sargester
Topic Author

American Airlines Adds 7 New Summertime Routes to Montana and Alaska

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:13 pm

DFW-FAI on an A321... A long one but better to see something than nothing, ORD-Alaska is also interesting...

DFW/ORD-FAI,
ORD-ANC,
LGA/LAX/PHL-BZN,
LGA-FCA

Thoughts lads? J

https://thepointsguy.com/news/american- ... nd-alaska/

sw733

Re: American Airlines Adds 7 New Summertime Routes to Montana and Alaska

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:25 pm

ORD-ANC doesn't surprise me. ORD-FAI a little more so.

Definitely looks like AA is keen to take on more of the national parks traffic!

Ishrion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:31 pm

Jeez, is DFW-FAI on a neo or a regular A321?

DFW-FAI is slightly longer than PHX-HNL.

Rather surprised to see DFW-FAI over PHX...

Very nice to see these adds overall. Looks like Kalispell did very well with three new non-stops by AA earlier this year.

Makes me wonder if DFW-ANC be on a 788 again next summer? It was usually very full nearly every day, but AA will need the aircraft for Europe 2020 and the AA/QF JV.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:38 pm

Demand has never been stronger into most of these markets for peak summer travel for Alaska, Alaskan cruises, and national parks.
These type of routes command a yield premium.

Should note that
LGA-BZN
PHL-BZN
LGA-FCA

Are Saturday-only, which makes sense and good use of aircraft on the weekend, and when they can fly beyond perimeter flights.

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:19 pm

They may as well find something to do with aircraft on Saturdays. If prospective customers know about it I suspect that TRASM on LGA-BZN/FCA will be very good. I'm not so confident about PHL-BZN - it doesn't have the O&D market and there are plenty of 1-stops already from most airports for which xxx-PHL-BZN makes sense.

USAirALB

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:42 pm

IIRC AA did ORD-ANC at some point or another.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

dfdubflyer

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:46 pm

I feel like it was not long ago they started Billings, Bozeman, and Kalispell from LAX and DFW... good for them!

Ishrion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:53 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
I feel like it was not long ago they started Billings, Bozeman, and Kalispell from LAX and DFW... good for them!

Kalispell started three months ago.

usairways85

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:55 pm

PHL-BZN during Q2 and 3 has recently trended at around 18-30 PDEW. So yes, not very high. Over the past 4 years AA has never been the high fare carrier.

BigGSFO

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:06 pm

Fairbanks makes sense. Huge uptick in traffic during the summer. Good for AA. Presumably some AS code share available, not that there would be a lot of people connecting to Nome and Deadhouse

theAviationGeek

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:10 pm

USAirALB wrote:

Between 2002-2005, AA operated up to 3 flights a day to Anchorage. I believe AA kept the DFW-STL route alive until the end of the 2003 season. When the STL-ANC route was nixed, the additional flight shifted to ORD, leaving 2x ORD-ANC, and 1x DFW-ANC daily. By 2005, the 2nd ORD flight was cut, leaving daily service to DFW and ORD. I'm not certain at what point the ORD flight was cut all together.

All flights were operated with the 757-200. On very rare occasion, a 767-300 would be subbed into ANC in the event of an air interrupt or other mechanical issue.

Ryan

SurfandSnow

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm

Wow! FAI sure has come a long way from the days of only being accessible via ANC, MSP and SEA.

Success in Montana doesn't come as much of a surprise to me. AA has been rather strong in a number of mountain markets throughout the West (EGE, JAC, MTJ, RNO, etc.) for years.
Last edited by SurfandSnow on Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

diverdave

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:32 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
Wow! FAI sure has come a long way from the days of only being accessible via ANC, MSP and SEA..

Delta ran SLC-FAI as a seasonal flight for years.

Chugach

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:39 pm

diverdave wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:
Wow! FAI sure has come a long way from the days of only being accessible via ANC, MSP and SEA..

Delta ran SLC-FAI as a seasonal flight for years.

More like a couple years. DL served FAI only as a tag-on from ANC up until about 2002, then exited completely after the 9/11 downturn. They came back several years later with SLC-FAI for about 8 weeks in the summer, but never seriously re-entered FAI until the NW merger when they took over MSP-FAI. Now they’re back year-round. What’s old is new again.

Chugach

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:47 pm

sargester wrote:
DFW-FAI on an A321... A long one but better to see something than nothing, ORD-Alaska is also interesting...

DFW/ORD-FAI,
ORD-ANC,
LGA/LAX/PHL-BZN,
LGA-FCA

Thoughts lads? J

Love the new capacity in to ANC and FAI. Seems like AA is starting to copy UA’s strategy in Alaska a little bit.

DFW-FAI is only 13 miles longer than DFW-ANC, should be doable with a NEO.

All that said, between UA and AA this is a ton of new capacity in to FAI, which doesn’t have nearly the same traffic draw as ANC. Between this year and next year we now have DFW-FAI (AA), ORD-FAI (UA and AA), DEN-FAI (UA) and SFO-FAI (UA). All of this is on top of MSP-FAI on DL, which has been around forever. I hope all the new service sticks but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some adjustments eventually.

As a Nanook and former Fairbanksan, I love it. I remember, not always fondly, when AS was the only game in town for 9 months out of every year and you paid dearly for the privilege. DL starting SEA-FAI and keeping it year-round was huge for the market.

jayunited

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:50 pm

sw733 wrote:

UA already flies ORD-FAI has been for a few years and the truth is the flight is just as popular as our 2x daily (seasonal) ORD-ANC flights especially during the height of the summer travel season. From late May till the first or second week in August these flight are popular with cruisers (Alaska cruise season is booming and shows no signs of slowing down) and people looking to experience the midnight sun. I think there is more than enough room for AA on the ORD-FAI route. And without question there is room for AA on ORD-ANC.

From ORD UA utilized 738s on both these routes.
Out of ORD will AA use 738s or A321s on both their ANC and FAI route?

Chugach

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:00 pm

jayunited wrote:
sw733 wrote:

UA already flies ORD-FAI has been for a few years and the truth is the flight is just as popular as our 2x daily (seasonal) ORD-ANC flights especially during the height of the summer travel season. From late May till the first or second week in August these flight are popular with cruisers (Alaska cruise season is booming and shows no signs of slowing down) and people looking to experience the midnight sun. I think there is more than enough room for AA on the ORD-FAI route. And without question there is room for AA on ORD-ANC.

Looks like 738’s for ORD-FAI/ANC on AA. I’m assuming DFW-FAI will be on the neo.

maps4ltd

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:06 pm

LGA-BZN and LGA-FCA are additions to LGA-JAC as a Saturday-only outside-perimeter flight. I find AA's NE strategy from NY and Boston interesting; in recent months you've seen capacity on short-haul domestic downgauged with the addition of markets like JFK-SFO, BOS-GCM, LGA-BDA, LGA-MTJ, LGA-EYW, and BOS-NAS. Along with MVY and ACK adds in 2017 and 2018, It seems that AA's strategy here is to become to become the Northeast's leisure carrier--for those that can pay for it. And something tells me that, if anyone can pay for xxx-JAC or xxx-BZN, it is well-off New Yorkers.
Last edited by maps4ltd on Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

maps4ltd

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:09 pm

DFW-ANC on the 788 should be a much more comfortable ride than DFW-FAI on the 32Q.

AA is playing catch-up in the Alaska market. It lags United and Delta, and the FAI additions are a good step. The Alaska Air codeshare may also help.

maps4ltd

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:10 pm

Also nice to see BZN getting some love.

maps4ltd

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:13 pm

theAviationGeek wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Between 2002-2005, AA operated up to 3 flights a day to Anchorage. I believe AA kept the DFW-STL route alive until the end of the 2003 season. When the STL-ANC route was nixed, the additional flight shifted to ORD, leaving 2x ORD-ANC, and 1x DFW-ANC daily. By 2005, the 2nd ORD flight was cut, leaving daily service to DFW and ORD. I'm not certain at what point the ORD flight was cut all together.

I have a creeping hunch that the DFW-STL route may still be alive today.
:D

luckyone

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:21 pm

USAirALB wrote:

They were definitely still flying it in the summer of 2010. A friend of mine flew the route.
jayunited wrote:
sw733 wrote:

Fairbanks is also closer to Denali National Park than ANC (2 hours vs. 4+ hours). So for those who want to spend time at Denali, other points in interior Alaska, or points father north (eg Utqiagvik), it could be more convenient to fly out of Fairbanks than traveling back down to Anchorage.

maps4ltd

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:38 pm

luckyone wrote:
So for those who want to spend time at Denali, other points in interior Alaska, or points father north (eg Utqiagvik), it could be more convenient to fly out of Fairbanks than traveling back down to Anchorage.

If I were flying ORD to Utqiagvik, I'd probably go ORD-ANC-BRW on Alaska.

Ionosphere

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:55 pm

FAI is where all the land & sea Alaskan cruises begin or end. UA has flown ORD-FAI for about 5 years now.

sw733

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:15 pm

jayunited wrote:
sw733 wrote:

Admittedly I know nothing about the ORD-FAI demand, but to me it was just a bit surprising that two carriers were going to take it on. I'm glad to see it, I just didn't know the demand as there. Good to see.

Chugach

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:27 pm

sw733 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
sw733 wrote:

Admittedly I know nothing about the ORD-FAI demand, but to me it was just a bit surprising that two carriers were going to take it on. I'm glad to see it, I just didn't know the demand as there. Good to see.

It’s not ORD-FAI demand they’re after, it’s routing connections through each airlines’ hub at ORD.

Several years ago I took an October ANC-ORD flight on UA. On a completely full flight, exactly 10 bags came off the plane at ORD baggage claim. UA/AA are running mostly connecting traffic through their hubs on Alaska flights, not local demand (everybody who lives in Alaska favors AS in a big way).

32andBelow

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:54 pm

Chugach wrote:
sw733 wrote:
jayunited wrote:

It’s not ORD-FAI demand they’re after, it’s routing connections through each airlines’ hub at ORD.

Several years ago I took an October ANC-ORD flight on UA. On a completely full flight, exactly 10 bags came off the plane at ORD baggage claim. UA/AA are running mostly connecting traffic through their hubs on Alaska flights, not local demand (everybody who lives in Alaska favors AS in a big way).

Not totally true. Me and the younger generation have little loyalty to AS. Been flying b6 and dl mostly.

theAviationGeek

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:12 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
theAviationGeek wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

I have a creeping hunch that the DFW-STL route may still be alive today.
:D

Doh! Thank you for knowing what I meant though.

Ryan

Planeboy17

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:18 pm

I can’t confirm this but I’m pretty sure that next summer, ORD will be the only lower 48 airport that will have 3 airlines flying to ANC nonstop.
I know that right now SEA has that with AS, DL and B6 but B6 is cutting ANC after this summer. So it won’t be SEA, unless someone else picks it up, it won’t be PDX, SFO or LAX unless another carrier adds it.
I can’t think of another airport that might have a shot.

Planeboy17

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:19 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
I can’t confirm this but I’m pretty sure that next summer, ORD will be the only lower 48 airport that will have 3 airlines flying to ANC nonstop.
I know that right now SEA has that with AS, DL and B6 but B6 is cutting ANC after this summer. So it won’t be SEA, unless someone else picks it up, it won’t be PDX, SFO or LAX unless another carrier adds it.
I can’t think of another airport that might have a shot.

I forgot to add in MSP which has 2, DL and SY so if AS chose MSP that could be one but that would be quite a surprise.

luckyone

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:07 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
luckyone wrote:
So for those who want to spend time at Denali, other points in interior Alaska, or points father north (eg Utqiagvik), it could be more convenient to fly out of Fairbanks than traveling back down to Anchorage.

If that were my sole destination, I would as well. But if I'm a tourist and I'm exploring the area as one of several things, Fairbanks is in the middle of several things in Alaska and could make a convenient point of departure. Ultimately, that appears to be what AA is chasing. It's also worth mentioning that AA and AS codeshare, so it's entirely possible that AS's code will be on this flight and could connect to one of their BRW flights from FAI.

Chugach

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:17 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Chugach wrote:
sw733 wrote:

Not totally true. Me and the younger generation have little loyalty to AS. Been flying b6 and dl mostly.

I think you mean DL now...

32andBelow

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:27 pm

luckyone wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
luckyone wrote:

If that were my sole destination, I would as well. But if I'm a tourist and I'm exploring the area as one of several things, Fairbanks is in the middle of several things in Alaska and could make a convenient point of departure. Ultimately, that appears to be what AA is chasing. It's also worth mentioning that AA and AS codeshare, so it's entirely possible that AS's code will be on this flight and could connect to one of their BRW flights from FAI.

ANC is by far the main connecting hub in ANC. You would rarely go to FAI to connect onto another jet. Maybe on to an air taxi

Ishrion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:31 pm

Chugach wrote:
sargester wrote:

DFW/ORD-FAI,
ORD-ANC,
LGA/LAX/PHL-BZN,
LGA-FCA

Thoughts lads? J

Love the new capacity in to ANC and FAI. Seems like AA is starting to copy UA’s strategy in Alaska a little bit.

All that said, between UA and AA this is a ton of new capacity in to FAI, which doesn’t have nearly the same traffic draw as ANC. Between this year and next year we now have DFW-FAI (AA), ORD-FAI (UA and AA), DEN-FAI (UA) and SFO-FAI (UA). All of this is on top of MSP-FAI on DL, which has been around forever. I hope all the new service sticks but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some adjustments eventually.

As a Nanook and former Fairbanksan, I love it. I remember, not always fondly, when AS was the only game in town for 9 months out of every year and you paid dearly for the privilege. DL starting SEA-FAI and keeping it year-round was huge for the market.

Is it confirmed that AA will operate DFW-FAI on the neo? The press release only says A321, but it seems off as DFW-FAI would be the world's longest regular A321 route.

alasizon

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:36 pm

luckyone wrote:
It's also worth mentioning that AA and AS codeshare, so it's entirely possible that AS's code will be on this flight and could connect to one of their BRW flights from FAI.

AS doesn't operate FAI-BRW often enough for that to matter. As I recall, its only twice weekly from May through July
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

Chugach

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:43 pm

alasizon wrote:
luckyone wrote:
It's also worth mentioning that AA and AS codeshare, so it's entirely possible that AS's code will be on this flight and could connect to one of their BRW flights from FAI.

AS doesn't operate FAI-BRW often enough for that to matter. As I recall, its only twice weekly from May through July

They operate FAI-SCC-BRW (same plane and flight) daily. This is due to the bypass mail program, which now requires mail and other cargo to be trucked to Prudhoe Bay, as it is the “closest” highway destination to BRW.

So, the flights used to go ANC-FAI-BRW. Now they go either ANC-FAI-SCC-BRW or ANC-SCC-BRW to account for the cargo needs to BRW. There might be an occasional ANC-BRW nonstop but mostly they stop in SCC now. On the way back it’s either nonstop BRW-ANC or BRW-FAI-ANC, depending on the flight.

Chugach

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:48 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Chugach wrote:
sargester wrote:

DFW/ORD-FAI,
ORD-ANC,
LGA/LAX/PHL-BZN,
LGA-FCA

Thoughts lads? J

Is it confirmed that AA will operate DFW-FAI on the neo? The press release only says A321, but it seems off as DFW-FAI would be the world's longest regular A321 route.

I don’t think a non-neo would have the chops for a flight that long (3,056 miles).

alasizon

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:55 pm

Chugach wrote:
alasizon wrote:
luckyone wrote:

They operate FAI-SCC-BRW (same plane and flight) daily. This is due to the bypass mail program, which now requires mail and other cargo to be trucked to Prudhoe Bay, as it is the “closest” highway destination to BRW.

So, the flights used to go ANC-FAI-BRW. Now they go either ANC-FAI-SCC-BRW or ANC-SCC-BRW to account for the cargo needs to BRW. There might be an occasional ANC-BRW nonstop but mostly they stop in SCC now. On the way back it’s either nonstop BRW-ANC or BRW-FAI-ANC, depending on the flight.

I thought the FAI-SCC-BRW as a through flight only operated twice weekly. For instance, tomorrow I show that you can connect in SCC, but it isn't same plane service as it has a three hour layover in SCC and connects to flight 50 which is ANC-SCC-BRW. On Saturday and Sunday, there is no FAI-SCC or FAI-BRW service. The FAI-SCC does operate M-F though for pax to connect to and BRW-FAI operates every day but only in that direction.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

Chugach

Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 pm

alasizon wrote:
Chugach wrote:
alasizon wrote:

I thought the FAI-SCC-BRW as a through flight only operated twice weekly. For instance, tomorrow I show that you can connect in SCC, but it isn't same plane service as it has a three hour layover in SCC and connects to flight 50 which is ANC-SCC-BRW. On Saturday and Sunday, there is no FAI-SCC or FAI-BRW service. The FAI-SCC does operate M-F though for pax to connect to and BRW-FAI operates every day but only in that direction.

I stand corrected...I thought it was the same flight number FAI-SCC-BRW.

sargester
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:06 am

Ishrion wrote:
Chugach wrote:
sargester wrote:

DFW/ORD-FAI,
ORD-ANC,
LGA/LAX/PHL-BZN,
LGA-FCA

Thoughts lads? J

most likely a NEO, the regular 321 cant fly that far

ctrabs0114

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:43 am

sargester wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Chugach wrote:

most likely a NEO, the regular 321 cant fly that far

I would've thought a 757, since that's what AA uses on DFW-ANC when they're not using the 787.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

jfklganyc

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:56 am

They should give JFK BZN a whirl a few days a week for July and Aug

I also felt this was a B6 route that made more sense than LGB BZN

GettingHigh38k

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:37 am

Great to see PHL get BZN service. Offers connections in Philly. I am also surprised that it will be on the B737-800, but that is ok.

Chugach

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:32 pm

Lost in the shuffle here is it appears AA’s summer PHX-ANC flight isn’t coming back next year. Might explain where the 321 to serve DFW-FAI is coming from.

I wonder if AS will look at making PHX-ANC year round now (they currently fly it as a winter seasonal).

lavalampluva

Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:20 pm

PHL-BZN is a bit of a surprised. I figured ORD would be able to cover that pretty well.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

chepos

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:54 pm

Chugach wrote:
Lost in the shuffle here is it appears AA’s summer PHX-ANC flight isn’t coming back next year. Might explain where the 321 to serve DFW-FAI is coming from.

I wonder if AS will look at making PHX-ANC year round now (they currently fly it as a winter seasonal).

Has the summer 2020 flight schedule been finalized?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Super88

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:34 pm

I think DFW to FAI will be on the 737-800 and the NEO out of ORD....wonder how much this will eat into AS service to Montana and Alaska as you have to change in SEA or PDX.

Ishrion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:40 pm

Super88 wrote:
I think DFW to FAI will be on the 737-800 and the NEO out of ORD....wonder how much this will eat into AS service to Montana and Alaska as you have to change in SEA or PDX.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx

DFW-FAI is on an "A321".

ORD-FAI is on a 738.

Super88

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:46 pm

the travel website I read had it reversed, will be much better than the 737-800 out of DFW

jmc1975

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:52 am

Why no PHX-BZN or PHX-FCA?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos