Re: HURRICANE DORIAN Cancellations, Deviations, and Aftereffects Thread

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:41 am

Whistlin’ Past the Graveyard.

GF

cbphoto

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:20 am

MCOflyer wrote:
I live in central Florida and am opting to stay with my family. Whats G4 doing with their fleet??

G4 is operating their normal Sunday morning schedule out of both SFB and FLL. However all inbounds to SFB and FLL Sunday afternoon have been canceled, as well as all flights on Monday out of those two bases. Most planes will repo to CVG/PIT/IND and ride out the storm there.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

jumbojet

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:47 am

DL has waived all baggage and pet fees for this particular storm. You are also allowed to bring as many pets as you want

Also, gotta be impressed with how the US3 can add literally hundreds of extra seats at a moments notice. Other airlines with basically one or two different planes struggle to find extra lift in times like this.

FlyingElvii
Topic Author

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:15 am

Boston757 wrote:
So, it’s being insinuated that that approximately 4,000 Miami based flight Attendants for AA are calling in Sick. Oh, please. Miami based flight crews work more hours than most AA basses.

Crew calling off as a hurricane approaches is not unusual. Everybody remembers two years ago, and getting stuck on the roads by not leaving soon enough. We have been through something similar before.

bravoindia

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:37 am

Vast amounts of flight school traffic seeking parking at CSG,MCN,LZU,FTY amongst others tonight and tomorrow.

rj777

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:57 am

I'm wondering how UA, AA, and WN are going to handle all the extra traffic with the MAX out of service. Maybe bring in some bigger planes?

FlyingElvii
Topic Author

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:11 am

bravoindia wrote:
Vast amounts of flight school traffic seeking parking at CSG,MCN,LZU,FTY amongst others tonight and tomorrow.

Riddle DAB departures to Auburn posted on Flightaware now. First flight at 430am.

I imagine the Aircraft exodus from all over Florida will start in earnest tomorrow. Two years ago, the shear numbers of Netjets/ Execjet traffic was a sight to see.

tcfc424

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:48 am

Checking out the scheduled departures from DAB on flightaware was kind of interesting...almost 60 Riddle flights. Curious, somewhat related question: Who flies these aircraft out, students? CFI's? I'm just wondering if this is a free way for students to gain flight time while helping out their college. I realize in the grand scheme of flight training a couple of hours here and there may not be the panacea, but with the cost of flight training, it could save several hundred dollars?

mcogator

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:02 am

Latest track has Dorian hugging the east coast of Flrorida from Melbourne to Brunswick, GA, for a very long 24 hours. I assume we should be hearing of MLB, DAB, and JAX closing like MCO did? I think MCO might have set their closing time a little prematurely. The storm won't be reaching Florida until Tuesday night. MCO could of stayed open till at least midday Monday. Of course this is just based on the current forecast.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

Gulfstream500

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:27 pm

mcogator wrote:
Latest track has Dorian hugging the east coast of Flrorida from Melbourne to Brunswick, GA, for a very long 24 hours. I assume we should be hearing of MLB, DAB, and JAX closing like MCO did? I think MCO might have set their closing time a little prematurely. The storm won't be reaching Florida until Tuesday night. MCO could of stayed open till at least midday Monday. Of course this is just based on the current forecast.

With current tracks, Dorian is supposed to cut close to, if not make landfall near Savannah. Will they be closing soon, and will Gulfstream be evacuating their aircraft?
So... when will the Northwest DC-9s be retired?

log0008

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:38 pm

Let the exodus begin

SuseJ772

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:42 pm

log0008 wrote:
Let the exodus begin

That’s pretty cool.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

OB1504

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:06 pm

Delta added 4 MIA-ATL flights today, all with MD-90s. No extra flying from United.

AA is basically running a 100% load factor out of MIA today.

rjmf22

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:18 pm

Most United flights out of MIA looking at $800 or more, for tomorrow.
United Airlines

washingtonflyer

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:21 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
log0008 wrote:
Let the exodus begin

That’s pretty cool.

Just saw this posted by a friend from FB. Awesome track lists on flightaware with the destination airport "AUO" for Auburn-Opelika.

Very specific flight plans: ROYES VQQ TAY OTK PZD

eal

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:03 pm

rjmf22 wrote:
Most United flights out of MIA looking at $800 or more, for tomorrow.

Pretty silly given that MIA is pretty clear from the storms path.

Boston757

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:48 pm

Crew taking PO or vacation days for this event happens but not in the magnitude that was implied. Some call in SK but wait until the last minute to do so, regardless of attendance points.

KMCO

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:01 pm

MLB will cease operations at 2359 this Sunday

ltbewr

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:02 pm

It appears that northeast Florida (JAX), eastern Georgia, and the Carolinas may get the brunt of this storm, especially coastal areas, the Outer Banks getting slammed.

Gulfstream500

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:19 pm

ltbewr wrote:
It appears that northeast Florida (JAX), eastern Georgia, and the Carolinas may get the brunt of this storm, especially coastal areas, the Outer Banks getting slammed.

American and JetBlue are not happy... two hubs affected for both in this storm path (CLT and MIA for AA, MCO and FLL for B6).
So... when will the Northwest DC-9s be retired?

frmrCapCadet

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:24 pm

I had a friend in Florida on the coast who was a nurse at a local hospital. Workers were required to report to the hospital for the duration. Children, pets, and spouses were offered shelter as well, IIRC. Do airlines offer something sort of similar. If they don't they should.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

KFTG

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:26 pm

mcogator wrote:
Danny wrote:
First cancellation seems to be Air Force One flight to Poland.

Mar-a-lago needs protection. With the current track it will take a direct hit as a Cat4 storm.

What is Trump going to do to "protect" the resort? This should be good!

chepos

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:43 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

American and JetBlue are not happy... two hubs affected for both in this storm path (CLT and MIA for AA, MCO and FLL for B6).

As of the latest path both Broward and Dade county appear to be spared. But Hurricanes are very unpredictable so who knows what will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Brickell305

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:54 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

As of now, neither MIA nor FLL have been affected. Nor does it seem like they will be.

maps4ltd

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:05 pm

KFTG wrote:
mcogator wrote:
Danny wrote:

Mar-a-lago needs protection. With the current track it will take a direct hit as a Cat4 storm.

They've sent home all workers, leaving only security guards.
Delta Gold Medallion

usxguy

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:17 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
log0008 wrote:
Let the exodus begin

That’s pretty cool.

What's sad about hurricane planning and evacuations is when airlines / flight schools / private owners move their planes out of the way, only to have the storm shift and THEN head directly for where they sent their fleets! That's happened a few times.

When you live in Florida long enough, you know to ignore *every* cone, every news story, until you are solidly in the 3 day cone.
xx

usxguy

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:19 pm

KFTG wrote:
mcogator wrote:
Danny wrote:

What does Trump have to do with Mar a Largo? He's had to divest himself of control of his companies while serving as President. I doubt he's following too much other than just getting occasional updates from his corporate cronies. Or that's what we're supposed to believe, as former politicians and Presidents leave office significantly wealthier than when they entered.
xx

airtechy

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:40 pm

I wonder if MCO will actually close at 2am tomorrow. It's understandable that they were cautious, but maybe they jumped the gun a bit. Gas seems to have returned at the pumps in Orlando.

Delta is running 16 flights to ATL today. :shock:

https://news.delta.com/update-delta-add ... ns-arrival

Brickell305

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:48 pm

airtechy wrote:
I wonder if MCO will actually close at 2am tomorrow. It's understandable that they were cautious, but maybe they jumped the gun a bit. Gas seems to have returned at the pumps in Orlando.

Delta is running 16 flights to ATL today. :shock:

https://news.delta.com/update-delta-add ... ns-arrival

Isn’t it normally 16 flights?

airtechy

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:53 pm

They had two extras (9000 numbers).. at least .. on the schedule today. I thought it was 13 to ATL? Anyway, that's a lot of people moving!

Jim

solracfunk14

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:46 pm

Azul and GOL Airlines cancelled all flights from 1st to 2nd, LATAM Brasil not yet

bravoindia

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:13 pm

usxguy wrote:
KFTG wrote:
mcogator wrote:

What does Trump have to do with Mar a Largo? He's had to divest himself of control of his companies while serving as President. I doubt he's following too much other than just getting occasional updates from his corporate cronies. Or that's what we're supposed to believe, as former politicians and Presidents leave office significantly wealthier than when they entered.

Since you started it that’s because most don’t go in as millionaires/billionaires. They shouldn’t get richer by serving office. Trump has lost net worth due to his decision to run for office so he definitely will not make out if this. But the Clinton/Bush/Obama’s all increased wealth significantly, I wonder why? Anyway keep the politics shit out of this thread who effing cares about Mar-a-lago

Brickell305

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:26 pm

airtechy wrote:
They had two extras (9000 numbers).. at least .. on the schedule today. I thought it was 13 to ATL? Anyway, that's a lot of people moving!

Jim

I was genuinely asking. Didn’t know the exact numbers. I just know there are a sh** ton of flights on DL MCO-ATL.

airtechy

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:48 am

Brickell305 wrote:
airtechy wrote:

Jim

I was genuinely asking. Didn’t know the exact numbers. I just know there are a sh** ton of flights on DL MCO-ATL.

Absolutely. Today, it was at least an hourly shuttle!

planecane

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:45 am

Nobody has figured out how to walk the line between "be prepared" and over react to very uncertain forecasts. The cone moves with every new forecast. The 3 day cone is usually somewhat close.

I'll never understand why everybody runs to fill their car with gas. Gas cans for generators I understand but everybody filling their car to the brim accomplishes nothing but making it difficult for people in evacuation zones to get gas. If the damage is so devastating that they can't get gas tanker trucks in within a few days, where are you going to go anyway?

Back to aviation, it makes no sense to announce an airport closure more than 48 hours in advance. Any earlier and you risk closing for absolutely no reason like MCO is about to experience. MCO is 40 miles inland. If the storm stays off the coast, MCO won't experience anything stronger than a line of severe thunderstorms in the summer would produce.

chepos

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:56 am

The way it’s looking it may just be a rainy day if at that in the Orlando area. Being Florida that is not an unusual forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

BTVB6Flyer

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:58 am

MCO has indeed taken back its early closure.

"Orlando International Airport has decided to keep operations running on Monday.

The airport decided to change its plan on Saturday, which originally had them halting commercial flight operations Monday starting at 2 a.m.

Officials said they will continue to monitor Hurricane Dorian and other activity in the tropics and provide additional updates as needed."

https://www.wesh.com/article/orlando-in ... n/28873871

September11

Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:33 am

On Aug. 13, I purchased a plane ticket to MIA. And, I’m flying to MIA early morning on Sep. 3. My ticket has not changed or canceled.
Airliners.net of the Future

Bradin

Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:59 am

It is going to be interesting to see how the shift plays out and how it impacts airport operations. Hurricane Dorian is one unpredictable hurricane. It looked like Fort Lauderdale and Miami at one point was going to be hit the hardest. Now it looks like both cities and airports might escape unscathed.

CRJ200flyer

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:41 pm

Dorian is now Cat 5

DL717

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:47 pm

KFTG wrote:
mcogator wrote:
Danny wrote:

Announce he’ll be there for the next three days, have the place surrounded by protestors which will serve as a wall.

Bahamas are getting wrecked right now. Winds now at 175 mph.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

max999

Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:38 pm

planecane wrote:
Nobody has figured out how to walk the line between "be prepared" and over react to very uncertain forecasts. The cone moves with every new forecast. The 3 day cone is usually somewhat close.

I'll never understand why everybody runs to fill their car with gas. Gas cans for generators I understand but everybody filling their car to the brim accomplishes nothing but making it difficult for people in evacuation zones to get gas. If the damage is so devastating that they can't get gas tanker trucks in within a few days, where are you going to go anyway?

Back to aviation, it makes no sense to announce an airport closure more than 48 hours in advance. Any earlier and you risk closing for absolutely no reason like MCO is about to experience. MCO is 40 miles inland. If the storm stays off the coast, MCO won't experience anything stronger than a line of severe thunderstorms in the summer would produce.

You're correct, nobody has figured out how to walk that fine line. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. I don't think there's a right answer.

If you under prepare and get a direct hit... You'll be criticized for not doing enough, especially if people die. If you prepare too soon and the storm goes away, you'll be criticized for overreacting.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

MKE22

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:04 pm

max999 wrote:
planecane wrote:

You're correct, nobody has figured out how to walk that fine line. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. I don't think there's a right answer.

If you under prepare and get a direct hit... You'll be criticized for not doing enough, especially if people die. If you prepare too soon and the storm goes away, you'll be criticized for overreacting.

It's better to be over-prepared, especially when the lives of thousands of people are potentially at stake. Now, Dorian is a CAT 5 status and nobody will question whether or not taking said measures at a time of uncertainty were necessary. When it hit the Bahamas, it was the Strongest Hurricane to make Landfall on record EVER. This is going to be bad, my thoughts and prayers are with those in the Southeast U.S. and the Caribbean.

OB1504

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:04 pm

Austrian, Bahamasair, GOL, Lufthansa, and SWISS cancelled their flights into MIA today.

LATAM moved up the departure times on flights 2467 (MIA-LIM) and 7821 (MIA-EZE) and cancelled the rest of tonight’s operation.

Aer Lingus 140 to DUB is now departing 3 hours early as is British Airways 210 to LHR.

Delta added 1 extra MIA-ATL section.

Other than that, business as usual.

frmrCapCadet wrote:
I had a friend in Florida on the coast who was a nurse at a local hospital. Workers were required to report to the hospital for the duration. Children, pets, and spouses were offered shelter as well, IIRC. Do airlines offer something sort of similar. If they don't they should.

For Irma back in 2017, AA booked a bunch of rooms at the onsite hotel at MIA and two nearby hotels for their staff riding out the storm. IIRC they were allowed to bring their families and pets with them.

maverick4002

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:22 pm

usxguy wrote:
KFTG wrote:
mcogator wrote:

LMAO, really dude? You believe this?

dfwjim1

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:41 pm

I received a text from a friend saying that FLL will be closed on Monday but I checked their website and the last update said that they were monitoring the situation.

CRJ200flyer

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:25 pm

NHC 5PM Update. Max sustained winds of 185MPH. Hurricane warnings in effect for areas north of West Palm Beach.

Regardless of where the storm core goes, it appears lines of storms will be impacting the Miami area.

rj777

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:35 pm

looks like MCO might be spared which works for me because I'm not flying into Florida until Saturday (9/7)

kaminari

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:51 pm

FLL has no official closing time, but most (if not all) air carriers that haven't cancelled all flights yet expect to cease ops between 0900 and noon tomorrow.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos