727LOVER
Topic Author

Spirit Airlines will offer comfier seats.....for free !

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:52 pm

Spirit Airlines has spent three years trying to persuade passengers it shed its reputation as a company that hates its customers. Now it’s on the cusp of doing something unthinkable not long ago — it’ll invest in more comfortable seats.

Significant delay on WiFi

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/spirit-a ... 09284.html

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

TObound

Re: Spirit Airlines will offer comfier seats.....for free !

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:58 pm

Bogus article that reads like a PR piece with not much actual details about those "comfier seats".

Seabear

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:08 pm

"The floggings will continue until morale improves".

PatrickZ80

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:25 pm

TObound wrote:
Bogus article that reads like a PR piece with not much actual details about those "comfier seats".

If you care to read, there are some details. For example, it will come with a full-size tray table. It'll weigh less than the current seats and it won't have power plugs or IFE screens. Between the lines you can read that the seat pitch most likely won't change, however since they said there'll be changes to the cushion and the pre-recline I assume it'll be more straight (less reclined). In that position, you'll notice the narrow seat pitch less. The changes to the cushion I assume will lift your butt up higher and your legs lower so your position is more like standing than sitting.

AA737-823

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:43 pm

TObound wrote:

Actually, there are details:
“There will be enhancements,” CEO Ted Christie said Monday in an interview at the International Aviation Forecast Summit in Las Vegas. “There will be some changes to the cushion and to the pre-recline. There will be a full-size tray table.”
For Spirit, that's HUGE. better cushion, recline, and tray table. That's pretty much 100% of the features that a Spirit seat offers to a passenger to begin with. So it's actually Earth-shattering, from that perspective!!

airbazar

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:14 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
TObound wrote:

"however since they said there'll be changes to the cushion and the pre-recline I assume it'll be more straight (less reclined). In that position, you'll notice the narrow seat pitch less.

Actually you notice it more. Without recline humans need to slide their butts forward in order to attain a more comfortable position, putting the knees a lot closer to the seatback i nfront of you. In other words, with recline you push back but without recline you slide forward.

Chemist

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:23 pm

In other words, you gain a theoretical inch of pitch with the downside of flying on a thinly padded seat that feels like plywood, while sitting ever more erect to have your face practically in the seat back in front of you.
Spirit and Frontier are two airlines I always exclude when I look for flights. I'm not that cheap.

cranberrysaus

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:33 pm

Everyone gets a half-hour of comfier seating when it's their turn to fly the plane.

peterinlisbon

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:14 am

I think you misspelled the word three.

MIflyer12

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:53 am

Keeping the 28" pitch is a no-go for me. Black and yellow sound a little aggressive as colors for aircraft interiors, too. Best of luck to them.

luckyone

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:55 am

Nothing about that release in any way implies greater seat comfort.

Ziyulu

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:59 am

Can't be much worse than on the AA 319s, right?

Super80Fan

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:05 am

Seabear wrote:
"The floggings will continue until morale improves".

On NK you have to pay for your floggings. On UA you get them for free.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

September11

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:29 am

Yes, I flew on Spirit CMH-LAS-CMH last year. I felt like I was sitting on a bench watching a baseball game that went extra 2 or 3 innings. I accepted the ticket anyway.
Airliners.net of the Future

timpdx

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:37 am

How about on time performance, my recent tries with them have been 0-4 in that metric. Short hop LA Vegas is fine, longer, nope, unless buying the big front seat, which is a fine product BTW. But if you're hours late, umm, no. And you have to price that big seat and compare to mainline, too. Its pretty awful, willing to endure on an hour-ish flight, but need reliability, including getting me home if irrops hits, not the "you're SOL" story.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos