User avatar
RWA380
Topic Author
Posts: 5527
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:07 pm

8 new all jet routes

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2019-08- ... California

Spokane to Los Angeles (two daily departures)
Spokane to San Francisco (two daily departures)
Redmond / Bend, Oregon to Los Angeles
Redmond / Bend, Oregon to San Diego
Redmond / Bend, Oregon to San Francisco
Boise to Los Angeles (two daily departures)
Missoula, Montana to Los Angeles
Anchorage to San Francisco

"We're excited to offer even more nonstops between vibrant Pacific Northwest communities and our growing hubs in California," said Brett Catlin, Alaska Airlines managing director of capacity planning and alliances. "Whether it's travel for a weekend getaway to Missoula or a day trip to San Francisco, we're proud to offer nearly 600 daily flights between West Coast cities."

New Spokane service:

Start Date Destination Departs Arrives Frequency Aircraft

Jan. 7 Spokane-Los Angeles 7:00 a.m.-9:40 a.m.Daily E175

Jan. 7 Spokane-Los Angeles 4:40 p.m. 7:20 p.m. Daily E175

Jan. 7 Los Angeles-Spokane 9:30 a.m.-12:10 p.m. Daily E175

Jan. 7 Los Angeles-Spokane 8:05 p.m.-10:45 p.m. Daily E175

March 19 Spokane-San Francisco 7:00 a.m.-9:28 a.m. Daily E175

March 19 Spokane-San Francisco 4:20 p.m.-5:49 p.m. Daily E175

March 19 San Francisco-Spokane 9:00 a.m.-11:12 a.m. Daily E175

March 19 San Francisco-Spokane 7:35 p.m.-9:47 p.m. Daily E175

New Redmond / Bend service:

Start Date Destination Departs Arrives Frequency Aircraft

Jan. 7 Redmond / Bend-Los Angeles 6:00 p.m.- 8:50 p.m. Daily E175

Jan. 7 Los Angeles-Redmond / Bend 8:00 a.m.-10:39 p.m. Daily E175

March 19 Redmond / Bend-San Diego 11:40 a.m.-2:08 p.m. Daily E175

March 19 San Diego-Redmond / Bend 2:50 p.m.-5:19 p.m. Daily E175

March 19 Redmond / Bend-San Francisco 7:00 a.m.-8:38 a.m. Daily E175

March 19 San Francisco-Redmond / Bend 6:35 p.m.-8:14 p.m. Daily E175

New Boise service:

Start Date Destination Departs Arrives Frequency Aircraft

March 19 Boise-Los Angeles 7:45 a.m.-8:58 a.m. Daily E175

March 19 Boise-Los Angeles 4:30 p.m.-5:45 p.m. Daily E175

March 19 Los Angeles-Boise 8:30 a.m.-11:33 a.m. Daily E175

March 19 Los Angeles-Boise 7:55 p.m.-10:58 p.m. Daily E175

New Missoula service:

Start Date Destination Departs Arrives Frequency Aircraft

March 19 Missoula-Los Angeles 7:00 p.m.-8:59 p.m. Daily E175

March 19 Los Angeles-Missoula 2:45 p.m.-6:24 p.m. Daily E175

New Anchorage service:

Start Date Destination Departs Arrives Frequency Aircraft

April 21 Anchorage-San Francisco 11:45 a.m.-5:25 p.m. Daily 737

April 21 San Francisco-Anchorage 9:45 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Daily 737

"Alaska is also increasing the frequency of flights between certain markets:

Jan. 7, there will be an additional flight between San Francisco and Orange County, California, for a total of seven daily nonstops.
Jan. 7, the flight between San Diego and Orlando, which is currently flown five times a week, becomes daily nonstop service.
March 19, there will be the addition of a second daily flight between San Francisco and Chicago O'Hare.
March 19, second daily flights will begin between San Diego and Boise, and San Diego and Santa Rosa, California.
March 19, nonstop service between San Diego and San Jose, California, increases from four to six flights daily.
May 21, a second daily flight between San Diego and Boston goes into service."
Last edited by RWA380 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 926
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:20 pm

For what it's worth, here's the discussion thread on AS California strategy:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1424075
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:21 pm

ANC-SFO way overdue. Hopefully turns year round.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5871
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:23 pm

RDM-SAN and MSO-LAX don't see service on other carriers (tomorrow, according to ITA Matrix, anyway) but the other routes have a competitor (or two).

Maybe this will get UA to offer something better than CR2s on GEG/RDM-SFO.
 
Chuska
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:35 pm

Also glad to see ANC-SFO will be daylight flights in both directions.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:58 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
RDM-SAN and MSO-LAX don't see service on other carriers (tomorrow, according to ITA Matrix, anyway) but the other routes have a competitor (or two).

Maybe this will get UA to offer something better than CR2s on GEG/RDM-SFO.


American, Delta, and United all operate LAX-MSO seasonally. Not sure when the season begins and ends but it’s interesting to see a fourth airline on the route.
 
flyoregon
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:07 pm

Holy smokes. 3 new routes from RDM is huge! Outside of Portland, AS has pretty much given up on Oregon cities like EUG and MFR, and for a while I thought Redmond, but this is awesome news.
 
hiflyeras
Posts: 2050
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:09 pm

AS has plenty of built in business in MSO, RDM and BOI with Mileage Plan members/credit card holders. I'm sure they've done their research and feel they can syphon off business from others on these routes.

Not surprised it is all E175's...wonder if mainline a/c are moving to some routes to fund this expansion?
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5114
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:26 pm

RWA380 wrote:
8 new all jet routes

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2019-08- ... California

Spokane to Los Angeles (two daily departures)
Spokane to San Francisco (two daily departures)
Redmond / Bend, Oregon to Los Angeles
Redmond / Bend, Oregon to San Diego
Redmond / Bend, Oregon to San Francisco
Boise to Los Angeles (two daily departures)
Missoula, Montana to Los Angeles
Anchorage to San Francisco

"We're excited to offer even more nonstops between vibrant Pacific Northwest communities and our growing hubs in California," said Brett Catlin, Alaska Airlines managing director of capacity planning and alliances. "Whether it's travel for a weekend getaway to Missoula or a day trip to San Francisco, we're proud to offer nearly 600 daily flights between West Coast cities."

New Spokane service:

Start Date Destination Departs Arrives Frequency Aircraft

Jan. 7 Spokane-Los Angeles 7:00 a.m.-9:40 a.m.Daily E175

Jan. 7 Spokane-Los Angeles 4:40 p.m. 7:20 p.m. Daily E175

Jan. 7 Los Angeles-Spokane 9:30 a.m.-12:10 p.m. Daily E175

Jan. 7 Los Angeles-Spokane 8:05 p.m.-10:45 p.m. Daily E175

March 19 Spokane-San Francisco 7:00 a.m.-9:28 a.m. Daily E175

March 19 Spokane-San Francisco 4:20 p.m.-5:49 p.m. Daily E175

March 19 San Francisco-Spokane 9:00 a.m.-11:12 a.m. Daily E175

March 19 San Francisco-Spokane 7:35 p.m.-9:47 p.m. Daily E175

New Redmond / Bend service:

Start Date Destination Departs Arrives Frequency Aircraft

Jan. 7 Redmond / Bend-Los Angeles 6:00 p.m.- 8:50 p.m. Daily E175

Jan. 7 Los Angeles-Redmond / Bend 8:00 a.m.-10:39 p.m. Daily E175

March 19 Redmond / Bend-San Diego 11:40 a.m.-2:08 p.m. Daily E175

March 19 San Diego-Redmond / Bend 2:50 p.m.-5:19 p.m. Daily E175

March 19 Redmond / Bend-San Francisco 7:00 a.m.-8:38 a.m. Daily E175

March 19 San Francisco-Redmond / Bend 6:35 p.m.-8:14 p.m. Daily E175

New Boise service:

Start Date Destination Departs Arrives Frequency Aircraft

March 19 Boise-Los Angeles 7:45 a.m.-8:58 a.m. Daily E175

March 19 Boise-Los Angeles 4:30 p.m.-5:45 p.m. Daily E175

March 19 Los Angeles-Boise 8:30 a.m.-11:33 a.m. Daily E175

March 19 Los Angeles-Boise 7:55 p.m.-10:58 p.m. Daily E175

New Missoula service:

Start Date Destination Departs Arrives Frequency Aircraft

March 19 Missoula-Los Angeles 7:00 p.m.-8:59 p.m. Daily E175

March 19 Los Angeles-Missoula 2:45 p.m.-6:24 p.m. Daily E175

New Anchorage service:

Start Date Destination Departs Arrives Frequency Aircraft

April 21 Anchorage-San Francisco 11:45 a.m.-5:25 p.m. Daily 737

April 21 San Francisco-Anchorage 9:45 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Daily 737

"Alaska is also increasing the frequency of flights between certain markets:

Jan. 7, there will be an additional flight between San Francisco and Orange County, California, for a total of seven daily nonstops.
Jan. 7, the flight between San Diego and Orlando, which is currently flown five times a week, becomes daily nonstop service.
March 19, there will be the addition of a second daily flight between San Francisco and Chicago O'Hare.
March 19, second daily flights will begin between San Diego and Boise, and San Diego and Santa Rosa, California.
March 19, nonstop service between San Diego and San Jose, California, increases from four to six flights daily.
May 21, a second daily flight between San Diego and Boston goes into service."

AS made an error in their PR -- well one that I'm aware of at least.

The new SAN-RDM route is effective Jan 7, not March 19. Other than that I can verify that the rest of the SAN-stuff is correct (according to their schedules anyway.)

There were lots of axed routes from SAN and apparently some from SFO to fund all these new routes. SAN lost service to DAL (previously reported and discussed), ELP, ABQ, OMA, MCI, STL & MSP and our BWI service has been radically reduced to (very) seasonal. I'm sure this aspect of today's announcement will be discussed a lot more, here or elsewhere.

bb
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 1115
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:27 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
AS has plenty of built in business in MSO, RDM and BOI with Mileage Plan members/credit card holders. I'm sure they've done their research and feel they can syphon off business from others on these routes.

Not surprised it is all E175's...wonder if mainline a/c are moving to some routes to fund this expansion?


They’ve flown LAX-BOI in the past as well although on the Q400.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Wow. Almost nothing at SJC. Very disappointing.
 
panam330
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Checking the GDS, it looks like the RDM-SAN/LAX/SFO, GEG-SFO, and MSO-LAX flying is QX. The rest of the 175 adds, as of now, are OO.
 
flyfresno
Posts: 837
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:42 pm

Wowza, RDM has been adding a lot of service lately! Any plans to finally add jetways there?
 
flyoregon
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:46 pm

flyfresno wrote:
Wowza, RDM has been adding a lot of service lately! Any plans to finally add jetways there?


Weather in RDM is good enough and the walk from the airplane to the terminal isn’t that far, I’m not sure it’s worth the investment. I know the most recent terminal expansion was done to accommodate jetways, but there wasn’t any need for them at the time. Now with lots of E-jets, 737s, and A319/320, it MIGHT be worth it, but I personally like that there aren’t any.
 
flyfresno
Posts: 837
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:54 pm

flyoregon wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
Wowza, RDM has been adding a lot of service lately! Any plans to finally add jetways there?


Weather in RDM is good enough and the walk from the airplane to the terminal isn’t that far, I’m not sure it’s worth the investment. I know the most recent terminal expansion was done to accommodate jetways, but there wasn’t any need for them at the time. Now with lots of E-jets, 737s, and A319/320, it MIGHT be worth it, but I personally like that there aren’t any.


Most of the year, yes, it's nice to walk outside and smell the fresh air in RDM. However, there are some quite cold mornings/evenings in the winter and it does rain and even occasionally snow, albeit not a lot. I think the bigger issue is for people who have trouble getting up stairs, especially to a 737. I'm not sure if they have a ramp capable of a 737 in RDM, but the jetway just seems more comfortable for that type of a/c.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5114
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:00 pm

AirFiero wrote:
Wow. Almost nothing at SJC. Very disappointing.

It does appear that SJC-BUR has been cut in November; it looks permanent.

And as mentioned up-thread, AS will up the SAN-SJC route to 6x daily starting in March! Of course that is compared to the 16 weekday r/t run by the competition! At least this is one market in which WN has turned up the heat but AS has decided to stay and battle.

bb
 
flybry
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:26 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:07 pm

I wonder if United will pull out of the SFO-ANC market now that Alaska will be entering it? :/
 
ATCGOD
Posts: 519
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:24 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:09 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:
AS has plenty of built in business in MSO, RDM and BOI with Mileage Plan members/credit card holders. I'm sure they've done their research and feel they can syphon off business from others on these routes.

Not surprised it is all E175's...wonder if mainline a/c are moving to some routes to fund this expansion?


They’ve flown LAX-BOI in the past as well although on the Q400.



Now competing with UA and DL on this route. There was some speculation that WN would get into the mix on an LAX route from BOI, but I'm sure that would be overcapacity at this point.
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:24 pm

flyoregon wrote:
Holy smokes. 3 new routes from RDM is huge! Outside of Portland, AS has pretty much given up on Oregon cities like EUG and MFR, and for a while I thought Redmond, but this is awesome news.


Redmond is up-and-coming.
Delta Gold Medallion
 
tphuang
Posts: 3239
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:25 pm

SANFan wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
Wow. Almost nothing at SJC. Very disappointing.

It does appear that SJC-BUR has been cut in November; it looks permanent.

And as mentioned up-thread, AS will up the SAN-SJC route to 6x daily starting in March! Of course that is compared to the 16 weekday r/t run by the competition! At least this is one market in which WN has turned up the heat but AS has decided to stay and battle.

bb

interesting, I've long wondered how long that route was going to stick around given how much it underperformed. Not a surprise it's gone now.

It seems to me that AS is retreating against WN in both SAN/SFO, especially on non-west coast stuff, and going back to more of PNW strategy. This should be a more profitable strategy for them, although I would imagine it's going to really hurt their network and ff base in California.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3923
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:27 pm

flybry wrote:
I wonder if United will pull out of the SFO-ANC market now that Alaska will be entering it? :/


Slim chance. The UA today is more aggressive than the UA of Smisek. UA will defend its hubs instead of rolling over.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6314
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:55 pm

flybry wrote:
I wonder if United will pull out of the SFO-ANC market now that Alaska will be entering it? :/


It’s actually a resumption. AS has flown SFO-ANC in the past.
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:58 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:
AS has plenty of built in business in MSO, RDM and BOI with Mileage Plan members/credit card holders. I'm sure they've done their research and feel they can syphon off business from others on these routes.

Not surprised it is all E175's...wonder if mainline a/c are moving to some routes to fund this expansion?


They’ve flown LAX-BOI in the past as well although on the Q400.


It started with F28s, then CRJs. I’m pretty sure this was Horizon’s first SoCal route. I think the Q400s flying the route was the nail in the coffin for that route. They’ll be competing with 2x Delta, 2x United, and 2x weekly Allegiant. Spokane also had LAX by AS service for a couple years or so awhile back, but on main line.

BOI-RNO is permanently cut.
Last edited by LAXBUR on Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:58 pm

SANFan wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
Wow. Almost nothing at SJC. Very disappointing.

It does appear that SJC-BUR has been cut in November; it looks permanent.

And as mentioned up-thread, AS will up the SAN-SJC route to 6x daily starting in March! Of course that is compared to the 16 weekday r/t run by the competition! At least this is one market in which WN has turned up the heat but AS has decided to stay and battle.

bb


They cut SJC-BUR completely? greaaaat.

Yeah, I saw the frequency increase to SAN. Probably no net growth, though. Maybe AS has hit their limits at SJC?
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:01 pm

Also, AS is flying west coast to BOS, but not from SJC, a major tech route. B6 has one red eye. That should be a no-brainer route for AS. I’d bet real money DL jumps on that route as part of their SJC focus city thing.
 
MAH4546
Posts: 25754
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:07 pm

A lot of routes are ending or being seasonally suspended, though.

LAX loses one route, PHL.

SAN loses OMA, MCI, DAL, ELP and others.

SFO sees a lot of seasonal suspensions on East Coast flying.
a.
 
TWA902fly
Posts: 3058
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 1999 5:47 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:10 pm

Ishrion wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
RDM-SAN and MSO-LAX don't see service on other carriers (tomorrow, according to ITA Matrix, anyway) but the other routes have a competitor (or two).

Maybe this will get UA to offer something better than CR2s on GEG/RDM-SFO.


American, Delta, and United all operate LAX-MSO seasonally. Not sure when the season begins and ends but it’s interesting to see a fourth airline on the route.


One minor correction - I don't believe AA serves LAX-MSO, but I bet they will codeshare on this AS service. The only route that AS is adding that is currently served by AA is RDM-LAX.

Boise BOI on the other hand is currently served by UA, DL, and G4, so that will be a full house. And again I assume AA will codeshare with AS on this route.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on
 
BAINY3
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:12 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
ANC-SFO way overdue. Hopefully turns year round.

Agreed. I always figured that would be one of the very first adds after the VX merger. I'm surprised it took this long.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5871
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:19 pm

Ishrion wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
RDM-SAN and MSO-LAX don't see service on other carriers (tomorrow, according to ITA Matrix, anyway) but the other routes have a competitor (or two).

Maybe this will get UA to offer something better than CR2s on GEG/RDM-SFO.


American, Delta, and United all operate LAX-MSO seasonally. Not sure when the season begins and ends but it’s interesting to see a fourth airline on the route.


The significance isn't AS the the 4th carrier on the route - it's the only announced daily carrier.
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:22 pm

I think Alaska did this a bit backwards. Instead of adding a bunch of Mid-West cities from say San Diego they should have started with these West Coast adds. I didn’t quite get the idea of competing with Southwest (outside of intra-California) while absorbing Virgin. Perhaps down the road some of these reductions can come back.
 
TWA902fly
Posts: 3058
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 1999 5:47 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:29 pm

BAINY3 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
ANC-SFO way overdue. Hopefully turns year round.

Agreed. I always figured that would be one of the very first adds after the VX merger. I'm surprised it took this long.


AS did serve ANC-SFO up until at least 2002, they must have had their reasons. Most likely they were fine with funneling all the traffic from ANC through SEA, PDX, and LAX. This also might be a way to prevent UA from going year-round on ANC-SFO. UA's year-round ANC-DEN seems to do just fine, as does AS's ANC-LAX.

The Bay Area probably generates enough traffic for Alaska-Bay Area O+D to justify this flight. I doubt it has much to do with the Virgin America purchase. I cannot think of a single connection available over SFO that wasn't available over SEA/PDX/LAX/ORD, although it does make sense to connect two of their hubs - ANC and SFO.

http://www.departedflights.com/AS102802.html

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on
 
FlyHossD
Posts: 1939
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:55 pm

flyfresno wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
Wowza, RDM has been adding a lot of service lately! Any plans to finally add jetways there?


Weather in RDM is good enough and the walk from the airplane to the terminal isn’t that far, I’m not sure it’s worth the investment. I know the most recent terminal expansion was done to accommodate jetways, but there wasn’t any need for them at the time. Now with lots of E-jets, 737s, and A319/320, it MIGHT be worth it, but I personally like that there aren’t any.


Most of the year, yes, it's nice to walk outside and smell the fresh air in RDM. However, there are some quite cold mornings/evenings in the winter and it does rain and even occasionally snow, albeit not a lot. I think the bigger issue is for people who have trouble getting up stairs, especially to a 737. I'm not sure if they have a ramp capable of a 737 in RDM, but the jetway just seems more comfortable for that type of a/c.


"I'm not sure if they have a ramp capable of a 737 in RDM, but the jetway just seems more comfortable for that type of a/c." UA operated A319s DEN-RDM this summer, so the answer to your question about a ramp in RDM is yes.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.
 
flyfresno
Posts: 837
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:57 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Weather in RDM is good enough and the walk from the airplane to the terminal isn’t that far, I’m not sure it’s worth the investment. I know the most recent terminal expansion was done to accommodate jetways, but there wasn’t any need for them at the time. Now with lots of E-jets, 737s, and A319/320, it MIGHT be worth it, but I personally like that there aren’t any.


Most of the year, yes, it's nice to walk outside and smell the fresh air in RDM. However, there are some quite cold mornings/evenings in the winter and it does rain and even occasionally snow, albeit not a lot. I think the bigger issue is for people who have trouble getting up stairs, especially to a 737. I'm not sure if they have a ramp capable of a 737 in RDM, but the jetway just seems more comfortable for that type of a/c.


"I'm not sure if they have a ramp capable of a 737 in RDM, but the jetway just seems more comfortable for that type of a/c." UA operated A319s DEN-RDM this summer, so the answer to your question about a ramp in RDM is yes.


They could be using airstairs, which make it much more difficult.
 
flyoregon
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:01 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Weather in RDM is good enough and the walk from the airplane to the terminal isn’t that far, I’m not sure it’s worth the investment. I know the most recent terminal expansion was done to accommodate jetways, but there wasn’t any need for them at the time. Now with lots of E-jets, 737s, and A319/320, it MIGHT be worth it, but I personally like that there aren’t any.


Most of the year, yes, it's nice to walk outside and smell the fresh air in RDM. However, there are some quite cold mornings/evenings in the winter and it does rain and even occasionally snow, albeit not a lot. I think the bigger issue is for people who have trouble getting up stairs, especially to a 737. I'm not sure if they have a ramp capable of a 737 in RDM, but the jetway just seems more comfortable for that type of a/c.


"I'm not sure if they have a ramp capable of a 737 in RDM, but the jetway just seems more comfortable for that type of a/c." UA operated A319s DEN-RDM this summer, so the answer to your question about a ramp in RDM is yes.


Alaska flew 737's from Seattle last summer, and in addition to your mention of UA, Allegiant and Sun Country will both start flying to RDM shortly all with larger planes.

It's amazing to see Redmond's growth. I remember standing on the curb waiting to be picked up after a flight from Portland at RDM in 2005 and talking with someone about how cool it was to finally see jets at RDM with their new 2x daily service from SLC and at that time newly announced weekend service to DEN. Before that it was all Dash-8 and E120 from PDX, SFO, and SEA. Fast forward nearly 15 years and we're talking about mainline United flying there, Sun Country, Allegiant all with mainline sized aircraft, and destinations as far as Chicago plus every major west coast hub airport.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 4021
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:15 pm

flyfresno wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

Most of the year, yes, it's nice to walk outside and smell the fresh air in RDM. However, there are some quite cold mornings/evenings in the winter and it does rain and even occasionally snow, albeit not a lot. I think the bigger issue is for people who have trouble getting up stairs, especially to a 737. I'm not sure if they have a ramp capable of a 737 in RDM, but the jetway just seems more comfortable for that type of a/c.


"I'm not sure if they have a ramp capable of a 737 in RDM, but the jetway just seems more comfortable for that type of a/c." UA operated A319s DEN-RDM this summer, so the answer to your question about a ramp in RDM is yes.


They could be using airstairs, which make it much more difficult.

I think you pretty much need a ramp in 2019 to be ADA compliant. Getting a ramp to an airport if needed should be no big deal. Many times the airport themselves will buy the ramps.
 
717atOGG
Posts: 837
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:10 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:20 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
A lot of routes are ending or being seasonally suspended, though.

LAX loses one route, PHL.

SAN loses OMA, MCI, DAL, ELP and others.

SFO sees a lot of seasonal suspensions on East Coast flying.

To elaborate, it looks like SFO-PHL/BWI/RDU/BNA are going seasonal, and SFO-MCI/SAN-MSP might have been cut, based on a cursory search of Google Flights.
Long live the Boeing 757!
 
lhpdx
Posts: 884
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:34 pm

Wow, not one single flight to Portland.in this announcement............
 
vadodara
Posts: 970
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:39 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
I think Alaska did this a bit backwards. Instead of adding a bunch of Mid-West cities from say San Diego they should have started with these West Coast adds. I didn’t quite get the idea of competing with Southwest (outside of intra-California) while absorbing Virgin. Perhaps down the road some of these reductions can come back.


I concur; they can deploy their E175 advantage against WN on these routes. As they garner market share, they can fill in these later.

I think some of the E Coast routes were pre Virgin. Perhaps once that got digested, some rearranging happened.
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:42 pm

lhpdx wrote:
Wow, not one single flight to Portland.in this announcement............


LOL! So ridiculous.

"Air China increases service between China and North Korea"

airliners.net: "WOW! Nothing about Portland!"

In one way or another PDX serves all the airports mentioned. Does your home airport need to have a service announcement everytime another airport gets service?
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6314
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:48 pm

Just to confirm what I think was stated, SJC-BUR is being completely discontinued?
 
jplatts
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:54 pm

TWA902fly wrote:
AS did serve ANC-SFO up until at least 2002, they must have had their reasons. Most likely they were fine with funneling all the traffic from ANC through SEA, PDX, and LAX. This also might be a way to prevent UA from going year-round on ANC-SFO. UA's year-round ANC-DEN seems to do just fine, as does AS's ANC-LAX.

The Bay Area probably generates enough traffic for Alaska-Bay Area O+D to justify this flight. I doubt it has much to do with the Virgin America purchase. I cannot think of a single connection available over SFO that wasn't available over SEA/PDX/LAX/ORD, although it does make sense to connect two of their hubs - ANC and SFO.

http://www.departedflights.com/AS102802.html


In addition to O&D, AS will also have some connecting feed from smaller Alaskan markets that do not have nonstop service to the contiguous U.S. on the SFO-ANC route. AS also has an FF base in Alaska (in both ANC and smaller Alaskan markets) to support SFO-ANC nonstop service on AS.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5114
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:00 pm

717atOGG wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
A lot of routes are ending or being seasonally suspended, though.

LAX loses one route, PHL.

SAN loses OMA, MCI, DAL, ELP and others.

SFO sees a lot of seasonal suspensions on East Coast flying.

To elaborate, it looks like SFO-PHL/BWI/RDU/BNA are going seasonal, and SFO-MCI/SAN-MSP might have been cut, based on a cursory search of Google Flights.

Concerning SAN, I might refer you both to post #9 above.

tphuang wrote:
It seems to me that AS is retreating against WN in both SAN/SFO, especially on non-west coast stuff, and going back to more of PNW strategy. This should be a more profitable strategy for them, although I would imagine it's going to really hurt their network and ff base in California.

I agree. I posted elsewhere that when the dust settles next year, AS will fly no further east from SAN than Steamboat Springs, CO, except for 4 or 5 routes, mainly transcons. That says a lot about AS's route strategy going forward -- fly mainly the far west.

But yes, if AS still desires to keep building a core of business travelers in the SAN area, cutting a bunch of good-sized business-oriented destinations in the Midwest and east sure doesn't help.

Also, BWI-SAN is very bothersome to me; technically, the route is now suspended from Oct thru May -- that folks, is an 8 month "seasonal" suspension; and that assumes the flight will actually return next May. It is also AS's only service from SAN to the DC area, an important destination that I suspect should be considered a year-round business market from SAN. Very troubling AS.

bb
 
jplatts
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:01 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
A lot of routes are ending or being seasonally suspended, though.

LAX loses one route, PHL.


DL adding LAX-PHL nonstop service is a possibility since (a) PHL is one of the top destinations traveled to from LAX that DL doesn't currently serve nonstop from PHL, (b) AA and NK are currently the only carriers serving PHL nonstop from LAX, (c) DL already has a significant amount of nonstop service out of PHL to its Midwestern and East Coast hubs and focus cities, and (d) AA and WN are currently the only airlines that have more market share at PHL than DL does.
 
Noise
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 1999 7:38 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:11 pm

Wait, does AS consider SAN a hub??
 
flyoregon
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:16 pm

lhpdx wrote:
Wow, not one single flight to Portland.in this announcement............


Nor Seattle, so what's the issue?
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:32 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Just to confirm what I think was stated, SJC-BUR is being completely discontinued?


Yes, it is gone. I feel without a major push into Burbank they didn't have a real chance. I am guessing the majority of people originating out of Burbank don't even look at other options outside of Southwest. I would have loved option on Alaska to the Bay Area and say Sacramento, I hate LAX. But again, with junk fares and a 800 lb gorilla competitor it would likely take awhile to catch on, if ever.
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:59 pm

Congrats AS
Last edited by clrd4t8koff on Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
Chugach
Posts: 1229
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:18 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:10 pm

flybry wrote:
I wonder if United will pull out of the SFO-ANC market now that Alaska will be entering it? :/


Highly doubtful. SFO-ANC on UA is dependent on Bay Area origination and is one of those routes handy to have for frequent fliers during the summer season. UA has also invested a lot in to Alaska flying (ANC and FAI) in recent years.

SFO-ANC is a hub-hub route for AS, and will likely depend more on Alaska-originating traffic.

I’d also point out that when VX feebly attempted SFO-ANC quite a few years back, UA responded with 2X daily 757’s. VX couldn’t get out of ANC fast enough. AS is a different story, though.
 
User avatar
smithbs
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:55 pm

Nice to see GEG getting some attention. Hope the routes work out.
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: AS expands Pacific Northwest to California with 8 new routes & adds frequencies on others

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:14 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
Wow, not one single flight to Portland.in this announcement............


LOL! So ridiculous.

"Air China increases service between China and North Korea"

airliners.net: "WOW! Nothing about Portland!"

In one way or another PDX serves all the airports mentioned. Does your home airport need to have a service announcement everytime another airport gets service?


He’s not the only one. I expect to see another poster here shortly pointing out that AS is ignoring DTW.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos