qf789
Topic Author

Indian Aviation Thread - September 2019

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:45 am

Welcome to Indian Aviation Thread - September 2019, please continue to add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1428231
Forum Moderator

binayak

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - September 2019

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:55 am

Since I didn't see the same discussed here, DL has increased BOM freq to daily year round as against 5x weekly in summer.
I have a feeling that this time, their non stop will last long.
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

unrave

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:13 pm

So DL and UA both fly daily to BOM with AC flying 4x(?) weekly. BOM needs only AA now complete the NA quartet
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

unnayan

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:29 pm

https://www.thehindu.com/business/Indus ... 1.ece/amp/

Air India to add a special livery on a 787.. any idea which frame and what is the livery?

Is it signs that they are starting to behave like a normal airline? :)

edealinfo

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:48 pm

unrave wrote:
So DL and UA both fly daily to BOM with AC flying 4x(?) weekly.

What is the bilateral limit between India and Canada? Has Air Canada maxed out on it? If it hasn't, wouldn't it make sense for it to also increase YYZ - BOM to 7x weekly just to be competitive?

Air Canada connects a gazillion of U.S. cities to Canada. It surprises me that Air Canada hasn't capitalized on this strategic advantage to become the lead airline connecting US and India. Heck, it should have been what the ME3 combined is on the US to India market. What gives?

Also note that while there are 3 major US carriers with international operations -- UA, AA, and DL, Air Canada totally dominates Canada so it would be much easier for them to be successful in the US to India market than a US carrier or the ME3 carriers.

Separately, does Canada provide for seamless international connections?

unrave

Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:01 pm

Unfortunately no. You have to go through customs and immigration during transit also.

CPS001

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:36 pm

unnayan wrote:
https://www.thehindu.com/business/Industry/air-indias-boeing-to-turn-billboard/article29302351.ece/amp/

Air India to add a special livery on a 787.. any idea which frame and what is the livery?

Is it signs that they are starting to behave like a normal airline? :)
Which normal airline would spend money on a special livery when it can't even pay its fuel bills?

binayak

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:12 pm

unrave wrote:
So DL and UA both fly daily to BOM with AC flying 4x(?) weekly. BOM needs only AA now complete the NA quartet

AC is seasonal only . This change occurred last year .

On a side note , DL's flight doesn't seem to do well in Premium Select (I found RTs below Y fares) . D1 suite is really performing well , just 2 available on first flight .

CaliguyNYC

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:41 pm

binayak wrote:
unrave wrote:

On a side note , DL's flight doesn't seem to do well in Premium Select (I found RTs below Y fares) . D1 suite is really performing well , just 2 available on first flight .

Premium Select discount pricing is pretty common right now out of JFK. Remember it is basically brand new out of NYC. LHR and ZRH haven’t even launched yet. Don’t think any DL route out of JFK has the new product. So people are just figuring it out vs Econ Comfort. I wouldn’t read much into it. I think it will do really well to BOM. It is a long flight and even the VFR crowd out of JFK is pretty affluent.

edealinfo

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:50 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
binayak wrote:
unrave wrote:

Premium Select discount pricing is pretty common right now out of JFK. Remember it is basically brand new out of NYC. LHR and ZRH haven’t even launched yet. Don’t think any DL route out of JFK has the new product. So people are just figuring it out vs Econ Comfort. I wouldn’t read much into it. I think it will do really well to BOM. It is a long flight and even the VFR crowd out of JFK is pretty affluent.

Is “premium select” the same as premium economy?

airboss787

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:41 pm

edealinfo wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
binayak wrote:

Yes. Delta's version of Premium Economy that is found on VS, UA, AA, BA among others.
Star Alliance Gold

edealinfo

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:45 pm

airboss787 wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

Yes. Delta's version of Premium Economy that is found on VS, UA, AA, BA among others.

Ok, but just so you are aware I think that VS premium economy (Airbus 330) is miles ahead of BA's (Boeing 747) premium economy.

vadodara

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:00 am

unrave wrote:

Quiet likely from both ORD and JFK. AA, however, is busy extending routes to 2nd tier European cities like MUC fro. Hubs like DFW using 787’s. Once those routes are saturated perhaps one to BOM?

edealinfo

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:03 pm

vadodara wrote:
unrave wrote:

Quiet likely from both ORD and JFK. AA, however, is busy extending routes to 2nd tier European cities like MUC fro. Hubs like DFW using 787’s. Once those routes are saturated perhaps one to BOM?

The real question is whether they will risk losing a large corporate account by not flying to India. Note that United Airlines operated a single flight from Los Angles to New York - JFK. They were losing money on the flight but because of it, it technically had a presence in an important sector, and airport (JFK). They made a corporate decision to discontinue operations at JFK because it didn't seem to make sense to operate a station (JFK) for just 1 flight. It turned out to be a very bad decision. The lost the Disney corporate account (a huge account) because of it and God only knows how many other accounts.

The point being that a single flight, even if it is money losing, may be important in securing corporate business, which is for the larger good of the airline. It is in this context that I ask the question -- for how long can AA NOT have a flight to India?

Note that Turkish Airlines operates flights to a gazillion of countries and many of the individual routes are loss making. However, passengers on these individual routes help fill the planes on connecting flights to other parts of the world at TK's Istanbul hub. This is another example of how "parts" play an important role in the "whole" [of the operations].

edealinfo

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:29 pm

Indigo overtakes Air India to become India's #1 carrier by seats for international travel.

"While IndiGo had 11.8 per cent of all the international seats to and fro India in the last week of August, Air India's seat share was 11.4 per cent. Emirates came third with 8.1 per cent, and the rest airlines constituted 68 per cent of the seat share."

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 824_1.html?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 809088.cms

edealinfo

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:55 pm

edealinfo wrote:
See the link below and now it seems to make sense (in the Government's political world). It appears that the Government turned a blind eye to the cutting of fuel supplies since this pertains to the Haj related operations.

https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/unpai ... 278181.htm

unrave wrote:
Haj operations were *also* hit on account of fuel supply disruption.

See the link below. You may not even to have to read between the lines. It should have been obvious because even though Air India operates to several places in India, fuel supplies have only been stopped at certain airports.

https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/unpai ... 278181.htm

edealinfo

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:04 pm

Promoters’ differences resolved, focus on international expansion now, IndiGo CEO tells employees

"We should think of our home turf as a rough circle which extends from Delhi to Istanbul to Singapore to Hong Kong to Chengdu and back to Delhi. There is a lot of empty space within the circle and we should fill up that space in IndiGo colours in hurried impatience," Dutta added.

https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/promo ... 283431.htm

binayak

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:06 pm

AA's one of the best bets for India ops was ORD - BOM .
Regarding the other AA hubs :
PHL might work out well from BLR
DFW seems too far and the yields might not be worth flying this long
LAX is a good opportunity . However , it is possible that once AA starts LAX-DEL , AI starts the same , prices below average and then same story repeats .

binayak

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:10 pm

Aeroflot will restart BOM from July , 2020 .
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... july-2020/

Good timings for BOM pax and this becomes the fourth day time flight to EU from BOM .

avier

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:21 pm

binayak wrote:

Good timings for BOM pax and this becomes the fourth day time flight to EU from BOM .

Nice to see a variety of airlines restart BOM ops. Hope to see Finnair, Austrian, Alitalia, EVA Air make a comeback to the city too.

edealinfo

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:05 pm

binayak wrote:
PHL might work out well from BLR

This would likely mean that it would still be a 2 stop flight (USA to India) for the vast majority of passengers on this flight.

By the way, what are the loads on the PHL to Doha flight? That should give some indications of PHL as a site.

edealinfo

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:08 pm

binayak wrote:

This will only be helpful to those flying to Russia. For those using it as a USA to India or Europe to India option, be prepared for racist attitudes -- Russia, like no other country on this planet - is King in this respect.

edealinfo

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:11 pm

avier wrote:
Hope to see Finnair, Austrian, Alitalia, EVA Air make a comeback to the city too.

Why would Finnair and Austrian have any interest? Alitalia seems like a better fit but aren't they having financial problems? EVA too is having financial problems.

Blerg

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:14 pm

edealinfo wrote:
binayak wrote:

This will only be helpful to those flying to Russia. For those using it as a USA to India or Europe to India option, be prepared for racist attitudes -- Russia, like no other country on this planet - is King in this respect.

I don't think SU is relying on India as a point of sale but rather Europe. As for racism, it's present everywhere and I even experienced it myself at DEL yet I didn't allow one incident to define a whole nation.

avier

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:18 pm

edealinfo wrote:
avier wrote:
Hope to see Finnair, Austrian, Alitalia, EVA Air make a comeback to the city too.

Why would Finnair and Austrian have any interest? Alitalia seems like a better fit but aren't they having financial problems? EVA too is having financial problems.

Well, you could have also asked why Aeroflot had any interest? Same reason I guess. Considering BOM lost its major int'l long haul carrier, it's a nice time for foreign carriers, that disappeared from BOM when 9W was expanding its long-haulservice, to make a comeback.
Last edited by avier on Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vadodara

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:19 pm

edealinfo wrote:
The real question is whether they will risk losing a large corporate account by not flying to India. Note that United Airlines operated a single flight from Los Angles to New York - JFK. They were losing money on the flight but because of it, it technically had a presence in an important sector, and airport (JFK).

The point being that a single flight, even if it is money losing, may be important in securing corporate business, which is for the larger good of the airline. It is in this context that I ask the question -- for how long can AA NOT have a flight to India?

Dont recall if UA had a single transcontinental either to SFO or LAX from JFK.

However, it made eminent sense for UA to consolidate at EWR considering the NY area. Where they got into trouble was in trying to maintain hub's at LAX and SFO. They probably lost DIS account because they were retreating at LAX to consolidate at SFO not whether a single flight at JFK continued or not.

edealinfo

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:23 pm

MP Subramaniam Swamy (SS) seeks to prevent AirAsia India from flying overseas and the PMO, unfortunately, seems to toe his line. Why do you think SS is so interested in stalling AirAsia?

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 851065.cms

edealinfo

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:25 pm

avier wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
avier wrote:
Considering BOM lost its major int'l long haul carrier, it's a nice time for foreign carriers, that disappeared from BOM when 9W was expanding its long-haulservice, to make a comeback.

This argument makes sense.

edealinfo

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:30 pm

vadodara wrote:
However, it made eminent sense for UA to consolidate at EWR considering the NY area. Where they got into trouble was in trying to maintain hub's at LAX and SFO. They probably lost DIS account because they were retreating at LAX to consolidate at SFO not whether a single flight at JFK continued or not.

There definitely were news report in major newspapers that Disney bailed out because of the single LAX to JFK flight cancellation. That flight apparently was very popular with Disney executives, some of whom, after doing business in New York proceeded to fly to Europe from JFK. For whatever reason, Newark was unacceptable. [maybe these are movie producers or whatever]. Later, United Airways even went on to say that they regretted their decision and in hindsight would have kept it on.

edealinfo

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:35 pm

SpiceJet to launch six new international, domestic flights

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... 947249.cms?

avier

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:11 am

Air India is adding an additional 3x weekly BOM-DXB flight on the Boeing 787, being a morning departure. Looks like the entire available DXB seats of 9W have been used up primarily from BOM/DEL.

Mumbai – Dubai eff 28OCT19 Increase from 14 to 17 weekly
AI911 BOM0045 – 0240DXB 788 D
AI909 BOM0755 – 1015DXB 788 146 (new)
AI983 BOM1950 – 2155DXB 321 D

AI912 DXB0400 – 0845BOM 788 D
AI910 DXB1200 – 1630BOM 788 1
AI910 DXB1200 – 1645BOM 788 46
}(new)
AI984 DXB2340 – 0410+1BOM 321 D

They recently also announced a daily Mumbai- Kuwait & Delhi-Doha 4x weekly service.

edealinfo

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:33 pm

avier wrote:
Air India is adding an additional 3x weekly BOM-DXB flight on the Boeing 787, being a morning departure. Looks like the entire available DXB seats of 9W have been used up primarily from BOM/DEL.

}(new)

They recently also announced a daily Mumbai- Kuwait & Delhi-Doha 4x weekly service.

Interesting info and thanks.

Separately, I understand that the Air India group was arbitrarily given 50 percent of all of Jet’s international rights. Do you have information on what rights they utilized and what rights they haven’t filled as yet?

CaliguyNYC

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:43 pm

avier wrote:

}(new)

Ugh so AI doesn't even have a good schedule but still uses up so many seats (from BOM). Not very business traveler friendly. One shouldn't have to fly at crazy late/early flight times. Jet at least offered choice.

avier

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:41 pm

edealinfo wrote:

Separately, I understand that the Air India group was arbitrarily given 50 percent of all of Jet’s international rights. Do you have information on what rights they utilized and what rights they haven’t filled as yet?

Based on their "new" capacity additions to DXB after 9W went off, they should now have about ~400 weekly one-way seats available (from the 9W alloted quota). That's barely enough for an additional 1x weekly frequency using 787 or 2x weekly on an A32X. Also I'm not sure regarding their own existing rights to DXB, if they had any unused seats left.

They also got an almost equal number of seats to Doha (from 9W's rights again), so expect to hear more DOH launches in near future.

edealinfo

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:58 pm

avier wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

Based on their "new" capacity additions to DXB after 9W went off, they should now have about ~400 weekly one-way seats available (from the 9W alloted quota). That's barely enough for an additional 1x weekly frequency using 787 or 2x weekly on an A32X. Also I'm not sure regarding their own existing rights to DXB, if they had any unused seats left.

They also got an almost equal number of seats to Doha (from 9W's rights again), so expect to hear more DOH launches in near future.

Thanks. But, what about rights to other places such as Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, etc. Is Air India squatting on allocated rights or using them? For instance, AI was supposed to start Pune to Singapore but has not started it as yet.

avier

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:37 am

edealinfo wrote:
Thanks. But, what about rights to other places such as Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, etc. Is Air India squatting on allocated rights or using them? For instance, AI was supposed to start Pune to Singapore but has not started it as yet.

Dubai & Hong Kong have been well utilised. Doha, Singapore & UK (LHR) remain largely unused. They have just announced DEL-DOH 4x weekly, that's about it.
Do note, they are facing fuel crisis at certain airports and still have many a/c grounded.

unrave

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:00 pm

The earlier this airline is sold the better it is for Indian international connectivity

edealinfo

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:19 pm

avier wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

Dubai & Hong Kong have been well utilised. Doha, Singapore & UK (LHR) remain largely unused. They have just announced DEL-DOH 4x weekly, that's about it.
Do note, they are facing fuel crisis at certain airports and still have many a/c grounded.

Thank you! A separate, larger issue of my original question is to what happens when an airline does not utilize the slots it was allotted. After how many months of non utilization do the slots revert back to the Government for redistribution ? 6 months, a year, or are there no time limits?

edealinfo

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:20 pm

avier wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

Thank you! A separate, larger issue of my original question is to what happens when an airline does not utilize the slots it was allotted. After how many months of non utilization do the slots revert back to the Government for redistribution ? 6 months, a year, or are there no time limits?

CaliguyNYC

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:01 pm

avier wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

I don't know why people keep bringing up DOH and AUH. They won't be fully utilized (and they weren't fully utilized before Jet's fall). The O&D numbers are just not there. Remember Jet really didn't have too many cash cow routes. DXB and Saudi, I believe, were the only two markets that really are full (or very close). I think SIN will also be tough for the LCC's because so many travelers are business ones. Airlines that can get high paying business travelers can charge lower fairs to tourists. But let's see there is hope that SIN and London could get used. Also all the new flights out of BOM really show there is underlining confidence there. Jet just really screwed things up. Too bad they didn't rationalize their network 2 years ago. But Jet was never run like a normal business. There was an assumption that Etihad would just give them more money.

bostrv

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:36 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:

I don't know why people keep bringing up DOH and AUH. They won't be fully utilized (and they weren't fully utilized before Jet's fall). The O&D numbers are just not there. Remember Jet really didn't have too many cash cow routes. DXB and Saudi, I believe, were the only two markets that really are full (or very close). I think SIN will also be tough for the LCC's because so many travelers are business ones. Airlines that can get high paying business travelers can charge lower fairs to tourists. But let's see there is hope that SIN and London could get used. Also all the new flights out of BOM really show there is underlining confidence there. Jet just really screwed things up. Too bad they didn't rationalize their network 2 years ago. But Jet was never run like a normal business. There was an assumption that Etihad would just give them more money.

AUH wasn't from the Indian or UAE side
DOH is from the Doha side and was, or was almost at limit from the Indian side
DOH has more demand now due to World cup related construction and the embargo from the rest of GCC.

voxkel

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Looks like AI is resuming 105/106 (aka MUMBAI NEW YORK nonstop) from 25 October.

http://airindia.com/flight-status-update.htm

Currently there are 7 weekly nonstop flights from BOM to North America. It is crazy to think that in less than 4 months, there will be 28 weekly flights:
10 to NEW YORK (AI + DL)
14 to NEWARK (AI + UA)
4 to TORONTO (AC)

unrave

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:08 pm

edealinfo wrote:
avier wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

Airlines are allowed to hold them for two consecutive seasons.

CaliguyNYC

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:26 pm

voxkel wrote:
Looks like AI is resuming 105/106 (aka MUMBAI NEW YORK nonstop) from 25 October.

Currently there are 7 weekly nonstop flights from BOM to North America. It is crazy to think that in less than 4 months, there will be 28 weekly flights:
10 to NEW YORK (AI + DL)
14 to NEWARK (AI + UA)
4 to TORONTO (AC)

I think that is old. They originally temporarily suspended it, but you cannot book the flight over the peak Xmas New Years period. With Delta launching, I think the AI flight is dead. And it should be. AI should either launch EWR-DEL 3X (which is think is more needed than JFK-BOM as JFK-DEL-BOM still exists) or raise IAD-DEL to 6X or launch LAX-DEL 3X. I would say raise IAD-DEL to 6X. A 3X flight is too little and IAD-India is a huge market with Star FF.

edealinfo

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:03 pm

bostrv wrote:

AUH wasn't from the Indian or UAE side
DOH is from the Doha side and was, or was almost at limit from the Indian side
DOH has more demand now due to World cup related construction and the embargo from the rest of GCC.

You would think that with Jet’s collapse and their stoping 11 daily flights from India to AUH, Etihad would have moved quickly to fill in that gap and to utilize all Etihad’s available allotment of the bilateral. How many seats or flights has left on the table?

With DXB and Sharjah slots maxed out on both sides, AUH is THE ONLY ALTERNATIVE.

edealinfo

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:11 am

Jet Update:

The airline’s financial and operational creditors, who are owed nearly Rs 300 billion are likely to recover only $300-$400 million from the sale of Jet’s assets, the sources, who have direct knowledge of the matter, said. “The expected recovery on owned planes and real estate is $300-400 million after repaying debt tied specifically to those assets,” said one of the sources.

https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/jet-a ... 297191.htm

edealinfo

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:12 am

unrave wrote:
Airlines are allowed to hold them for two consecutive seasons.

Thanks.

RemoFlyer

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:20 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
voxkel wrote:

10 to NEW YORK (AI + DL)
14 to NEWARK (AI + UA)
4 to TORONTO (AC)

I think that is old. They originally temporarily suspended it, but you cannot book the flight over the peak Xmas New Years period. With Delta launching, I think the AI flight is dead. And it should be. AI should either launch EWR-DEL 3X (which is think is more needed than JFK-BOM as JFK-DEL-BOM still exists) or raise IAD-DEL to 6X or launch LAX-DEL 3X. I would say raise IAD-DEL to 6X. A 3X flight is too little and IAD-India is a huge market with Star FF.

No self respecting Star FF would set foot on AI. There is a slew of one stop options to India from IAD.

CollegeAviator

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:31 am

Vistara have added 2 more Boeing 737-800s to their fleet

VT-TGG is the ex VT-JFS, B737-800HGW with Boeing Sky Interior
VT-TGI is in the fleet as well, but not sure of which frame it used to be.

edealinfo

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:19 pm

CollegeAviator wrote:
Vistara have added 2 more Boeing 737-800s to their fleet

VT-TGG is the ex VT-JFS, B737-800HGW with Boeing Sky Interior
VT-TGI is in the fleet as well, but not sure of which frame it used to be.

1. with these 2 aircraft, does Vistara fleet of 737 now total 9, 10, or 11?

2. Are any more B737 expected?

3. On what routes will the 2 737’s be deployed?
Thanks

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos