Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Delta28L

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - September 2019

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:22 am

avier wrote:
Mumbai airport's main runway 09/27 will remain shut from Nov'19 to March '20. Will remain shut six days a week Mon- Sat from 9.30am to 5.30pm IST. Secondary runway will be in use at that time.

https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/expec ... 442071.htm

Can the secondary runway handle 777s and A330s and A380s safely?

avier

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:55 am

Delta28L wrote:
Can the secondary runway handle 777s and A330s and A380s safely?

It was made A380 compliant recently, so yes can handle them. The ULR flights of AI/UA on BOM-EWR will operate beyond those maintenance hours, so not an issue. All other non-ULR WB flights can easily use that runway.

unrave

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:40 pm

The problem with the secondary runway is not its ability to handle WB flights but its ability to handle as many aircraft in an hour as the main runway.
It is a concern that the runway requires recarpeting so often.
17April2019: RIP Jet Airways

lightsaber

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:08 pm

unrave wrote:
The problem with the secondary runway is not its ability to handle WB flights but its ability to handle as many aircraft in an hour as the main runway.
It is a concern that the runway requires recarpeting so often.

The main issue is BOM normally handles about a thousand flights per day. Most passengers will not willingly fly the darkest hours of the night.

This will be slightly worse than the earlier in the year capacity constraints at DXB:
1. Longer duration
2. Secondary runway has less capacity per hour (as noted), due to taxi way layout, than primary runway

The link say 35/hour (vs. 45). So the prior configuration could handle 1,100 flights in a normal 14 hour operations of an airport with recovery capacity in off hours. The secondary runway can handle 490 in 15 hours, not even half capacity. 840 in 24 hours if there is no recovery from any delay +automatic cancelled flights). I've heard that an airport must use 25% to 35% of capacity to recover from off nominal opperations.

This doesn't bode well for BOM. It is a shame the new airport isn't yet close to being open to handle the needed traffic.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

VTORD

Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:13 pm

vadodara wrote:
True, Hounslow and surrounding area happens to be a central point. Except the restrictions at LHR are well know.

STN is still reasonably well connected. Not to mention residents outside of London, e.g. Birmingham, could find it convenient to access STN. Route may be politically motivated, but worth running a flight IMHO.

At that point you are better of just running a flight to BHX rather than the 2.5 hr trek to Stansted! And they already run a DEL- ATQ - BHX 3 x weekly don't they? Just increase the frequency there.

yashk wrote:

Would it not make more sense to increase frequency on BOM-FRA or DEL-SYD/MEL? Pretty sure once privatized, AMD-LHR, ATQ-BHX/STN and other political routes would be the first ones out.

I sometimes wonder if they are just running AMD-LHR to hold on to the slot until they can add something more economically viable. Like making BLR daily. It's 4xWeekly still yeah?

re: SYD/MEL, I recall reading on anna.aero that DEL-AKL is an un-served route. Maybe DEL-SYD/MEL-AKL might be worth a shot. Something along the lines of QF's SYD-LAX-JFK?

yashk

Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:53 pm

VTORD wrote:
yashk wrote:

Would it not make more sense to increase frequency on BOM-FRA or DEL-SYD/MEL? Pretty sure once privatized, AMD-LHR, ATQ-BHX/STN and other political routes would be the first ones out.

I sometimes wonder if they are just running AMD-LHR to hold on to the slot until they can add something more economically viable. Like making BLR daily. It's 4xWeekly still yeah?

re: SYD/MEL, I recall reading on anna.aero that DEL-AKL is an un-served route. Maybe DEL-SYD/MEL-AKL might be worth a shot. Something along the lines of QF's SYD-LAX-JFK?

Highly doubt they are waiting for something more profitable. When 9W shut down, AI should have shuffled around their existing slots to increase BOM-LHR. There could not have been a more valuable use of that slot.

voxkel

Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:36 pm

yashk wrote:
VTORD wrote:
yashk wrote:

Highly doubt they are waiting for something more profitable. When 9W shut down, AI should have shuffled around their existing slots to increase BOM-LHR. There could not have been a more valuable use of that slot.

AI doesn't have the best reputation in BOM to begin with. JFK failed (is it restarting October?) and LHR is 1 daily 788. Does anybody know how BOM-LHR is doing since 9W is now gone?

Knowing AI strategies of connecting as many Indian cities to London, it wouldn't be inconceivable for AI to make BOM-LHR 3/wk. They can use 777 instead of 787 (to make up for some lost capacity), and start 3x LHR-GOI or CCU. The only issue is whether or not AI would fill any F out of BOM. They are already having a rough time at DEL filling F.

trinidadeG

Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:29 pm

Air India's BOM-LHR was upped to a Triple Seven within days of Jet Airways ceasing ops on that route..

vadodara

Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:17 pm

VTORD wrote:
vadodara wrote:
True, Hounslow and surrounding area happens to be a central point. Except the restrictions at LHR are well know.

STN is still reasonably well connected. Not to mention residents outside of London, e.g. Birmingham, could find it convenient to access STN. Route may be politically motivated, but worth running a flight IMHO.

At that point you are better of just running a flight to BHX rather than the 2.5 hr trek to Stansted! And they already run a DEL- ATQ - BHX 3 x weekly don't they? Just increase the frequency there.

Again, not defending the logic of ATQ-STN. Considering that AI was saddled by 777's and 787's it did not need or could afford, what does one do with aircraft sitting on the ramp?

binayak

Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:36 am

I think this whole ATQ to London mission would've been better had AI provided onward connections to US/Canada via interline . Only relying on O&D will be too risky .
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

FligtReporter

Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:39 am

A Great News Finally..Vistara has opened booking for Flights to UNESCO World Heritage Site and My Favourite place on Planet KHAJURAHO Eff.05 Nov !!

Vistara will dly DAILY from DELHI and MUMBAI ( VIA ) Varanasi to KHAJURAHO.

Its a great news as it will connect tourists from two biggest cities and foriegners via Varanasi which is a centre of attraction due to its ancient civilisation and with this tourists can enjoy two of the oldest cities of the world.

Though Tickets are costlier than what I would pay for a flight to Thailand or Malaysia But its worth it and Im permitted....So Im on way to Book my flights to My Paradise !!

Bye Guys !!

lightsaber

Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:56 am

Indigo cutting fuel bill with NEOs. 37% of aircraft now NEOs. The link puts International air travel as the reason, but if you have 37% * 15% reduction=5.55% reduction in fuel burn.

https://www.bing.com/amp/s/www.moneycon ... 1.html/amp

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

BA777FO

Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:30 pm

Apparently Air India will start a Goa-London Heathrow flight twice per week from November.

Does anyone have any details? I'm finding them hard to come by. Also, if true, any idea where the LHR slots are coming from?

FligtReporter

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:43 pm

Instead of flying to filthy downmarket and overcrowded place like Goa AI should start a flight to World Heritage Diamond of India Khajuraho !

Im hoping Air India to start seasonal Direct flights between London to Khajuraho..It will be a great boost to tourism and showcasing the true Indian beauty at its best.

They can operate their 787s on this sector because the Worlds most beautiful Airport HJR can accomodate the 788s I believe.

SeanM1997

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:25 pm

BA777FO wrote:
Apparently Air India will start a Goa-London Heathrow flight twice per week from November.

Does anyone have any details? I'm finding them hard to come by. Also, if true, any idea where the LHR slots are coming from?

Apparently on CAPA it says the route but I don't have access and its behind a paywall. If anyone has details please could you send me them

binayak

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:12 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
Instead of flying to filthy downmarket and overcrowded place like Goa AI should start a flight to World Heritage Diamond of India Khajuraho !

Im hoping Air India to start seasonal Direct flights between London to Khajuraho..It will be a great boost to tourism and showcasing the true Indian beauty at its best.

They can operate their 787s on this sector because the Worlds most beautiful Airport HJR can accomodate the 788s I believe.

Both the routes will sound good on paper . The reality is it's difficult to make such long hauls profitable . And here we're talking about AI who couldn't even start a second daily BOM-LHR after 9W shutdown (note that once upon a time , they had 2x daily 744s on the same route).
HJR will definitely see a huge rise in tourism both domestic and int'l but a non stop to LHR is far .

Last but not the least , Goa is filthy ?? & downmarket?? Hearing such description for the first time !
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

Flywithus

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:00 pm

Did 9W remove personal TV screens on all their 737s in favour of WiFi streaming? Are SG and UK using the WiFi capabilities on the 737s ?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

FligtReporter

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:30 pm

binayak wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

Both the routes will sound good on paper . The reality is it's difficult to make such long hauls profitable . And here we're talking about AI who couldn't even start a second daily BOM-LHR after 9W shutdown (note that once upon a time , they had 2x daily 744s on the same route).
HJR will definitely see a huge rise in tourism both domestic and int'l but a non stop to LHR is far .

Last but not the least , Goa is filthy ?? & downmarket?? Hearing such description for the first time !

I dont mean to be rude but Goa has been destroyed by Non Goan folks who have ruined the beaches and beauty of the place..and that has caused rise in crimes and many reports have confirmed that majority of times criminals being outsiders and Non goans its a bitter reality..but true.
I guess its because of easy access to that place by trains roads and flights.

This is why Khajuraho is my favourite and is the real diamond because of its geographical location,its near tiger reserve,Diamond mines and protected forest area and reaching there is only on a one way train track and few trains or a desolate road and Flight and mostly 5 star hotels so only those nearby or those who can afford it can reach there which has kept it protected and safe from those who just wanna destroy anything precious they can get their cursed presence on.

Hampi is another gem hidden treasure of India like Khajuraho

voxkel

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:00 pm

Per Wikipedia GOI LHR commences on 22 November. Capa link is blocked due to pay wall. Don't know where they will get slots at LHR though.

SeanM1997

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:01 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

Apparently on CAPA it says the route but I don't have access and its behind a paywall. If anyone has details please could you send me them

There is no indication on CAPA's site that it will go to London Heathrow. Can anyone give a further update?

yashk

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:56 pm

FligtReporter wrote:

This is the most absurd comment I have seen on anet so far. Thank god you don’t run an airline lol. There are 100 other ways to boost tourism than start a flight to Heathrow. Before a non stop flight to Delhi and Bombay, you want a flight to LHR

CollegeAviator

Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:14 pm

Flywithus wrote:
Did 9W remove personal TV screens on all their 737s in favour of WiFi streaming? Are SG and UK using the WiFi capabilities on the 737s ?

9W did not remove TV screens on the 737s that did have it, barring VT-JBC, VT-JGX and VT-JGY: these were reconfigured in 2014/2015 anyway. The deadweight may have been one of several reasons 9W lost money - then again reinstalling new seats on several 737s would've been expensive too..

JOYA380B747

Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:25 am

It probably will be a LGW-GOI flight to cater and probably comes in the heels of the recent downfall of Thomas Cook, although that was from MAN. Their winter service to GOI won't operate and as a result has left a large void in seasonal UK traffic to Goa.
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

VTCIE

Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:52 am

Pity that the time to close this month’s thread has come. I loved the 2,000-plus-post Indian Aviation thread of last year.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

CollegeAviator

Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:24 am

CollegeAviator wrote:
Flywithus wrote:

9W did not remove TV screens on the 737s that did have it, barring VT-JBC, VT-JGX and VT-JGY: these were reconfigured in 2014/2015 anyway. The deadweight may have been one of several reasons 9W lost money - then again reinstalling new seats on several 737s would've been expensive too..

And to answer the 2nd part of the question - Vistara & Spice have their own streaming services, while the tv screens have been deactivated.

unnayan

Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:57 pm

Spicejet to lease 4 737 max of Jet... Guess they must have got a heck of a deal.. with the aircrafts still grounded....
https://www.news18.com/news/auto/spicej ... 29059.html

FligtReporter

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:10 pm

AI cancelling DEL-AGR-HJR-VNS-HJR-DEL for ON season OCT - MARCH...weird why would they do this..Not expected ths from the national carier !

Hope when privatises AI would act like a true national carier !

subramak1

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:51 pm

edealinfo wrote:
The Indian Civil Aviation minister is quite educated! Not your standard politician!

I am pleasantly surprised.

India Aviation Minister Puri on Air India, Jet Airways, Industry Outlook

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2 ... look-video

He was a diplomat before becoming a politician, so not surprised.

K.K

avier

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:53 am

IndiGo likely to launch Delhi-Tbilisi-London flights from 1 January 2020. No confirmation or schedules for the same yet.

Blerg

Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:11 am

avier wrote:
IndiGo likely to launch Delhi-Tbilisi-London flights from 1 January 2020. No confirmation or schedules for the same yet.

I was hoping they gave up on that silly idea. They are going to be massacred by the competition which already offers low fares, non-stop flights and a much superior service for the price. I hoped IndiGo learned something from their IST adventure.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:20 am

Please continue discussion in Indian Aviation Thread - October 2019

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1432205
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos