bcbhokie

Re: AUS eyes nonstop flights to 7 interc’l destinations: AMS, BJS, DUB, CDG, ICN, PVG, TYO

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:00 pm

acavpics wrote:
Prost wrote:
I believe AUS would need an airline to hub there in order to make those destinations work.

Isn't DL going to make AUS a focus city/mini hub?

Exactly. This list of destinations reads like a copied list of DL overseas hubs, and I suspect the airport authority is specifically targeting DL here given the intended expansion. I think we’ll see either AMS or CDG, as well as ICN, sometime in the next five years; the operating airline may vary between AF/KL/DL/KE depending on what’s needed to capture the most incentives.

Super88

Re: AUS eyes nonstop flights to 7 interc’l destinations: AMS, BJS, DUB, CDG, ICN, PVG, TYO

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:28 pm

BA serves DFW/IAH/AUS and LH serves DFW/IAH/AUS, JL or ANA could serve TYO (JL serves DFW, ANA serves IAH) there is room for another nonstop to TYO especially with the 787, KL to AMS and TK could fly in out of the blue to IST....AUS is it's own market in between DFW and IAH and if there is a nonstop option people will take that vs changing. who ever would have thought 15 to 20 yrs ago AUS would have international service to Europe and nonstop's service up and down the East and West coast. everything use to go through DFW or IAH.

N649DL

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:14 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
N649DL wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:
Yeah I think Podonktown, USA is eyeing big international routes as well...

AUS is definitely not that. I'm a new arrival living here from LAX and AUS is more down to earth and cultured than expected. DEN for all that INT'L service it gets is more "podunktown" than AUS in many respects as a city itself. I lived there for work in 2016-2017 and couldn't believe how redneck it felt under the hood.

Many of these cities are out of reach for it though. DL flying AUS-CDG or AMS might be a nice alternative considering it's a focus city for AUS now and a gorgeous new SkyClub.

I would disagree! I am from LA and have lived in AUS and DEN as well. AUS felt like a small town and much more of a “podunktown” and redneck than Denver or LA. The weather in Austin was awful compared both to LA and DEN as well. I would pick DEN over AUS for culture and quality of life any day, although I prefer LA over both of them. AUS May see limited service internationally in the future, but with IAH and DFW so close I would not expect much.

Weather doesn't really make or break a city but Denver's weather was beyond insane when I lived there. 85 degree days in March followed by 5 inches of snow on your car by October.

LA obviously has AUS and DEN beat out from a cultural standpoint. IDK how long I'll be in AUS (vs. LA which I needed a break from but I would go back and live in a different neighborhood) but so far I like it a lot better than DEN. AUS is much stronger from an economic standpoint and cheaper to live in vs. DEN as well. Aside the sports teams and mountains and DEN is pretty much a sprawling WASPY metro area. And many are looking to flee DEN people of the insane COL and real estate prices.

Back to topic, if DL can fly TPA and IND to Europe then I don't see why they wouldn't eventually do so for AUS considering it's a "Focus City."

Planes4you

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:29 pm

Super88 wrote:
BA serves DFW/IAH/AUS and LH serves DFW/IAH/AUS, JL or ANA could serve TYO (JL serves DFW, ANA serves IAH) there is room for another nonstop to TYO especially with the 787, KL to AMS and TK could fly in out of the blue to IST....AUS is it's own market in between DFW and IAH and if there is a nonstop option people will take that vs changing. who ever would have thought 15 to 20 yrs ago AUS would have international service to Europe and nonstop's service up and down the East and West coast. everything use to go through DFW or IAH.

Why would either of those airlines fly to Austin when both cities are 3 hours away?And DFW has a better chance of getting Turkish then Austin especially considering they have plans for US expansion

atx11

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:50 pm

So much ridiculousness in this thread...

I’ve lived in Austin, didn’t like it too much, but needed to be there at the time. Austin 5 years ago is not Austin 2019. Anyone that puts down that city has zero clue what they’re talking about from an economic & growth perspective.

This is obviously a wish list of cities, and not all of them will come true, but w/ Apple’s new campus, current tech, and more companies on the way, I could see additional international service.

Oh and to the airheads that put down Texas, just remember DFW and Houston are #4 and #5 top metros in the country aside from the fact that Texas has a ridiculous amount of Fortune 500 companies. DFW alone has 3 of the top 10. Give me a break and leave your 70/80s stereotypes at the door. It’s 2019, join the rest of us.

malev2012

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:56 pm

atx11 wrote:

I’ve lived in Austin, didn’t like it too much, but needed to be there at the time. Austin 5 years ago is not Austin 2019. Anyone that puts down that city has zero clue what they’re talking about from an economic & growth perspective.

This is obviously a wish list of cities, and not all of them will come true, but w/ Apple’s new campus, current tech, and more companies on the way, I could see additional international service.

Oh and to the airheads that put down Texas, just remember DFW and Houston are #4 and #5 top metros in the country aside from the fact that Texas has a ridiculous amount of Fortune 500 companies. DFW alone has 3 of the top 10. Give me a break and leave your 70/80s stereotypes at the door. It’s 2019, join the rest of us.

It is always hilarious when I talk to people from New York and explain how big Texas is. They always ask when did Texas pass New York as the 2nd largest state....uh 1990. At the current growth rates DFW will surpass Chicago in two decades, and that is if Chicago doesn't shrink. Austin's MSA has grown 26% since 2010 and that was starting with 1.7million.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:36 pm

I’d like to express my admiration and approval for AUS :bigthumbsup: for coming up with this lustrous list outlining it’s ambitions for direct global connectivity with major world-class aviation/socio-economic hubs in Europe and Asia, despite the obvious odds and hurdles (like proximity to DFW/IAH and the related invested interests by AA/UA therein, as raised over and over by some posters above).

Such longhaul aspirations of AUS put me in immediate mind of how a number of secondary Chinese cities (NKG/HGH/CTU/CKG/XIY/WUH/CGO/CSX/SZX/TAO/XMN etc) have been trying all they can to push for intercontinental longhaul connectivity literally from scratch by seeking to establish nonstop air links with top-tier/famed global hubs like LON, CDG, LAX, JFK in Europe and N America (with the huge help of subsidies of course).

Some of these Chinese cities are even in a pretty similar tough spot as faced by AUS location and competition wise (SZX springs to mind) . But that hasn’t diminished or dampened a bit their intercontinental longhaul enthusiasm. There have been, and surely will be, failures and successes along the way. The point is that you need to set clear goals and plans, then just go for it by playing the right card with the right airlines.

I do wish AUS the best of luck in its quest to forge more crucial global air links in coming years/decades :yes:

N649DL

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:37 pm

malev2012 wrote:
atx11 wrote:

It is always hilarious when I talk to people from New York and explain how big Texas is. They always ask when did Texas pass New York as the 2nd largest state....uh 1990. At the current growth rates DFW will surpass Chicago in two decades, and that is if Chicago doesn't shrink. Austin's MSA has grown 26% since 2010 and that was starting with 1.7million.

That's possible but it's actually supposedly Houston that will overtake Chicago first in the next 10-20 years. DFW and AUS will continue to grow A LOT as well however.

zakuivcustom

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:31 am

Zoedyn wrote:
I’d like to express my admiration and approval for AUS :bigthumbsup: for coming up with this lustrous list outlining it’s ambitions for direct global connectivity with major world-class aviation/socio-economic hubs in Europe and Asia, despite the obvious odds and hurdles (like proximity to DFW/IAH and the related invested interests by AA/UA therein, as raised over and over by some posters above).

Such longhaul aspirations of AUS put me in immediate mind of how a number of secondary Chinese cities (NKG/HGH/CTU/CKG/XIY/WUH/CGO/CSX/SZX/TAO/XMN etc) have been trying all they can to push for intercontinental longhaul connectivity literally from scratch by seeking to establish nonstop air links with top-tier/famed global hubs like LON, CDG, LAX, JFK in Europe and N America (with the huge help of subsidies of course).

Some of these Chinese cities are even in a pretty similar tough spot as faced by AUS location and competition wise (SZX springs to mind) . But that hasn’t diminished or dampened a bit their intercontinental longhaul enthusiasm. There have been, and surely will be, failures and successes along the way. The point is that you need to set clear goals and plans, then just go for it by playing the right card with the right airlines.

I do wish AUS the best of luck in its quest to forge more crucial global air links in coming years/decades :yes:

SZX would be more like SJC instead of AUS, though. They even got the whole (Yueguangao) Greater Bay Area concept copied directly from "San Francisco BAY AREA" :white:

I would say the closest "equivalent" (b/c it's stretching things quite a bit) to AUS would be HGH - i.e. booming tech city with a relatively affluent population, but get overshadowed heavily by its neighbor (i.e. Shanghai in Hangzhou's case). Hangzhou is a LOT larger than Austin, though.

Ok, perhaps Wuxi/Suzhou, but WUX will not get any intercontinental flights soon.

On a side note, if they EVER build a HSR on the Texas Triangle, I would be happy (But WN wouldn't be :duck: ). But then, they can't even get that Austin-San Antonio rail built (and they already talked about that 10 years ago...), and money can definitely be better spent to improve roads around Austin, the same city that still has the same infrastructure 10 years ago but only grew by 500k people. Did I mentioned that Austin traffic was just as bad in 2009?
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

malev2012

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:52 am

N649DL wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
atx11 wrote:

That's possible but it's actually supposedly Houston that will overtake Chicago first in the next 10-20 years. DFW and AUS will continue to grow A LOT as well however.

Maybe you mean the City of Houston over City of Chicago. DFW has half million more people with a similar growth rate to the Houston metro.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

gunsontheroof

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:36 am

I think folks are getting a little carried away with what "wish list" means here...AUS is definitely not going to land all of those flights any time soon (and probably never the full lot), but outside of PEK/PVG, I think AUS could see some additional service to Europe (CDG or AMS seems most likely) and possibly a flight to TYO if JL or NH wants to take a swing at it in the next five years or so. I can't see a US carrier using a slot at HND for AUS and NRT doesn't seem likely these days. DUB doesn't strike me as particularly likely, but EI has seemed like they're trying to add more North American capacity, so I wouldn't count it out.

dfdubflyer wrote:
spinotter wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:
Sad, isn’t it. So sad that states lose their identity and what made the unique when ‘outsiders’ move and change the culture.

I'm sorry, but the identity of Texas before high-tech Austin and massive immigration is not something anyone would shed a single tear over.

Lol... we invented the microchip (in Dallas btw), but sure all rednecks. You’re a troll.

By a Missourian raised in Kansas who got their degree in Illinois, IIRC. ;)
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

airbazar

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:34 am

Longhornmaniac wrote:
I agree with your first statements. Comparing Boston, even 20 years ago, to Austin now is a lousy one.

But understand that to Texans, driving to DFW from Austin is as ridiculous as driving from Boston to New York. It's the same distance within a couple of miles. So when people suggest Austinites are apt to drive from Austin to DFW to fly somewhere, it's the same as asking if a Bostonian would drive to New York, or, in terms you'd understand, Indianapolis to O'Hare.

There are probably some select few that do it, but for the vast majority it's seen as a pretty ridiculous notion.

I'm not sure what this argument has to do with the topic but I'm one of those select few who likes to save $300-$400 per ticket. Multiply that for a family of 3 or 4 and it's a no brainer.
I'll give you a concrete example: I'm driving from north of Boston to JFK to fly JFK-FRA-SIN-DPS and back with SQ because it saves me $400pp vs. flying from BOS. That's $1200 for my family of 3. No small change. A couple of years ago I drove to LGA to fly LGA-MIA and back during April school vacation. Saved about $300/pp because NY doesn't have a April school vacation. For a lot of people with school age kinds driving to NY is a viable option. It happens a lot more often than you think.
By it's pure definition this is leisure traffic and not what airlines are looking for so how many people like me drive 4 hours to catch a flight during school vacation has little bearing on the ability of AUS to attract and sustain long haul international routes. In the end it comes down to what the local business institutions want, much like RDU. On that note, if RDU can sustain a 763 to CDG I'd have to think that so does AUS and therefor it's only a matter of time

wv399

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:59 am

With the right incentives, Delta could be enticed to start a Paris flight. But since they don't serve Los Angeles from LHR or AMS, I doubt they'd use up a slot for Austin. AUS has more in common with RDU than BOS.

luckyone

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:08 am

wv399 wrote:
With the right incentives, Delta could be enticed to start a Paris flight. But since they don't serve Los Angeles from LHR or AMS, I doubt they'd use up a slot for Austin. AUS has more in common with RDU than BOS.

Delta does serve LHR/AMS from LAX. LHR via VS which it effectively controls, and AMS via KL, with whom they split the revenue.

reggiet

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:01 am

vin2basketball wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:
Yeah I think Podonktown, USA is eyeing big international routes as well...

AUS handled 16m passengers last year and is on pace for 17+ this year (basically growing at 8-9% per year), which is about on par with PDX, which has nonstop service to Asia, and bigger than SJC/ONT (though those are obviously part of larger metro areas) which do as well.

AUS also has nonstop service to LHR which BA routinely flies a 744 on, FRA on LH, and LGW on DY.

AUS by itself is a 2.1 million person metro area, but the catchment area for international flying includes SAT at 2.5 million people, so the combined catchment for int'l flying is at least 4.6 million people. The drive from AUS (the airport) to San Antonio is under 90 minutes, and for the wealthiest San Antonio suburbs (where most int'l demand is likely to originate) it can be under 75 minutes.

A 4 million catchment puts AUS above LAS, PDX, DEN, SAN, MSP, SEA, DTW, all of which have nonstop service to Asia, plus ahead of CLT, MCO, PHX which have multiple TATL flights.

And oh by the way GDP per capita is way higher in AUS even before you account for the fact that the much lower cost of living means more disposable income for families.

Yes AUS isn't NYC, the Bay Area, Miami, or Chicago, but it's not Oklahoma City, Buffalo, or Louisville for crying out loud.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
Reggie in Austin

spinotter

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:57 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
spinotter wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:
Sad, isn’t it. So sad that states lose their identity and what made the unique when ‘outsiders’ move and change the culture.

I'm sorry, but the identity of Texas before high-tech Austin and massive immigration is not something anyone would shed a single tear over.

What do you think our culture was?

I didn't know that you had a culture.

LAXdude1023

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:19 pm

spinotter wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
spinotter wrote:

So you're proud of your own ignorance? That's nice.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

spinotter

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:32 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
spinotter wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

As you must comprehend, I did not mean that comment seriously. But your question was just too tempting for me to resist. Besides, I thought you were a LAX dude.

LAXdude1023

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:41 pm

spinotter wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
spinotter wrote:

As you must comprehend, I did not mean that comment seriously. But your question was just too tempting for me to resist. Besides, I thought you were a LAX dude.

I used to live in Los Angeles 13 years ago when I signed up for this site. Texas has been my home state since 2010.

People love to crap on Texas but I find almost no one knows anything about it. In my line of work I encounter people from all over. I met a girl from NYC that was scared to come to Houston for training because shes black. Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the world and top 5 for diversity in the US. I told her this and she was skeptical. But when she came, she loved it and wants to come back.

This is easily the most stereotyped state in the country. It makes people here angry for that reason.

spinotter

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:54 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
spinotter wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

I used to live in Los Angeles 13 years ago when I signed up for this site. Texas has been my home state since 2010.

People love to crap on Texas but I find almost no one knows anything about it. In my line of work I encounter people from all over. I met a girl from NYC that was scared to come to Houston for training because shes black. Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the world and top 5 for diversity in the US. I told her this and she was skeptical. But when she came, she loved it and wants to come back.

This is easily the most stereotyped state in the country. It makes people here angry for that reason.

I have only been to Texas twice, one week in Houston and one week in Dallas. It was much too hot for me, even in winter, and the automobile-centric nature of the cities turned me away. I would never choose to go to Texas again for those reasons, but I am glad that you like Houston and wish you the best.

LAXdude1023

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:10 pm

spinotter wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
spinotter wrote:

I have only been to Texas twice, one week in Houston and one week in Dallas. It was much too hot for me, even in winter, and the automobile-centric nature of the cities turned me away. I would never choose to go to Texas again for those reasons, but I am glad that you like Houston and wish you the best.

I can respect that. Im not saying everyone should love it and there are legitimate reasons for not liking it (it is hot and hard to get around with no car). But while disliking Texas for what it is respectable, disliking Texas for what it isnt I take issue with.

IAHWorldflyer

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:55 pm

atx11 wrote:

I totally agree with this. I live in Houston, but Austin ( and San Antonio) have been part of my sales territory for 10+ years. I visit there every month. Austin has grown not just in population, but in the type of population and type of jobs that these people do. It's a very highly educated workforce, and also a much younger workforce than Houston, DFW, or LA or NYC for that matter. Will Austin get all these routes? Of course not. But, I'm wiling to bet that there is a route to East Asia nonstop within the next 5 years. I think there's enough business travel going that direction to buy many J class seats. And those that say Austin is too close to DFW and IAH? It's all about the market and cachement area. RDU and CLT have international service. So do MCO and TPA. And SAN and LAX. And PHL and BWI. It's about what the market can support.

zakuivcustom

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:57 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:

(Somewhat getting off topic)
LOL...I guess that girl read too much into places like Vidor, TX?

In terms of diversity - actually, it's not just how diverse Houston is, but (especially) in SW Houston, it's totally mixed together instead of so-call "diverse" cities like NYC where people have their own hood and nobody cross to the other side of the road.

I do agree about the "people love to crap on Texas" part. Funny thing is, I live in Indiana right now and I hear people here crap on Texas also, as if Indiana is not even more podunk (and MUCH more backward) than Texas.

LAXdude1023 wrote:
I can respect that. Im not saying everyone should love it and there are legitimate reasons for not liking it (it is hot and hard to get around with no car). But while disliking Texas for what it is respectable, disliking Texas for what it isnt I take issue with.

I'm personally fine with this also. People that are used to 4 season will probably not enjoy Texas weather, which consist of, well, 4 seasons in a day :bouncy:

Super88

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:38 pm

Planes4you.....
"Why would either of those airlines fly to Austin when both cities are 3 hours away?And DFW has a better chance of getting Turkish then Austin especially considering they have plans for US expansion"

if BA and LH can serve DFW/IAH/AUS then another airline that serves DFW or IAH or Both can serve AUS as well, AUS is its own market now and getting bigger....people use to drive to DFW or HOUSTON now there is a lot more service and choices where as before it was limited. a 3 hr drive to DFW can take up to 5 hrs depending on traffic and road work. So yes Turkish could start AUS if it saw a market potential.

atx11

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:39 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
spinotter wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Agree w/ this 100%. In my experience, the people w/ the strongest opinions have either never visited a place, or been to a place once 20 years ago and will judge a place the way they saw it until the day they die. Both terrible ways to go about life and also (in my case) a terrible way to do business in this day and age. But to each their own...

ETA: the even funnier thing is you can read the NYT or WSJ (depending on your preference) and see they’re calling Austin one of new “elite cities” due to tech and exponential wealth growth. That said, if certain groups want to keep their heads in the sand, more opportunities for the rest of us :)

spinotter

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:31 pm

atx11 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
spinotter wrote:

Agree w/ this 100%. In my experience, the people w/ the strongest opinions have either never visited a place, or been to a place once 20 years ago and will judge a place the way they saw it until the day they die. Both terrible ways to go about life and also (in my case) a terrible way to do business in this day and age. But to each their own...

ETA: the even funnier thing is you can read the NYT or WSJ (depending on your preference) and see they’re calling Austin one of new “elite cities” due to tech and exponential wealth growth. That said, if certain groups want to keep their heads in the sand, more opportunities for the rest of us :)

I've heard plenty about Austin lately, some of it good and some not so good. Like how the highways are choked even though there is a tollway alternative to I-35. Like how come it doesn't have a light rail network if it is such a wonderful place? Such a canker on the ecosystem, huge and booming and not giving a thought to public transit or CO2 reduction, is in my opinion an even more vulgar stereotype of Silicon Valley. If the human race is indeed engaged in self-suicide, AUS is doing it up with a vengeance. Hooray nonstop AUS-PVG!

atx11

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:30 pm

spinotter wrote:
atx11 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

I've heard plenty about Austin lately, some of it good and some not so good. Like how the highways are choked even though there is a tollway alternative to I-35. Like how come it doesn't have a light rail network if it is such a wonderful place? Such a canker on the ecosystem, huge and booming and not giving a thought to public transit or CO2 reduction, is in my opinion an even more vulgar stereotype of Silicon Valley. If the human race is indeed engaged in self-suicide, AUS is doing it up with a vengeance. Hooray nonstop AUS-PVG!

They are developing a light rail network actually. One main line is done from certain northern suburbs to downtown, and another line is being built from downtown to the airport. Change takes time. We can’t just snap our fingers and create an incredible amount of mass transit infrastructure instantly. Northern cities like Chicago and NY have had their mass transit system for decades, give it some time.

LAXdude1023

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:49 pm

atx11 wrote:
spinotter wrote:
atx11 wrote:

They are developing a light rail network actually. One main line is done from certain northern suburbs to downtown, and another line is being built from downtown to the airport. Change takes time. We can’t just snap our fingers and create an incredible amount of mass transit infrastructure instantly. Northern cities like Chicago and NY have had their mass transit system for decades, give it some time.

The future is not going to involve doing away with cars. It’s going to involve making them more eco friendly.

bravotango75

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:51 pm

spinotter wrote:
atx11 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Nothing sadder than aging hippies.

LAX772LR

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:45 pm

bravotango75 wrote:
spinotter wrote:
Such a canker on the ecosystem, huge and booming and not giving a thought to public transit or CO2 reduction, is in my opinion an even more vulgar stereotype of Silicon Valley. If the human race is indeed engaged in self-suicide, AUS is doing it up with a vengeance. Hooray nonstop AUS-PVG!

^This.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

joeman

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:10 am

Typical a.netter crap. (mine is bigger or better than yours)...,As a industrial Midwest person use to the half a century of bias accentuated/exaggeration by our beloved coastal (and DEFINETLY SOUTHERN) media/ignorant brainwashed people that cling to media proposed images that make themselves look more important....good for AUS reaching for anything outside of a typical hub stranglehold. No offense to Texas, but the overall posts often suggest a portrayal of entitlement... It's only recent that that we've actually seen more consolidated TX threads as opposed to "Why no nonstop from DFW to Hooterville?".

Civic pride is one thing, but anything Texas being the center of "Not all that" is hardly new, just like everywhere else, including the divine New York and California, in case they don't know it.
Last edited by joeman on Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

zakuivcustom

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:11 am

atx11 wrote:

The problem is that Austin is still in Texas, and those true backward Texans from East Texas or Panhandle don't care that the backyard where they "work" (b/c Texas legislature session is so short anyway) are all congested.

The talk of building a Light Rail Line to AUS (the airport) or out east to Manor had been around for decade, yet nothing has been built. Hack, even ultra car-centric Houston has a better light rail system than eternally congested ATX.

spinotter wrote:

TX-130 is useless for people living IN Austin for the most part anyway, and despite its 85mph speed limit, trunk drivers (Which it's intended for) are just not going to pay the toll.

Maybe they should have listened to Rick Perry (Man...that seems like an eternity ago now) and demolish half of East Austin to built TTC :duck:

P.S. We need to get back on topic instead of talking about how crappy Austin traffic is, b/c that had been a fact for 20 years and going now.

WN732

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:28 am

william wrote:
spinotter wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:

As an African American living in Texas most of my life, please inform me what I have been missing?

We use to have a phrase,"Texas Friendly", with all of the new growth, its not so "Friendly" especially on the freeways.

Yes that part of Austin is unfortunate. But I still find that outside in the smaller cities it's still very much Texas.

Planes4you

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:46 am

Super88 wrote:
Planes4you.....
"Why would either of those airlines fly to Austin when both cities are 3 hours away?And DFW has a better chance of getting Turkish then Austin especially considering they have plans for US expansion"

if BA and LH can serve DFW/IAH/AUS then another airline that serves DFW or IAH or Both can serve AUS as well, AUS is its own market now and getting bigger....people use to drive to DFW or HOUSTON now there is a lot more service and choices where as before it was limited. a 3 hr drive to DFW can take up to 5 hrs depending on traffic and road work. So yes Turkish could start AUS if it saw a market potential.

That’s because the market is big enough for those 2 airlines.And as of now Turkish seeds dfw as it’s next Texas market so no aus for awhile

lydh

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:10 am

Austin should focus on building useful public transit, solving its homelessness problem and building more affordable housing before aiming for more international flights. It’s one of the most provincial “cool” cities in America, and its people are provincial and see the world in a myopic way, but it sure thinks it’s the next SF, for all the wrong reasons.

atx11

Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:53 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
atx11 wrote:

The problem is that Austin is still in Texas, and those true backward Texans from East Texas or Panhandle don't care that the backyard where they "work" (b/c Texas legislature session is so short anyway) are all congested.

The talk of building a Light Rail Line to AUS (the airport) or out east to Manor had been around for decade, yet nothing has been built. Hack, even ultra car-centric Houston has a better light rail system than eternally congested ATX.

spinotter wrote:

TX-130 is useless for people living IN Austin for the most part anyway, and despite its 85mph speed limit, trunk drivers (Which it's intended for) are just not going to pay the toll.

Maybe they should have listened to Rick Perry (Man...that seems like an eternity ago now) and demolish half of East Austin to built TTC :duck:

P.S. We need to get back on topic instead of talking about how crappy Austin traffic is, b/c that had been a fact for 20 years and going now.

To a certain extent. The real opposition to transforming I35 and elsewhere has been local.

If you go up north to Dallas or east to Houston, the infrastructure (freeways/tollways/rail/etc) is night and day from Austin because local leaders have fought for it and partnered with private companies to make it happen. Austin wants to have a green solution but they’re sacrificing any hope of traffic relief anytime soon.

spinotter

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:04 pm

bravotango75 wrote:
spinotter wrote:
atx11 wrote:

There is something infinitely sadder than an aging hippie - a suicidal humanity marching toward oblivion in total ignorance. You seem to belong to that group.

N408BN

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:17 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
Aiming very high those Texans.
And the regional international destinations when?
AUS neither interested in AV from SAL nor CM from PTY before they chose SAT?

AUS and SAT are only 68 miles apart. In Texas, that distance is nothing!
Braniff got you there with Flying Colors

PW100

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:45 pm

spinotter wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:
spinotter wrote:

There is something infinitely sadder than an aging hippie - a suicidal humanity marching toward oblivion in total ignorance. You seem to belong to that group.

What is really insane, burning fossil fuels at a rate of 100.000 or upto a million time faster than earth is/was producing them, and not expecting any associated atmospheric/climatic reaction . . . uch.
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

spinotter

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:54 pm

PW100 wrote:
spinotter wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:

What is really insane, burning fossil fuels at a rate of 100.000 or upto a million time faster than earth is/was producing them, and not expecting any associated atmospheric/climatic reaction . . . uch.

So you are my friend and ally in this. The human race needs to moderate its behavior, or I cannot guarantee the results. Not only airline miles, but plastic containers, new insecticides - the list goes on and on, but humanity, you will be mown down like new-born grass if you continue this way. And with my total approval. You think, with your 7.7 billion members, that nothing will ever happen to disturb your meat-eating, carbon-burning evil lifestyle. Well, I have BIG NEWS for you, loser species.

N649DL

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:40 pm

spinotter wrote:
atx11 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

AUS is the #14 worst traffic city in the country this year, which really isn't all that bad. The main question is why NYC, BOS, Chicago, DC are worse than L.A. at this point? That's highly concerning as they all have better mass transit than L.A. and AUS barely has any mass transit: https://www.businessinsider.com/us-citi ... imore-md-1

WN732

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:43 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

(Somewhat getting off topic)
LOL...I guess that girl read too much into places like Vidor, TX?

In terms of diversity - actually, it's not just how diverse Houston is, but (especially) in SW Houston, it's totally mixed together instead of so-call "diverse" cities like NYC where people have their own hood and nobody cross to the other side of the road.

I do agree about the "people love to crap on Texas" part. Funny thing is, I live in Indiana right now and I hear people here crap on Texas also, as if Indiana is not even more podunk (and MUCH more backward) than Texas.

LAXdude1023 wrote:

I'm personally fine with this also. People that are used to 4 season will probably not enjoy Texas weather, which consist of, well, 4 seasons in a day :bouncy:

As a former Californian I can attest that when telling people that I was moving to Texas the reaction was "Why?." Then I had folks come out to visit me in Austin and were shocked. I've heard, "I thought Texas was all desert", "It's the wild wild west out there", etc. People who rag on Texas clearly have never been. It's truly a great state and I am so glad to be away from California.

Back to topic; For now Europe is well covered and I think AUS should look to Asia. Our tech sector would be prime for a 787 to ICN to match with DL's focus city.

Or

AUS could do what ONT did and lure an airline like China Airlines with less than daily service to TPE

zakuivcustom

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:29 am

N649DL wrote:
AUS is the #14 worst traffic city in the country this year, which really isn't all that bad. The main question is why NYC, BOS, Chicago, DC are worse than L.A. at this point? That's highly concerning as they all have better mass transit than L.A. and AUS barely has any mass transit: https://www.businessinsider.com/us-citi ... imore-md-1

(Still off topic)
Umm...the only cities on that list that are similar size to Austin would be Pittsburgh (I've never been there, but is the traffic really THAT bad?) and Portland OR (Due to bottlenecks? i.e. there are only so many bridges across Willamette/Columbia River and also those mountains between the like of Beaverton and Portland?). Of course Austin traffic is not that bad compare to LA.

WN732 wrote:
As a former Californian I can attest that when telling people that I was moving to Texas the reaction was "Why?." Then I had folks come out to visit me in Austin and were shocked. I've heard, "I thought Texas was all desert", "It's the wild wild west out there", etc. People who rag on Texas clearly have never been. It's truly a great state and I am so glad to be away from California.

"Wild Wild West" do exist...in Western part of Texas (and, well, New Mexico and Oklahoma).

P.S. I personally still think AUS should just aim for more TATL service first (CDG especially comes to mind) before TPAC. TPAC is just one of those thing that are not as lucrative as people make it out to be, even with tons of premium demands.

N649DL

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:27 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
N649DL wrote:

(Still off topic)
Umm...the only cities on that list that are similar size to Austin would be Pittsburgh (I've never been there, but is the traffic really THAT bad?) and Portland OR (Due to bottlenecks? i.e. there are only so many bridges across Willamette/Columbia River and also those mountains between the like of Beaverton and Portland?). Of course Austin traffic is not that bad compare to LA.

WN732 wrote:

"Wild Wild West" do exist...in Western part of Texas (and, well, New Mexico and Oklahoma).

P.S. I personally still think AUS should just aim for more TATL service first (CDG especially comes to mind) before TPAC. TPAC is just one of those thing that are not as lucrative as people make it out to be, even with tons of premium demands.

As far as I'm concerned, AUS is another non-port city fulled with rednecks who need to behave themselves compared to the coasts so therefore it's another PHX, PDX, SEA, MSP, DEN port city with it's likely amount of mountain hicks. If anyone has a problem with it, just ask the bar staff at a local bar who pressed their redneck morals on me.

WN732

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:30 pm

N649DL wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
N649DL wrote:

(Still off topic)

WN732 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, AUS is another non-port city fulled with rednecks who need to behave themselves compared to the coasts so therefore it's another PHX, PDX, SEA, MSP, DEN port city with it's likely amount of mountain hicks. If anyone has a problem with it, just ask the bar staff at a local bar who pressed their redneck morals on me.

Y'all need to grasp a firm grip on reality.

PacoMartin

Re: AUS eyes nonstop flights to DUB, CDG, ICN, PVG, TYO

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:05 pm

Great Circle Ranges AUS to:
DUB 4,029 nm
CDG 4,440 nm
The new A321XLR (extra long range) can go up to 4,700 nm under still air conditions. That probably means that Dublin would be within range, but probably not Paris.

Right now Hawaiian Airlines flies their A321neos as far as Phoenix. Possibly if they upconvert their remaining four orders to the long range version, than Austin might be in range, but that is probably pushing the upper range limit.

Hawaiian Airlines has 24 A330's as well, which they are using to fly to JFK and BOS plus their international destinations and busy routes like HNL to LAX. I don't know if they would get enough traffic from Austin, but possibly a less than daily frequency.
AUS HNL 3,270 nm
HNL PHX 2,535 nm

------------
Greater Auston is a metro area of 2 million and has an airport that is not an airline hub. AUS has year round nonstops to London Heathrow and Frankfurt and seasonal flights to London Gatwick.

Greater San Antonio metro area has a population of 2.5 million and has no nonstops to Europe.

HoyaMike

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:28 pm

PacoMartin wrote:
DUB 4,029 nm
CDG 4,440 nm
The new A321XLR (extra long range) can go up to 4,700 nm under still air conditions. That probably means that Dublin would be within range, but probably not Paris.

Right now Hawaiian Airlines flies their A321neos as far as Phoenix. Possibly if they upconvert their remaining four orders to the long range version, than Austin might be in range, but that is probably pushing the upper range limit.

Hawaiian Airlines has 24 A330's as well, which they are using to fly to JFK and BOS plus their international destinations and busy routes like HNL to LAX. I don't know if they would get enough traffic from Austin, but possibly a less than daily frequency.
AUS HNL 3,270 nm
HNL PHX 2,535 nm

------------
Greater Auston is a metro area of 2 million and has an airport that is not an airline hub. AUS has year round nonstops to London Heathrow and Frankfurt and seasonal flights to London Gatwick.

Greater San Antonio metro area has a population of 2.5 million and has no nonstops to Europe.

Hawaiian flies their A330s to PHX

YoungDon

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:29 pm

N649DL wrote:
spinotter wrote:
atx11 wrote:

Traffic there is bad. I lived there for two years and I would say Austin's main congested corridors are just as bad as the congested corridors in Houston or Dallas (lived both of those places too for the record). How bad it really is depends on the source of your data. I like the Texas A&M Urban Mobility Report personally as it uses consistent, repeatable, logical methodology (https://static.tti.tamu.edu/tti.tamu.ed ... t-2019.pdf). The most recent update shows Austin as having worse traffic than any of it's similarly sized metros except San Jose and the Inland Empire of California (both of which I would argue are actually parts of larger urban areas). It arguably has the worst traffic of any city of its size in the country and has more hours of delay and a worse travel time index than quite a few larger metros. It's the result of decades of anti-growth policies that have come home to roost.

WN732

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:31 pm

PacoMartin wrote:
DUB 4,029 nm
CDG 4,440 nm

AUS HNL 3,270 nm
HNL PHX 2,535 nm

------------

Do you have any PDEW data on AUS - Hawaii? It would be interesting to see what traffic is there. That is a long flight for us when most of the Carribean is within 4 hours.

atcsundevil

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:58 pm

The personal attacks in this thread need to stop. Discuss the topic respectfully, or move on.

✈️ atcsundevil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos