWilliams

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:49 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Maybe Boeing will develop a varient of the 797 just for Spirit. A model with no exit limits that will jettison the walls and ceiling in an emergency. Then Spirit could be free to cram in as many people as possible.

I just heard that Ryanair ordered 300 of these sight unseen.

planecane

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:07 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

Or increase capacity by replacing overhead bins with flying rollercoaster seats. You pay a fee for assistance getting down.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos