chiad
Topic Author
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Updated: Air Asia ordering 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr instead of previously announced but not confirmed 34 A330neo's

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:51 pm

Reuters report: AirAsia will announce on Friday an adjustment to its large Airbus order plans, confirming at least part of its order for A330neos while making room for the A321XLR.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airb ... SKCN1VJ1BC
Last edited by SQ22 on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Title updated
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5880
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:15 pm

Follow Reuters' choice of words. Adjustment. Restructuring. 'AirAsia X has 66 A330s on firm order with Airbus, according to the manufacturer’s order book, with none of them delivered yet.'

That'll be fewer A330neos to 'make room for' 321XLRs.
 
chiad
Topic Author
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:21 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Follow Reuters' choice of words. Adjustment. Restructuring. 'AirAsia X has 66 A330s on firm order with Airbus, according to the manufacturer’s order book, with none of them delivered yet.'

That'll be fewer A330neos to 'make room for' 321XLRs.


Quote: " .. confirming at least part of its order for A330neos while making room for the A321XLR"

Quote: "AirAsia’s long-haul arm AirAsia X Bhd (AIRX.KL) last year placed an order for 34 A330neos but it was never finalised in the Airbus order book."

That sounds like firming up IMO, but I could be wrong.
 
fcogafa
Posts: 1180
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:37 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:28 pm

They have already 'confirmed' the original order twice so surely they cant confirm it again?
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:46 pm

Airasia X's A330 Neo order is an amazing saga. When the A330 Neo was launched in 2014, they placed an order for 50 aircraft. This was adjusted to include the balance of their yet to be delivered A333 order as they wanted to defer deliveries due to the tough business environment at that time.

Airasia X has just reported very poor results for Q2 2019 and I am sure they are trying to kick the order further down the road by using the A321 XLR as an excuse... However this time, I think that having a subfleet of A321 Neo XLRs will male a lot of sense for them as this aircraft is able to fly all their current Asian routes. It will give them tremendous flexibility and offer extra frequencies without increasing capacity too much. I think that they will take the A339s at a slower rate than 5 p.a. and slot in some A321 Neo XLRs instead.

Lets wait and see...
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 3801
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:09 pm

I expect a reduction of the numbers of „firm“ A330neo‘s.

[grumbling]When it comes to Air Asia and Emirates, I prefer my own personal definition of „firm“. It’s when the MLG looses contact with the runway during delivery flight... [/grumbling]

Edit: I have to correct myself- that’s too euphoric. It’s when MLG touches down at the end of the delivery flight.. ;-)
Last edited by N14AZ on Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 1407
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:12 pm

N14AZ wrote:
I expect a reduction of the numbers of „firm“ A330neo‘s.

[grumbling]When it comes to Air Asia and Emirates, I prefer my own personal definition of „firm“. It’s when the MLG looses contact with the runway during delivery flight... [/grumbling]


It is not clear in the article if they are referring to the total oder (firmed 66 plus unfirmed 34) or only to the still to be firmed order of 34 frames. I think we have to wait for more details, but I am not surprised at all.
 
T4thH
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:29 pm

N14AZ wrote:
I expect a reduction of the numbers of „firm“ A330neo‘s.

[grumbling]When it comes to Air Asia and Emirates, I prefer my own personal definition of „firm“. It’s when the MLG looses contact with the runway during delivery flight... [/grumbling]

Edit: I have to correct myself- that’s too euphoric. It’s when MLG touches down at the end of the delivery flight.. ;-)

And now, we have only to discuss: With livery or as white bird...and where the delivery flight will end...at a big parking place in the Mohave desert for storage?
 
behramjee
Posts: 4967
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:56 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:53 pm

My personal opinion is as follows:

1. Currently they have 24 A333s which I believe will be replaced by A330-900Neos.

2. To cater for future long term growth, I can only foresee the A330 fleet growing to 30 aircraft maximum so 30 A330-900Neos.

3. This means a balance of 70 A330-900Neos to be accounted for which I bet shall be exchanged for 125-140 A321neos (mix of normal Neos + XLRs).

Many people here are saying that the A321XLR should be used on 8-9 hour flights which in theory sounds good but in reality the longer you fly a narrow body aircraft offering LCC fare levels, the higher your chances of making net losses + your break even seat factor % is higher too.

The A321XLR is an ideal airplane for high yield airlines across the Atlantic in particular who want to fly on secondary routes where demand is low / medium level but yields quite high especially with J class demand. The A321XLR is not an ideal aircraft for a LCC to use on 8 hour missions because of its high breakeven requirement.
 
hitchy81
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:03 pm

The A220 visited AirAsia in Kuala Lumpur a few weeks ago. Wonder if that’s related?
 
x1234
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:23 pm

The A321XLR allows Air Asia to serve all of Australia/Asia and as far west as Istanbul in Europe. I truly hope Air Asia serves Europe again with A330neos.
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:26 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Follow Reuters' choice of words. Adjustment. Restructuring. 'AirAsia X has 66 A330s on firm order with Airbus, according to the manufacturer’s order book, with none of them delivered yet.'

That'll be fewer A330neos to 'make room for' 321XLRs.


I'm pretty sure one has been delivered to Thai AirAsia X?
 
chonetsao
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:28 pm

Clearly in long haul travel, people put comfort above lowest prices. At the similar price range, airlines that offers more comfort wins.Regardless how low the CASM Air Asia X can achieve by putting in as many seats as possible, it could not achieve the PRASM desired to make a slimmest profit. So more seats does not mean the path to profitability. (Are you listening Doug Parker and Alex Cruz???)
 
User avatar
Kindanew
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 11:07 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:35 pm

Do air Asia still have a ghost A350 order on the books?
 
chiad
Topic Author
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:04 pm

Kindanew wrote:
Do air Asia still have a ghost A350 order on the books?


The A350 was cancelled in April last year.
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... -fernandes
 
User avatar
Momo1435
Posts: 943
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:53 pm

chiad wrote:
Kindanew wrote:
Do air Asia still have a ghost A350 order on the books?


The A350 was cancelled in April last year.
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... -fernandes

The answer is yes as the order is still on the Airbus order book as of July 2019, but as that article shows it's indeed a ghost order right now.

So it will probably be fully cancelled in this upcoming order rearrangement.
 
behramjee
Posts: 4967
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:56 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:29 pm

The A321XLR allows Air Asia to serve all of Australia/Asia and as far west as Istanbul in Europe. I truly hope Air Asia serves Europe again with A330neos.


100% Incorrect information as IST-KUL on TK's A333 shows a block time of 10:45 which means for an A321XLR it will be at least 11 hours 15 minutes.

As far as BNE-KUL goes, also the A321XLR wont be able to operate that route with a full payload as its 9 hours block time. Remember these are 220 seater A321XLRs with 20-23kg baggage per passenger and not a high premium configured aircraft with 150-160 seats only !

The furthest these A321XLRs from KUL can fly to is Tokyo eastbound and Bahrain westbound with a full payload of 220 passengers on board + baggage of 20kg per pax.

The A220 visited AirAsia in Kuala Lumpur a few weeks ago. Wonder if that’s related?


Personally speaking, purely from costs standpoint, replacing all of Air Asia's A320s with A223s is very much viable from a long term point of view however just like a vast majority of well structured LCC's, they prefer to have one aircraft type only which in this case is the A320 family.

But yes a large fleet of 155 seater A223s supported by 220 seater A321Neos is very good indeed for the mainline Air Asia carrier. I would love for a very large A223 order to be announced but the odds are against it despite the impressive economics of the aircraft. Lets see...fingers crossed for the A223 with an outside chance : )
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:41 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
I'm pretty sure one has been delivered to Thai AirAsia X?

I know that this may sound confusing - Thai Airasia X leased two A339s that were WoW ntu's directly from the lessor. They did not come off the Airasia X order book. I believe Airasia X is waiting for the 251t variant before their A339 deliveries commence.

Momo1435 wrote:
chiad wrote:
Kindanew wrote:
Do air Asia still have a ghost A350 order on the books?


The A350 was cancelled in April last year.
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... -fernandes

The answer is yes as the order is still on the Airbus order book as of July 2019, but as that article shows it's indeed a ghost order right now.

So it will probably be fully cancelled in this upcoming order rearrangement.

I believe the A350 order cancellation is somewhat tied to the additional 34 A330 Neos that were ordered but not firmed up.

Airasia X's business model has evolved somewhat and I think that in future, they will operate shorter sectors - they already fly KUL-DPS and have decided to fly TPE- OKA (5th freedom route) and KUL-SIN soon. They may also be doing some KUL-HKG flights.

Any order for A321 Neos will probably be to increase flexibility on existing routes due to seasonal demand.
 
EBT
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:04 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:54 am

behramjee wrote:
Many people here are saying that the A321XLR should be used on 8-9 hour flights which in theory sounds good but in reality the longer you fly a narrow body aircraft offering LCC fare levels, the higher your chances of making net losses + your break even seat factor % is higher too.

The A321XLR is an ideal airplane for high yield airlines across the Atlantic in particular who want to fly on secondary routes where demand is low / medium level but yields quite high especially with J class demand. The A321XLR is not an ideal aircraft for a LCC to use on 8 hour missions because of its high breakeven requirement.


It's all relative to the individual airline's situation, though. For AirAsia X, they probably see a range of markets where the XLR would allow them to better match capacity to demand and push yields up, while also getting the CASK advantage of the newer tech engines compared to their A330-300s. The widebodies could then be deployed on longer routes where their economics work better, and that would only improve when they roll the fleet over to -900s.

That is one of the reasons why Jetstar has been keen on the LR/XLR as for them it will free up their 787-8s on most of the Asian network to concentrate on longer routes, or more likely for some of them to go to Qantas where they will likely be able to get better returns. The narrowbodies also have the flexibility and capacity to work on the Australia/NZ network during the day and do the Asian runs overnight, so for a carrier like Jetstar they become a real flexible platform.
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:42 am

flee wrote:
MrHMSH wrote:
I'm pretty sure one has been delivered to Thai AirAsia X?

I know that this may sound confusing - Thai Airasia X leased two A339s that were WoW ntu's directly from the lessor. They did not come off the Airasia X order book. I believe Airasia X is waiting for the 251t variant before their A339 deliveries commence.



Not all that confusing, I just didn't realise any ex-WW birds had been taken, but that clears it up. Technically speaking this gives the AirAsia group 68 firm orders at present?
 
RJMAZ
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:54 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:52 am

behramjee wrote:
My personal opinion is as follows:

1. Currently they have 24 A333s which I believe will be replaced by A330-900Neos.

2. To cater for future long term growth, I can only foresee the A330 fleet growing to 30 aircraft maximum so 30 A330-900Neos.

3. This means a balance of 70 A330-900Neos to be accounted for which I bet shall be exchanged for 125-140 A321neos (mix of normal Neos + XLRs).

That is nearly a third of the A330NEO's orders/commitments gone. It doesn't seem far fetched. This would also explain last weeks rumour about a further rate cut.

https://leehamnews.com/2019/08/26/airbu ... r-a330neo/

When it comes to determining production rate a manufacturer will assume some of the unfirm orders or commitments will eventually turn into a firm order. If a huge portion of the commitments disappear then the production rate must be cut.
 
juliuswong
Moderator
Posts: 1787
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:08 am

MrHMSH wrote:
flee wrote:
MrHMSH wrote:
I'm pretty sure one has been delivered to Thai AirAsia X?

I know that this may sound confusing - Thai Airasia X leased two A339s that were WoW ntu's directly from the lessor. They did not come off the Airasia X order book. I believe Airasia X is waiting for the 251t variant before their A339 deliveries commence.



Not all that confusing, I just didn't realise any ex-WW birds had been taken, but that clears it up. Technically speaking this gives the AirAsia group 68 firm orders at present?

Not really, better way to describe the order:
> Firm Order signed with Airbus- 66 (none delivered to date)
> LoI signed with Airbus- 34
> Additional Lease signed with Avolon- 2 (both will be operated by Thai AirAsia X, Wow Air ntu. One delivered on 10 Aug 2019, another will be delivered early Sept)
- Life is a journey, travel it well -
 
Asiaflyer
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:50 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:32 am

The new order will be for 12 A330neo and 30 A321XLR
SQ,MI,MH,CX,KA,CA,CZ,MU,KE,OZ,QF,NZ,FD,JQ,3K,5J,IT,AI,IC,QR,SK,LF,KL,AF,LH,LX,OS,SR,BA,SN,FR,WF,1I,5T,VZ,VX,AC,NW,UA,US,
 
Someone83
Posts: 4400
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:37 am

Asiaflyer wrote:
The new order will be for 12 A330neo and 30 A321XLR


I.e. 66 + 12 A330neo (plus the 2 leased) and 30 A321XLR?
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 1407
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:37 am

Asiaflyer wrote:
The new order will be for 12 A330neo and 30 A321XLR


Is it a rumour or do you have a source? Does this mean we were talking about the not firmed order of 34 frames being changed?
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 1407
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:57 am

Reading this article my understanding is now we are talking about the unconfirmed order of 34 frames.

https://airlinerwatch.com/airasia-to-co ... e-a321xlr/

From the article:

AirAsia X, the long-haul subsidiary of the AirAsia Group, signed a letter of intent for 34 A330-900 last year, but it hasn't been finalized so far.

Today, the Malaysian carrier is expected to announce order confirmation for the A330-900s with a little arrangement. The Asian Group will reportedly convert some of the A330-900s to the A321XLR that was officially launched during the Paris Air Show this year.
 
Asiaflyer
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:50 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:01 am

SQ22 wrote:
Asiaflyer wrote:
The new order will be for 12 A330neo and 30 A321XLR


Is it a rumour or do you have a source? Does this mean we were talking about the not firmed order of 34 frames being changed?

Its out on Reuters now:

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 30 (Reuters) - Malaysia's flagship budget airline AirAsia Group Bhd AIRA.KL on Friday cut its plans for Airbus SE AIR.PA A330neo orders by nearly two-thirds to 12, as it firmed up an order, but said it would also order 30 of the new long-range A321XLR narrowbodies.

The airline's long-haul arm AirAsia X Bhd AIRX.KL announced 34 orders for A330neo widebodies at the Farnborough Airshow in 2018. Airbus said at the time these were firm orders but the deal was thrown into doubt as AirAsia sought to rejig its fleet requirements.
SQ,MI,MH,CX,KA,CA,CZ,MU,KE,OZ,QF,NZ,FD,JQ,3K,5J,IT,AI,IC,QR,SK,LF,KL,AF,LH,LX,OS,SR,BA,SN,FR,WF,1I,5T,VZ,VX,AC,NW,UA,US,
 
Asiaflyer
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:50 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:05 am

So to clarify, the order for 34 A330neo is replaced by 12 A330neo and 30 A321XLR.
The older 66 A330neo order stays untouched.
SQ,MI,MH,CX,KA,CA,CZ,MU,KE,OZ,QF,NZ,FD,JQ,3K,5J,IT,AI,IC,QR,SK,LF,KL,AF,LH,LX,OS,SR,BA,SN,FR,WF,1I,5T,VZ,VX,AC,NW,UA,US,
 
User avatar
MrBren
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:44 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:07 am

AirAsia X orders 12 more A330neo and 30 A321XLR aircraft

From the Airbus press release:

AirAsia X, the long haul unit of the AirAsia Group, has finalised a firm order with Airbus for an additional 12 A330-900 and 30 A321XLR aircraft. The contract was signed by Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz, Chairman, AirAsia X Berhad and Guillaume Faury, Chief Executive Officer, Airbus in Kuala Lumpur today, in the presence of Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, the Prime Minister of Malaysia.
Tan Sri Tony Fernandes, Chief Executive Officer, AirAsia Group, who was present at the signing, said: “This order reaffirms our selection of the A330neo as the most efficient choice for our future widebody fleet. In addition, the A321XLR offers the longest flying range of any single aisle aircraft and will enable us to introduce services to new destinations. Together, these aircraft are perfect partners for long haul low cost operations and will allow us to build further on our market leading position in this fast-growing sector.”


https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2019/08/airasia-x-orders-12-more-a330neo-and-30-a321xlr-aircraft.html
Last edited by MrBren on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
astuteman
Posts: 6899
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:50 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:07 am

Someone83 wrote:
Asiaflyer wrote:
The new order will be for 12 A330neo and 30 A321XLR


I.e. 66 + 12 A330neo (plus the 2 leased) and 30 A321XLR?


reading the articles that would appear to be the case.

Original order for 66 x A330NEO unchanged.
New order changed from 34 x A330NEO to 12 x A330NEO plus 30 x A321XLR

Seems sensible

Rgds
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 1407
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:07 am

Asiaflyer wrote:
Its out on Reuters now:

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 30 (Reuters) - Malaysia's flagship budget airline AirAsia Group Bhd AIRA.KL on Friday cut its plans for Airbus SE AIR.PA A330neo orders by nearly two-thirds to 12, as it firmed up an order, but said it would also order 30 of the new long-range A321XLR narrowbodies.

The airline's long-haul arm AirAsia X Bhd AIRX.KL announced 34 orders for A330neo widebodies at the Farnborough Airshow in 2018. Airbus said at the time these were firm orders but the deal was thrown into doubt as AirAsia sought to rejig its fleet requirements.


Thanks, here is the link:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airb ... VK0UB?il=0

Title has been updated accordingly.
 
moa999
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:15 am

astuteman wrote:
Original order for 66 x A330NEO unchanged.
New order changed from 34 x A330NEO to 12 x A330NEO plus 30 x A321XLR


Still 78 330neos for an airline that presently has 35 330s (24 AAX + 11 TAAX) and is seemingly struggling to find additional profitable routes seems a lot.
 
User avatar
keesje
Posts: 13183
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: Updated: Air Asia converting to 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr from previously announced 34 A330neo

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:53 am

.
.
.

No A330 NEO order has been converted into A321XLR's.

+12 Orders are added the the A330NEO backlog.
Image
Last edited by keesje on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 1407
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Updated: Air Asia converting to 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr from previously announced 34 A330neo

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 am

keesje wrote:
.
.
.

No A330 NEO order has been converted into A321XLR's.
Image


Thanks for the correction, title has been updated.
 
RalXWB
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:36 am

Re: Updated: Air Asia ordering 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr instead of previously announced but not confirmed 34 A330neo's

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:00 am

Congratulations to Air Asia and Airbus. #longlivethedead
 
chiad
Topic Author
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Re: Updated: Air Asia converting to 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr from previously announced 34 A330neo

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:07 am

SQ22 wrote:
keesje wrote:
.
.
.

No A330 NEO order has been converted into A321XLR's.
Image


Thanks for the correction, title has been updated.


Thanks SQ22.
:bigthumbsup:

A nice order before the weekend.
 
astuteman
Posts: 6899
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:50 pm

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:52 am

moa999 wrote:
astuteman wrote:
Original order for 66 x A330NEO unchanged.
New order changed from 34 x A330NEO to 12 x A330NEO plus 30 x A321XLR


Still 78 330neos for an airline that presently has 35 330s (24 AAX + 11 TAAX) and is seemingly struggling to find additional profitable routes seems a lot.


*shrug*
I have nowhere near enough knowledge to comment, to be honest.
In India we've seen Indigo go from 0 to 220 very competently.
Jet have gone belly up in the same timeframe.
I would guess that AirAsia's future will be within those two extremes somewhere.
What will be will be, as they say

But they HAVE ordered the aircraft. That's not a guess :)

Rgds
 
behramjee
Posts: 4967
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:56 am

Re: Updated: Air Asia ordering 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr instead of previously announced but not confirmed 34 A330neo's

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:05 pm

This makes their total A339neo commitment increase to 78 units :roll: and it will be interesting to see if the long haul LCC even ends up taking delivery of half these many aircraft (39) down the road. Currently, the KUL based unit operates 24 A333s.

The order for 30 A321XLRs is a good move going forward as it allows them to be flexible in terms of reducing operating costs and matching demand with seasonal trends on routes less than 8 hours of flying.
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: AirAsia to firm up A330neos + A321xlr order/conversion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:08 pm

moa999 wrote:
astuteman wrote:
Original order for 66 x A330NEO unchanged.
New order changed from 34 x A330NEO to 12 x A330NEO plus 30 x A321XLR

Still 78 330neos for an airline that presently has 35 330s (24 AAX + 11 TAAX) and is seemingly struggling to find additional profitable routes seems a lot.

Their existing A333s will be retired when the A339s enter the fleet. Delivery of the first 66 aircraft order should be quite leisurely at the rate of 5-7 per annum. Of course, this schedule is always subject to review.
 
fcogafa
Posts: 1180
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:37 pm

Re: Updated: Air Asia ordering 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr instead of previously announced but not confirmed 34 A330neo's

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:13 pm

Any mention of delivery dates, the current ones were planned to be around ~8 per year from 2019 but this was pushed back to start mid 2020, at that rate deliveries will continue to 2028
 
User avatar
ernestxwb
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:10 am

Re: Updated: Air Asia ordering 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr instead of previously announced but not confirmed 34 A330neo's

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:14 pm

So in total the AirAsia X group is expected to operate 66+12 A330-900s on top of the 2 leased ones for XJ. Which comes to 80?
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: Updated: Air Asia ordering 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr instead of previously announced but not confirmed 34 A330neo's

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:26 pm

ernestxwb wrote:
So in total the AirAsia X group is expected to operate 66+12 A330-900s on top of the 2 leased ones for XJ. Which comes to 80?

That seems about right. In the next few years, we may see AirAsia X units in Philippines, India and Japan as well. So they should have a requirement for A339s as well.
 
estorilm
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Updated: Air Asia ordering 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr instead of previously announced but not confirmed 34 A330neo's

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:42 pm

Kinda a bummer for the 330NEO program, but wow - I can't imagine they're going to get any advantageous delivery slots for the extra 321/320s are they?!

What's the backlog for the 32XNEO at this point? Did they ever ramp up the rate like they talked about a year ago or so? Time to start printing cash.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 3900
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Updated: Air Asia ordering 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr instead of previously announced but not confirmed 34 A330neo's

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:51 pm

behramjee wrote:
This makes their total A339neo commitment increase to 78 units :roll:

66 + 12 + 2 is 80 (with a single aircraft already delivered). 80 widebody orders from a single customer is quite significant, so I'm not sure why you're rolling your eyes?


behramjee wrote:
and it will be interesting to see if the long haul LCC even ends up taking delivery of half these many aircraft (39) down the road. Currently, the KUL based unit operates 24 A333s.


Air Asia has multiple operations: Malaysia, India, Indonesia, Philippines and Japan. They don't have to all be operated by Air Asia Malaysia.

ernestxwb wrote:
So in total the AirAsia X group is expected to operate 66+12 A330-900s on top of the 2 leased ones for XJ. Which comes to 80?


That's what I'd have thought.
First to fly the 787-9
 
Fiend
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: Updated: Air Asia ordering 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr instead of previously announced but not confirmed 34 A330neo's

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:06 pm

zkojq wrote:
behramjee wrote:
This makes their total A339neo commitment increase to 78 units :roll:

66 + 12 + 2 is 80 (with a single aircraft already delivered). 80 widebody orders from a single customer is quite significant, so I'm not sure why you're rolling your eyes?


behramjee wrote:
and it will be interesting to see if the long haul LCC even ends up taking delivery of half these many aircraft (39) down the road. Currently, the KUL based unit operates 24 A333s.


Air Asia has multiple operations: Malaysia, India, Indonesia, Philippines and Japan. They don't have to all be operated by Air Asia Malaysia.

ernestxwb wrote:
So in total the AirAsia X group is expected to operate 66+12 A330-900s on top of the 2 leased ones for XJ. Which comes to 80?


That's what I'd have thought.


You forgot Thai Air Asia
BAC 1-11, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, A350, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83
 
moa999
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Updated: Air Asia ordering 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr instead of previously announced but not confirmed 34 A330neo's

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:40 pm

zkojq wrote:
Air Asia has multiple operations: Malaysia, India, Indonesia, Philippines and Japan. They don't have to all be operated by Air Asia Malaysia.
.

Only Malaysia and Thailand have long-haul (or X divisions)
 
tvh
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:41 am

Re: Updated: Air Asia ordering 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr instead of previously announced but not confirmed 34 A330neo's

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:44 pm

moa999 wrote:
zkojq wrote:
Air Asia has multiple operations: Malaysia, India, Indonesia, Philippines and Japan. They don't have to all be operated by Air Asia Malaysia.
.

Only Malaysia and Thailand have long-haul (or X divisions)


Indonesia too
https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Ind ... ia%20X.htm


And things can change ?
 
 
moa999
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Updated: Air Asia ordering 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr instead of previously announced but not confirmed 34 A330neo's

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:14 pm

tvh wrote:
Indonesia too
...
And things can change ?


Things did change. IAAX is no more.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... in-453839/
 
juliuswong
Moderator
Posts: 1787
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: Updated: Air Asia ordering 12 A330neo and 30 A321xlr instead of previously announced but not confirmed 34 A330neo's

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:23 pm

AirAsia Group currently has six short haul subsidiaries and two long haul subsidiaries.
Short Haul
1. AirAsia Malaysia
2. Thai AirAsia
3. AirAsia India
4. AirAsia Japan
5. Philippines AirAsia
6. Indonesia AirAsia

Long Haul
1. AirAsia X Malaysia
2. Thai AirAsia X

PT AirAsia Indonesia Extra which used to operate long haul flight out of DPS and CGK, is now doing Hajj charter flight for other airlines. Upon completion of Hajj charter, both A330ceo would either return to parent company or retired. Previously AirAsia Group transferred five A320 to PT AirAsia Indonesia Extra to fulfill local regulator's requirement of minimum five aircraft in order to retain their AOC. This is no longer a requirement, hence those five A320 went back to Indonesia AirAsia, leaving behind two A330ceo. So technically PT AirAsia Indonesia Extra still exist to date, but as per last quarter presentation, it will be closed down by Q3, 2019.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos