CarbonFibre
Topic Author

LHR drone activity planned for 13th September

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:47 pm

Seems pointless that the group have announced their intentions but I suppose useful for anyone planning to travel on the day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49509852

CPH-R

Re: LHR drone activity planned for 13th September

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm

Apparently they plan on starting at 3 AM, just in time for the early morning arrivals to start burning off fuel in the holds, waiting for the airport to reopen...

flylonghaul

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:27 pm

And hopefully they are dealt with accordingly.
Flying for Pleasure

CPH-R

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:34 pm

flylonghaul wrote:

Unfortunately, if they get anywhere near the number of people they claim to be involved, it's going to be a nightmare to police. Nothing stopping them from sending one up for 10 minutes and then darting off, while another somewhere else sends theirs up.

Blockplus

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:39 pm

WA707atMSP

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:52 pm

How many of these "activists" have dogs?

Dogs are FAR worse for the environment than aviation is.

Instead of trying to disrupt aviation, these activists should be encouraging people to have fewer dogs, or none at all. That would make a much bigger impact on global warming than disrupting Heathrow will.

flylonghaul

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:43 pm

CPH-R wrote:
flylonghaul wrote:

Unfortunately, if they get anywhere near the number of people they claim to be involved, it's going to be a nightmare to police. Nothing stopping them from sending one up for 10 minutes and then darting off, while another somewhere else sends theirs up.

Very true unfortunately.
But given the massive disruption at LGW last time I can only assume that they will be better prepared.
A few people charged to the maximum extent might send a message.

The consequences of disrupting an operation like LHR are only going to create greater damage to the environment, something that is conveniently ignored by the people starting this.
Flying for Pleasure

spinotter

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:02 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:

Instead of trying to disrupt aviation, these activists should be encouraging people to have fewer dogs, or none at all. That would make a much bigger impact on global warming than disrupting Heathrow will.

There are 900 million dogs in the world. 600 million cats. And 7.7 billion human beings. We weigh more, eat more, pollute so much more that it is not even funny. So how about getting rid of some human beings? And their polluting aircraft as well.

PatrickZ80

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
Seems pointless that the group have announced their intentions but I suppose useful for anyone planning to travel on the day.

Unless of course it's a trick, spreading false info on purpose.

If I were to plan a drone attack, that's what I would do. I would announce it to happen at Heathrow, that would bring all anti-drone units at full alert at Heathrow that day. And then they'd be surprised if the drones show up in Stansted while at Heathrow, where they were expecting it, nothing happens. And because all anti-drone units are at Heathrow, they left Stansted unguarded.

I have been told this is a trick criminals often use. If they plan to commit a crime they first call the police that something serious (an accident, a fire, you name it) has happened at the other side of town far away from them. That would send all of the police to that location so they know there'll be no police around when they commit their crime.

PW100

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:42 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:

Is this for real? Are you being serious??

The average human being is three-four times as worse than any dog (before flying, driving our cars, heating & cooling our houses etc.).
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

WA707atMSP

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:04 pm

PW100 wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:

The average human being is three-four times as worse than any dog (before flying, driving our cars, heating & cooling our houses etc.).

I'm comparing the environmental impact of aviation to the environmental impact of dogs. I'm NOT comparing the environmental impact of all human activity to the environmental impact of dogs.

The point I'm making is that aviation has a pretty minor impact on the environment. Having a dog is much worse for the environment than taking a flight on an airplane.

I feel the environmental protesters are misguided in focusing on the environmental impact of aviation. If they are serious about improving the environment, they should focus on other human activities that are far more harmful to the environment than aviation is....like having a dog.

WA707atMSP

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:32 pm

Many of the protesters planning to disrupt air travel are fans of "fast fashion".

Before these protesters try to shut down Heathrow, they should focus on a far more serious source of pollution: the clothes they wear to the protest.

The fashion industry generates about 10% of the world's carbon footprint, and is the second largest user of fresh water in the world.

A recent Wall Street Journal article says the average person buys 68 garments a year, which they wear just seven times before discarding them. Because these garments are so cheaply made, when they are washed, their fibers wind up polluting lakes and rivers.

Instead of blockading Heathrow or another airport, why don't these protesters blockade H&M stores? Doing so will help the environment a lot more than trying to reduce air travel!

Here's a Wikipedia article about the horrific environmental impact of the fashion industry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environme ... of_fashion

PlaneMad134

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:17 pm

Any further news on the planned drones?

PlaneMad134

Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:36 am

2 were arrested this morning but they jammed the drone frequency so it never managed to get in the air.

RossW

Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:47 am

WA707atMSP wrote:
PW100 wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:

The point I'm making is that aviation has a pretty minor impact on the environment. Having a dog is much worse for the environment than taking a flight on an airplane.

A single flight?

Pyrex

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:00 pm

spinotter wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:

There are 900 million dogs in the world. 600 million cats. And 7.7 billion human beings. We weigh more, eat more, pollute so much more that it is not even funny. So how about getting rid of some human beings? And their polluting aircraft as well.

Anything else, Mr. Thanos?

The funny thing is, if you were to ask them, I bet that 95% of the idiots doing this also believe the world should have no borders (in one direction, of course...), globalist should not be seen as an insult, nationalism is dangerous, etc. and that we are all one big, happy family, yet they are actively trying to make it impossible for people to see family and experience different cultures.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

spinotter

Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:37 pm

Pyrex wrote:
spinotter wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:

Anything else, Mr. Thanos?

The funny thing is, if you were to ask them, I bet that 95% of the idiots doing this also believe the world should have no borders (in one direction, of course...), globalist should not be seen as an insult, nationalism is dangerous, etc. and that we are all one big, happy family, yet they are actively trying to make it impossible for people to see family and experience different cultures.

Who is it that is actively trying to make it impossible for people to see family and experience different cultures? But how about restricting one's radius of action and getting there by walking, biking, and public transport? Remember Tony Blair with his "we can't ask people not to own cars and to stop their intercontinental jaunts"?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/aug/20/tony-blair-cars-china

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2007/jan/09/theairlineindustry.greenpolitics

But yes we can, if we as a species are really serious about living beyond the next few centuries. Everyone should live, have significant ones, work, and in short, restrict their movements to within a limited radius. The planet would be happier, we would all be happier. In short, let's reduce the average speed of us as human molecules flitting here and flitting there.

styles9002

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:25 pm

spinotter wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:

Are you volunteering to be the the first one got rid of?
It is what it is.

AirKevin

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:32 am

spinotter wrote:
But how about restricting one's radius of action and getting there by walking, biking, and public transport?

And suppose you live in middle of nowhere, Montana, where you don't have public transportation, and you may need to go 80 miles or more to get to the nearest city. Then what.
Captain Kevin

SierraPacific

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:38 am

Climate change activists are insufferable. I hope the police deal with them accordingly.

TheOldDude

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:06 am

spinotter wrote:
So how about getting rid of some human beings?

Are you serious? I thought we worked hard on safety in aviation to preserve human beings.

FLYERLHR

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:05 am

helicopters around Heathrow during the early hours. Woke up the sound of the copters.

scbriml

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:37 am

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Oykie

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:17 pm

I’m happy that the disruption is not successful. This is not a democratic way to protest. There are so many ways to make your voice heard. There is no need to enganger other people lives, cause great economic stress on an already vulnerable economy. Yes we need to reduce pollution, but this does not help.
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

Pyrex

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:26 pm

scbriml wrote:

Why were the morons who were arrested released immediately, just to go back and threaten to continue to commit terrorism? In the UK the police can attest you for a mean Facebook post about your neighbor, but can't arrest someone for making explicit and actionable threats against hundreds of people?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

spinotter

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:48 pm

SierraPacific wrote:
Climate change activists are insufferable. I hope the police deal with them accordingly.

We are trying to save the human race, but sometimes I can't escape the conclusion that our species is not worth saving. I do, however, regret what is happening to all the other life forms on this planet.

na

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:16 pm

spinotter wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

We are trying to save the human race, but sometimes I can't escape the conclusion that our species is not worth saving. I do, however, regret what is happening to all the other life forms on this planet.

Two billion more people on this overcrowded planet until 2050, and god knows how many after that. We better learn how to restrict our own numbers. Fast. Otherwise all efforts against climate change are for the bin. Strangely its those protesters who ignore that fact. They think abolishing planes, cruise ships and cars will save us, abolishing capitalism and comfort. How naive is that...

spinotter

Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:45 pm

na wrote:
spinotter wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

Two billion more people on this overcrowded planet until 2050, and god knows how many after that. We better learn how to restrict our own numbers. Fast. Otherwise all efforts against climate change are for the bin. Strangely its those protesters who ignore that fact. They think abolishing planes, cruise ships and cars will save us, abolishing capitalism and comfort. How naive is that...

No one is ignoring population growth, CO2 and other emissions, the degradation of soils and water, plastic containers and nanoparticles, warfare, ethnic cleansing, and the list goes on and on and on. What kind of world will exist in 2100 - I shudder to think.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos