distance
Topic Author

LAX to India

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:44 am

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ind ... 006846.cms

This was 2 years ago, with Air India very likely to initiate LAX-DEL. What happened here, with the success of SFO-DEL, was the strategy changed to focus more on SFO? With ORD, JFK/EWR, and SFO served with nonstops to India, is LAX next to receive a nonstop to India? LAX is well positioned to almost every other international market, and the demand appears present for a nonstop service.

LAX772LR

Re: LAX to India

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:23 am

There's some demand, but India is one of the few regions where SFO's demand is far in excess of LAX's... which is why it's not surprising at all that there's about to be double-daily SFO service, before LAX gets a nonstop.

The Bay's Indian business ties and (especially) population absolutely Dwarf's SoCal's.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

LAX772LR

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 am

A nonstop would be a nice time-saver for those willing to pay for it though.

DEL and LAX are positioned such that a connection in east Asia (HKG) is essentially the same total distance as both a connection in west Asia (DXB) or western Europe (LHR).

A nonstop would save a good 3.5-4hrs of flight time alone over the quickest current connecting flights available, not even accounting for transit time.

RainerBoeing777

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:39 am

AI's problem to expand in the US needed the Boeing 777-200LR but they sold 5, and with the remaining 3 it is used for SFO-DEL, the B77Ws are very large to add new destinations, before launching DEL-LAX, the route DEL-SFO must be consolidated with B77W, which will free the B77L and be able to launch LAX-DEL, in the future they will need the Boeing 787-9 for more destinations such as BOS, DFW, IAH, SEA, YUL and optimize destinations such as IAD and YYZ
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG

TWA772LR

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:19 am

AI did fly to LAX as late as the mid 2000s. There are photos of their 744s flying over In N Out Burger. Does anyone know what was the intermediate point for that service or did the 744 actually pull it off nonstop?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

airportugal310

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:22 am

LAX772LR wrote:
A nonstop would be a nice time-saver for those willing to pay for it though.

DEL and LAX are positioned such that a connection in east Asia (HKG) is essentially the same total distance as both a connection in west Asia (DXB) or western Europe (LHR).

A nonstop would save a good 3.5-4hrs of flight time alone over the quickest current connecting flights available, not even accounting for transit time.

To this point, it could also be one of those "if you launch it, they will come" type of flights...though the flight time and equipment tie-up both make it an expensive gamble.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

eta unknown

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:41 am

The AI LAX flight operated via FRA.

LAX772LR

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:06 am

TWA772LR wrote:
AI did fly to LAX as late as the mid 2000s. There are photos of their 744s flying over In N Out Burger. Does anyone know what was the intermediate point for that service or did the 744 actually pull it off nonstop?

The flight was a 1stop via FRA.

The777Man

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:28 am

distance wrote:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/air-indias-los-angeles-flight-likely-in-next-three-months/articleshow/60006846.cms

This was 2 years ago, with Air India very likely to initiate LAX-DEL. What happened here, with the success of SFO-DEL, was the strategy changed to focus more on SFO? With ORD, JFK/EWR, and SFO served with nonstops to India, is LAX next to receive a nonstop to India? LAX is well positioned to almost every other international market, and the demand appears present for a nonstop service.

LAWA even announced on their webpage that Air India was starting service to LAX but no start date was ever mentioned......

I think there's a market for a nonstop 3-4 times a week. Perhaps switch to a 77W to SFO and fly the LR to LAX ?

We'll see.

There's still some ownership issues with AI. I thought the Government of India was going to sell Air India off and perhaps when that's taken care of, the new owner maybe eventually start service to LAX ?
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

Spiderguy252

Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:04 am

The777Man wrote:
There's still some ownership issues with AI. I thought the Government of India was going to sell Air India off and perhaps when that's taken care of, the new owner maybe eventually start service to LAX ?

I'm still going to believe it when I see it, but rumours of late seem a little more concrete in the privatization/sell-off direction.
Vahroone

lightsaber

Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:18 am

I hope for CMC turbine blades in the 787 to have someone launch LAX-India. Due to business ties ,(film, jewelry) I would expect BOM the only viable destination. Who is most likely? I would guess UA.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

HP69

Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:37 am

As soon as they get 789s this route will be flown.

FCOTSTW

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:42 pm

SFO is home of the Silicon Valley and (for some reason unknown to me) lots of Indian-Americans are tied to the IT industry. This might be a reason why SFO has been preferred to LAX.

vishal1996

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:44 pm

Air India flew LAX from BOM/FRA till September 2008
NExt Flight - DEL-ZRH

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:51 pm

FCOTSTW wrote:
SFO is home of the Silicon Valley and (for some reason unknown to me) lots of Indian-Americans are tied to the IT industry. This might be a reason why SFO has been preferred to LAX.

Maybe, but I would attribute it as much to the UA SFO hub. LAX surely has lots of Asian traffic but it gets split three ways among AA/DL/UA and their alliance partners. That hurts viable destination count at big airports.

hohd

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:14 pm

Even DFW and IAH have more (India origin/related) population than LAX area and only slightly less business ties. But neither of these cities are under consideration and AI's plans for LAX have been shelved for now. Between DFW and IAH, I would give the edge to DFW if AI ever considers starting service, even though IAH is a star hub, UA is generally uncooperative, and AI can get better connecting service from AA than UA.

346fetish

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:17 pm

HP69 wrote:
As soon as they get 789s this route will be flown.

When are they getting first 789?
"BA have got waterfalls in their head office. The only time we have waterfalls in the Ryanair office is when the toilet leaks."

voxkel

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:20 pm

A while back AI planned to lease B789. However IMO AI shouldn't have gotten rid of the 77L's in 2014, just before starting SFO. Since SFO needs 77L every new NA route will have to start on the larger capacity 77W. Routes like BOM-JFK could have worked well on the lower cap plane.

voxkel

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:27 pm

Also from what I can gather the LAX-FRA flight had very bad reputation/publicity, even for AI standards. Back then there was 17 weekly 744, daily LH, daily AI 191 BOM-ORD via FRA and 3/wk AI137 BOM-LAX via FRA. (There was also a AI145 BOM-CDG-EWR.) The US legs for 191 and 145 were successful, but 137 was empty all the time.

YYZORD

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:19 pm

It makes me laugh sometimes that YVR has direct flights to DEL but not LAX.

Spiderguy252

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:03 pm

vishal1996 wrote:
Air India flew LAX from BOM/FRA till September 2008

I believe it was actually BOM-DEL-FRA-LAX on a 743, later upgauged to a 744 in 2005 when the DEL stop was dropped.
Vahroone

LAXdude1023

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:06 pm

I flew LAX-FRA on AI in 2006. It cost $335 including tax round trip. The experience was so bad even that was over priced. It was on a 744.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

LAXdude1023

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:09 pm

YYZORD wrote:

It absolutely should not. Vancouver has a far larger Indian population than Los Angeles, the community there is from only one region of India (Punjab), and there is more demand to DEL from YVR than there is from LAX to any city in India.

fortunerunnner

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:46 pm

YYZORD wrote:

Its not at all surprising that YVR has direct flight to DEL. YVR has large Punjabi/North Indian population and DEL is closet big city to Punjab/North Indian region.

LAX does not have as large of an Indian community and its Indian population is from many parts of India and not region specific as YVR so its difficult to operate non-stop/one-stop to India in any profitable manner when ME3 has that market covered very well in addition to BA/LH/AF/KL etc.

hohd

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:30 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
I flew LAX-FRA on AI in 2006. It cost $335 including tax round trip. The experience was so bad even that was over priced. It was on a 744.

May be it was long time ago. I recently flew (March 2019) on DEL-FRA and connecting to a LH flight to US, and found the AI experience, both on the ground and on air to be much better than LH. Overall my experiences on AI lately have been positive when compared to UA or LH.

dmstorm22

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:19 pm

YYZORD wrote:

Why exactly?

Add to what the others said about the larger captive market in Vancouver, it is 1000mi closer to DEL from YVR than LAX.

YYZORD

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 pm

I think YVR is a great airport that is becoming a trans pacific hub for Canada/USA but like LAX is like one of the busiest airports in the US and I'm surprised that it doesn't have demand for a DEL flight. Honestly YVR has an advantage compared to LAX as it can steal traffic from SEA and PDX.

dmstorm22 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

Why exactly?

Add to what the others said about the larger captive market in Vancouver, it is 1000mi closer to DEL from YVR than LAX.

dmstorm22

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:28 pm

YYZORD wrote:
I think YVR is a great airport that is becoming a trans pacific hub for Canada/USA but like LAX is like one of the busiest airports in the US and I'm surprised that it doesn't have demand for a DEL flight. Honestly YVR has an advantage compared to LAX as it can steal traffic from SEA and PDX.

dmstorm22 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

Why exactly?

While that is true (LAX being one of the busiest airports in the world) simply put there is a larger market from YVR than LAX to India, especially in the northern region.

LAX is also terribly suited to push connections through to India compared to other destinations with non-stop service to India.

When we're talking about ULH, overall market size is less relevant than the market size that would travel between those two places, plus any business or commercial connections (which LA probably has, but not enough to make the economics work at this moment)

LAXdude1023

Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:41 pm

YYZORD wrote:

dmstorm22 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

Why exactly?

Irrelevant. YVR is a bigger market for India.

vadodara

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:26 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
AI's problem to expand in the US needed the Boeing 777-200LR but they sold 5, and with the remaining 3 it is used for SFO-DEL, the B77Ws are very large to add new destinations, before launching DEL-LAX, the route DEL-SFO must be consolidated with B77W, which will free the B77L and be able to launch LAX-DEL, in the future they will need the Boeing 787-9 for more destinations such as BOS, DFW, IAH, SEA, YUL and optimize destinations such as IAD and YYZ

True that!

Were it not the impending privatization exercise, perhaps likes of ATL/DFW would be much higher on the list than LAX.

jsnww81

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:34 pm

As others have already pointed out, for a city of its size, the greater LA region has a very small Indian community. There are pockets in Artesia/Cerritos and in the San Fernando Valley but they're nowhere near the scale of the East Asian and Latino communities, and nothing like the size of the Indian population up the coast in the Bay Area or in places like DFW, IAH, ORD, YVR etc.

I live in LA and I'm a big booster for our airports, but I don't expect to see direct service any time soon. The VFR and business links just aren't as strong as they are in other cities, and what we do have is well served by the ME3 and the European carriers.

texdravid

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:40 pm

LA actually has a large Tamil Sri Lankan population, second only to Toronto, in the world diaspora.

But I agree, LAX <<<< SFO in terms of ties to India.

AI should look at DFW/IAH. The growth of the Indian community in those two Texas metropolises is just staggering. Either city could support, IF AI was a REAL airline and not a joke.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

babastud

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:43 pm

LAX has about every possible 1 stop connection to India. It does not need a non-stop and the stage length is a killer unless you can pull in the premium traffic that say SFO does. It's a hop up to SFO and you have 10x weekly AI non-stop and soon to start year round UA so that is a great option, not everywhere requires non-stops. Indians in LA area are not fond of AI service standards and there better off with say a Gulf carrier that has more reliable and better service plus connections to all parts of India.

texdravid

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:26 pm

babastud wrote:
LAX has about every possible 1 stop connection to India. It does not need a non-stop and the stage length is a killer unless you can pull in the premium traffic that say SFO does. It's a hop up to SFO and you have 10x weekly AI non-stop and soon to start year round UA so that is a great option, not everywhere requires non-stops. Indians in LA area are not fond of AI service standards and there better off with say a Gulf carrier that has more reliable and better service plus connections to all parts of India.

:checkmark:

Ha ha I think Indians everywhere are not “fond” of AI service except people too ignorant of other options or government babus who fly AI for free.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

Planes4you

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:56 pm

2 things I’d like to point out:One guy who sent that post is no longer with air India.Two:DFW and IAH have way more Indians then (DFW has the most out of all 3) so chances are they’ll chose either us or IAH 1st

edealinfo

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:02 pm

texdravid wrote:
The growth of the Indian community in those two Texas metropolises is just staggering.

Still trying to picture a desi in a Texan cowboy hat and boots.

LAXdude1023

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:03 am

edealinfo wrote:
texdravid wrote:
The growth of the Indian community in those two Texas metropolises is just staggering.

Still trying to picture a desi in a Texan cowboy hat and boots.

I’m sure you’re being sarcastic but people don’t dress like that in the cities.

DFW has the 3rd fastest growing Desi community in the US after NYC and the Bay Area. Houston has the 5th fastest growing after those 3 and Chicago.

Lootess

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:00 am

FCOTSTW wrote:

Indian immigrants and Indian-Americans flock to STEM degrees including Computer Science, so there are a lot of engineers, and why they are represented very high in Silicon Valley along with Asians. Whereas it's like pulling teeth for this college generation of Americans to want to do these degrees en-masse.

edealinfo

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:26 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
texdravid wrote:

DFW has the 3rd fastest growing Desi community in the US after NYC and the Bay Area. Houston has the 5th fastest growing after those 3 and Chicago.

So,
1. NYC
2. SFO
3. Dallas (SFW)
4. Chicago
5. Houston

Of the 5, which cities can support a direct flight to India other than those already in operation namely NYC, SFO and Chicago. Who is best placed to start a DFW or IAH flight to India? Vistara? AA? UA? Air India? Is the stage length even feasible and if so, with which aircraft?

LAXdude1023

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:53 pm

edealinfo wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

So,
1. NYC
2. SFO
3. Dallas (SFW)
4. Chicago
5. Houston

Of the 5, which cities can support a direct flight to India other than those already in operation namely NYC, SFO and Chicago. Who is best placed to start a DFW or IAH flight to India? Vistara? AA? UA? Air India? Is the stage length even feasible and if so, with which aircraft?

Chicago’s Indian community is still bigger than DFW, DFWs is just growing faster.

But these are just demographics not necessarily demand.

26point2

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:20 pm

FCOTSTW wrote:

This is correct. I received a cold call from India just the other day to help me with my "hacked computer". These Indian IT guys are very knowledgeable and super nice too...I even let him browse through my computer!

acavpics

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:32 pm

edealinfo wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

So,
1. NYC
2. SFO
3. Dallas (SFW)
4. Chicago
5. Houston

I'd guess UA would be the best bet on IAH-India because:

1. UA has decent aircraft availability, unlike AI.
2. IAH is a Star hub (And so are BOM, DEL).

I doubt that DFW will see non-stop service to India soon. As it is, EY couldn't sustain its flights there after the partnership with AA ended. Unless AA partners with an Indian airline, a DFW-India nonstop doesn't seem too likely.

YYZORD

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:46 pm

AC started YYZ-DEL and now AI is adding a 2nd 3x weekly flight on that route so I wouldn't be surprised if UA started IAH-DEL

Zaqattaq787

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:58 pm

I'd be very curious to see what India O/D loads on ME3 are at LAX vs. SFO. Etihad, which I thought would do well at SFO, pulled out in 2017. They were notoriously using the lesser product "Jetihad" 777s on the route which is strange when you consider the premium tech traffic they should have been targeting. Similarly, anyone know why the 777s Etihad sends to LAX are always the old livery?
LAX

Melb94

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:05 am

Zaqattaq787 wrote:
I'd be very curious to see what India O/D loads on ME3 are at LAX vs. SFO. Etihad, which I thought would do well at SFO, pulled out in 2017. They were notoriously using the lesser product "Jetihad" 777s on the route which is strange when you consider the premium tech traffic they should have been targeting. Similarly, anyone know why the 777s Etihad sends to LAX are always the old livery?

I would presume they planes have first class on board and haven’t been painted into the new livery. It’s the same as EY sends the 777 on their evening flight to Melbourne where it’s mixture of old and new livery without first class.

edealinfo

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:56 am

Zaqattaq787 wrote:

What ever happened to Etihad's 777 Jetihad? Are they in storage?

edealinfo

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:58 am

Etiihad had purchased 5 777-LR from Air India. Are those in storage. If put on the market for sale, how much could they get for each of those? Why aren't they selling it? No buyers?

LAX772LR

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:55 am

edealinfo wrote:
Etiihad had purchased 5 777-LR from Air India. Are those in storage. If put on the market for sale, how much could they get for each of those? Why aren't they selling it? No buyers?

Some of those have already been sent to scrap. (MSNs 36302 and 36300)

Spiderguy252

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:37 am

edealinfo wrote:
Zaqattaq787 wrote:

What ever happened to Etihad's 777 Jetihad? Are they in storage?

They were returned to 9W a couple of years before they went bust.
Vahroone

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos