Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PacoMartin

Re: AUS eyes nonstop flights to 7 interc’l destinations: AMS, BJS, DUB, CDG, ICN, PVG, TYO

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:42 pm

Background information
121 767-200ER last order 14. Jun. 2005; range 6,590 nmi ; three class seating 174 seats (15F, 40J, 119Y)
583 767-300ER last order 23. Feb. 2012; range 5,980 nmi ; three class seating 210 seats (18F, 42J, 150Y)

The 763ER with three dozen more seats was clearly a much more successful jet, selling nearly 5X as many jets as the 762ER. But the 762ER made the first commercial transatlantic crossings with 2 engines in 1985.

But in the 15 years since the last B767-200ER was ordered there is a much greater demand to fly from a medium size US airport to someplace in Europe other than London and Frankfurt. Even the A321XLR range is intended to be 4700 nmi, still far short of the B767-200ER.

It's a shame that there are no small truly long range jets like the B767-200ER available for purchase today that would make routes like AUS-CDG much more feasible.

marosbts

Re: AUS eyes nonstop flights to 7 interc’l destinations: AMS, BJS, DUB, CDG, ICN, PVG, TYO

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Honestly, AUS is ready for more international routes, but ....

I relocated here recently and I can tell you that getting here from Europe is not a great experience currently. Your sole 2 options are virtually LH and BA. Both options have their quirks and are priced way above flying into DWF or IAH. Yet the flights which we took were packed to the last seat. And I am pretty sure that if BA can fill the 747 daily with those yields, they surely consider it a success. Same for LH and I would not be surprised if at some point in the next year or two they swap AUS to some larger equipment just in order to cover the market. Otherwise I see KLM as the next candidate to send an A330 over here.

As far as Asia goes, I honestly think this place should have had a flight to India already, it looks like Little Delhi at times here. But sooner or later AUS will get a non stop flight to some asian high tech city as TPE or PVG.

And those which are sceptic about AUS growth potential should really check out how much Austin has changed. Its all high tech jobs which are beeing created here, with high income people, massive amounts of expats which simply will travel intercontinentally either for business or to visit their home countries. Personally I think DL should take the opportunity and make AUS a mini hub, covering Texas. With Austin in the middle, there is quite same overlap of the catchment area with DFW and IAH. And as some of you pointed that the disadvantage of AUS is the vicinity of both Houston and Dallas, this can be also used as an advantage.

And now to the but... AUS terminal is right now not fit for more intercontinental routes. The international arrivals zone is miniscule and saying its crowded in busy times is a massive understatement. One baggage belt, very crowded immigration (although very pleasant attitude). I think they really have to first make changes to the terminal before attempting to get much more intl traffic

LAXdude1023

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:32 pm

marosbts wrote:

I relocated here recently and I can tell you that getting here from Europe is not a great experience currently. Your sole 2 options are virtually LH and BA. Both options have their quirks and are priced way above flying into DWF or IAH. Yet the flights which we took were packed to the last seat. And I am pretty sure that if BA can fill the 747 daily with those yields, they surely consider it a success. Same for LH and I would not be surprised if at some point in the next year or two they swap AUS to some larger equipment just in order to cover the market. Otherwise I see KLM as the next candidate to send an A330 over here.

As far as Asia goes, I honestly think this place should have had a flight to India already, it looks like Little Delhi at times here. But sooner or later AUS will get a non stop flight to some asian high tech city as TPE or PVG.

And those which are sceptic about AUS growth potential should really check out how much Austin has changed. Its all high tech jobs which are beeing created here, with high income people, massive amounts of expats which simply will travel intercontinentally either for business or to visit their home countries. Personally I think DL should take the opportunity and make AUS a mini hub, covering Texas. With Austin in the middle, there is quite same overlap of the catchment area with DFW and IAH. And as some of you pointed that the disadvantage of AUS is the vicinity of both Houston and Dallas, this can be also used as an advantage.

And now to the but... AUS terminal is right now not fit for more intercontinental routes. The international arrivals zone is miniscule and saying its crowded in busy times is a massive understatement. One baggage belt, very crowded immigration (although very pleasant attitude). I think they really have to first make changes to the terminal before attempting to get much more intl traffic

There actually arent all that many Indians in Austin. Nationwide, its barely in the top 20 for total Indian population compared to DFW (the 4th largest Indian community) and Houston (the 6th largest Indian community).

In terms of Asia, AUS could maybe fill a flight 3x weekly but it would have to be a city where there is high connectivity. That leaves TPE and PVG out. 3x weekly to NRT on JL or 3x weekly to ICN on KE would be better fits. There they can connect onward. The problem is that AUS doesnt have near enough traffic to one city or even one country in Asia to make it viable.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

reggiet

Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:53 am

tlecam wrote:
Interesting that so many are DL JV or partner hubs...

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
Reggie in Austin

PacoMartin

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:14 pm

marosbts wrote:
As far as Asia goes, I honestly think this place should have had a flight to India already, it looks like Little Delhi at times here.

It seems like one of the poorest ways to predict flights to a foreign airport is to look around and see what ethnicities you see. ABQ is the largest airport in a state of 2 million people with more than 1 million Latinos. Yet ABQ has no flights to Latin America despite practically every other airport in the Southwest having at least a flight to a Mexican Beach resort.

Cubsrule

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:21 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
marosbts wrote:

There actually arent all that many Indians in Austin. Nationwide, its barely in the top 20 for total Indian population compared to DFW (the 4th largest Indian community) and Houston (the 6th largest Indian community).

In terms of Asia, AUS could maybe fill a flight 3x weekly but it would have to be a city where there is high connectivity. That leaves TPE and PVG out. 3x weekly to NRT on JL or 3x weekly to ICN on KE would be better fits. There they can connect onward. The problem is that AUS doesnt have near enough traffic to one city or even one country in Asia to make it viable.

I’ve long thought that the best case for TPAC to interior US cities is a couple of them “splitting” a daily 787 to a major east Asia hub (4x AUS 3x IND or some such). But no one seems interested in that sort of operation. Being out of 767 range and the relative dearth of 787s on north Pacific routes hurt. Maybe if DL had taken those 788s NW ordered . . .
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

reggiet

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Super88 wrote:
Planes4you.....
"Why would either of those airlines fly to Austin when both cities are 3 hours away?And DFW has a better chance of getting Turkish then Austin especially considering they have plans for US expansion"

if BA and LH can serve DFW/IAH/AUS then another airline that serves DFW or IAH or Both can serve AUS as well, AUS is its own market now and getting bigger....people use to drive to DFW or HOUSTON now there is a lot more service and choices where as before it was limited. a 3 hr drive to DFW can take up to 5 hrs depending on traffic and road work. So yes Turkish could start AUS if it saw a market potential.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

As an alternative to DFW or IAH, the international carriers could definitely utilize AUS TATL or TPAC routes for another lucrative cargo stream to Europe or in a long shot Asia. Once J class is filled, the entire plane is paid for so 'full' planes aren't the total endpoint to keeping the international route running (BA's AUS success with a 744 & 773 reflects that). Then any big money international cargo is the gravy on top. It would seem that neither United or American would start those AUS international routes due to fortress hub proximity. But Delta would have a lot to gain by plugging a southwest regional hole that they lost when they closed their DFW base about 10 years ago. That along with the irony that 3 of the 7 locations the City is peddling, AMS/CDG/ICN, are Delta international hubs
collocated with JV partners. Seems quite reasonable that the overseas conversation is on their radar more than before. Will be fun to watch.
Reggie in Austin

WPvsMW

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:56 pm

Assuming J is paid J. Fairly rare on international routes. FFs use their certs and miles on those routes (no complimentary status u/gs).
Last edited by WPvsMW on Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LAXdude1023

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:56 pm

Comparisons between DFW and especially IAH with AUS are not really valid. The demand is so much smaller at AUS so saying “if it works at IAH/DFW it can work at AUS” is utterly absurd.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

LAX772LR

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:20 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
I’ve long thought that the best case for TPAC to interior US cities is a couple of them “splitting” a daily 787 to a major east Asia hub (4x AUS 3x IND or some such). But no one seems interested in that sort of operation.

And there's a reason for that: because the costs of a few days' operation isn't that much lower the the cost of a daily-or-more scaled op, even if an airline already has a narrowbody/regional presence at the mentioned airport. But the revenue... is.

WPvsMW wrote:
Assuming J is paid J. Fairly rare on international routes.

For individuals, yes.

Corporate usually is... but not at the rates seen advertised on a public booking engine.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Cubsrule

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:48 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
I’ve long thought that the best case for TPAC to interior US cities is a couple of them “splitting” a daily 787 to a major east Asia hub (4x AUS 3x IND or some such). But no one seems interested in that sort of operation.

And there's a reason for that: because the costs of a few days' operation isn't that much lower the the cost of a daily-or-more scaled op, even if an airline already has a narrowbody/regional presence at the mentioned airport. But the revenue... is.

That’s certainly the conventional wisdom, but I’m not sure it’s true. Certainly, BA didn’t see poor revenue results when it started various secondary US cities sub-daily. Rather, places like AUS and BNA saw pretty quick upgauging and frequency increases.

LAX772LR

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:07 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

That’s certainly the conventional wisdom, but I’m not sure it’s true. Certainly, BA didn’t see poor revenue results when it started various secondary US cities sub-daily. Rather, places like AUS and BNA saw pretty quick upgauging and frequency increases.

Of course the glaring flaw there is comparing LON, to essentially any other intercon destination ex USA... much less any to Asia.

That's like saying "if Orlando can fill a subweekly standalone leisure route, why can't Branson?"

Cubsrule

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:42 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Of course the glaring flaw there is comparing LON, to essentially any other intercon destination ex USA... much less any to Asia.

That's like saying "if Orlando can fill a subweekly standalone leisure route, why can't Branson?"

Absolute numbers are obviously better to London, but why would we expect the (alleged) relative revenue hit caused by sub-daily operations to differ?

LAX772LR

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Absolute numbers are obviously better to London, but why would we expect the (alleged) relative revenue hit caused by sub-daily operations to differ?

The first clause in your question answers the second.

Yield (i.e. similar fares but much shorter distance) + growth potential, are far greater for LON than they would be for any such Asian service, substantially increasing the risk of the latter.

reggiet

Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:20 am

atx11 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
atx11 wrote:
They are developing a light rail network actually. One main line is done from certain northern suburbs to downtown, and another line is being built from downtown to the airport. Change takes time. We can’t just snap our fingers and create an incredible amount of mass transit infrastructure instantly. Northern cities like Chicago and NY have had their mass transit system for decades, give it some time.

The problem is that Austin is still in Texas, and those true backward Texans from East Texas or Panhandle don't care that the backyard where they "work" (b/c Texas legislature session is so short anyway) are all congested.

The talk of building a Light Rail Line to AUS (the airport) or out east to Manor had been around for decade, yet nothing has been built. Hack, even ultra car-centric Houston has a better light rail system than eternally congested ATX.

spinotter wrote:
I've heard plenty about Austin lately, some of it good and some not so good. Like how the highways are choked even though there is a tollway alternative to I-35. Like how come it doesn't have a light rail network if it is such a wonderful place? Such a canker on the ecosystem, huge and booming and not giving a thought to public transit or CO2 reduction, is in my opinion an even more vulgar stereotype of Silicon Valley. If the human race is indeed engaged in self-suicide, AUS is doing it up with a vengeance. Hooray nonstop AUS-PVG!

TX-130 is useless for people living IN Austin for the most part anyway, and despite its 85mph speed limit, trunk drivers (Which it's intended for) are just not going to pay the toll.

Maybe they should have listened to Rick Perry (Man...that seems like an eternity ago now) and demolish half of East Austin to built TTC :duck:

P.S. We need to get back on topic instead of talking about how crappy Austin traffic is, b/c that had been a fact for 20 years and going now.

To a certain extent. The real opposition to transforming I35 and elsewhere has been local.

If you go up north to Dallas or east to Houston, the infrastructure (freeways/tollways/rail/etc) is night and day from Austin because local leaders have fought for it and partnered with private companies to make it happen. Austin wants to have a green solution but they’re sacrificing any hope of traffic relief anytime soon.

:checkmark: :checkmark:
Reggie in Austin

JDawgboy512

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 am

spinotter wrote:
atx11 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

I used to live in Los Angeles 13 years ago when I signed up for this site. Texas has been my home state since 2010.

People love to crap on Texas but I find almost no one knows anything about it. In my line of work I encounter people from all over. I met a girl from NYC that was scared to come to Houston for training because shes black. Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the world and top 5 for diversity in the US. I told her this and she was skeptical. But when she came, she loved it and wants to come back.

This is easily the most stereotyped state in the country. It makes people here angry for that reason.

Agree w/ this 100%. In my experience, the people w/ the strongest opinions have either never visited a place, or been to a place once 20 years ago and will judge a place the way they saw it until the day they die. Both terrible ways to go about life and also (in my case) a terrible way to do business in this day and age. But to each their own...

ETA: the even funnier thing is you can read the NYT or WSJ (depending on your preference) and see they’re calling Austin one of new “elite cities” due to tech and exponential wealth growth. That said, if certain groups want to keep their heads in the sand, more opportunities for the rest of us :)

I've heard plenty about Austin lately, some of it good and some not so good. Like how the highways are choked even though there is a tollway alternative to I-35. Like how come it doesn't have a light rail network if it is such a wonderful place? Such a canker on the ecosystem, huge and booming and not giving a thought to public transit or CO2 reduction, is in my opinion an even more vulgar stereotype of Silicon Valley. If the human race is indeed engaged in self-suicide, AUS is doing it up with a vengeance. Hooray nonstop AUS-PVG!

You don't know a whole lot then. For example Austin has one of the nation's most expansive urban forests. It's spent the last 20 years densifying downtown and the urban core to where people who live in the core can live work and play without the need to even get into a vehicle. Granted it's costly and that is one of the challenges that the city is facing but it's a step in reducing the reliance on cars. We may not have light rail yet (we do have a Metrorail line) but we will be voting in 2020 for light rail. We get most of our power from renewable energy. Austin is doing quite a lot when it comes the environment.

JDawgboy512

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:35 am

atcsundevil wrote:
The personal attacks in this thread need to stop. Discuss the topic respectfully, or move on.

✈️ atcsundevil

Thank you. This topic seems to be a lot of Austin bashing from people who don't know what they are talking about.

Actually it does show one thing. It shows that Austin is getting a lot of attention or there wouldn't be 5 pages. Basically why bother to post if Austin doesn't interest you regardless if you post negatively. Why waste the time? I find it quite laughable.

JDawgboy512

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:55 am

Just so people can see what Austin looks like considering they don't know anything about it, this is the view a couple of blocks from my house.

Now we can get back to substance discussion regarding the topic.

Do I think Austin will get all those routes? Like other enlightened posters on here, not likely. Again it's a wish list, backed by the way with data that indicates that we could possibly support those options if not now, then sometime in the future. It's not like they pull these cities randomly out of a hat after all, there is a reason why these specific cities are listed. Having said that we probably won't see all of them come to fruition. Some I'm sure we will but not all.

AIRT0M

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:44 am

TWA902fly wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:
Yeah I think Podonktown, USA is eyeing big international routes as well...

You are aware the Austin metro area's GDP is roughly the same as Brussels, right? With almost an identical population size.

'902

Brussels is the capital of Belgium, the political capital of the EU, NATO, a popular tourist destination. Austin is ... Austin.

Sometimes GDP figures don't mean squat.

marosbts

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:40 pm

marosbts wrote:
Otherwise I see KLM as the next candidate to send an A330 over here.

LOL. this came confirmed so much faster than I thought :-D And great to have more options travelling back to Europe in 2020

airbuster

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:41 pm

airbuster wrote:
I bet KLM would love to send their 332 to AUS within the JV. AMS is slot restricted though. Maybe a AF 332 in that case. 3x week...

Voilà! I’m very happy with this addition. Great stuff!
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!

airbazar

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:28 pm

Next up should be ICN or CDG.

malev2012

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:47 pm

airbazar wrote:

I feel ICN is at least 5 years away, unless DL adds connections from other cities to help build the feed, AUS and SAT catchment areas, just don't have enough feed yet.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

Skyblue39

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:55 pm

malev2012 wrote:
Given the amount of lift to Europe from AUS between Daily 747/777 to LHR on BA, 5x weekly on A333 to FRA on LH, and seasonal 4x weekly service to LGW on 788 on DI it seems that Austin is still a few years away from absorbing another TATL flight.

A few years away?! Perhaps you meant “weeks”...

gokmengs

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:02 pm

airbuster wrote:
I bet KLM would love to send their 332 to AUS within the JV. AMS is slot restricted though. Maybe a AF 332 in that case. 3x week...

You should have wished for a million bucks:) well done
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

steeler83

Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:57 pm

I would think CDG might be next. Or maybe they might look into connecting other points domestically before giving that a whirl or some other int'l destination. Kudos on AMS, tho. :)
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

airbuster

Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:08 pm

gokmengs wrote:
airbuster wrote:

You should have wished for a million bucks:) well done

Well I actually fly KL A330’s so though I didn’t hear this rumor on the floor it made good sense to me. Thrilled to be going to AUS and visit Texax.
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!

airbazar

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:28 pm

malev2012 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

I feel ICN is at least 5 years away, unless DL adds connections from other cities to help build the feed, AUS and SAT catchment areas, just don't have enough feed yet.

I think it's closer than that now that DL and KE have good relations and a JV. Just like we saw VS re-focus its operations around DL in the U.S. wiht expanded service I think we will see the same from KE. It already started with KE adding service to BOS this year. I don't think AUS is too far behind. Of all the DL hubs SLC is now the only one without service to ICN, and then come the Focus Cities of which AUS should be at the top.