Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

CarbonFibre
Topic Author

Rumour: Alex Cruz & Klaus Goresch leaving BA

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:51 am

Some talk on Twitter and the BALPA forum that the CEO and COO are leaving BA.

readytotaxi

Re: Rumour: Alex Cruz & Klaus Goresch leaving BA

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:56 am

Light at the end of the tunnel?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

CarbonFibre
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:58 am

Puppet master Willie Walsh isn't going though...

CHRISBA35X

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:11 am

Cruz leaving would be a major step in the right direction. Enough with the Ryanair stuff, we want our full service flag carrier back.

LHRFlyer

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:25 am

That decision rests with Willie Walsh.

May be proved wrong but a CEO being replaced in the middle of an industrial dispute would not be the message IAG would want to send to its trade unions.

Glom

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:37 am

CHRISBA35X wrote:
Cruz leaving would be a major step in the right direction. Enough with the Ryanair stuff, we want our full service flag carrier back.

Well I'm not sure the extent of what you're referring to, but if it has anything do with things like being charged £70 to select a seat, then too bloody right.

When this strike was called, my return flight from YUL was cancelled so I booked a replacement with AC, which is not only better because it is from YOW where I actually will be at the end of my trip, but also I could pick my seat no questions asked.

The seat selection charge has got to outdo Ryanair for scummy grind-the-customer-into-the-dirt attitude.

LAX772LR

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:41 am

CHRISBA35X wrote:

They can start with abolishing stupid sh!t like charging J pax £100+ each way for seat selection :irked:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

TC957

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:21 am

About time too...I hope WW has kicked them out. BA is a far worse airline under their leadership.
So many negative customer service impacts over the years and this latest flight-cancelled-flight-reinstated malarkey over the upcoming strikes takes the piss with their suffering passengers.

jumpjets

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:53 am

A little bit of me says ‘be careful what you wish for’ as if this rumour proves to be true we don’t know who will replace them.

On the other hand as a former BA enthusiast who now only flies BA when there is little or no other choice I sort of feel any replacement can’t be any worse for BA service standards and reputation than Mr Cruz.

ClassicLover

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:33 am

LAX772LR wrote:
They can start with abolishing stupid sh!t like charging J pax £100+ each way for seat selection :irked:

This is actually good, as it stops the once a year travellers taking up the good seats. Silver and Gold frequent flyers can select any seat at booking for free, so the seat fees actually mean frequent flyers have their pick. Bronze frequent flyers also get to pick at 7 days out. I think it's very fair!

If you're paying for seating in Club World, surely you're earning enough status to actually be Bronze or above anyway, so theoretically you'd only pay for it on one or two trips max.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

AstanaMagic

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:33 am

“Leaving” (the company) with a Golden Handshake, Fired or being moved to Level/Iberia? I also won’t be shedding any tears for Cruz, but he needs to be sent packing - the recent silence over the industrial action cancellations/reinstatement are unforgivable
2020: AGP, KSQ, LGW, LHR, MXP, TAS, ZRH
A/C: 32B, 32S, 752, 763, E90
A/L: BA, HY, LX, 2L

LAX772LR

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:37 am

ClassicLover wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

This is actually good, as it stops the once a year travellers taking up the good seats.

In some minds I guess. But "pay five figures, get crap seat" isn't exactly a sparkling product endorsement, which might be why so few top tier carriers do such a ridiculous thing.
Last edited by LAX772LR on Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

eurotrader85

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:38 am

Agreed-Cruz needs kicking out.

Service has fallen further and further behind its peers to the point of embarrassment under Cruz, and cost cut after cost cut is only making things worse operationally. These strikes must be the final nail in the coffin. BA has historically always had very good relations with its pilots and the mess around this strike is just embarrassing from an operational and workforce relation perspective. We all know WW pulls a lot of strings but even in the really tough days of restructuring a decade ago, he didn't lose the pilots.

I also think the WB order was utterly baffling under Cruz. In the worlds most slot constrained airport, and their primary hub, solely purchase aircraft that gives no meaningful capacity growth to what is being retired is bemusing to me. Many will say WW was never really serious about additional 380s as practically asking for them for free, but at least there was a debate and vision to expand, even if only talking about another 6-8.

I think Cruz's tenure has been very poor from both a strategic and operational perspective. Investors are getting fed up with issues such as IT failures and top line must be struggling as people look elsewhere for their corporate dollar J seats. That is real boardroom pressure on WW to make a change. Cruz should go back to running a budget airline.

VSMUT

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:39 am

ClassicLover wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

This is actually good, as it stops the once a year travellers taking up the good seats. Silver and Gold frequent flyers can select any seat at booking for free, so the seat fees actually mean frequent flyers have their pick. Bronze frequent flyers also get to pick at 7 days out. I think it's very fair!

If you're paying for seating in Club World, surely you're earning enough status to actually be Bronze or above anyway, so theoretically you'd only pay for it on one or two trips max.

Which wouldn't be a problem if they didn't have the worst business class cabin in the world. I have never seen such a rush to avoid middle and aisle seats on any other airline. Passengers clearly hate anything other than window seats.

eurotrader85

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:40 am

LAX772LR wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

This is actually good, as it stops the once a year travellers taking up the good seats.

In some minds I guess. But "pay five figures, get crap seat" isn't exactly a sparkling of a product endorsement, which might be why so few top tier carriers do such a ridiculous thing.

Agreed, you pay for J, you should expect seat selection. It isn't an FR flight from STN to LCJ.

Glom

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:25 am

ClassicLover wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

This just seems so wrong. You talk like decent seats are the entitlement of the frequent flyers alone and less frequent flyers are intruders, peasants unworthy of them. Now that's the British Airways welcome we expect.

The point of loyalty privileges is to enhance the experience, not to avoid degradation of the experience. It is a poor business strategy to send out a message telling potential new customers that because they're new, they will be given crappy seats.

Boeing74741R

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:38 am

ClassicLover wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Some of the competition do not charge for seat selection in their equivalent cabins. To be honest, I expect to have to pay to select a specific seat if I'm flying economy or with a LCC, but move up the cabins I expect that to be included irrespective of status. Either way, that fee does seem a tad excessive.

You're also assuming that people who fly CW/business are doing so out of their own pockets. Some people fly in those cabins because somebody else is paying such as their employer.

eurotrader85 wrote:
We all know WW pulls a lot of strings but even in the really tough days of restructuring a decade ago, he didn't lose the pilots.

Willie Walsh started his career as a pilot, so you would like to think that he would go about things in such a way that at least keeps pilots on side. How many other airline CEO's started off on the flight deck?

Geoff1947

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:42 am

ClassicLover wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

How many of these frequent flyers are buying their own tickets ?

ClassicLover

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:43 am

LAX772LR wrote:
In some minds I guess. But "pay five figures, get crap seat" isn't exactly a sparkling product endorsement, which might be why so few top tier carriers do such a ridiculous thing.

Five figures? In what, Indonesian rupiahs? Even London Heathrow to Sydney return is well under five figures - at Christmas! You can get that flight for as little as €3,500 return, starting in Dublin, in months like May. So they are not charging five figures at all.

VSMUT wrote:
Which wouldn't be a problem if they didn't have the worst business class cabin in the world. I have never seen such a rush to avoid middle and aisle seats on any other airline. Passengers clearly hate anything other than window seats.

Have you flown in it? It's not that awful. Either way, it's a moot point as the new business class has arrived and is being fitted gradually to the fleet over the next few years.

eurotrader85 wrote:
Agreed, you pay for J, you should expect seat selection. It isn't an FR flight from STN to LCJ.

I agree with you on that point. I would expect not to pay to select a seat in business class and would be fairly irked to have to do so. I only avoid it thanks to status, and I am grateful I have that status every time I book. It's an actual tangible cash saving for me when it comes to seat fees.

Glom wrote:
This just seems so wrong. You talk like decent seats are the entitlement of the frequent flyers alone and less frequent flyers are intruders, peasants unworthy of them. Now that's the British Airways welcome we expect.

The point of loyalty privileges is to enhance the experience, not to avoid degradation of the experience. It is a poor business strategy to send out a message telling potential new customers that because they're new, they will be given crappy seats.

You made your own point. The point of loyalty privileges is to enhance the experience - exactly! Going up levels means you can directly save money by not having to pay the seat fees. I see that as an absolute enhancement of the experience!

Anyway, all of this is completely unrelated to the topic at hand, so I'll leave that here.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

PlaneMad134

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:45 am

Maybe they will be back to British airways and serving the whole uk and not Just London, here is hoping.

VSMUT

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:57 am

ClassicLover wrote:
Have you flown in it? It's not that awful. Either way, it's a moot point as the new business class has arrived and is being fitted gradually to the fleet over the next few years.

Yes, I have had to endure it multiple times on the 787. It really is nasty and substandard compared to other airlines. Either you are stuck in the coffin in the middle, or in the middle of the aisle where you have less privacy than in a commuter train. And it isn't just me. Despite being one of those privileged card holders, window seats are always completely gone a week prior to the flight. Every single passenger at the check-in desk was asking about window seats. Same at the boarding desk and a few asked the FAs as well. Passengers universally dislike those coffin and aisle seats. It happens on every long-haul flight I take with BA. I is something I have never seen on any other airline.

And then there is the bit about having to stare right into the face of a stranger.

cougar15

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:00 pm

LHRFlyer wrote:

May be proved wrong but a CEO being replaced in the middle of an industrial dispute would not be the message IAG would want to send to its trade unions.

Perhaps exactly the signal you would want to send in such a dispute...… think about it!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

vhtje

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:19 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I agree with you ref keeping the seats free for senior BAEC members, but BA don't have to monetise it. In J, asking a customer to pay £100 to select a seat after they have paid over £3,000 for a ticket is the very definition of being greedy. What BA should do, is block out the popular seats and hold them for frequent flyers. So if Mary Bloggs, who has never flown BA before and has no oneworld status, books a £3,500 return BA fare, she can, at the time of booking, select a seat for free, but to her, seats 60A/K and 62A/K (for example) are already 'taken' so she can't reserve them at the time of booking. Minutes later, Mr Gold Card Holder books the same fare on the same flight, and he can select his favourite seat, 62K. Six weeks later, 24 hours from departure, Mary checks in online and now can choose 62A, since it is now showing as available.

See? That policy would satisfy frequent flyers, but wouldn't alienate and infuriate the Mary Bloggs of the world.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

dfdubflyer

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:31 pm

Lowly silver card holder here, but I would appreciate on intra-Euro flights to receive a free soft drink as a 'thank you' for loyalty.

TravelsUK

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:58 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
Lowly silver card holder here, but I would appreciate on intra-Euro flights to receive a free soft drink as a 'thank you' for loyalty.

Couldn't agree more, a comp coffee wouldn't kill them financially but would go a long way in recognising ones loyalty.
757 flights 1 378 350 km 34.4x around earth 2024 h 18 min 74.3 days 12.0 weeks

BA777FO

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:56 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
eurotrader85 wrote:
We all know WW pulls a lot of strings but even in the really tough days of restructuring a decade ago, he didn't lose the pilots.

Willie Walsh started his career as a pilot, so you would like to think that he would go about things in such a way that at least keeps pilots on side. How many other airline CEO's started off on the flight deck?

The pilots would have gone on strike over the introduction of the Openskies airline but were prevented when the company won an injunction over a quirk of European law. WW lost the pilots alright.

I could go on but I'll leave it at that!

jetblueguy22

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:43 pm

CHRISBA35X wrote:

Great, then pay up. Because as much as everybody on here likes to pretend people will pay for service the market says otherwise.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

abrelosojos

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:58 pm

Cruz has been one of the worst CEO's I have seen run a major airline in a long time. But then again, he was way in above his head, and being a founder of clickair is not the same as running BA.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

Bongodog49

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:05 pm

Why would the IAG board engineer the removal of a CEO who is overseeing annual growth and profits year after year. IMO this is all wishful thinking on the part of BALPA whose leader has shown his commitment to negotiation by flying off on a a 2 week holiday.

slinky09

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:10 pm

It's not surprising after the disaster of a summer that BA has had, just Google the current state of misinformation and crap customer service around the planned pilots strike in September, and this on top of a record fine for their data breach, and more mismanagement throughout this year. If they are going then it is 100% due.

Austin787

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:30 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
CHRISBA35X wrote:

Great, then pay up. Because as much as everybody on here likes to pretend people will pay for service the market says otherwise.

But is BA actually matching Ryanair fares?

Data points: I searched London-Dublin, London-Rome, and London-Athens on random dates, and BA is consistently more expensive than Ryanair.

Galwayman

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:35 pm

On last minute fares, BA are often cheaper than Ryanair .... Ryaniar will usually have no last minute seats in high summer

Antarius

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:51 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
Cruz has been one of the worst CEO's I have seen run a major airline in a long time. But then again, he was way in above his head, and being a founder of clickair is not the same as running BA.

Saludos,
Alex

He's overseen growth and record profits. I understand not liking him or the cuts, but it isn't like he is causing BA to go broke.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

BA777FO

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:13 pm

Bongodog49 wrote:
Why would the IAG board engineer the removal of a CEO who is overseeing annual growth and profits year after year. IMO this is all wishful thinking on the part of BALPA whose leader has shown his commitment to negotiation by flying off on a a 2 week holiday.

A negotiation that's been going on since November last year, this hasn't just broken down after a couple of difficult weeks. I don't begrudge anyone a holiday after 9 months (okay he took another break in April, hardly atypical for Brits).

This rumour has not come from Balpa, nor do I give it much credence either.

There have been short term profits, but at what long term cost?

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:25 pm

I thought the "Vuelization" of BA was seen as good by the investors.
But the customers...

shamrock350

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:27 pm

If this is true, I hope it means he's leaving IAG completely, last thing anyone wants is for him to turn up in his hi-vis at Aer Lingus or Iberia!

I think the biggest shame of all is that this year should have been one of celebration for everyone connected with British Airways, instead it's been one public relations disaster after another. No amount of cupcakes or retro liveries is going to shake off the negativity that has come with numerous computer failures, strike threats, data leaks or afternoon tea debacles. It doesn't help that the media love nothing more than to kick a dog when it's down so the constant stream of stories of how far the airline has supposedly fallen shows no sign of stopping. How much of this can be blamed on one man is questionable, but removing him, the face of corporate BA, would go some way in sending a message of change to the media and general public.

Unfortunately, anyone who thinks BA is going to scrap unpopular fees, become a luxury carrier and drastically alter its business model, is simply dreaming. There is nothing wrong with the financials at BA, it's a profitable and growing business, it gets the biggest sliced of the pie at IAG and it makes the most money in return. What British Airways needs is better direction and a better ability to handle issues properly and not make bad situations worse, Alex Cruz has proven he's not the man for that job.

I also think someone needs to take a look at the brand further down the line, it feels dated and clichéd. The washed out denim look in economy was a choice...

Galwayman wrote:
On last minute fares, BA are often cheaper than Ryanair .... Ryaniar will usually have no last minute seats in high summer

I think often might be pushing it, it happens but not very often. A quick look at this weekend on half a dozen competing routes shows Ryanair the cheapest by far on every on, BA doesn't even come close.

TheLion

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:51 pm

Some excellent points made upthread. From me though it’s a simple good riddance if true.

Yet it’s Big Bad Willie who’s the real problem. He’s imposed an extreme example of neoliberal supremacist capitalism upon IAG and its storied airlines, and it shows.

The fear is that rather than learn from such failings, companies of the future will simply copy the Walshist blueprint because it’s profitable. And it is evident that the results will not be good ones for the people that really matter - staff and consumers - while further enriching shareholders.

Bongodog49

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:06 pm

TheLion wrote:
Some excellent points made upthread. From me though it’s a simple good riddance if true.

Yet it’s Big Bad Willie who’s the real problem. He’s imposed an extreme example of neoliberal supremacist capitalism upon IAG and its storied airlines, and it shows.

The fear is that rather than learn from such failings, companies of the future will simply copy the Walshist blueprint because it’s profitable. And it is evident that the results will not be good ones for the people that really matter - staff and consumers - while further enriching shareholders.

Would you rather the more typical airline scenario that rewards the staff and passengers whilst destroying the shareholders ?

As soon as anyone uses phrases like neoliberal supremacist capitalism I know they are quoting from the book of Corbyn

Cunard

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:51 am

PlaneMad134 wrote:
Maybe they will be back to British airways and serving the whole uk and not Just London, here is hoping.

I would say that British Airways do serve the whole of the UK and NOT just London.

Other than the London airports of London Gatwick, London Heathrow, London City and London Stansted, British Airways actually DOES serve the whole of the UK.

Within the United Kingdom British Airways fly from, Aberdeen, Belfast City, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Isle of Man, Jersey, Leeds/Bradford, Manchester, Newcastle.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Antarius

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:12 am

Bongodog49 wrote:
TheLion wrote:

Would you rather the more typical airline scenario that rewards the staff and passengers whilst destroying the shareholders ?

As soon as anyone uses phrases like neoliberal supremacist capitalism I know they are quoting from the book of Corbyn

More likely, the result is neither benefiting passengers nor shareholders. It would be a like pre-IAG Iberia. Shitty for everyone.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

PlaneMad134

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:38 am

Yes to London, I meant from say Manchester or Edinburgh or Birmingham to abroad.

SCQ83

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:02 am

geoshina wrote:
I thought the "Vuelization" of BA was seen as good by the investors.
But the customers...

Alex Cruz was promoted to BA's CEO to "Vuelinizate" it. So he made what he was supposed to.

Probably there is nothing left to make BA more low-cost :D. Unless they plan to start selling Scratch Cards like Ryanair.

LuxuryTravelled

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:21 am

The success of the CityFlyer experiments flying from the regions has been somewhat patchy - so for mainline BA to expand beyond London does seem quite unrealistic.

vhtje

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:36 am

LuxuryTravelled wrote:
The success of the CityFlyer experiments flying from the regions has been somewhat patchy - so for mainline BA to expand beyond London does seem quite unrealistic.

Do you have any evidence that this has been ‘patchy’? I understood these flights were doing well.

I have never understood why VS can make long haul flying from Manchester work, but BA can’t. A daily 788 on MAN to JFK would work as a start...
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

itisi

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:48 am

Just flown BA loghaul in Y, service was good, crew good, food not bad. Better then CX that's for sure! Booking seats, that was about 30-35 ukp a seat.
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

LuxuryTravelled

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:02 am

vhtje wrote:
LuxuryTravelled wrote:

Do you have any evidence that this has been ‘patchy’? I understood these flights were doing well.

I have never understood why VS can make long haul flying from Manchester work, but BA can’t. A daily 788 on MAN to JFK would work as a start...

They left Birmingham - same in Bristol. Manchester seems to work well though.

JamesCousins

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:38 am

PlaneMad134 wrote:
Maybe they will be back to British airways and serving the whole UK and not Just London, here is hoping.

I think they're going to have to as the Virgin 'Connect' plans get into gear. I think they're a little way off yet, but lets be honest Virgin & Co haven't bought Flybe to carry on treading water with Q400s.... With that being said I'd be surprised to see much action from BA outside London and Manchester...
Q400, A320-200, A321-200, 737-500, 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 787-9 // FCA, TOM, TUI, MON, MT, BA, VS, DL, BE, X9, OLY // Upcoming: W6 A320, W6 A321, EVA 77W, VS 787-9m AS A320, VS A35K, KLM E190, KLM 738, LS 737

seansasLCY

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:40 am

vhtje wrote:
LuxuryTravelled wrote:

I presume if it was doing well it would have been expanded. Airlines like to make money (except Alitalia). BA probably could make MAN-JFK work but they could also use that 788 on lots of routes from LHR that would make more money. BA's non-London routes are the same as many other European legacy carriers - very few of them operate from cities other than their main hub to foreign destinations.

abrelosojos

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:50 pm

Antarius wrote:
abrelosojos wrote:

Saludos,
Alex

He's overseen growth and record profits. I understand not liking him or the cuts, but it isn't like he is causing BA to go broke.

= Really? Has he? Or, was it just a legacy of WW that he coat tailed? He has been utterly incompetent, and have left the airline with no vision whatsoever of it's legacy or future. BA's profit was rising BEFORE Alex and was a factor of legacy WW decisions and deep industry consolidation.

Saludos,
Alex

https://www.ft.com/content/d2a98b34-2f8 ... 016697f225
Live, and let live.

JannEejit

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:06 pm

LHRFlyer wrote:

Or maybe it's exactly the message they want to send to the trade unions ?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos