TWA902fly

Re: AUS eyes nonstop flights to 7 interc’l destinations: AMS, BJS, DUB, CDG, ICN, PVG, TYO

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:53 pm

patrickjp93 wrote:
TWA902fly wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:
Yeah I think Podonktown, USA is eyeing big international routes as well...

You are aware the Austin metro area's GDP is roughly the same as Brussels, right? With almost an identical population size.

'902

Brussels Airport is also just a vastly better airport than AUS. No one is happy clearing customs in the U.S.. I think IAH may be the best at it. AUS is almost as bad as LAX. Over 75 minutes to clear customs and get baggage from the first international flight of the morning

Most people flying to Austin have Austin as their final destination - it's not a hub. Are you saying your anecdotal experience of a long wait at customs at AUS means people would rather fly go Houston, go through customs there, wait, get on another flight, and then fly the short hop to Austin?

Also - we are not comparing how good of an airport Austin and Brussels are - what I am comparing is GDP, population, and as such - the propensity to travel. If airlines chose destinations based on how good of an airport a city had - no airline would fly to LOS, for example.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

BNAMealer

Re: AUS eyes nonstop flights to 7 interc’l destinations: AMS, BJS, DUB, CDG, ICN, PVG, TYO

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:56 pm

acavpics wrote:
Prost wrote:
I believe AUS would need an airline to hub there in order to make those destinations work.

Isn't DL going to make AUS a focus city/mini hub?

DL declared it a focus city in June, but what exactly that means no one knows. They haven’t added any new routes in some time and have given no indications that they are going to.

fraspotter

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:56 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
I'd rather be too early to the party than too late. DL can afford to carry an underperforming route for a good long time. And Fort Hood is just up the street...

How does Fort Hood play in to this? When soldiers PCS to East Asia or Europe they go AMC charter through either SEA or BWI. If the transportation office for whatever reason does put them on a commercial flight it would most likely be in or out of GRK. AUS or DFW could happen but it would just be for a domestic connection to get to SEA/BWI.
Last edited by fraspotter on Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

Longhornmaniac

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:58 pm

patrickjp93 wrote:
TWA902fly wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

You are aware the Austin metro area's GDP is roughly the same as Brussels, right? With almost an identical population size.

'902

Brussels Airport is also just a vastly better airport than AUS. No one is happy clearing customs in the U.S.. I think IAH may be the best at it. AUS is almost as bad as LAX. Over 75 minutes to clear customs and get baggage from the first international flight of the morning

Let's not pretend that's what TWA902fly was saying. Of course a hub set up for international connecting traffic is going to be better at it than an outstation (in the US, no less, which complicates everything).

You're moving the goalposts. He was obviously responding to the notion that Austin wasn't a city worth flying to, and equating it size-wise and economically to a city in Europe held in high regard, and one that people wouldn't bat an eye at getting additional service.
Cheers,
Cameron

BNAMealer

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:59 pm

airbazar wrote:
They are not that different if you compare today's AUS with BOS 20 years ago or so when they already had service to places like CDG, AMS, Seoul (SEL), and it would have had NRT had it not been for 9/11. So no, I don't think that list is all that far fetched. In fact you can probably find threads here on a.net from 20-25 years ago when BOS had the same exact wish list and everyone thought it was ridiculous.

Yes they are. Even in the 1990s, BOS was double the size of AUS population wise and had many more international ties.

BN727227Ultra

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:01 pm

fraspotter wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:
I'd rather be too early to the party than too late. DL can afford to carry an underperforming route for a good long time. And Fort Hood is just up the street...

How does Fort Hood play in to this? When soldiers PCS to East Asia or Europe they go AMC charter through either SEA or BWI. If the transportation office for whatever reason does put them on a commercial flight it would most likely be in or out of GRK. AUS or DFW could happen but it would just be for a domestic connection to get to SEA/BWI.

That's the paradigm now--and I doubt Atlas' deployment 744s will move to AUS. But the dependent, mission support and vendor traffic would have another option.

izbtmnhd

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:03 pm

TWA902fly wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

'902

Obviously Austin is not Podunk but the GDP statement doesn't take Purchasing Power Parity into account. When adjusting for it, even if you added San Antonio to Austin, Brussels' GDP is still larger. Hell, Austin is still below Cleveland and Pittsburgh using PPP.

GDP and population stats are nice but they aren't the be-all to end-all of why a route is started.

Let's not get carried away.

airDFW

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:10 pm

vin2basketball wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

AUS handled 16m passengers last year and is on pace for 17+ this year (basically growing at 8-9% per year), which is about on par with PDX, which has nonstop service to Asia, and bigger than SJC/ONT (though those are obviously part of larger metro areas) which do as well.

AUS also has nonstop service to LHR which BA routinely flies a 744 on, FRA on LH, and LGW on DY.

AUS by itself is a 2.1 million person metro area, but the catchment area for international flying includes SAT at 2.5 million people, so the combined catchment for int'l flying is at least 4.6 million people. The drive from AUS (the airport) to San Antonio is under 90 minutes, and for the wealthiest San Antonio suburbs (where most int'l demand is likely to originate) it can be under 75 minutes.

A 4 million catchment puts AUS above LAS, PDX, DEN, SAN, MSP, SEA, DTW, all of which have nonstop service to Asia, plus ahead of CLT, MCO, PHX which have multiple TATL flights.

And oh by the way GDP per capita is way higher in AUS even before you account for the fact that the much lower cost of living means more disposable income for families.

Yes AUS isn't NYC, the Bay Area, Miami, or Chicago, but it's not Oklahoma City, Buffalo, or Louisville for crying out loud.

Austin needs to rebrand itself as part of twin city.

Hello, ASA just like DFW.

Midwestindy

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:12 pm

airbazar wrote:
Prost wrote:
I believe AUS would need an airline to hub there in order to make those destinations work.

BOS disagrees.
Although B6 does provide a lot of connectivity at BOS for their partners, BOS had a good amount of international service long before B6 even existed.
What counts for international service is the makeup of the local economy more than anything else. If the local economy is diversified and focused on global sectors like Tech and Life sciences that's important.

BNAMealer wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
I think it is realistic if the global economy does not enter a major recession.

Just recall Boston had its first Asian carrier/destination (JAL to NRT) in 2012 and so far it has gained Seoul, Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, Casablanca, Dubai, Doha, Istanbul and Tel Aviv, in addition to a few European destinations.

BOS and AUS is not an apples to apples comparison. BOS is a much larger, globalized market with two hub carriers.

They are not that different if you compare today's AUS with BOS 20 years ago or so when they already had service to places like CDG, AMS, Seoul (SEL), and it would have had NRT had it not been for 9/11. So no, I don't think that list is all that far fetched. In fact you can probably find threads here on a.net from 20-25 years ago when BOS had the same exact wish list and everyone thought it was ridiculous.

Enough with the Boston comparisons, BOS is one the largest and most important economic centers in the world. AUS is not comparable at all

Even 15 years ago its economy was massive

Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

enilria

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:45 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
Zoedyn wrote:
Per a new proposal being circulated by Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, AUS is eyeing financial incentives to entice airlines to launch nonstop flights from Austin to Hawaii and 7 intercontinental destinations, ie, Amsterdam, Beijing, Dublin, Paris, Seoul, Shanghai, and Tokyo.

Bryce Dubee, a spokesman for AUS, says those routes are among the ones requested most often by business and leisure travelers, but no timetable has been set for adding them.

Interesting wish list! 4 East Asian destinations there.

Any real chance for any of them to happen any time soon? Or a pipe dream only? :shhh:

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/trave ... in-austin/

Maybe Amsterdam, Paris. Definitely not Shanghai and Beijing. But every airport has their wish list. :white:

Not unless China writes a $30m subsidy check which they are only doing for the backwater China markets.

PAR/AMS could happen eventually. DUB is unlikely IMHO, unless they write a huge check. All of Asia is pretty unlikely with Tokyo being a better chance than the others.

zakuivcustom

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:50 pm

To Europe, yes, AMS or CDG would probably work, especially if DL are indeed increasing their presence there.

To East Asia, ICN is usually what people think will work, since Samsung Semiconductor has a long presence in the Austin area. On the flip side, KE can't even make IAH-ICN work, and the Korean presence in Houston is a lot larger than Austin (although still smaller than the Metroplex). Well, at least there's a H-Mart in Austin nowaday (opened...well, last year).
TYO is a remote possibility, although I don't see how there's enough demand one way or another.

PVG? There's not even a IAH-PVG flight!
PEK? I'm not even sure how profitable IAH-PEK really is anyway, and this is with that large CA (so, by extension, *A) hub at PEK that will probably grow larger once CZ and 90% of MU move to PKX.
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

ThaneC

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:52 pm

This is clearly a “wish list” and simply will not happen. Austin is not DFW or IAH!

airbazar

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:59 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Yes they are. Even in the 1990s, BOS was double the size of AUS population wise and had many more international ties.

Right and because of that it has 7 daily LON flights, 5 daily CDG and 3 daily AMS, just to name a few examples.
No one is suggesting that level of service for AUS. The comparison with BOS is in the rate of growth and the similarities in the makeup of the economy, not the volume of traffic or population size. I have no doubt that in a few years some cities on that list will have service from AUS. Certainly it will be more than 1 TATL route and more than 0 TPAC routes.

ITSTours

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:01 pm

One person already mentioned but Samsung has a large semiconductor fab in Austin. But that's it for the economic connections between S Korea and Austin.
Is that enough to justify a nonstop route? Probably not. Koreans in Austin is 1/2 of Houston and 1/4 of Dallas. Yet KE had to discontinue Houston.
I do not see an ICN-AUS nonstop route within 3 years.

SCQ83

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:05 pm

airbazar wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Right and because of that it has 7 daily LON flights, 5 daily CDG and 3 daily AMS, just to name a few examples.
No one is suggesting that level of service for AUS. The comparison with BOS is in the rate of growth and the similarities in the makeup of the economy, not the volume of traffic or population size. I have no doubt that in a few years some cities on that list will have service from AUS. Certainly it will be more than 1 TATL route and more than 0 TPAC routes.

IMO the comparison with Boston is quite accurate. AUS is a much smaller market (which some posters don't seem to understand this is not what we are arguing about :)) but there are certain similarities (tourism, universities, tech economy). Boston has also JFK/EWR about 4 hours-drive. I bet only 10 years ago it was the excuse not to have BOS-Asia services... after all NYC was a short drive/train/plane down the road. Like Austin today with IAH/DFW.

As for the comparison with the 1990s, international traffic overall was much lower. Not even starting with China.

TYWoolman

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:14 pm

Is it far-fetched for AUS to make a new-terminal-exclusivity-deal with Delta say for a 12-gate complex for them to start a hub in the next 4-5 years? This would guarantee Delta gate space and AUS support and most likely guarantee Delta international service to those destinations mentioned, at least to Amsterdam, Paris, London, Tokyo and Seoul.

Longhornmaniac

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:26 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
Is it far-fetched for AUS to make a new-terminal-exclusivity-deal with Delta say for a 12-gate complex for them to start a hub in the next 4-5 years? This would guarantee Delta gate space and AUS support and most likely guarantee Delta international service to those destinations mentioned, at least to Amsterdam, Paris, London, Tokyo and Seoul.

Is a new terminal far-fetched? Absolutely not. The current one is already over capacity, and the FAA is currently reviewing the master plan for the next phase of development. I wouldn't expect anything to be open before 2027.

Is an exclusivity deal with Delta far-fetched? I'd say yes, for the singular reason that the City would almost assuredly make Delta pony up some funds for it and I don't see that happening. It's far more likely that Delta is able to obtain gates more organically and secure what they need for whatever operation they decide they want here. Anybody expecting AMS, CDG, LHR, TYO, and ICN from DL at AUS at any point is living in a fantasy world. I'll make my bold claim that will never happen. I could see one or two, and maybe three in my wildest imagination, but not more.
Cheers,
Cameron

steeler83

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:29 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
acavpics wrote:
Prost wrote:

Isn't DL going to make AUS a focus city/mini hub?

DL declared it a focus city in June, but what exactly that means no one knows. They haven’t added any new routes in some time and have given no indications that they are going to.

I would think that any growth from DL is imminent even though it's only been since June. I know airlines typically announce international routes, namely transatlantic routes in the Fall. I would think that AUS-CDG or AMS would be more likely, altho I would also add ICN as well since all three are served by Skyteam airlines along with DL.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

spinotter

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:29 pm

TYWoolman wrote:

Maybe the guys at Delta HQ are reading this thread - maybe posting on it! Are DL's adds for summer 2020 all done now?

LAXdude1023

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:38 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

IMO the comparison with Boston is quite accurate. AUS is a much smaller market (which some posters don't seem to understand this is not what we are arguing about :)) but there are certain similarities (tourism, universities, tech economy). Boston has also JFK/EWR about 4 hours-drive. I bet only 10 years ago it was the excuse not to have BOS-Asia services... after all NYC was a short drive/train/plane down the road. Like Austin today with IAH/DFW.

As for the comparison with the 1990s, international traffic overall was much lower. Not even starting with China.

You literally contradicted yourself and showed why its not at all a good comparison. The size IS the issue. BOS has the O&D to those destinations, AUS does not.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

Brandon757

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:39 pm

AUS and DTW need a dreamers super thread.

bravotango75

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:42 pm

Brandon757 wrote:
AUS and DTW need a dreamers super thread.

No kidding, DTW and these Texas threads tend to get a little full of themselves :roll: Still makes for some amusing reads.

Midwestindy

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:46 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

I'm not sure how saying Boston and Austin have similarities proves anything, by that same token Boston and Madison, WI have similarities. Those similarities mean nothing unless they are comparable in scale.

Btw, driving from Boston to JFK/EWR?!?!?
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Longhornmaniac

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:09 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

I'm not sure how saying Boston and Austin have similarities proves anything, by that same token Boston and Madison, WI have similarities. Those similarities mean nothing unless they are comparable in scale.

Btw, driving from Boston to JFK/EWR?!?!?

I agree with your first statements. Comparing Boston, even 20 years ago, to Austin now is a lousy one.

But understand that to Texans, driving to DFW from Austin is as ridiculous as driving from Boston to New York. It's the same distance within a couple of miles. So when people suggest Austinites are apt to drive from Austin to DFW to fly somewhere, it's the same as asking if a Bostonian would drive to New York, or, in terms you'd understand, Indianapolis to O'Hare.

There are probably some select few that do it, but for the vast majority it's seen as a pretty ridiculous notion.
Cheers,
Cameron

rjmf22

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:13 pm

This is almost comical. Austin is not getting any of these destinations anytime soon, regardless of growth.
United Airlines

LAXdude1023

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:16 pm

Longhornmaniac wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
acavpics wrote:

Did you forget that Austin is one of the fastest growing metros in the entire country? Let alone Texas.
Roughly 50 people move into the city each day. With that kind of population growth, there's obviously gonna be more demand for international service.

Type of growth is important. Austin's growth is overwhelming domestic to the same degree Houston's is overwhelmingly international. DFW is somewhere in between.

Without a doubt, but I'd caution you about assuming that domestic growth is Anglo growth. Population trends in Austin are dramatically non-Anglo, with Hispanic and Asian making up the substantial majority.

A lot of that growth is coming from California, and a lot of that is first and second generation Asian Americans which retain strong demand to the East.

Lets test that theory:

In 2017, the demographics of the Austin metro area were:
Non-Hispanic White: 1,057,470 - 52.9%
Hispanic: 643,813 - 32.2%
Black: 138,478 - 5.9%
Asian: 108,635 - 5.4%

In 2013, the demographics of the Austin metro area were:
Non-HIspanic White: 967,935 - 54.3%
Hispanic: 562,198 - 31.5%
Black: 126,035 - 7.1%
Asian: 86,469 - 4.9%

In that four years Metro Austin gained:
89,535 Non-Hispanic White residents
81,615 Hispanic residents
12,443 Black residents
22,166 Asian residents

This is unusual for Texas. The White population in Houston has declined. In DFW its steady but outpaced by other demographics.

So, with respect, the assertion that Austin's growth is "dramatically non-Anglo, with Hispanic and Asian making up the substantial majority." is extremely inaccurate.

I mean no disrespect to you and I love Austin (my family lives north of there), but Im a stickler for demographics.
Last edited by LAXdude1023 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Longhornmaniac

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:16 pm

rjmf22 wrote:
This is almost comical. Austin is not getting any of these destinations anytime soon, regardless of growth.

You don't think AUS will get either AMS or CDG?

That puts you in the minority. The rest I might be inclined to agree with you on, but one of those seems very believable at this point.
Cheers,
Cameron

Longhornmaniac

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:29 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Type of growth is important. Austin's growth is overwhelming domestic to the same degree Houston's is overwhelmingly international. DFW is somewhere in between.

Without a doubt, but I'd caution you about assuming that domestic growth is Anglo growth. Population trends in Austin are dramatically non-Anglo, with Hispanic and Asian making up the substantial majority.

A lot of that growth is coming from California, and a lot of that is first and second generation Asian Americans which retain strong demand to the East.

Lets test that theory:

12,443 Black residents
22,166 Asian residents

This is unusual for Texas. The White population in Houston has declined. In DFW its steady but outpaced by other demographics.

So, with respect, the assertion that Austin's growth is "dramatically non-Anglo, with Hispanic and Asian making up the substantial majority." is extremely inaccurate.

I mean no disrespect to you and I love Austin (my family lives north of there), but Im a stickler for demographics.

I'm skeptical of that data as it's been reported pretty heavily that Austin is no longer an Anglo-majority city. I'm curious about any data that shows that to still be the case. Also, the percentages I've seen have Austin at more like 6.5-7% Asian rather than the 5.4% indicated by that data you use. I suppose the next Census will tell us what we need to know in a more official capacity! Nevertheless, it's clear that the vast majority of non-White growth is Hispanic, and although I think overall the Asian growth is a little greater than what's depicted there, it's still a relatively small proportion of the growth.

No disrespect taken. I appreciate the fact-based approach you bring to the discussion. I grow tired of unilateral claims one way or another, so it's nice to have someone willing to support their claims with something other than snark or sarcasm!

We've both been here a long time, and I'd like to think we try to bring a level of quality that a.net used to have before they opened the doors to the unwashed masses. :lol:
Cheers,
Cameron

grbauc

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:30 pm

Yea I think DL will eventually or AA should Focus city it.

Planes4you

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:34 pm

grbauc wrote:

Why would AA make AUS a focus city when DFW is 3 hours away

grbauc

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:40 pm

Planes4you wrote:
grbauc wrote:

I think DL will hub it and I think AA Should put a Focus city AUS. Well DFW power house is and will be maxed out again soon. Even if AA has a focus city at DFW it can add Nice OD routes out of AUS to maximize and capture some of the other guys connection traffic. To Keep DL out of TEXAS or the region the best they can.

When airlines were more regional when we had 8 national carries, airlines dominated there regions more and I see DL working on that again with there many P2P routes and plethora of focus cites/Mini hubs.

Galwayman

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:40 pm

Dub would work as the only English speaking hub
(with common law infrastructure ) within the European Union, also giving better access to the U.K. than BA at LHR can provide .. maybe 4 times a week on an EI A332 to start

HP69

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:41 pm

Planes4you wrote:
grbauc wrote:

For the same reason DL made BNA a focus city even with ATL up the road.

grbauc

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:48 pm

I like the DL expansion plan the last 8 years better then the AA plan. I know AA is behind in mergers DL and that DL has diffrent hubs then AA but and I really think AA should be taking more of a DL mini hub / P2P route in today's world.

I don't follow UA so I can't say my thoughts on them. I do believe DL is making a WN like approach. Lots of directional traffic mini hubs with some major connection hubs. (Not called hubs for WN)

zakuivcustom

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:46 pm

Longhornmaniac wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:

Lets test that theory:

12,443 Black residents
22,166 Asian residents

I'm skeptical of that data as it's been reported pretty heavily that Austin is no longer an Anglo-majority city. I'm curious about any data that shows that to still be the case. Also, the percentages I've seen have Austin at more like 6.5-7% Asian rather than the 5.4% indicated by that data you use. I suppose the next Census will tell us what we need to know in a more official capacity! Nevertheless, it's clear that the vast majority of non-White growth is Hispanic, and although I think overall the Asian growth is a little greater than what's depicted there, it's still a relatively small proportion of the growth.

No disrespect taken. I appreciate the fact-based approach you bring to the discussion. I grow tired of unilateral claims one way or another, so it's nice to have someone willing to support their claims with something other than snark or sarcasm!

We've both been here a long time, and I'd like to think we try to bring a level of quality that a.net used to have before they opened the doors to the unwashed masses. :lol:

http://www.austintexas.gov/page/top-ten ... stin-texas

The ~6.5% Asian population only apply to the CITY of Austin (i.e. within city limit), while LAXdude1023's number applied to the metro area (which is more accurate when it comes to catchment of an airport anyway).

Within the city Anglo-American indeed no longer form the majority. Asians (including Indian) are indeed the fastest growing group in Austin.

On the flip side, while percentage-wise Austin area has similar amount of Asian to Greater Houston and DFW Metroplex (Around 5-6% total), the total number is just not there. For example, there are ~72k ethnic Chinese ALONE in Greater Houston (Numbers are from ~2013, so I only expect that to go up even more by now), which is already 75% of all of Greater Austin's Asian population. Using the 12.2% Chinese within City of Austin out of all Asians, you're talking about ~13k ethnic Chinese in Austin area, or, 1/6 (at best) of Greater Houston.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

steeler83

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:48 pm

grbauc wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
grbauc wrote:

I think DL will hub it and I think AA Should put a Focus city AUS. Well DFW power house is and will be maxed out again soon. Even if AA has a focus city at DFW it can add Nice OD routes out of AUS to maximize and capture some of the other guys connection traffic. To Keep DL out of TEXAS or the region the best they can.

When airlines were more regional when we had 8 national carries, airlines dominated there regions more and I see DL working on that again with there many P2P routes and plethora of focus cites/Mini hubs.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't think AA has any interest in adding any focus cities... They've pretty much decided that focus cities don't fit their model like it does with othe airlines. They feel it's better to route pax through their existing hub network instead of adding focus cities in smaller but significant markets like AUS.

For the heck of it, I looked at what AA currently flies on AUS-DFW. Did a dummy booking for mid September, and they run 10 daily departures, a pretty even mix of 737 and A321 equipment. Sure, there's probably massive O&D there, but I'm also willing to bet that there is a ton of connecting traffic routed through the 700-some flights at DFW.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

acavpics

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:55 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
acavpics wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
I could see maybe CDG or AMS and maybe ICN. AUS is simply too close to DFW/IAH to get much more, and since they probably won’t be a hub ever, some of these destinations just aren’t feasible.

Did you forget that Austin is one of the fastest growing metros in the entire country? Let alone Texas.
Roughly 50 people move into the city each day. With that kind of population growth, there's obviously gonna be more demand for international service.

Sure, but without a hub, AUS will have to rely on O&D alone to fill the planes. Do you honestly think it will have enough for places such as DXB? No.

AUS is growing, but let’s get real here....

Hans't DL stated that they planned to make AUS a focus city/secondary hub in the near future? I'd definitely expect them to do it, given that DL is the only US3 carrier w/o a Texas hub.

Longhornmaniac

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:07 pm

steeler83 wrote:
grbauc wrote:
Planes4you wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't think AA has any interest in adding any focus cities... They've pretty much decided that focus cities don't fit their model like it does with othe airlines. They feel it's better to route pax through their existing hub network instead of adding focus cities in smaller but significant markets like AUS.

For the heck of it, I looked at what AA currently flies on AUS-DFW. Did a dummy booking for mid September, and they run 10 daily departures, a pretty even mix of 737 and A321 equipment. Sure, there's probably massive O&D there, but I'm also willing to bet that there is a ton of connecting traffic routed through the 700-some flights at DFW.

Yep. AA has no need, nor desire, to make AUS a focus city with DFW up the road. Back in 2007-08, they actually nearly had a focus city, with daily departures to SEA (1x), LAX (3-4x), SNA (1x), DFW (14-16x), ORD (6x), STL (2-3x), JFK (1x), and RDU (1x). This may have been around the same time they were messing around with the AUS-HOU-LGA and AUS-DAL nonsense, too, but I could have those dates mixed up. AA has really doubled down on their hub network, and understandably.

DL/Skyteam have a pretty sizable gap in a booming Texas, and that has a lot to do with the speculation about DL's interest in AUS.
Cheers,
Cameron

TYWoolman

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:09 pm

I know this might by a "Never Ending Story", but in my opinion if Delta wants any meaningful AUS operation (meaning capturing connecting traffic where their other hubs can't do it competitively, if that, in deed, is their overall plan) then they need to secure the lion-share of the gates as quickly as possible. Otherwise, it will be a blood-bath with the low-cost carriers just waiting to rain on the Delta parade. So, I don't rule out Delta funding it's own mini-terminal complex in the future (think A220 operation) before the city completes its plan. Especially since organic growth seems the way to go for the majors today. Yes, this isn't fantasia, but in a few years the dynamics of the industry can change, and Delta just may be the airline to help drive the growth quicker and further for AUS, which in-turn will help meet the Delta growth (and vis-a-versa), while at the same time Delta getting influence in the Texan market and more-efficient traffic flows. Let's spread some of that deep-south SkyMiles love once again! Amen!

LAXdude1023

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:11 pm

Longhornmaniac wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:

Lets test that theory:

12,443 Black residents
22,166 Asian residents

The data is for the metro area not just the city. Since we’re talking about the airport I thought it would be good to look at the whole area. Austin city limits is different.

leftcoast8

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:14 pm

AMS/CDG have strong connections to BLR, and with Delta turning Austin into a focus city, it would dovetail well with the DL/KL/AF joint venture.

DUB and PVG are also promising due to the strong tech industry in Ireland, and Shanghai's proximity to Hangzhou (home of Alibaba; many HG tech millionaires have second homes in Shanghai)

Could AUS support a US3 flight to India? e.g. AUS-JFK-DEL on Delta. (I can't see even JFK-BLR happening for many years, but Delhi has a lot of connecting traffic to BLR and HYD.) How about an Emirates flight, maybe 4 weekly? Or is AUS too close to DFW/IAH for AUS-DXB to be profitable?
Last edited by leftcoast8 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Longhornmaniac

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:17 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Lets test that theory:

12,443 Black residents
22,166 Asian residents

The data is for the metro area not just the city. Since we’re talking about the airport I thought it would be good to look at the whole area. Austin city limits is different.

:thumbsup: Got it, thanks!
Cheers,
Cameron

malev2012

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:18 pm

leftcoast8 wrote:
DUB and PVG might make sense due to the strong tech industry in Ireland, and Shanghai's proximity to Hangzhou (home of Alibaba; many HG tech millionaires have second homes in Shanghai)

A lot of the DUB traffic flows via LHR, why would IAG want to add another TATL flight when they already carry most of the traffic?
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

leftcoast8

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:20 pm

malev2012 wrote:
A lot of the DUB traffic flows via LHR, why would IAG want to add another TATL flight when they already carry most of the traffic?

You're right, I forgot that BA already flies to AUS. And I guess LHR-DUB is close enough that the backtrack isn't too awful, like how you have to backtrack through DXB if you want to get from Australia/NZ to India (that is, if you're not connecting in SIN)

malev2012

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:24 pm

leftcoast8 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

Wouldn't that be a backtrack? Kind of like how Australia-India pax have to backtrack via DXB

Yea its a whopping 280 mile backtrack! BA isn't going to let EI operate a rival flight to peel away pax from LHR flight. Out of the list AMS/CDG is the most likely because Oneworld and Star already have TATL where SkyTeam doesn't so they have the most to gain from a new destination.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

LAXdude1023

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:32 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Lets test that theory:

12,443 Black residents
22,166 Asian residents

The ~6.5% Asian population only apply to the CITY of Austin (i.e. within city limit), while LAXdude1023's number applied to the metro area (which is more accurate when it comes to catchment of an airport anyway).
-
Within the city Anglo-American indeed no longer form the majority. Asians (including Indian) are indeed the fastest growing group in Austin.

On the flip side, while percentage-wise Austin area has similar amount of Asian to Greater Houston and DFW Metroplex (Around 5-6% total), the total number is just not there. For example, there are ~72k ethnic Chinese ALONE in Greater Houston (Numbers are from ~2013, so I only expect that to go up even more by now), which is already 75% of all of Greater Austin's Asian population. Using the 12.2% Chinese within City of Austin out of all Asians, you're talking about ~13k ethnic Chinese in Austin area, or, 1/6 (at best) of Greater Houston.

Just to clarify, I dont know that Id say the Asian percentage between Austin, DFW, and (especially) Houston are that similar.

Here is from 2017:

Percentage of Asian population:
Greater Houston: 7.7% - 545,052
DFW: 6.5% - 507,544
Metro Austin: 108,636 - 5.4

Asian Growth from 2013-2017
DFW: 114,863
Greater Houston: 101,896
Metro Austin: 22,166

To clarify the above growth, DFW's Asian growth is impressive but its predominantly centered around one country: India. Almost 75k of that 114k came from there. Houston's is much more spread out between East and South Asia.

You asked about Chinese population. Its below:
Greater Houston: 96,116
DFW: 64,171
Austin: 22,360

Heres how many Asian Immigrants came to each metro area in 2017:
Greater Houston: 14,287
DFW: 14,108
Austin Metro Area: 3,042

Heres the top three countries where those people came from:

Greater Houston:
Vietnam: 2,905
India: 2,238
China: 1,673
Pakistan: 1,189
Philippines: 1,061

DFW:
India: 3,056
Vietnam: 1,674
Afghanistan: 988
Nepal: 968
Pakistan: 808

Austin:
India: 516
Vietnam: 273
China: 266
Korea: 173
Philippines: 147

BuildingMyBento

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:34 pm

I could see another Western Europe route, as well as a Subsidy Express (aka China) route. Maybe China Eastern will extend their Pittsburgh route to AUS...

(how I weep for more flights from Japanese carriers)

leftcoast8

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:38 pm

malev2012 wrote:
leftcoast8 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

Wouldn't that be a backtrack? Kind of like how Australia-India pax have to backtrack via DXB

Yea its a whopping 280 mile backtrack! BA isn't going to let EI operate a rival flight to peel away pax from LHR flight. Out of the list AMS/CDG is the most likely because Oneworld and Star already have TATL where SkyTeam doesn't so they have the most to gain from a new destination.

Heh...I corrected myself, you'll see the post was edited.

theasianguy

Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:00 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:

-

Just to clarify, I dont know that Id say the Asian percentage between Austin, DFW, and (especially) Houston are that similar.

Here is from 2017:

Percentage of Asian population:
Greater Houston: 7.7% - 545,052
DFW: 6.5% - 507,544
Metro Austin: 108,636 - 5.4

Asian Growth from 2013-2017
DFW: 114,863
Greater Houston: 101,896
Metro Austin: 22,166

To clarify the above growth, DFW's Asian growth is impressive but its predominantly centered around one country: India. Almost 75k of that 114k came from there. Houston's is much more spread out between East and South Asia.

You asked about Chinese population. Its below:
Greater Houston: 96,116
DFW: 64,171
Austin: 22,360

Heres how many Asian Immigrants came to each metro area in 2017:
Greater Houston: 14,287
DFW: 14,108
Austin Metro Area: 3,042

Heres the top three countries where those people came from:

Greater Houston:
Vietnam: 2,905
India: 2,238
China: 1,673
Pakistan: 1,189
Philippines: 1,061

DFW:
India: 3,056
Vietnam: 1,674
Afghanistan: 988
Nepal: 968
Pakistan: 808

Austin:
India: 516
Vietnam: 273
China: 266
Korea: 173
Philippines: 147

LAXdude1023, many thanks for posting this fascinating demographic data. Would you mind sharing where you are getting these numbers from?

Galwayman

Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 pm

malev2012 wrote:
leftcoast8 wrote:
DUB and PVG might make sense due to the strong tech industry in Ireland, and Shanghai's proximity to Hangzhou (home of Alibaba; many HG tech millionaires have second homes in Shanghai)

IAG companies compete , they don’t collude ... it keeps them lean , agile and competitive . It’s central to IAG strategy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos