edealinfo

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - September 2019

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:57 am

Naresh Goyal's son is back in business....
scion floats new company
Blinc Technologies’ services include online ticketing solutions, cab-sharing app, loyalty points platform and digi-payment system

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/sm ... 058293.cms

edealinfo

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:00 am

The Indian Civil Aviation minister is quite educated! Not your standard politician!

I am pleasantly surprised.

India Aviation Minister Puri on Air India, Jet Airways, Industry Outlook

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2 ... look-video
Last edited by edealinfo on Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

edealinfo

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:12 am

DEL is #1 for Oz tourists followed by BOM and then BLR

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 071688.cms

edealinfo

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:13 am

IndiGo to start daily flight on Amritsar-Sharjah route from Oct 1

What is India's % utilization of its bilateral with Sharjah?

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 069479.cms

edealinfo

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:17 am

After 9 months of operations, Kannur airport welcomes its 1 millionth customer. Nevertheless Kannu is operating at just 10% of it capacity, which could be significantly higher if India expanded its bilaterals with Gulf nations.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 071775.cms

edealinfo

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:18 am

Flyers in Pune rue lack of direct connectivity to east

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... 071679.cms?

edealinfo

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:33 am

Let's hope that Jewar airport (New Delhi's 2nd airport) isn't a pipe dream project.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 056497.cms

edealinfo

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:44 am

32 year old Man Impersonates 81-Year-Old To Go To US; Dreams Busted.

maybe he shouldn't have disguised himself to look a lot like Amitabh Bachann

Check the video!

https://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/ahmedab ... rt-2098547

CaliguyNYC

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:16 am

edealinfo wrote:
Air India to start additional DEL to Doha flights this winter.

Does anyone know of India carriers' % share of India's bilateral to Qatar? My guess is about 90% (at least)

https://thepeninsulaqatar.com/article/0 ... r-schedule

Which routes are airlines waiting to launch that cannot because AI holds the rights? Unless Ai has not used all of its DXB slots, I cannot think of any,

avier

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:54 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Which routes are airlines waiting to launch that cannot because AI holds the rights? Unless Ai has not used all of its DXB slots, I cannot think of any,

Doha, Singapore & UK (LHR). All remain mostly unused from what they got of Jet.

edealinfo

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:31 pm

avier wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

Do you know how many unused weekly frequencies that AI is sitting on for Doha and Singapore? For LHR it is 14X and there is zero chance AI will ever use it simply because they don’t have the cash to lease LHR slots.

CaliguyNYC

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 pm

edealinfo wrote:
avier wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

Do you know how many unused weekly frequencies that AI is sitting on for Doha and Singapore? For LHR it is 14X and there is zero chance AI will ever use it simply because they don’t have the cash to lease LHR slots.

Guys you misunderstood my question. Not questioning AI is "sitting" on rights. But which airline is waiting for rights to launch Doha, LHR or SIN? Maybe there is someone who wants SIN, but India has open skies/very liberal with SIN from most cities (just not the big metros). So what is the big deal? From what I can see, Vistara got BOM/DEL to SIN, let them start that. And LHR, I am sure Vistara will get rights once they are ready (where ready is defined as having a plane to fly route and slots at the LHR airport). I am really skeptical that all the LCC flying BOM-SIN will work. Why would a business traveler take the LCC over SQ (especially those red eye flights). Btw if an airline does want to launch flights and they are saying nothing, then I have no sympathy. If the private airlines don't start to push publicly for a open system of rights / slots allocations then it is their political / crony capital mess to stew in. AI is playing the same game all these Indian airlines do. We treat private Indian airlines like "real" businesses here on anet, but in reality they act less like real businesses than the Chinese airlines. Finally, when Indian airlines are ready, there is no doubt the GOI will expand the bilateral to both SIN and the UK. Because of the Jet collapse, I don't see the GOI expanding bilaterals to the ME3 or TK (because of Kashmir) anytime soon. The other Indian airlines are stepping up their game and need more profits to expand further while EU, US and Asian airlines have also stepped up. So in the end the ME3/TK have been successfully sidestepped.

avier

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:36 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
But which airline is waiting for rights to launch Doha, LHR or SIN? Maybe there is someone who wants SIN, but India has open skies/very liberal with SIN from most cities (just not the big metros). So what is the big deal? From what I can see, Vistara got BOM/DEL to SIN, let them start that. And LHR, I am sure Vistara will get rights once they are ready

Vistara definitely wants more SIN rights. Those two daily frequencies are clearly not enough for them. They'd want to connect all the metro's (plus PNQ) to SIN for sure, to feed big papa SQ's huge network.
6E has tons of flights to DOH, and is still hungry for more rights/seats for the same. GoAir has been eyeing DOH too.

Both the carriers (6E/Vistara) are eyeing London (with Spice too maybe), and Vistara definitely wanting more than just a 7/weekly to LHR.

avier

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:45 pm

GoAir to commence Kannur- Kuwait from Sept 19th.
New destination in the gulf for the airline. 6E already flies this route daily.

unrave

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:11 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Maybe there is someone who wants SIN, but India has open skies/very liberal with SIN from most cities (just not the big metros). So what is the big deal?

PNQ-SIN is a major casualty of AI's inability to launch flights.
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

avier

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:48 pm

GoAir announces a slew of new flights from Oct:

Kolkata- Guwahati x2
Kolkata- Lucknow
Guwahati- Aizawl
Ahmedabad- Chandigarh
Ahmedabad- Lucknow
Delhi - Chandigarh

airboss787

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:16 am

Sorry for the bad quality picture and the orientation. Please tell me how to embed pictures.

But coming to the topic, I took this picture at DEL last month of what looks like an AirAsia and IndiGo hybrid livery. The plane looks to be ex-IndiGo but had AirAsia titles on it. Does anyone know anything about this? I did not know IndiGo was leasing planes out to AirAsia? Or is this a retired frame that AirAsia just picked up and didn't bother to repaint?
Star Alliance Gold

unnayan

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:58 am

airboss787 wrote:

Sorry for the bad quality picture and the orientation. Please tell me how to embed pictures.

But coming to the topic, I took this picture at DEL last month of what looks like an AirAsia and IndiGo hybrid livery. The plane looks to be ex-IndiGo but had AirAsia titles on it. Does anyone know anything about this? I did not know IndiGo was leasing planes out to AirAsia? Or is this a retired frame that AirAsia just picked up and didn't bother to repaint?

It looks to be VT-BKK, an ex Indigo aircraft now with Air Asia

zionite

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:24 am

airboss787 wrote:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/omniflyers/photos/a.533379273416758/2206002342821101/?type=3&theater

VT-BKK (Ex-Indigo VT-IKF) joined Air Asia India sometime in mid-May 2019 during the rush of airlines to add aircraft to claim slots after the collapse of Jet Airways.

IndiaKerala

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:32 am

avier wrote:
Indigo stopped this route due to poor loads.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

avier

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:37 am

IndiaKerala wrote:
avier wrote:

IndiGo still operates this route - 6E1755.

IndiaKerala

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:39 am

avier wrote:
IndiaKerala wrote:
avier wrote:

Stopped wef 1 October 2019 as per SSC

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

avier

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:59 am

IndiaKerala wrote:
avier wrote:
IndiaKerala wrote:

Hmm .. interesting. Wonder if thats temporary. Also suprising then GoAir would launch this route, and add a new int'l station for such a route.

unrave

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:07 am

avier wrote:
IndiaKerala wrote:
avier wrote:

Hmm .. interesting. Wonder if thats temporary. Also suprising then GoAir would launch this route, and add a new int'l station for such a route.

GoAir has made CNN its home. Perhaps they believe they can make this route work given their better feed to CNN compared to IndiGo

avier

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:21 am

unrave wrote:
GoAir has made CNN its home. Perhaps they believe they can make this route work given their better feed to CNN compared to IndiGo

IndiGo infact has more departures than GoAir at Kannur, and connects to more domestic destinations, including tier 2 cities. GoAir only connects to the tier 1 metro's from Kannur, which are already well connected to the gulf, so not sure what feed they could get out of it.

avier

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:58 am

Air India’s Operations Director de-rostered for flying low-fuel plane

..had operated AI-302 Delhi-Sydney flight on low fuel and has failed to provide a reason for it before DGCA..
As the Director of Operations, Singh heads all the pilots of the airline.

https://m.hindustantimes.com/india-news ... Gp6YL.html

Wonder if their main head of pilots does this, what the rest of their crew must be doing.

ameya

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:34 am

Which is India’s largest international airline — IndiGo or Air India?

CAPA, the airline consulting firm, set the cat among pigeons last week when it said IndiGo overtook Air India by the number of seats deployed on international departures. IndiGo did not show any elation with the finding — it chose to ignore actually — but Air India made no bones about its unhappiness with the information.

Nonetheless, the CAPA finding triggered a raging debate on social media about airline capacity. Is it a measure of seats or a measure of ASKs (Available Seat Kilometers)?

As the dust settles down, let’s look at the finer details and understand what each measure means and where do these airlines stand as of July 2019.

Why is capacity measured in ASK and not seats?

With thin margins and cyclical nature of the business, aviation relies a lot on data to understand, sustain and grow routes. This data analytics requires a common base for calculation.

Imagine two flights, one to Dubai and another to London from New Delhi, being operated by the same type of aircraft with the same number of seats. If one starts calculating the average fare for both the flights by merely dividing the total revenue by the total available seats, the fare will be very high for Delhi–London, yet the flight may not be profitable or makes lesser profits than Delhi–Dubai.

FligtReporter

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Flynas Is commencing its flights from Dammam,Riyadh and Jeddah to Lucknow on their Airbus A320...It will be intresting to spot the 320 and wonder how it would experience for passengers to fly almost 6 hours long flight.

I wonder if Flynas being an LCC could make this route happen then why cant IndiGo do it or couldnt it ?

Saudi Arabian Airlines daily flies its A330-300 From Jeddah and Riyadh to Lucknow daily and already goes full load per day and with flynas adding too its a win for both LKO and KSA.

FligtReporter

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Vistara has been Rated 5 Star by a much credible Agency than thr fake Faketrax..so Yes Im buying their result Any given second.

Congrats 5StaraVistara

https://connect.apex.aero/news/468882/A ... HONORS.htm

vadodara

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:48 pm

ameya wrote:
Which is India’s largest international airline — IndiGo or Air India?

CAPA, the airline consulting firm, set the cat among pigeons last week when it said IndiGo overtook Air India by the number of seats deployed on international departures. IndiGo did not show any elation with the finding — it chose to ignore actually — but Air India made no bones about its unhappiness with the information.

Nonetheless, the CAPA finding triggered a raging debate on social media about airline capacity. Is it a measure of seats or a measure of ASKs (Available Seat Kilometers)?

As the dust settles down, let’s look at the finer details and understand what each measure means and where do these airlines stand as of July 2019.

Why is capacity measured in ASK and not seats?

With thin margins and cyclical nature of the business, aviation relies a lot on data to understand, sustain and grow routes. This data analytics requires a common base for calculation.

Imagine two flights, one to Dubai and another to London from New Delhi, being operated by the same type of aircraft with the same number of seats. If one starts calculating the average fare for both the flights by merely dividing the total revenue by the total available seats, the fare will be very high for Delhi–London, yet the flight may not be profitable or makes lesser profits than Delhi–Dubai.

These metrics dont matter a whole lot other than an indication of capacity since it is not an indication of actual performance.

Air India can choose to have bragging rights since they have no obligation to actually make money.

unrave

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:48 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
Flynas Is commencing its flights from Dammam,Riyadh and Jeddah to Lucknow on their Airbus A320...It will be intresting to spot the 320 and wonder how it would experience for passengers to fly almost 6 hours long flight.

I wonder if Flynas being an LCC could make this route happen then why cant IndiGo do it or couldnt it ?

Saudi Arabian Airlines daily flies its A330-300 From Jeddah and Riyadh to Lucknow daily and already goes full load per day and with flynas adding too its a win for both LKO and KSA.

Saudi Arabia is making full use of the recent liberal increase in bilateral flying rights

vadodara

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:24 pm

unrave wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

Saudi Arabia is making full use of the recent liberal increase in bilateral flying rights

So allowing frequencies to 2nd tier/3rd tier cities like Lucknow was a good thing.

Besides improving connectivity it appears that it has also bought political influence.

edealinfo

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:45 pm

unrave wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

What's Lucknow's connection with Saudi?

edealinfo

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:05 am

India-Poland direct flight connecting New Delhi with Warsaw to be launched on September 12. LOT Polish will operate it five times a week

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 394830.ece

edealinfo

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:14 am

Vistara gets Rs 500-crore fund infusion from Tata Sons, Singapore Airlines

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 594_1.html

edealinfo

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:18 am

Domestic air passenger traffic slips to 1.8%
Also, international traffic catered by domestic airlines "de-grew" in July

https://www.thehansindia.com/business/d ... 18--563333

edealinfo

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:27 am

Govt refuses airlines’ plea for more bilateral rights

"The Narendra Modi government is set to continue in its second term the policy of not increasing foreign flying rights with countries in West Asia and Southeast Asia, as their allocation has been controversial in the past and was flagged by Indian audit and investigation agencies."

Comments?

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 092599.cms

edealinfo

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:42 am

Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train fare to be around Rs 3,000, says official

what's the air fare for this route, comparatively?

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 045_1.html

edealinfo

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:45 am

25 years on, Polish flag carrier restarts Delhi-Warsaw route
https://www.livemint.com/companies/news ... 07912.html
slated to fly five times a week, two-and-a-half decades after it discontinued its regular flight via Tashkent between the two capitals in 1994.

"We normally fly three weekly flights from new destinations. But, there is demand on this route, enough for us to start five weekly flights," said LOT Polish Airlines' chief executive Rafal Milczarski.

The airline, which is a part of Star Alliance, also has code share with Indian national carrier Air India.

The airline will fly the Boeing 787-8 and Boeing 787-9 between New Delhi and Warsaw. While LOT Polish Airlines' Boeing 787-8 planes have been configured with 252 seats, the airline's Boeing 787-9 planes are configured to have 294 seats.

CollegeAviator

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Another new destination for Vistara - Indore

Daily direct flights from New Delhi starting October 26th 2019

UK913 DEL IDR 0655 0820 320 D
UK914 IDR DEL 0855 1025 320 D

FligtReporter

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:48 pm

SPICEJET is showing LUCKNOW in their destination list while booking...Probably they are planing to start Lucknow operations.

Does anyone have news related to this ?

edealinfo

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:14 am

Maybe Caliguy can explain how issuing bonds and repaying existing debt, will improve the balance sheet....

I don't get it.....isn't issuing bonds, creating a debt by the issuer?

https://www.businesstoday.in/sectors/av ... 78747.html

JOYA380B747

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:05 am

edealinfo wrote:

To put it simply, Lucknow's sizeable Islamic population that supports year round religious tourism, over and above the usual Hajj season.
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

edealinfo

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:35 pm

JOYA380B747 wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

To put it simply, Lucknow's sizeable Islamic population that supports year round religious tourism, over and above the usual Hajj season.

Ok, makes sense.

And, what's the logic of Vistara opening Indore as a new route from Delhi? I understand that they also opened Udaipur and Jodhpur as additional destinations but the logic for these were that tourists were willing to shell $ for a full service flight.

edealinfo

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:42 pm

JOYA380B747 wrote:
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

How could this be true? For instance, SYD to LHR passes through China and no where through India
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LHR-SYD

MEL- LHR (only passes at the very edge of India's far eastern states that doesn't have an international airport)
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LHR-MEL

Perth -LHR only skims through southern India
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LHR-per

So, if I understand that maps correctly, India is not an ideal stop over point from Australia to London. Maybe, I am not understanding your viewpoint or logic.

edealinfo

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Go Airlines values itself at Rs 20,000 crore and will offload 25% for Rs 5,000 crore via an IPO.

Is 20,000 crore a fair valuation....how does that compare to spicejet and indigo?

https://www.financialexpress.com/market ... 0/1705759/

edealinfo

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:12 pm

What checks/tests on Boeing 737 mAX will DGCA conduct that will not already be conducted by FAA? And frankly does DGCA have expertise that is of a higher level that what is already with FAA? What I see is a waste of airline money with the DGCA insisting on going on joyrides on airplanes all for themselves (so as to "check/test" the aircraft by themselves). O' brother!

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/ ... 33190.html

A senior official of the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) told PTI that the regulator will "conduct its own checks once the US aviation regulator Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) gives the green light to the 737 Max plane".

edealinfo

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Delhi to be world's largest megapolis by 2024: Puri

if there is any truth to this report, airlines based in DEL (indigo, Air India and Vistara) will have it good. Think about it -- if DEL is bigger than Beijing which already has 3 airports of which 2 are mega airports with capacity of over 100 million each.

https://content.magicbricks.com/propert ... 08648.html

Blerg

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Wasn't there a plan to build a second airport in New Delhi?

lightsaber

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:12 pm

edealinfo wrote:
JOYA380B747 wrote:

How could this be true? For instance, SYD to LHR passes through China and no where through India
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LHR-SYD

MEL- LHR (only passes at the very edge of India's far eastern states that doesn't have an international airport)
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LHR-MEL

Perth -LHR only skims through southern India
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LHR-per

So, if I understand that maps correctly, India is not an ideal stop over point from Australia to London. Maybe, I am not understanding your viewpoint or logic.

First, than you for the links. India, BOM or DEL is a much more ideal hub for Australia than the ME3. Every line you draw goes far north of DXB, yet they are the hub.

India, due to business ties, should have been the partner of QF. Policies and taxes made that a non starter. Connections seed growth. India would have far more connections to Europe if 30% to 50% of the outgoing seats were international to International connections.

But that opportunity was and continues to be forfeited. The taxes on Indian aviation fuel are greater than connection profits. In fact, those taxes ensure competitors have a pricing advantage on any long routes their hubs are somewhat well placed for.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos