Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ASFlyer

Re: MINT and other Service Cuts to JetBlue, starting 9/1

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:42 pm

jumbojet wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
flyby519 wrote:
How’s Delta’s free WiFi? Ohh... how bout dem apples?

Delta announced free wifi over a year ago:

https://skift.com/2018/09/28/delta-ceo- ... is-coming/

You do realize that DL has close to 1000 planes in their fleet and thats main line only. Plus, DL planes are much larger than B6's planes. Its not quite so simple when you have a fleet the size and scope of DL. Last time I checked B6 only has 250 planes, and nothing bigger than a breadbox (A321). Completely different set of logistics.

This is the dumbest post yet. First of all, the majority of DL's fleet are smaller or similar in size to JetBlue's fleet. The A321 is probably one of the largest narrow body airplanes flying, with the possible exception of the 757. Let's also not forget that DL has a substantial number of smaller planes in their own fleet - 737-700, 737-800, 737-900, 717, MD88, MD90, A319, A320, A222 and finally, they operate the A321 as well. If the A321 is the size of a "breadbox" then how about all those other planes in DL's fleet that are smaller than the A321? What are they? Secondly, DL has a much larger infrastructure to make the changes to wi-fi equally as fast as JetBlue does. That said, the article that IPFreely is referring to simply quoted Ed Bastian as saying free wi-fi is what he envisions for the future for Delta - it wasn't an announcement that free wi-fi was imminent.

B6WNQX

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:03 pm

OA412 wrote:
Has there been any confirmation from B6 itself that these changes will be adopted?

I was in Mint on Flight 197 last night and on the menu card it did list Tito's Vodka instead of the usual Grey Goose. Also, the cookie was not in a cardboard box when passed out. So those changes appear to have been made. You can see the alcohol changed here on the menu card:

https://www.jetblue.com/flying-with-us/ ... west-south

ClassicLover

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:10 pm

B6WNQX wrote:
I was in Mint on Flight 197 last night and on the menu card it did list Tito's Vodka instead of the usual Grey Goose. Also, the cookie was not in a cardboard box when passed out. So those changes appear to have been made. You can see the alcohol changed here on the menu card:

https://www.jetblue.com/flying-with-us/ ... west-south

I am all for the cookie not being in a cardboard box. It's such a waste and is bad for the environment. So that has to be a plus for the planet as well as the airline really.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

kiowa

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:11 pm

jumbojet wrote:
itripreport wrote:
As someone who flies both JetBlue and Delta often, sure JetBlue doesn't offer first class on many routes, but their free snacks, free wifi, free live tv, and great legroom makes up for it. Their mint routes, those cuts don't affect my will to keep flying them any more, since these are for the most part unnecessary cosmetic changes. Period, this is about JETBLUE, NOT DELTA

Thats right, this thread is about JetBlue cuts in service but some people cant help but compare them to the benchmark airline. Its also not about growth at BOS or CASM, PRASM etc.

About the WIFI, my son flew B6 the other day and complained that streaming was next to impossible. Unless your reading the news, the free WIFI is very limited in its application, so to say B6 has free WIFI, well, sure they do but not for streaming. Maybe they're also cutting back on the quality of the WIFI?

Benchmark airline? No, I believe they were comparing JetBlue to a lesser airline-Delta. Yes, sarcasm but some of these fanboy postings are so juvenile.

N505fx

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:28 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
No more Grey Goose and Bulliet Bourbon, to be replaced by Tito's and Jack (huge downgrade)

What a joke! This is a huge downgrade??? Tito's is only the most popular vodka in the USA right now and Grey Goose is garbage. It used celebrities to endorse their products to come across as a premium vodka, but that didn't last long.

As for the difference between Bulliet and Jack - yeah, nobody is going to lose sleep over that. But keep pushing your "huge downgrade" agenda :rotfl:

Amen...as a frequent drinker of all types of vodka, and just having done a Tito's / Goose taste challenge this last weekend, Tito's is far superior for what a vodka should be..Grey Goose is an overpriced fashion brand mediocre vodka at best...plus you can't beat Tito's corporate culture and philanthropy.

clrd4t8koff

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:04 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
DL747400 wrote:
With these types of cuts, it will become easier for DL to gain more ground, especially in BOS as they are ramping up the number of destinations and daily flights.

Ha, what a joke. As someone who fly's DL primarily out of BOS (work contract) there's no way DL will ever compete with B6 as long as they keep adding destinations on CR9's and E175's vs B6 on A320/321's. DL couldn't even make lie-flat's work on BOS-SFO, yet B6 is increasing BOS-SFO to 5x & 6x daily lie flats. On top of that B6 has premium cabins from BOS - SEA, LAS, SFO, LAX, SAN and BGI. DL has premium cabins to one domestic market from BOS, which is LAX. B6 owns the domestic premium market out of BOS and will continue to.

The only place DL has ground to gain from BOS is to Europe and they're doing their darnedest to preempt B6.

I don't have a horse in the B6 vs DL at BOS race but I'll take an E175 over any other airplane. Why would you prefer a cramped A320 with it's plethora of middle seats over a comfortable E175 with no middle seats?

So take a B6 E190, same config as the E75

MIflyer12

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Carriers - all service providers, actually - frequently tinker with the product not just to lower cost but to see what buyers value. Anybody want to compare the B6 list to what United has done to Polaris since it was announced? Didn't think so. This is not the end of the world for B6.

StinkyPinky

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:49 pm

Talk about over reaction. This thread is a trying to paint doom and gloom over some pretty trivial changes... a cardboard cookie box? The one that gets torn open and discarded almost immediately so the customer can eat the cookie? The cookie they chose over the fresh apples and oranges that were rarely selected, so they went to waste.

As for catering, most dont realise that for the past 20 years, majority of flights have been catered for at least a round trip-out stations dont offer catering like SMF, PHX, ONT, PDX, BUF, etc. Gate Agents supply ice as needed, and fresh food markets are packed in ice bridges for return flights. These changes are targeting flights between hubs that would get cratered again after 1 leg because it was a catering station, ie-flights between BOS and FLL. There simply isnt a need to pay for it when there is enough supplies remaining onboard to for the next flight to another catering station.

These cuts are so minor, it will be soon forgotten if noticed at all. Things aren't that bad, and the inflight service is still pretty nice. Nice try though.

BlueBaller

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:27 pm

I end up working, on average, 4 MINT flights a month. It's been 2 years since I did a Caribbean flight so this is speaking for Domestic transcon legs only. I've flown 600 hours this year. In my experience, and mine alone, the WIFI is written up probably 1% of the time on our 32S. The 320s, no more than 5%. With the amount of block hours our aircraft fly, I find that astounding. It's also really fast. I don't stream because I work on the business end of the Bus, but the only time I notice it bogging down is when our TVs are written up. And then, it's only LiveTV. Hardly ever is the entire system out. I've seen it twice in nearly 6 years.

As far as the other "cuts" there's so much fruit that gets thrown out to waste it's a wonder why we don't have station compost initiatives, knowing how much JetBlue loves a good PR campaign. It's also time for those plastic hexagonal (or is it octagonal? I don't know I'm not at work today) S/P shakers to retire. With the amount of sodium already baked into the cake, there's hardly a need, but some sustainable packaging should be replacing those. The planes aren't dirty. We've got a fruit salad offering now which is very satisfying, tasty, as well as practical.

Anyway after years of window shopping, I finally created a membership here because some of these posters probably alternate their cumulative time alive streaming P2P first person shooter games and surviving off pork rinds, their parent's internet connection and adult only p-no sites, and when they're still lookin to get their pump sumped, they make a career out of trolling JetBlue, because, let's be honest, who doesn't love a good underdog story.

usdcaguy

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:00 am

questions wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:

Because with the 2x2 config of the 190s, no one will be able to tell the difference between that and a CRJ-200.

Huge difference in terms of cabin height and seat comfort. The E190s also have bigger bins. Even KL flies them, and I find them to be just fine and definitely better than the Fokkers.

Agree, big difference.

Is DL’s use of CRJ’s at BOS for build-up purposes? Said another way, instead of using an A220 or A320 on a new market serving BOS, flooding the market with cheap seats and losing money, DL is using the most profitable aircraft for the market. Is/as the market grows, DL deploys a larger aircraft. Is that the strategy?

Or... is DL chasing small markets out of BOS that will probably never need a larger aircraft?

As a result of its upgauging markets over a number of years, it still has access to a number of regional jets it needs to deploy to make money, and its strategy of making BOS a focus city means that it wants to expand its footprint. Instead of redeploying an aircraft from markets where they are already making money, DL will often test out markets using the RJs that are left over. Whatever sticks and grows in demand will often be upgauged, but for non-hub P2P markets, DL will try to limit their exposure by flying smaller aircraft. AA does the same thing, though they seem to have more CR7s and CR9s than DL, so they are able to tackle more of those markets.

jumbojet
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:50 pm

kiowa wrote:

Benchmark airline? No, I believe they were comparing JetBlue to a lesser airline-Delta. Yes, sarcasm but some of these fanboy postings are so juvenile.

I don't think its juvenile. Look up the word benchmark. It is appropriate. Everyone on this forum, well just about everyone, makes comparisons to Delta, And not just on here, but aviation bloggers and aviation articles in general usually always compare airline 'A' to Delta.

Listen, these cuts to B6 service are probably not the last things to get cut. There are probably a ton more things B6 is planning on cutting, this is most likely just the tip of the iceberg. You never announce all your cuts at one time and you almost always never announce the really big ones so there are probably more coming, If B6 wasn't such a one dimensional airline, they probably wouldn't be talking about service cuts at a time when airlines are raking in record profits, well, at least most of them are.

One dimensional, having all their hubs on the east coast where one storm can affect almost their entire operation. Not good and not very smart. The past few days, each day, over 25% of their flights cancelled and another 10% delayed; not their fault but still, they need that hub outside of the east coast to help them out. All narrow body fleet also makes them one dimensional. In times of severe disruptions to your operations, it makes it that much harder to accommodate new, close in bookings. You would think at this point, with BOS supposedly going so strong and robust and FLL to, that they can handle a few widebodies. Instead, we hear of service cuts with more to come.

tu154

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:16 pm

Another anti-jetBlue post by jumbojet. Trying to stir the pot and over exaggerate the trivial cuts being made by jetBlue.
Let’s all put on our surprise faces.
Seriously, your hatred of jetBlue is well known and frankly a bit boorish now. You really need a hobby other than jumping at every opportunity to bash jetBlue. It’s not healthy.
FIRST ON THE ATLANTIC.....FIRST ON THE PACIFIC.....FIRST IN LATIN AMERICA...FIRST 'ROUND THE WORLD.....PAN AM!!

jumbojet
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:26 pm

tu154 wrote:
Another anti-jetBlue post by jumbojet. Trying to stir the pot and over exaggerate the trivial cuts being made by jetBlue.
Seriously, your hatred of jetBlue is well known and frankly a bit boorish now. You really need a hobby other than jumping at every opportunity to bash jetBlue. It’s not healthy.

Its not anti-B6. I've said repeatedly that B6 is a 'good' airline. In fact, I am flying them later this month and again in November. HPN to PBI and I very much look forward to these flights and making my own personal observations. I have no doubt they will be very enjoyable. I just ask for clean planes, working wifi, decent snacks and drinks and an on time departure. Now that I am retired, I will most likely be flying them a lot more as HPN is much easier to get to than EWR/JFK/LGA from where I live.

Bluewho

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:46 pm

jumbojet wrote:
tu154 wrote:

Its not anti-B6. I've said repeatedly that B6 is a 'good' airline. In fact, I am flying them later this month and again in November. HPN to PBI and I very much look forward to these flights and making my own personal observations. I have no doubt they will be very enjoyable. I just ask for clean planes, working wifi, decent snacks and drinks and an on time departure. Now that I am retired, I will most likely be flying them a lot more as HPN is much easier to get to than EWR/JFK/LGA from where I live.

Bad news as part of the cuts we are closing HPN..... I kid I kid.

juliuswong

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm

Despite warning not to turn the thread into DL, some forum members are adamant. Henceforth this thread will be locked.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos